• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorola to relaunch the Razr in February as a $1500 foldable smartphone

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
https://www.wsj.com/articles/verizons-5g-game-plan-1536673535

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...ola-razr-smartphone-fold-price-verizon-lenovo

The legendary Motorola RAZR might be making a comeback as a $1,500 foldable screen smartphone, and it could launch as early as February, according to a new report from TheWall Street Journal.

The original RAZR was one of the most iconic cellphones ever made, and it seems that Motorola’s parent company Lenovo is looking to cash in on that branding with an updated foldable phone (similar to the one that Samsung has teased for later this year). Per the WSJ, the new RAZR will be exclusive to Verizon in the US with a planned February launch, although the device is still in testing and details have yet to be finalized.

According to the WSJ report, Lenovo is hoping to manufacture over 200,000 of the new RAZRs, which may seem optimistic for a $1,500 luxury smartphone. But considering that the (admittedly much cheaper) RAZR V3 model sold 130 million units over its lifespan, if lightning does manage to strike twice, that goal might not be so hard to hit.

:lollipop_downcast_sweat:

I remember the RAZR. Bunch of friends had one. I was rocking the old ass Nokia for so long. Thing was a brick. Probably still works

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You ain’t just cool.

You ice cold.
GY9DwWG.png

highrider

Banned
Ehh, I think smartphones have kind of fizzled out in terms of innovation. It’s just kind of shit you need now so your not a social pariah.

Guiberu

Ehh, I think smartphones have kind of fizzled out in terms of innovation. It’s just kind of shit you need now so your not a social pariah.

This whole foldable phone thing is going to partially reignite that phone craze. Guaranteed.

I'm just happy we're on the right path to Westworld style devices.

That I can pick up on the cheap in a few years...

mekes

I think by this point I’d rather just have a Razr phone again. I have an iPad, so I’d take any candy bar or flip phone as long as it could run WhatsApp and had decent cameras. I really wish there was more diversity on offer with mobile phones. I loved my Razr phone, my sliding Sony Walkman phone.

highrider

Banned
This whole foldable phone thing is going to partially reignite that phone craze. Guaranteed.

I'm just happy we're on the right path to Westworld style devices.

That I can pick up on the cheap in a few years...

I don’t think it will. The Flossy Carters of the world will be all over it but I had an interesting experience last week, my son got his first upgrade phone from his iPhone 6s and could have gotten any phone he wanted. He chose the iPhone 8 because he prefers the physical home button. I think people are getting more hip to new doesn’t always mean better.

Dontero

Banned
1500$ for motorolla lol

Imho they should take original RAZR take out keyboard and screen and input instead this foldable screen.
This way you would have phone half the size of normal phone with screen that is just as big.

Aspect ratio would be amazing for both movies and text.

Kind of like this but more pro (lol), less plastic and bussy:

iIUpqUq.jpg

It would be also amzing to write on it because lower part of screen could work as normal keypad in those cases while upper screen would still show you complete screen without keyboard hiding stuff.

Last edited:

greyshark

At this point I’m just not willing to pay over $1000 for a phone - especially something that is only going to last 3-4 years at best. I do it for a desktop, but I get 8 years out of those.

Price is crazy but I could see the thin and foldable design reinvigorating the cellphone market again if it can be done with a fully featured smartphone.

Ellis

Most of my friends had Razr V3's, but I went with a different beast....

The Z800
Sony%20Ericsson-z800-image-1435395276.jpg

Unlike the Motorola, this was actually awesome for music playback.

cryptoadam

Banned
Seems cool, but Smart phone sales are down across the board showing that purchasers are not upgrading as much and not biting at these 1000$ and more phones.

Anyone coming in with a 1500$ phone is going to have a tough time selling them. Even Apples numbers are down.

I am all for foldable phones and the crazy tech that comes along with foldable screens so the more players in the game better.

Dthomp

I feel like I had just read something about apple being upset that 1k phones aren’t selling great...due to price. So let’s raise the price by $500. Wish youngins would just stop with the yearly phone upgrades and help to bring the cost down, not up

mekes

This topic being here encouraged me to go on a little hunt to see what flip phones are out there. Samsung have a SD845, dual 12mp camera flip phone that looks nice. Way too expensive tho.

samsung-2019.jpg

Nice to see some different designs from these companies after so long.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

I mean, is it even that? I've never discussed phones with anybody. The closest thing I've discussed is service.

Last edited:

John Day

Had one. Was very cool at the time when in the 2000’s industry pushed slim thin phones. But at $1,500 today bucks, what does it do besides nostalgia?

Hey I had one of those.

The laughable pricing seems to suggest a limited production run, hence high cost per unit.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
Why would you want to fold a phone

Because phone could be smaller and yet have bigger screen than non fold-able one. In case of what i posted earlier that phone would have ~1,5 the size of normal screen and yet it would be about half as big as phones today.
AND thanks to such "weird" aspect ration it would be great for texting or browsing web.

Last edited:
Top Bottom