• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Shell launches August 18

TitusTroy

I'm still very early in the game but I'm liking it...Dark Souls lite...the hardening mechanic is cool but takes some getting used to...only thing I don't understand is when my Shell gets killed how do I get it back?...do I need to go back to the exact spot I found it or are there multiple shells scattered around each map?

Umbral

I’m pretty early. Still in Fallgrim figuring things out. It took some getting used to, much like my first time playing a Souls game. Frustration and confusion are just part of it until you can understand what the game is and how it works. I think this game could be something special. I want to see them keep polishing and refining it. There’s something great here.

I still only have the first shell. Found a second one buy I need to return later when I’m better and maybe more powerful to get it. I like the music and the atmosphere.

Two quick aggravations: The game looks a little soft. Not sure if it’s just a console thing or what. Another thing is that it only have 8 directions to move in, like Dark Souls 2. It’s annoying but it doesn’t ruin the game. I hope they patch it so you can move completely freely like the other Souls games.

I'm still very early in the game but I'm liking it...Dark Souls lite...the hardening mechanic is cool but takes some getting used to...only thing I don't understand is when my Shell gets killed how do I get it back?...do I need to go back to the exact spot I found it or are there multiple shells scattered around each map?

Hardening took a while to get the hang of. I had to think of it like a limited shield. I just played around in an open space for a bit to understand how the game feels and works. I‘m making progress now.

When I’ve gotten killed I had a chance to get back in it. If I die after that I still respawn as my shell but I have to return to where I died to recover my tar.

Umbral

Just got my second shell and think I’ve found my footing. Loving it. This shell is exactly what I was hoping for.

j0hnnix

Definitely enjoying this. Got all shells and weapons but sticking with Eredrim w/ chisel & hammer have it almost fully upgraded for damage. Finished the middle boss since I was just running around the areas like a crazy man. I am hoping sales are good and we get dlc and down the line a mortal shells 2.

TitusTroy

I've gotten the hang of the combat but I have no idea where to go or what I'm supposed to be doing...talked to few NPC's and they ramble on about a few things but the game needs better directional markers

I’m fighting the first boss in a proper dungeon area. He’s ok... just a bit of a slog. Overall I’m pretty lukewarm on this one sadly.

GymWolf

I've gotten the hang of the combat but I have no idea where to go or what I'm supposed to be doing...talked to few NPC's and they ramble on about a few things but the game needs better directional markers
you can choose where to go, it's not a linear path, just make sure that you save the biggest zone (the mazy black stone area) for last, then you can go everywhere.

Umbral

Any impression guys?
I’m a few hours in but it’s hard to gauge how far that is. I’m still in the starting area, if there’s such a thing.

I’ve found all 4 shells and now I’m looking for weapons. The combat takes some getting used to just like when I first picked up a Souls game. I was getting my ass kicked and was lost and confused about what to do and what things meant and how to fight but through perseverance you figure out what you’re doing.

Mortal Shell: Initially, I was getting wiped out and losing progress but I took some time out to just practice and get a feel for the weapon you start with. You also should practice the harden ability in a safe area, understand it’s cooldown and how to utilize it. Depending on the shell you use, you’ll maybe use harden with quickstep/roll differently. Harden has a cooldown and quickstep/dodge costs stamina. The game doesn’t tell you much, which is part of the appeal of these types of games; being lost.

Great art style. Great atmosphere. Cool music, though it’s not been used much so far. The combat system of harden/dodge is really cool. It’s got a slower feel than Souls, so if you want Bloodborne speed, so far, I’m not seeing it. It needs some polish but I think there might be a diamond in here. I’m happy with it and glad I bought it. It’s $30, so that took some of the risk out of it. I’d say if you’re a Souls fan and it has your interest, give it a shot.
I love being lost and having to look at the world to figure out where to go. It’s not From Software tier level design just yet, but it’s early.

The sense instinct things guide you where to go with images of the destination, then you just have to look for the landmarks.

Last edited:

TitusTroy

do the 4 shells only appear in one spot or do they appear in multiple places?...meaning in case I miss one can I get it later in another area?...or are they hard to miss?

Last edited:

Shrap

I want to play this but I didn't realise until now that it's another god damn EGS paid exclusive. I'm not going anywhere near it.

Fuck you Sweeney and your boundless hypocrisy.

