• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Shell launches August 18

MrS

Banned
I'm just after finding the hammer and chisel in the second area in it, dunno how far into the game I am. Got it on my One X for the rest bump but was pissed off about the bugged HDR. Think I should wait till the patch drops and then play on depending on how far into the game I am?
I’d wait yeah. I ain’t picking it up til HDR is fixed. Can’t actually believe it launched on PS4 in such a bad state missing features like no hdr and no 4K.

tommycronin

Banned
I’d wait yeah. I ain’t picking it up til HDR is fixed. Can’t actually believe it launched on PS4 in such a bad state missing features like no hdr and no 4K.
Should of gotten it on Xbox one X. The worlds most powerful console. World Exclusive! I'll wait so one thing I wish they add is a dynamic HUD or even a way to mix up the HUD. The health at the bottom left corner is fucking me up.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: MrS

DavidGzz

Tiel plus hammer and chisel is life. No stamina drain sprint and 20% chance of taking no dmg has been really nice!

Last edited:

scalman

Saw video thought i will enjoy it. Started to play not bad and then died and died and died. That harden mechanics kinda hard for me to master and use. Looks interesting but your life just goes away so fast

Umbral

Saw video thought i will enjoy it. Started to play not bad and then died and died and died. That harden mechanics kinda hard for me to master and use. Looks interesting but your life just goes away so fast
Just stick with it, it’ll click into place.

Even the low-level brigands hit hard. I just spent a good amount of time in the Fallgrim area to get the hang of things before venturing out. You could also hunt down one of the other shells to see if they fit your playstyle more.

DavidGzz

Hammer and chisel made Tarsus way more manageable. He can be too elusive for slower weapons in the second phase. I could get hits on him all day. Only took two tries.

TitusTroy

That being said I don't think i'd wait for a HDR patch, HDR is nice but not worth putting a game on pause for. YMMV

the game doesn't seem like an HDR showcase...lots of grays and dark colors...I don't think HDR is going to add much to the game

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Uh oh, I’m about to face him with Solomon and the Smoldering Mace +3.

Maybe the reach will make up for it. The starting sword was a little too slow and too short. Then again, Lobos died so many times with the Mace that he spent an hour trying to glitch out of the Enslaved boss's room. He was also pissed that it made him use the Mace when he wanted his great sword that was upgraded. He also completely missed the tower and didn't have the parry item, lol

EDIT: he did manage to glitch back the way he came too haha

Last edited:

Umbral

Maybe the reach will make up for it. The starting sword was a little too slow and too short. Then again, Lobos died so many times with the Mace that he spent an hour trying to glitch out of the Enslaved boss's room. He was also pissed that it made him use the Mace when he wanted his great sword that was upgraded. He also completely missed the tower and didn't have the parry item, lol
Oh, man. I gotta check out Lobos’ playthrough. I missed the parry too, so I can‘t make fun of him there. He’s not too bad so far, using the fight to get better at parrying. It’s going ok and I don’t have any tar to lose.

SCB3

I must admit I'm struggling super hard with this, I finally beat Grisha with Solomon but basic mobs are kicking my ass with their numbers, 2 hooded guys with 1 or 2 weaker guys is a hard combo to overcome. Add to that I'm lost and keep circling back on myself trying to find this Ven Beren boss is driving me insane

Umbral

Did it. That wasn’t bad at all. Parrying doesn’t feel good and I’m not sure why. I think it might need some tweaking.

JTCx

Oh, man. I gotta check out Lobos’ playthrough. I missed the parry too, so I can‘t make fun of him there. He’s not too bad so far, using the fight to get better at parrying. It’s going ok and I don’t have any tar to lose.
Even if you miss the parry you gotta take advantage of harden. Its key especially with slower weapons like mace and martyr sword. Attack chain into the start of your 3rd hit, harden, absorb, let attack hit. If youre using soloman power up the mace spam resolve and melt bosses.

Last edited:

TitusTroy

seems like the Eredrim shell was made to pair with the Martyr's Blade...the Blade is so slow to swing that you need to have a tanky shell to absorb the damage

pr0cs

seems like the Eredrim shell was made to pair with the Martyr's Blade...the Blade is so slow to swing that you need to have a tanky shell to absorb the damage
Yep, this is my toon, Eredrim and Martyrs..
Just finished Crucix Bros which was really damn hard with such a shallow stamina pool.
Still though, after about 20 attempts, I knocked him out and got the adrenaline rush synonymous with Souls-like games.

