• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Shell launches August 18

Kamina

Golden Boy
Urgh, Epic Game Store exclusive

But the game is very interesting judging from Karak Karak ’s review.
Maybe I will jump in with the PS4 version next month.

GymWolf

If my discount coupon still work on epic store i probably will buy this for 20 euros.

For people who played the beta, how is the feeling of combat and movement compared to other souls like?

similar to ashen? surge? lord of the fallen? dark souls? nioh? others?

Last edited:

Lux R7

If my discount coupon still work on epic store i probably will buy this for 20 euros.

For people who played the beta, how is the feeling of combat and movement compared to other souls like?

similar to ashen? surge? lord of the damned? dark souls? nioh? others?

To me it felt like a better lords of the fallen (way better actually).
I really enjoyed the beta, looking forward to play this game.

R6Rider

Gold Member

similar to ashen? surge? lord of the damned? dark souls? nioh? others?

It felt mostly like Dark Souls and Bloodborne to me. The combat can feel fast or slow depending on what shell you are using. The biggest difference that makes this game stand out to me was the harden aspect. Basically you press the button at any time (its on a cooldown) and it can protect you from damage, interrupt combos, stop enemies attacks, enable counter attacks/parry, etc. It feels great to use once you get used to it.

You can also get a Lute and it has multiple songs lol

Vaelka

I am going to play it but I am a bit disappointed about the whole '' shell '' thing and how you're basically playing as a blank slate in a way.
I wish it had a character creation like in Dark Souls.

Eeeew Epic store exclusive tho......

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
how's the difficulty?
According to some reviews it seems that the "harden" ability to turn yourself into stone can be easily exploited.
ACG's review stated that the game is easier than othee souls, but not too easy tho.

CAB_Life

I bought this game mistakenly thinking that it had multiplayer. It does not. At least I have Remnant and its upcoming DLC to tide me over until some inevitable patches hit — for both this and Hellpoint.

I still don’t think that there’s a better game than Remnant to have reinvented/ freshened the souls formula. Can’t wait to see what the team does next.

jaysius

Banned
$40 CND on PSN $32 on Epic Game store... not much of a console tax, but enough to push this into a "wait for sale" for me. I know our money is worthless but it still sucks, it pushes this into a different "budget" game bracket, at least to me.

This will go on sale, also some reviews mention bad frame drops on Xbox One X, so I bet they'll be there on PS4 Pro, I'll wait for
GEbbfDL.jpg

Last edited:

SCB3

I bought this game mistakenly thinking that it had multiplayer. It does not. At least I have Remnant and its upcoming DLC to tide me over until some inevitable patches hit — for both this and Hellpoint.

I still don’t think that there’s a better game than Remnant to have reinvented/ freshened the souls formula. Can’t wait to see what the team does next.
Have you tried the Surge 2? That does some interesting stuff for the genre

Rikkori

Have you tried the Surge 2? That does some interesting stuff for the genre

It's really fun & well executed imo. My favourite "soulsy" game for sure, even above the OGs. But I'm way more into the corpo-dystopia sci-fi atmosphere than the dark fantasy these games usually choose. :)

W4brchT.gif

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I really do not get the hold Steam has on people, I go where the best deal, this for example is costing me £15 as I still have a £10 off coupon from the last Epic sale

You might not care about having your credit card information on multiple stores ... but I do.

Reactions: MrS

pr0cs

Saved my coupon from the last EGS sale putting a huge dent on the cost of this which is why I bought. I feel sad for those Steam zealots that like paying more for games.
Hopefully the game runs OK on my laptop, worst case I use my real PC instead.

MrS

Banned
From what I've seen in reddit, there's a HDR option but it doesn't look like it works properly.
Thanks for this. Just had another look on Twitter and while the option is there in the menu, it's greyed out for everybody playing on Xbox and PS4. Devs have said they'll patch it in. Will wait to pull the trigger til it's fixed.

WindomURL

Don't know what it is about this game but it's really pissing me off. Must be a case of the git guds. But I swear it feels....off somehow. The hardening mechanic feels messy, along with the dodge and roll not feeling right. Hard to articulate beyond that at this point, but I'm gonna keep trying.

Send prayers.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Any verdict on the games length? Reports are ranging from 20+, to 15 and even 10 hours only.
A lets play on youtube i got recommended today was at below 8 hours.
Very conflicting 😕

Whats your take on this, Karak Karak ?

Kamina

Golden Boy
I'm fine with that length if there's some replayability. Any info NG+ and such?
Reports varying that strongly give me conflicting feelings though.
It does feature NG+, but the replayability is appearently not close to that of a Souls game or Nioh.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Any verdict on the games length? Reports are ranging from 20+, to 15 and even 10 hours only.
A lets play on youtube i got recommended today was at below 8 hours.
Very conflicting 😕

Whats your take on this, Karak Karak ?

It will take about 15 hours to beat, give or take depending on how good you are at the game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fuck, I accidentally beat the game????

Kamina

Golden Boy
Sounds like you're the one being exclusive to a PC digital store.
Who wants to have a dozen of launchers?
Steam
uplay
origin
GOG
Epic
Blizzard

its just annoying. Steam has the largest library, and i can understand that people are angry when Epic with their maleware store app, buys timed exclusives.

SCB3

Steam
uplay
origin
GOG
Epic
Blizzard

its just annoying. Steam has the largest library, and i can understand that people are angry when Epic with their maleware store app, buys timed exclusives.

Just use GoG and sync the rest to it if it bothers you that much

SCB3

This first boss is kicking my ass, he has like 0 stagger on the harden and powers through it and then I'm only doing chip damage to him it seems, I got him about halfway but then 1 or 2 hits I'm donw

I really dislike the "Getting back into your shell" mechanic having no iFrames, it can be a little unfair as you're stuck in a animation getting into it whilst enemies can still hurt you

Chupanibre

Steam
uplay
origin
GOG
Epic
Blizzard

I use GoG Galaxy and it's all synced in one place. Not that annoying.

Reactions: GHG
Top Bottom