Last edited:

Umbral

do the 4 shells only appear in one spot or do they appear in multiple places?...meaning in case I miss one can I get it later in another area?...or are they hard to miss?
I’m almost certain they appear in specific locations. They are not hard to miss and you can get them all in the starting area just by exploring. One is a gimme, the other 3 you have to locate in the world. It’s a cool concept of discovering the classes in the world instead of through a menu. Since they’re your different character classes, I think they intended for them to be pretty easily discoverable and early. You wouldn’t want to invest in the first one then find one you like better hours later.

robo_qwop

A few elements that I think are cool so far. I've beaten one boss with only the first shell and mace.

The Harden mechanic is like a manual DS "poise" command.
Deaths are always the result of combat. No real ledge deaths or stuff like that.
Item information scrolls on screen instead of being buried in menu item descriptions. If you care about that stuff.
The combat expects the player to reset and re-engage every time Harden refreshes, to not get overwhelmed.
Extremely generous with stamina even early on.
Surprisingly good voice acting even though its all "fantasy lore babble".

The game seems designed around eliminating elements of DS that frustrate beginners--with the exception that there doesn't seem to be Estus.

Handy Fake

Been watching Prod stream this and it looks canny. A little unpolished in places but that's a very minor nitpick.
The graphics are lovely and the combat looks a great deal of fun and very fluid. There seems to be a lot more "to and fro" in one on one battles than in Dark Souls.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Only a few hours in and was glad to see they changed up how it starts compared to the beta, where the Tiel shell was, enemies, etc.

I have one shell left to find. Audio is a bit wonky, and the load times are a bit long upon death.

j0hnnix

Some complaints. This one might of been to difficult to address is the hole animations that delay and black out is a killer(literally).
Also, noticed out of harden there is a delay to continue attacking/roll out. At least with Eredrim I noticed even having the stagger ability it doesn't effectively stagger 100% of the time , oh well, that's more of a I wish.. not an issue.

Umbral

A few elements that I think are cool so far. I've beaten one boss with only the first shell and mace.

The Harden mechanic is like a manual DS "poise" command.
Deaths are always the result of combat. No real ledge deaths or stuff like that.
Item information scrolls on screen instead of being buried in menu item descriptions. If you care about that stuff.
The combat expects the player to reset and re-engage every time Harden refreshes, to not get overwhelmed.
Extremely generous with stamina even early on.
Surprisingly good voice acting even though its all "fantasy lore babble".

The game seems designed around eliminating elements of DS that frustrate beginners--with the exception that there doesn't seem to be Estus.
Better get to mushroom farming.

You can also buy tons of rats from Vlas, the merchant. Mushrooms have been fine for me so far.

j0hnnix

Better get to mushroom farming.

You can also buy tons of rats from Vlas, the merchant. Mushrooms have been fine for me so far.

I didn't find the need to farm mushrooms, this also could be using the most tankiest shell available. The shrooms would take to long and needed to many to fill up that health pool, I also had the 15% additional HP added.

Has anyone found the need to always parry or just use the hardening more ? I found getting hard more approachable than parrying.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Has anyone found the need to always parry or just use the hardening more ? I found getting hard more approachable than parrying.

I'm bad at parrying in games, and to me is rarely worth the risk. Hardening can get you out of almost any situation and refills fast.

Umbral

I didn't find the need to farm mushrooms, this also could be using the most tankiest shell available. The shrooms would take to long and needed to many to fill up that health pool, I also had the 15% additional HP added.

An Eredrim fan, I see. Tank it out with the big boy. Tiel is my favorite. I need all the mushrooms I can get, but I got stamina for days.

You can parry?

j0hnnix

An Eredrim fan, I see. Tank it out with the big boy. Tiel is my favorite. I need all the mushrooms I can get, but I got stamina for days.

You can parry?

Tiel is my ng+ guy now. I'm probably sticking with hammer and chisel though lol.

Yeah. You can but it's a risk reward I don't want to play with.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

I might just be really rusty but i feel like this game is harder than DS, enjoying my time with it for sure.

It might be harder for some old school DS players. I found it normal once i got away from DS mentality. Finished it around 11 hours but playing ng+ now. I really want to time the parrying down but playing around with the hardening gives more flexibility.

Umbral

I don’t understand what’s going on with the game’s visuals on console. It somehow looks between PS3 and PS4 visually, yet on PC it looks great. It looks both high and low res at the same time. There’s also a milky haze over everywhere I’ve been so far, which robs the visuals of contrast because everything becomes a grey smear. It’s hiding all of the beautiful art direction, specifically the armor and enemy designs.

TitusTroy

If you figure it out, let me know. I have no idea. I thought it was like Dark Souls and saving all the time, but no, it’s not.

