• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Addictive RPGs

jgminto

Chrono Trigger on the DS is great. Playing through that now for the first time. Great, engaging combat and cool story with some great characters. Definitely worth picking up.

Do iOS RPGs count or just PSP/DS?

For DS:
My ole DS was an Etrian Odyssey machine. Granted, Sands of Destruction, Devil Survivor, Suikoden Tiekiris(SP?) and Phantasy Star Zero got some great play on my ole DS. The World Ends with You is one of the best games ever.

For PSP:
If you haven'y played Persona on PS or PS2, get it on PSP. Import Tales of Eternia from Europe. Good stuff!

For iOS:
Chaos Rings. Though ow the price....Kemco/Kotobuki Solution makes some great RPGs too.

Soma

Persona 3 for me.

The first game where I spent 100+ hours in game and I beat it in under a couple of weeks WHILE having a full-time job + girlfriend at the time. It was on my mind constantly back then. The daily format, the social links, the fusing, the grinding, etc. I loved all of it. One of my favorite RPGs ever and it was such a great experience. I don't regret that time sink at all.

Ken

Super Robot Wars. I love just staring at the sprite animation. The game is pretty fun too and its bite-sized mission episodes keep me playing for hours.

Acrylic7

for portability-

Any ps1 rpg on psn
Pokemon is always good
Golden Sun 1 if you have a gba or compatible DS
Wild Arms 1- psn
ff7 of course
ff8
ff9
Chrono Trigger if you have a ds. Do not download for Chrono Trigger for psp

so many things to choose from.

ReaperXL7

Pretty much any RPG with massive amounts of grindable Phat Loot. If it's got lots of shiny, pretty death dealing peripherals than i'm usually hooked pretty quickly.

I can't believe how much time I sunk into games like Sacred 2, Kingdoms of Amalur, Borderlands, etc, and one of the biggest reasons is all that glorious stuff that lets me kill stuff just alittle better than what I currently have.

Mephala

So many good choices. Here are some of my favourites.
  1. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
  2. Legend of Heroes: Trails in The Sky
  3. The World Ends With You
  4. Radiant Historia
  5. Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of The Plume
  6. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

MHFU is a lot more fun playing with friends though.

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Still a memorable game. Great music, great visuals and a really fun battle system. But you can just zoom through the game with Mario, Geno and Peach though.

Of course the Pokemon games must be mentioned.

Lately, though, I have NOT been able to put Xenoblade down. I don't think I've ever played a session that lasted less than 3 hours. "Just a little more" is a thought that can't seem to leave my mind when I play it.

kingdom hearts 2.

-got to level 20 something with roxas.
-spent maybe 100 hours farming materials to synthesize power and defense boosts to the point of me being able to kill everyone in the hades paradox tournament round 49(cloud,squall,tifa and yuffi) as well as sephiroth in 1 hit.
-pretty much maxed out every stat there is(completingg jiminis journal and such)

CorvoSol

The World Ends With You. PINS EVERYWHERE.

Eventually, someone will realize that the Square x Disney partnership is a marketing goldmine, and realize that Disney already has a healthy little pin-trade going on in its parks, and then the next World Ends With You game will be set in DISNEYLAND. Walt will be the Conductor, and Eisner will be a Reaper.

It'll be a crossover of TWEWY, KH, Magic Kingdom, and, I dunno, Epic Mickey?

THE MERCHANDISE. THE MERCHANDISE. THE PINS. THE PINS.

spats

I thought Ys 7 was incredibly addictive. Leveling up was fun and it felt like the next level was always just around the corner.

iavi

Devil Survivor and TWEWY were some of the more addictive gaming experiences I've had this generation, period, let alone portable. Past those, Tactics Ogre:LUCT, probably.

On an semi-related note, I just got Devil Survivor 2. Lawd Jesus. I am not ready.

So what's this newly fangled handheld that runs Shenmue, PSO, Diablo, Dark Souls and Skies of Arcadia?

I'd really be interested in buying one.

Seriously though, I'd have to recommend Final Fantasy VI on the PSP's PSN (or the Advance version if you can manage to track down a copy), easily one of the best J-RPGs I've played in a long time.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
Another game I found really addictive is them tactics game like Disgea (omg Item world x_X) and Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together on PSP.