Umbral

Even if you miss the parry you gotta take advantage of harden. Its key especially with slower weapons like mace and martyr sword. Attack chain into the start of your 3rd hit, harden, absorb, let attack hit. If youre using soloman power up the mace spam resolve and melt bosses.
Somehow I totally forgot about special attacks and just used parry with the bomb larva. Worked but I really should have used the specials.
Yep, this is my toon, Eredrim and Martyrs..
Just finished Crucix Bros which was really damn hard with such a shallow stamina pool.
Still though, after about 20 attempts, I knocked him out and got the adrenaline rush synonymous with Souls-like games.
They all seem to be paired with a weapon; Tiel with Hammer/Chisel, Harros with Hallowed Sword, Eredrim with the Martyr’s Blade, and Solomon with the Smoldering Mace.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Yep, which is why I'm ok with my cloud saves not working, it allowed me to get two completely different builds. Love them both in their own ways. Plus it makes the game seem longer since I haven't beaten it in 15 total hours of play. I'm surprised there is only 1 mod for this game so far and it's to fix cut scenes on wide screen monitors. I wouldn't mind an expansion to add some ranged options. I love bow combat. I hope Elden Ring has some good bow action.

Cool detail, did you guys notice that the writing on Solomon’s armor glows when it’s near fire or when he takes a hit?

Nope, but that's awesome. Makes me wonder what else I've missed. I feel like I noticed something last night but I'm blanking on it.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

They added the shells to Dark Souls 3 and they look awesome! Looks like I know what I am doing when I get tired of this game. Not happening any time soon, though!

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Decided to go from PC to getting this on Xbox as well.. looks good on the oneX , worst is the 30fps, very stable though. I can't beat the comfort from gaming on a sofa. I need to collect stuff I missed when I rushed it on PC. When is Mortal Shell 2 coming 🤔

DavidGzz

I had to look it up on YouTube...no way would I have found it on my own... :)

Baghead is also an NPC that can be easily missed although I found him on my 1st playthrough

I found that mother, is he good for anything besides eating all my food and drinking all my shit liquor? He sounds suspiciously like Patches. Lol

Last edited:

TitusTroy

I found that mother, is he good for anything besides eating all my food and drinking all my shit liquor? He sounds suspiciously like Patches. Lol

he's kinder then Patches...Patches tries to kill you every time...with Baghead, if you agree to be his friend forever then
the game ends and the credits start rolling on the screen...

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Tempted to jump in now that PS4Pro support has been added.
Whats your verdict so far, guys? Is this worth the 30 bucks?

TitusTroy

I wish the game had more unique dialogue and quest options depending on which Shell you were wearing...there's only 1 NPC who interacts with the player differently based on the Shell

pr0cs

I wish the game had more unique dialogue and quest options depending on which Shell you were wearing...there's only 1 NPC who interacts with the player differently based on the Shell
The shell backstories are a missed opportunity. Some of them are pretty interesting, at least all of the story elements of Eredrim, unlocked with glimpses were really great but sadly felt disjointed from him as a character. They should have tied shell discovery with certain areas. Again why is Eredrim outside of Narthex? From his backstory you would expect to find him DEEP inside the Enshrined Sanctum.
Nitpicky but why have the lore so disconnected from the game world?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Looks good, but I dunno. Kinda feel like Nioh2 will be enough to scratch my itch for this sort of game for the rest of the year.

The sheer amount of content in TN's games just put the competition to shame for me.

GymWolf

Looks good, but I dunno. Kinda feel like Nioh2 will be enough to scratch my itch for this sort of game for the rest of the year.

The sheer amount of content in TN's games just put the competition to shame for me.
Did they solved the problem of the first one like mediocre level design, samey enemies and too much useless loot? Also did they removed that fucking bullet time scrool that make every boss a joke?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Did they solved the problem of the first one like mediocre level design, samey enemies and too much useless loot? Also did they removed that fucking bullet time scrool that make every boss a joke?

Its a game about fighting not exploration, so the level design was always fine. There are literally double the number of Yokai enemies, and if you found Sloth game breaking you never got past NG, so you saw maybe 20% of the game tops.

Difficulty cycles matter in Nioh, what works in NG will get you nowhere at higher difficulties. You need to understand the game's systems and how to exploit all that loot. Its not just for show, if you don't know how to make proper builds you are placing yourself at a huge disadvantage, go watch one of Fighting Cowboy's many build vids to see how deep the rabbot hole goes.

Nioh2's difficulty curve is smoother than the originals so far, but until the 2nd DLC drops its hard to make a judgement as "Wise" difficulty NG+++ is where the first game forced you to seriously reevaluate how to play.

GymWolf

Its a game about fighting not exploration, so the level design was always fine. There are literally double the number of Yokai enemies, and if you found Sloth game breaking you never got past NG, so you saw maybe 20% of the game tops.

Difficulty cycles matter in Nioh, what works in NG will get you nowhere at higher difficulties. You need to understand the game's systems and how to exploit all that loot. Its not just for show, if you don't know how to make proper builds you are placing yourself at a huge disadvantage, go watch one of Fighting Cowboy's many build vids to see how deep the rabbot hole goes.