I'm still early in the game but just to be safe I usually go back to that tower with that woman in it, start up her conversation loop then exit the game...usually saves at that point

Any verdict on the games length? Reports are ranging from 20+, to 15 and even 10 hours only.
A lets play on youtube i got recommended today was at below 8 hours.
Very conflicting 😕

Whats your take on this, @Karak ?

Buddy of mine finished it today lol

One of my more anticipated games this year, been following it since the day it was announced. Its a cool souls type game until the big ones drop

This first boss is kicking my ass, he has like 0 stagger on the harden and powers through it and then I'm only doing chip damage to him it seems, I got him about halfway but then 1 or 2 hits I'm donw

I really dislike the "Getting back into your shell" mechanic having no iFrames, it can be a little unfair as you're stuck in a animation getting into it whilst enemies can still hurt you

Parry him when he does a standard attack and he'll fall on his face, be careful when he does the stab into the ground cause when he snatches his hand out the ground it does damage, and pay attention to his arm placement and roaring...like he roars and drops his arms when hes about to uppercut. Dodge to the left if your timing is good and you'll never have to use harden or parry, just dodge left - attack twice -retreat back/rinse/repeat

TitusTroy

what exactly are those sense instinct visions?...do they point you towards new areas where you're supposed to find something?...new shells?...where exactly do I go from the first area?...it says I need to find the name of the current shell I'm in but doesn't give you any clues where it is...

I defeated that Grisha boss/mini-boss pretty easily and I also picked up the parry item...where do I go next?...there are so many of those tunnel things inside the caves that it's easy to lose track of where you are

Last edited:

Umbral

what exactly are those sense instinct visions?...do they point you towards new areas where you're supposed to find something?...new shells?...where exactly do I go from the first area?...it says I need to find the name of the current shell I'm in but doesn't give you any clues where it is...

I defeated that Grisha boss/mini-boss pretty easily and I also picked up the parry item...where do I go next?...there are so many of those tunnel things inside the caves that it's easy to lose track of where you are
Yeah, those show you where to obtain shells and weapons. They’re in the visions themselves, so you can see which one you’re going after.

The names, just talk to Sester Genessa and sip the divine tar.

GymWolf

I tried the game for 90 min and asked a refund.

Graphics, production value and combat are all nice, but the location are samey and dispersive (i usually like this but not in this game), i hate the health system and i readed that it's only 10 hours for souls veteran and only 4 weapons\shells to find, not enough for 30 euros (it's not really a money problem but i hate souls game with not enough contents)

i think i'm gonna buy the remnant dlc instead.

the refund system in the epic store is better than steam, they returned my money fucking instantly.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Sounds like you're the one being exclusive to a PC digital store.

??? How does that refute my issue with " MULTIPLE STORES" ? Yes .. I am only using one store., thats my whole point!

Steam has the best services/storefront and I have a ton of games on steam.

Sentenza

"I may or may not buy this one..."

*Turns out to be an EGS exclusive*

"Well, that made easy to decide which of the two".

Umbral

Graphics, production value and combat are all nice, but the location are samey and dispersive (i usually like this but not in this game), i hate the health system and i readed that it's only 10 hours for souls veteran and only 4 weapons\shells to find, not enough for 30 euros (it's not really a money problem but i hate souls game with not enough contents)

the refund system in the epic store is better than steam, they returned my money fucking instantly.
It’s a shame it didn’t click for you.

The opening area, Fallgrim, can give a bad impression I think. You’re not sure if the whole game takes place here or not, the environment looks very similar so it’s hard to know where you are at all times, it’s filled with lots of the same enemies. I got to the castle and it’s obviously different visually with different enemies. I’m probably over 10 hours in and not anywhere near the end of the game, but I’m a slow player in general.

The 4 weapons and 4 shells is a positive in my eyes. It’s very focused and efficient that way. It also means the devs don’t have to balance 30 weapons and 10 shells. As it stands, the shells are all unique and don’t really bleed into each other’s realm of expertise. I don’t know that there would be much benefit by adding more shells in between. They’re all unique from a visual design aspect too.

Eredrim is a tank, Tiel is the opposite with high stamina, Harros is the balanced one, Solomon is the parry king. The weapons sort of pair with the shells too. Eredrim with the Martyr’s Blade, Tiel with the Hammer and Chisel, Harros with the Hallowed Sword, and Solomon with the Smoldering Mace. Of course, they can all use every weapon, but they fit with them visually and narratively, and with Tiel, mechanically.

GymWolf

It’s a shame it didn’t click for you.

