• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mother 3 = April 20 (in Japan)

Easter is the first thing that I thought of. :lol

Maybe Mother 1+2 will be Nintendos USA April-May USA filler title?

The GBA titles arent many...

Earthbound fans have been called alot of things, often buy gaffers, but we are patient if anything. ohhhh yeah!!!!!! FINALLY

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Someone needs to make sure that NOA knows we need this title... and "Earthbound Collection."

Mihail

Banned
sammy said:
Hitler's birthday
Napoleon's birthday
my birthday
Mother 3

yay time
Mine too. I've never played a Mother game (or finished any RPG for that matter). Can I jump into Mother 3?

AndoCalrissian said:
So... how are there no screens of this game yet?
Itoi's got a special relationship with Nintendo; he's actually a celebrity in Japan. That's the only reason why he's able to announce something like this via a little post on his web page, in advance of the typical marketing blitz (spread in Famitsu, etc).

Mother 1 & 2 are very similar, but i've never felt they were related in story, though there are many who would argue differently. I'm HOPING 3 will carry story from 2, if only some key points. Mother may be a bit primitive now for some, but play Earthbound(mother2), its great and will give you any info you need for possible story carry and inside references in 3.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I think I'll just keep shouting bullshit right until the moment the game lands on my hands. It's not like this is the first time they're getting my hopes up!

Amir0x

Banned
Chittagong said:
I think I'll just keep shouting bullshit right until the moment the game lands on my hands. It's not like this is the first time they're getting my hopes up!

Yeah, I think it might be best just to believe this is all an elaborate joke until the day I see it on a shelf somewhere. Then I'll stumble into it and be all "Oh... yeah"

Jonnyram

Boards of Canada said:
Mother 3 for what, DS?
gba.jpg

Bebpo

Banned
I've never played Mother 1 more than 10 mins or so and never touched 2, am I bad person? :(

Tried playing Mother with the GBA re-release but it felt realllly dated like Maniac Mansion 1 dated. I suck at holding interest while playing old games ;_;

Amir0x

Banned
Bebpo said:
I've never played Mother 1 more than 10 mins or so and never touched 2, am I bad person? :(

Tried playing Mother with the GBA re-release but it felt realllly dated like Maniac Mansion 1 dated. I suck at holding interest while playing old games ;_;

Mother 1 is really, super unbalanced which makes it ultra tough. But it's no shame to not have enjoyed it, it's nothing compared to the awesome of Mother 2.

But both have fairly dated gameplay, so from that perspective Mother 2 wins hands down since it was released later.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Bebpo said:

Yeah I beat Mother 1 a little while ago again and its age is showing, but it was still a lot of fun. (bitching hard too since I never stay and level :D) Earthbound is way more refined and easier to play.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I like how Nintendo gives us a release date for a game that's been waiting 5-10 years, yet doesn't even give us a ballpark figure for the new Zelda. Hmm.

demi

Oblivion said:
I like how Nintendo gives us a release date for a game that's been waiting 5-10 years, yet doesn't even give us a ballpark figure for the new Zelda. Hmm.

Well um, hate to break it to you, but

Zelda sucks.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Oblivion said:

If I'm not mistaken, Itoi's the one giving the date, not Nintendo.

Oblivion

demi said:
Where is your God now?

Probably playing God of War with Kojima instead of finishing Mario 128 :(.

But in any case, as I've predicted, this looks to be the best year of gaming since...well, EVER!

Oblivion

Sorry, I believe I ask this in every Mother 3 thread, and I always forget, but what are the LTDs for the series in Japan?

Bebpo said:

The Mother games weren't very good to begin with and have aged horribly. Its basically "RPGs for Dummies."

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
The Experiment said:
The Mother games weren't very good to begin with and have aged horribly. Its basically "RPGs for Dummies."

Mother 1, sure. But you can't be more wrong with regard to Mother 2--the game has gotten better with age, if anything. It has some of the most polished (if derivative) combat of any SNES RPG, the graphics (which were slammed as overly simplistic on release) now look clean and appropriate, the music is in the top tier on the SNES, and the story/weirdness is timeless.