Nioh2's difficulty curve is smoother than the originals so far, but until the 2nd DLC drops its hard to make a judgement as "Wise" difficulty NG+++ is where the first game forced you to seriously reevaluate how to play.
I love loot and i surely don't need to watch any youtuber to learn how to make builds lol, it was just a little bit too much in nioh for my taste :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Also really? You have 80% of new locations\enemies\boss\weapons during ng+?? Because this for me represent "missing contents".
If you are talking about some secret boss or some new moves for enemies or them hitting harder or a secret stage we are very far from 80% of missed contents...and i doubt any devs would hide 80% of their games behind a second run...especially if we consider that a lot of people doesn't even finish the game the first time, especially hard games like these.

I'm a slower player with soulslike, my first run is usually 50-60 hours if not more, i rarely do second runs with any game.

Surge saga or souls saga are fighting games too, you fight 80% of the time and they still have outstanding level design, so it's not really a good excuse...

Double the numbers of enemies sound nice, but nioh1 was very abysmal in this aspect so even doubling a small number is not really that much.

Maybe i'm gonna buy the game when it's dirty cheap, the first one left a sour taste on me, i basically only enjoyed the combat and the weapons (not really a japanese yokay\samurai stuff fanboy to begin with)

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I love loot and i surely don't need to watch any youtuber to learn how to make builds lol, it was just a little bit too much in nioh for my taste :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Also really? You have 80% of new locations\enemies\boss\weapons during ng+?? Because this for me represent "missing contents".
If you are talking about some secret boss or some new moves for enemies or them hitting harder or a secret stage we are very far from 80% of missed contents...and i doubt any devs would hide 80% of their games behind a second run...

I'm a slower player with soulslike, my first run is usually 50-60 hours if not more, i rarely do second runs with any game.

Surge saga or souls saga are fighting games too, you fight 80% of the time and they still have outstanding level design, so it's not really a good excuse...

Double the numbers of enemies sound nice, but nioh1 was very abysmal in this aspect so even doubling a small number is not really that much.

Maybe i'm gonna buy the game when it's dirty cheap, the first one left a sour taste on me, i basically only enjoyed the combat and the weapons (not really a japanese yokay\samurai stuff fanboy to begin with)

Nioh having shit level design because it's a looter game rather than a metroidvania souls-like is certainly not an excuse. All games should have great level design but the combat makes up for it. At least it did until Sekiro came and now I could never touch Nioh ever again. Not sure if I'm even going to play Nioh 2 tbh.

GymWolf

Nioh having shit level design because it's a looter game rather than a metroidvania souls-like is certainly not an excuse. All games should have great level design but the combat makes up for it. At least it did until Sekiro came and now I could never touch Nioh ever again. Not sure if I'm even going to play Nioh 2 tbh.
The only thing i wanted more from sekiro was more weapons and some more rpg aspect with armours, rings etc.

I'm just a sucker for this shit.

You can have the best level design but if 90% of what you find exploring is uninteresting stuff i get bored fast.

Like you said, combat does the heavy lifting in these games.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

If you are talking about some secret boss or some new moves for enemies or them hitting harder or a secret stage we are very far from 80% of missed contents...and i doubt any devs would hide 80% of their games behind a second run...especially if we consider that a lot of people doesn't even finish the game the first time, especially hard games like these.

As I said, there's nothing wrong with the level design, because that's what it is: a large number of distinct themed levels. Its an old school game, and as not trying to present an explorable world being actually uncommon these days its fine with me. Each "main" level has multiple paths, shortcuts and secrets but on top of that there are dozens of arena and gauntlet style encounters because again, its not really that bound to a narrative and so is all about the combat.

I really can't see the complaints about the level design in either game because the mechanics support a wide variety of approaches. Its ninjutsu, magic, and ranged attack options aren't half-baked, if you're constantly getting ambushed by yokai hiding behind the scenery its on you for being reckless. Being discrete levels you can learn them, and while you are figuring out the lay of the land you have comprehensive stealth and ranged options to ensure you stay in control.

No excuses. The tools are there. Hell, you have both NPC and co-op summons if you really need the help.

PS. Just checking the encyclopedia currently shows 53 different types of Yokai enemy in the game, 60- ish human bosses, plus a large number of regular human enemies that wield the 10 weapon classes.
There's no shortage of variety.

Also, my point about build videos is that with there being so many moving parts, so many hidden and semi-hidden systems to work with, unless you are following the community you are going to be missing out on a lot. Its just way, way, more involved than the average action game.