The opening area, Fallgrim, can give a bad impression I think. You’re not sure if the whole game takes place here or not, the environment looks very similar so it’s hard to know where you are at all times, it’s filled with lots of the same enemies. I got to the castle and it’s obviously different visually with different enemies. I’m probably over 10 hours in and not anywhere near the end of the game, but I’m a slow player in general.

The 4 weapons and 4 shells is a positive in my eyes. It’s very focused and efficient that way. It also means the devs don’t have to balance 30 weapons and 10 shells. As it stands, the shells are all unique and don’t really bleed into each other’s realm of expertise. I don’t know that there would be much benefit by adding more shells in between. They’re all unique from a visual design aspect too.

Eredrim is a tank, Tiel is the opposite with high stamina, Harros is the balanced one, Solomon is the parry king. The weapons sort of pair with the shells too. Eredrim with the Martyr’s Blade, Tiel with the Hammer and Chisel, Harros with the Hallowed Sword, and Solomon with the Smoldering Mace. Of course, they can all use every weapon, but they fit with them visually and narratively, and with Tiel, mechanically.
Maybe i'm gonna buy the game again down the road.

TitusTroy

once you start learning all the mechanics the game is a lot of fun...best Souls copycat by far...Lords of the Fallen was very good as well but Mortal Shell adds in new mechanics and abilities to make it feel a bit more original

can someone explain one of the abilities...it says 'Hardening lasts twice as long after being broken'...but what does that mean?...once you're broken that means enemies can hurt you again right?...so how can it last twice as long?

The environments do eventually change a bit but I agree with you somewhat about the opening areas. it does feel a little "Samey" at first, but like dude said it does open up a bit and it gets really dope later on.

I don't know if you have any of those EGS coupons or if they run that 10 dollar promotion again but it instantly knocked 10 bucks off the cost of the game for me. Definitely worth the 20 IMO, but to each its own

And yeah that Epic refund thing is fast. I refunded a game on there around 1pm in the afternoon once and the money was right back on my card before 5pm..To be honest the money showed up on my card before they had even sent the "You requested a refund" email lol

Umbral

once you start learning all the mechanics the game is a lot of fun...best Souls copycat by far...Lords of the Fallen was very good as well but Mortal Shell adds in new mechanics and abilities to make it feel a bit more original

can someone explain one of the abilities...it says 'Hardening lasts twice as long after being broken'...but what does that mean?...once you're broken that means enemies can hurt you again right?...so how can it last twice as long?
There’s a window after your harden gets broken where you still have i-frames. That simply doubles that window, giving you more i-frames after it’s broken.

TitusTroy

I finished the first main area and defeated the boss...I think it was the fire area...boss was pretty easy, the hard part was dealing with all the enemies along the way...and after you defeat the boss they make you trek all the way back to the tower on foot...no bonfire type of mechanic to warp (although I hear there is a fast travel mechanic but only if you max out all the skills for 1 shell)

I like that the game doesn't explain all the mechanics etc but they should at least explain some of the important ones...I read reviews saying it's a 10 hour game but no way will most people finish it in that amount of time during their first run...

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Finally, a souls-like that gives me the same sense of wonder and the same sense of being lost. and after I started a second playthrough because my save won't transfer from GE force Now, I realizedI went the completely wrong way. You really need to pay attention at the beginning, lol! Now let's see if I can make it back to where I'm supposed to go so I can get my parry item.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Finally, a souls-like that gives me the same sense of wonder and the same sense of being lost. and after I started a second playthrough because my save won't transfer from GE force Now, I realizedI went the completely wrong way. You really need to pay attention at the beginning, lol! Now let's see if I can make it back to where I'm supposed to go so I can get my parry item.
Try surge 2 after this one if yu wanna get lost.

Umbral

I finished the first main area and defeated the boss...I think it was the fire area...boss was pretty easy, the hard part was dealing with all the enemies along the way...and after you defeat the boss they make you trek all the way back to the tower on foot...no bonfire type of mechanic to warp (although I hear there is a fast travel mechanic but only if you max out all the skills for 1 shell)

I like that the game doesn't explain all the mechanics etc but they should at least explain some of the important ones...I read reviews saying it's a 10 hour game but no way will most people finish it in that amount of time during their first run...
My stomach dropped when I realized I had to fight my way out after getting the glad. Thankfully they put fewer enemies on the way and you don’t lose the gland if you die. It also opens up all those locked chests, which is a bonus.
I got really deep into the game before I realized you could parry. “Remove Seal“ doesn’t really tell you that you’ll need it to parry. My thinking was that I’m not gonna release a guy I know nothing about, so I didn’t remove it initially.

Top Bottom