Jiggy

Amir0x said:
If [Nintendo] do not show RESPECT for the US Earthbound fans, they are confirmed dead and will exist no more in my dark, crippled heart.
You'd probably come back if they put some combination of Paula, Jeff, and Poo in the next SSB.

Oblivion

Oblivion said:
Sorry, I believe I ask this in every Mother 3 thread, and I always forget, but what are the LTDs for the series in Japan?

Anyone?

Jonk

GBA? Yeah, Pretty darn sure. VVV

Taken from Starmen.net

The following is the relevant section of Itoi-san's recent post on his website (translation by NattyBumppo):

Mother 3's release date has been set. It will be April 20th, 2006 (Thursday). At least it's spring. It'll go on sale before the start of Golden Week. We'll be doing an official announcement pretty soon, but this is the "final" date. Once the release date is set, there are no more additions of new specs or anything like that. We'll no longer be able to fiddle around with anything in the game, unless it's something especially important. It makes me a little sad, but I can't be selfish. Since it's GameBoy Advance software, that naturally means that you'll also be able to play it on the Nintendo DS that everyone's so crazy about these days.

Alrighty then.

At first I was thinking, "man, shouldn't it really be on DS?" and then I realized that how much more help does the DS need? It's already at "national phenomenon" status, like Tamagotchi, or used panties.

Amir0x

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
You'd probably come back if they put some combination of Paula, Jeff, and Poo in the next SSB.

You make a compelling argument. But, it would take more than that! It would take the announcement and first screens of Pikmin 3 to bring me back from the brink :(

Kobun: It should be on GBA so Itoi doesn't ruin the game with terrible gimmicks. The crazy shit he could do with DS version would be too much for his weird soul, I think!

Amir0x said:
Kobun: It should be on GBA so Itoi doesn't ruin the game with terrible gimmicks.
You are a fickle mistress, Amir. OMG ITOI HAVE MY LOVE CHILD NO NOT ON THE DS NO NO NO YOU TALENTLESS HACK

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Oblivion said:

Well I have nothing specific, but according to this, neither made it to a million. And there are some pretty damn old Japanese only games on there, so it's not like it's likely to have just been missed.

Jonk

In an interview a while back, Itoi stated that he put in on the GBA even after Nintendo's repeated requests for a DS home because it is more acccessible to people with the present installed GBA and DS fanbase, it would be a great portable adventure.

Itoi stated that the main reason mother 1+2 came out on the GBA because he felt that the series and the game was better suited on a portable so you can play a little, put it away and pick it up again whenever, wherever and play it some more. This is most likely the same case for Mother 3 being on GBA.

Also, based on initial development and the investment that he and Nintendo has made on the game, it was best to go ahead with the GBA because it would have mosy likely been delayed EVEN LONGER for DS upgrades, functionality, which many have expressed as unwanted.

Jonk

Is that list just North America, Japan, does it include WORLDWIDE SALES.

What market is that list representing?

Jonk

Brownie Brown is doing the game. I'm pretty damn sure of it. Itoi has made many hints and writings on his blog that suggest staff that work for Brownie Brown on the project, namely one of their employed artists at BB, that Itoi said is an artist for Mother3. It is the same guy that did the art for Magical Vacation. He is an award winning artist in Japan as well.

On top of that, we are pretty sure it is Project B within Brownie Brown.

Check this out. :)

Amir0x

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
You are a fickle mistress, Amir. OMG ITOI HAVE MY LOVE CHILD NO NOT ON THE DS NO NO NO YOU TALENTLESS HACK

I just said I don't want it ruined by terrible gimmicks! The DS is such the temptation for this, there's zero doubt about that. I mean his EB games are weird enough! They trim the line without going overboard! But I think with DS, can you imagine what we'd get? Rubbing battle systems and clapping mini-games and coughing into microphone boss encounters. It'd be too much for poor Itoi. Not to mention we'd get another ridiculous five year delay, and also it might be in 3D which would be awful.

duckroll

I still don't understand how a game like this can have no screenshots or media whatsoever so close to the release date. Tales of the Tempest is coming out at around the same time and it had a logo and character design MONTHS ago, not to mention that camcordered playable footage. And now all the mags are starting to cover it.

I don't understand what the fuck is happening here.

Top Bottom