Last edited:

Umbral

There are at least 3 that speak to you differently. Sester Genessa
used to be a lover of Tiel’s, so when you talk to her as Tiel
she reveals that. The Old Prisoner reacts to you differently
if you first talk to him as Solomon, as they are brothers,
and Brother Corvid also reacts to you differently depending on the shell.
He views Tiel as the face of death, he’s surprised to see a scholar if you’re Solomon,
and so on. I was only able to do his quest as Harros, so I don’t know if the shell has something to do with that.
Mortal Shell: Every Platform Tested- A Dark Souls Competitor Emerges!

I was just about to post this. It makes sense why the Pro version looked so blurry now, it was initially running at 900p and now it’s 1440p. I hate dynamic resolution, even if it holds it most of the time. Give me consistency. Solid frame rate, solid resolution.

Last edited:

GymWolf

As I said, there's nothing wrong with the level design, because that's what it is: a large number of distinct themed levels. Its an old school game, and as not trying to present an explorable world being actually uncommon these days its fine with me. Each "main" level has multiple paths, shortcuts and secrets but on top of that there are dozens of arena and gauntlet style encounters because again, its not really that bound to a narrative and so is all about the combat.

I really can't see the complaints about the level design in either game because the mechanics support a wide variety of approaches. Its ninjutsu, magic, and ranged attack options aren't half-baked, if you're constantly getting ambushed by yokai hiding behind the scenery its on you for being reckless. Being discrete levels you can learn them, and while you are figuring out the lay of the land you have comprehensive stealth and ranged options to ensure you stay in control.

No excuses. The tools are there. Hell, you have both NPC and co-op summons if you really need the help.

PS. Just checking the encyclopedia currently shows 53 different types of Yokai enemy in the game, 60- ish human bosses, plus a large number of regular human enemies that wield the 10 weapon classes.
There's no shortage of variety.

Also, my point about build videos is that with there being so many moving parts, so many hidden and semi-hidden systems to work with, unless you are following the community you are going to be missing out on a lot. Its just way, way, more involved than the average action game.
why do you suppose that i had any difficulty with the level design of the game? it's not what i was talking about.
my point is that we were spoiled by souls saga that has great level design so any similar game is getting compared to that and nioh kinda falls short in that department.

thanks for the raw data about enemy variety, it's much appreciated.

so now we have 10 class of weapons? this is another good news.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
why do you suppose that i had any difficulty with the level design of the game? it's not what i was talking about.
my point is that we were spoiled by souls saga that has great level design so any similar game is getting compared to that and nioh kinda falls short in that department.

thanks for the raw data about enemy variety, it's much appreciated.

so now we have 10 class of weapons? this is another good news.

I was just speculating dude. The usual complaints I remember were the lack of interconnectedness and too many monster closets, so I just explained why I don't think those things were an issue. Obviously YMMV.

To me its a very different sort of game to play compared to the Souls' titles. I mean I can't imagine just playing sections of those games, I'm going to do a full story cycle (at least) in one go or not bother.

With Nioh I can just co-op with randoms or friends, dabble with different build to see how it does, way more arcadey in short. The story's kinda just there to give a bit of context on the first playthrough, once you are at NG+ and beyond it no longer applies because you can basically cherry pick the order you do missions as progression is tied to getting a certain number of clears to open the next region.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Cool but they are very different games. This one captures the grim dark that Dark souls does in its own way. More weighty combat. So people looking for that will be happy. Nioh, like you said, is more of a fighting game in 3d with massive amounts of loot. I could stomach those games. I'll try 2 later when it comes to PC or Xbox or maybe I'll get it with my PS5 if there are enhancements.

Umbral

I really wish I would have played Eredrim before the execution stacks patch. I’d love to one shot things just for the fun of it. Even at 100 stacks he still hits like a train and can take the damage.

TitusTroy

finished my first playthrough- got everything except for the mango (I only found out about it after defeating the area boss and the area layout changed so I couldn't get it anymore)

I'm playing on PC and performance was excellent but I did have one issue...the lock-on would not work correctly all the time...sometimes it would target the guy behind or to the side of the enemy I wanted and it took a few clicks to get the targeting correct...also had a few texture pop in issues

once you beat the game and have mastered all the mechanics the game becomes pretty easy for a 2nd playthrough...

Last edited:

Umbral

this cool? how is the level design?
It is not From Software level, but it makes an attempt. I really enjoyed it. I’m on NG+, but it’s actually my third time through. Completing the game once with each shell. It’s also not a very long game. I think it took me like 15 hours or so my first time. There are 4 areas total including the hub area. 1 hub, 3 spokes.

TitusTroy

It is not From Software level, but it makes an attempt. I really enjoyed it. I’m on NG+, but it’s actually my third time through. Completing the game once with each shell. It’s also not a very long game. I think it took me like 15 hours or so my first time. There are 4 areas total including the hub area. 1 hub, 3 spokes.

once you get the fast travel item, are you able to fast travel immediately after defeating a boss?...or do you still have to make the trek back to the Tower on foot encountering those new enemies along the way?

Last edited:
Top Bottom