• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Overrated and Underrated Drugs?

For overrated, I'm going out on a limb and say any drug where the benefits are outweighed by nasty addiction and dependence liabilities, as well as the damage it does to the body. When a drug has a very low chance of it allowing responsibile use and manageable negative effects, in my opinion that is where it becomes not worth it. So Heroin, PCP, and Meth...those drugs are just not worth it, and frankly, do not need to be legalized (unless for medical reasons).

Aside from those, smoking is crazy overrated. Given the health issues with smoking, it amazes me people still start. Fuck cigarettes.

As far as underrated, I don't think Khat gets enough credit.

creatchee

Underrated: Cocaine. It's the best drug on earth. Try it and you'll agree. Gets a lot of bad rep because of douchebags from the 80's and people with addictive personalities.

Overrated: Weed. Not as safe as anyone who defends it claims. Makes you stink and like shitty jam bands.

EVO

Salvia.

One of the most intense and unpleasant drugs out there and you can easily buy it over the counter in America.

One of the most underrated drugs is Costco-brand Aller-Tec 10 mg allergy medication.

I get a year's supply of allergy medication for $15. And the best part is that I can breathe.

Underrated: Cocaine. It's the best drug on earth. Try it and you'll agree. Gets a lot of bad rep because of douchebags from the 80's and people with addictive personalities.

Overrated: Weed. Not as safe as anyone who defends it claims.

Really? Weed unsafe if smoked, but eaten I thought it was reasonably safe.

the1npc

LSD is underrated imo. I only do small doses and its safe and fun. No hangover. People I know would be worried if I said I did some but mdma is seem as safer even though its sketchy as fuck. I blame EDM I guess.

And to the dude saying weed stinks I agree. Thats why people vape/edibles/dab/etc

Jzero

LSD is overrated.The media makes it seem like it's super visual when it's not. The trip is way too long too, every time I do it I'm just like "fuck this shit needs to end already"

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Overrated: Weed. Not as safe as anyone who defends it claims. Makes you stink and like shitty jam bands.
overdosedeaths1.jpg

10k smoked because of coke. But I guess the weed deaths are too high to fit in the chart. Death by ska.

the1npc

LSD is overrated.The media makes it seem like it's super visual when it's not. The trip is way too long too every time I do it I'm just like "fuck this shit needs to end already"

I usually see weird/complex patterns in things, thats pretty visual for me but ive never had more than a tab. The media makes it out to be like DMT

inner-G

Banned
Underrated: Weed. People don't give it a fair shake because of the stereotypes, but it's great for social situations and being introspective.

Overrated: Weed. People overrate how dangerous it is and say it's a gateway drug. (If people didn't have to find a drug dealer for weed, they wouldn't know anyone who sold hard stuff in the first place! ) It's the most common illicit drug, so statistically of course many people use it first. Correlation =/= causation.

v1perz53

Risk factor for psychosis.
And eeh, obesity from eating whatever's in the fridge?

Marijuana is associated with lots of things, sure, like schizophrenia and psychosis. But certainly it hasn't been proven via studies to be a risk factor. Not enough research has been done to define if marijuana can cause or increase the risk of these things, but almost certainly most people believe that instead people likely to develop psychosis or schizophrenia are more likely to use Marijuana because of how it affects them differently (anecdotally, also not well studied). Similar to saying that obesity causes increased appetites because you see fat people eating a lot, where it more likely is that their increased appetite is associated with obesity.

That's my opinion at least after 4 years of med school and 2 years of looking into research on this for my job as a pediatrician since I always found the associations very interesting.

Cocaine is super overrated. Can't believe people have actually died for that stuff.

Rhythmic breathing is probably the most underrated. Oxygen is one hell of a drug.

inner-G

Banned
Marijuana is associated with lots of things, sure, like schizophrenia and psychosis.

There's also the possibility that people who have yet to be diagnosed gravitate towards self-medicating with weed because it alleviates their symptoms.

shaneo632

Salvia will fuck your shit up despite being a legal high. I had 10x and thought the mirror in my bedroom was a portal into my past. Fucking nuts.

the1npc

Cocaine is super overrated. Can't believe people have actually died for that stuff.

Rhythmic breathing is probably the most underrated. Oxygen is one hell of a drug.