Most recent for me is Tales of Graces F.

I got my platinum (121 hours) from it and for some reason I'm starting to feel an urge to go back and max out weapons even though there is nothing left to do.

OMG Aero

1) Pokemon Red or Crystal. Is it worth it paying for the remakes of these games if I own the carts of the originals already? Does Crystal have all of the Pokemon in it, or is it like the rest with only some of them?
By remake of Crystal do you mean HeartGold or SoulSilver? Because one of them is totally worth getting. They don't have all the Pokemon in them and neither did Crystal (None of the Pokemon RPGs have all the Pokemon) but HGSS are up there with Platinum for having the most Pokemon and you are only really missing starters from other games, some legendaries, a couple of new Pokemon from Diamond and Pearl and the Pokemon from this page depending on which version you pick.

kyubajin

Souls series, nothing even approaches my love for its combat mechanics.
Damn, forgot to read the OP.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together is my most played PSP game with well over 60 hours and counting. A masterpiece of a game.

Radiant Historia on the DS is also the best rendition of a "modern" 16-bit RPG ever.

Etrian Odyssey and The Dark Spire on the DS can satisfy you for ages if you're into this type of 1st person grid-based old-school dungeon crawlers.

Robot Pants

Souls series, nothing even approaches my love for its combat mechanics.

Yep. Especially Dark Souls. Game of the Decade for me. Haven't been so addicted to a game in a really long time.
But to answer the OP, I have no idea. I just wanted to post my love for Dark Souls.

Trigger

The World Ends With You. PINS EVERYWHERE.

Eventually, someone will realize that the Square x Disney partnership is a marketing goldmine, and realize that Disney already has a healthy little pin-trade going on in its parks, and then the next World Ends With You game will be set in DISNEYLAND. Walt will be the Conductor, and Eisner will be a Reaper.

It'll be a crossover of TWEWY, KH, Magic Kingdom, and, I dunno, Epic Mickey?

THE MERCHANDISE. THE MERCHANDISE. THE PINS. THE PINS.

My first thought when reading the op. Pins make the whole game so fun. It's easy and fast to make multiple set-ups for combat, and every battle's difficulty can be customized. The whole premise is genuinely brilliant.

Ravage

RPGs i've spent over 100 hours on (no way i would do this if they weren't addictive)

FF 8/10/12 - i could explore these game worlds endlessly for hours
Kingdom Hearts 2 - it's fun getting 100% (synthesis,colliseum,etc) for the secret movie
Star Ocean 3 - my favourite combat system ever + loads of post-game content
Atelier Rorona/Totori - planning and perfecting the ultimate alchemy item is incredibly addictive and rewarding
Resonance of Fate - again another Tri-Ace title with fantastic gameplay and lengthy post-game content
Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll - sleeper hit of this gen, fucking incredible ARPG gameplay with loads of content

edit:
Portability is a must.
oh what the hell, guess i got carried away by the thread title and most of the replies here :/

In that case i'll recommend Crisis Core, P3P and Disgaea. Fun games that will easily give you at least 100+ hours of game time.

Valygar

What RPG would you recommend for short periods of play time?

I am going to be pretty busy this year, so I am going to be able to play for 5-30 minutes long. I'm thinking on games like Half minute hero, or maybe a more traditional one with quicksave and not long cutscenes/battles.

Patryn

Suikoden 2 had a noticeable effect on my GPA. I was in college at the time, and I just stopped going to class mostly, and stopped doing anything beyond eating and playing that game until I finished.

I love that game, but seen from an outside perspective, that was a scary week.

Wichu

What RPG would you recommend for short periods of play time?

I am going to be pretty busy this year, so I am going to be able to play for 5-30 minutes long. I'm thinking on games like Half minute hero, or maybe a more traditional one with quicksave and not long cutscenes/battles.

TWEWY

P90

Portable games:

Phantasy Star Portable 1 and 2
Any mainline Pokemon
Pretty much all Atlus games, notably Devil Survivor 2 and P3P
Inside Story

Schnei871

618596-smrpsn0f_large.jpg

Top Bottom