Did coke once, was suprised how meh the whole thing was. I guess "party" drugs arent for me. I just want to vape weed on the weekend and play vids or go on hikes

Saganator

Just going to use this thread to say...

Never try salvia. Just don't.

Oh yeah, I tried coke once and it didn't do a thing.

Jzero

I thought Marijuana was the most overrated drug of all time until I took a very high dose of Sativa. It almost feels like a low dose of MDMA.

I never really got much out of coke but from a former boss who did a lot of coke in the 70s I learned the stuff sold in the 90s just sucked. He said it should be kinda yellow and flaky when you chop it. The stuff I got was always very white and chalky.

Fuck, that sentence made me feel old.

Agreed on both counts.

Do keep in mind though, cocaine is insanely bad for your health, worse than any other drug I know.

(Stroke risk higher than anything else, permanent brain and heart damage, to start).

Oh yeah, I tried coke once and it didn't do a thing.

I said the same for years...

Thing is, people are never going to just give you enough to experience what makes it awesome.

Too expensive to share that freely.

Eventually you'll do enough and finally "get it", and it can be dangerous once you finally do lol.

Sagroth

DMT is extremely underrated. Over in 15 minutes, but it's the most extreme experience on a substance by far. Even at its lowest dose, it blows LSD and mushroom visualizations out of the water, and at higher dosages, you get ego death and feel like you're traveling to other universes and talking to aliens/gods/the afterlife. No aftereffects or chance of addiction. I wouldn't really call it recreational, but if you're looking for a trip that will change the way you see the universe and yourself, it's excellent.

Pretty much. DMT is the greatest of all time.
*high fives*

Jokergrin

MDMA is underrated. People use it as a party drug which is fun, but it's real value is for having intense intimate sessions with loved ones that really take you deeper into each other and can enhance and resolve a lot of things.

Also you have to keep it really special too and only use it a couple of times a year

I wouldn't say salvia is overrated. I think most people know it sucks.

People on the other hand seem to love their coke. I don't get it though. Tried it twice. First time I just had the runs (obviously was cut with baby laxative) and the second time it gave me a little bit of energy for like 30 minutes. Fun!

Hoo-doo

Banned
Marijuana is associated with lots of things, sure, like schizophrenia and psychosis. But certainly it hasn't been proven via studies to be a risk factor. Not enough research has been done to define if marijuana can cause or increase the risk of these things, but almost certainly most people believe that instead people likely to develop psychosis or schizophrenia are more likely to use Marijuana because of how it affects them differently (anecdotally, also not well studied). Similar to saying that obesity causes increased appetites because you see fat people eating a lot, where it more likely is that their increased appetite is associated with obesity.

That's my opinion at least after 4 years of med school and 2 years of looking into research on this for my job as a pediatrician since I always found the associations very interesting.

You're right. It's interesting though, i've had talks about this very subject from psychiatrists less than a week ago during my psych rotation.
While there's yet to be definitive research showing causal connections between marijuana and psychosis/schizophrenia, the association is there and it's hard to ignore. I'd personally classify it as a risk factor. But it's a possible chicken and egg situation, like you said.

inner-G

Banned
Well, one time I smoked a bit too much, my blood pressure dropped and I lost conscience. Since I was standing, I fell against a nearby table, I impacted its corner with my chest and broke 2 ribs.

So yeah, weed is not 100% safe

Stay away from alcohol, then - you can really fall from getting messed up on that.

finalflame

I agree with this 100%. The shitty image and stigma given to cocaine because of people who make bad life choices is insane. I always tell people that what most see as a cocaine "addiction" is, in reality, a habit. It's not a physically addictive drug. Some weekends I binge on it. Other times, I go months without it. But every time I do indulge it's a fucking blast.

And weed is just fucking boring as shit.

This exactly...except the 100% opposite.

Coke is a waste of time and money and only leaves you jonesing for more, while not actually giving you any decent psychoactive effects, like weed, acid, mdma, andmushrooms do. I guess coke is alright if you love going to the dentist and having them call you out on your teeth grinding. Coke is basically just stupidly expensive and addictive coffee. Only for real douchebags and addicts.

Weed just basically makes everything better and makes people a lot nicer in general. It's not underrated though...it's just as good as it's made out to be.

Top Bottom