• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

sun-drop

well actually i was going to pass on it as well. even after the demo.

don't remeber why i did eventually pick it up tho .. i remeber seeing it on a demo keosik in town as thinking it looked pretty rough.

but maybe it was the hype here? not sure ... brought it ... loved it.

maybe because it was so soon after the orig? ... so i'm kinda wondering if evo studios will anounce something totally new at E3 ...or MSPR DLC .... i'd actually be happy with DLC

RPS37

sun-drop said:
any word on DLC map packs for E3?

just love this game.

has garnett played it yet? it got all excited about excitebots ... play tHIS!

You just called Garnett an 'it'.
I rented this game from Gamefly a couple weeks ago, loved it.
2 hours later: bought.

Now I'm at Rank 4 and shit is starting get pretty difficult.
I love the art style, though. I would be go nuts over a game if it MS:pR's art style but wasn't a racing game.
Most fun I've had with an arcade racer since Burnout Revenge (yeah whatever), and more fun than I had with Burnout Paradise, surprisingly.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
I have this game since last year, but only played it half an hour and left it on the shelve. I didn't like the handling, there's less physics in the driving. The graphics are too confusing and jagged.

I was disappointed because I am after all a hardcore motorstorm1 player.
I started playing MS2 again yesterday and I am loving it. I guess I forgot how MS1 played and this is doing tons of favours towards MS2.

I still complain though. The graphics are beautiful but they don't do the driving any favours. Its like playing blind sometimes. The handling is on rails now. No more awesome power steering scandinavian flick drifts through the corners. Now Its all about max speed and HANDBRAKE, turn, max speed.

Cesar

Banned
ChryZ said:
DLC was mentioned month ago, but it's overdue. Pretty strange since they showered MS1 with all kinds of shit.

I'm not going to search the interview but before Motorstorm: PC was released they said they will bring out new DLC every week! Months later....still nothing. I wonder if it has to do with the dissapointing sales.

wouwie

Cesar said:
I'm not going to search the interview but before Motorstorm: PC was released they said they will bring out new DLC every week! Months later....still nothing. I wonder if it has to do with the dissapointing sales.

I had the same impression from reading the motorstorm monday blogs on playstation blog. At least i had the impression that they were going to release some car packs and such at around christmas (some of the stuff would have been free, iirc).

I have a feeling that something happened/changed in their plans. Which is a pity as i was looking forward to some new tracks.

If disappointing sales are sales well over 1 million, yeah. It's one of those games with slow sales and long legs.

I'm also bothered by the lack of updates so long after release, but at least they aren't releasing useless vehicles in different paint jobs. I expect them to release 4 new tracks eventually, one per zone.

Goldrusher

MotorStorm® Pacific Rift – Second Game Update Out Now!

05.11.2009 The second major game update for MotorStorm Pacific Rift is available to download right now! Read on to find out what’s in the update, and how you can download it.

How do I download the update?

To download the update, ensure that your PLAYSTATION®3 is connected to PlayStation®Network and then insert the Blu-ray Disc and/or run the game, and accept the download when prompted.
You will need to download the update to be able to access the online sections of the game.

What’s in the update?

> 40 unique Microbadges for every player to collect.
Earn them for a wide variety of accomplishments and show them off to every other racer online!

> Sugar Rush short-cut removed.
The short-cut which by-passes the sugar field was not intentionally included and has been removed.

> Sugar Rush respawn point fixed.
Crashing at a certain point on the track no longer respawns the vehicle in a generous position.

> Additional fixes and improvements to gameplay.

Thank you to everyone who has provided feedback on MotorStorm Pacific Rift so far: we are still investigating the other issues that have been brought to our attention.

Please let us know your thoughts on this update, and on the game in general, by visiting the VIP.MotorStorm.com forums.
http://vip.motorstorm.com/ms/portal...nn.html&target=/acwce-motorstorm_home-article

Erebus

Too bad they haven't announced any DLC yet. :(
I'm starting to believe that sales weren't good enough to justify DLC support.

Madman

chubigans said:
WHERES THE DLC AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Seriously, why has it been nearly nine months with no news on that. Ugh.
Probably too few people playing for DLC to be justified. At least the game is getting patches.
Thrakier said:
The DLC for MS1 was shown at the first E3 after the game released in November. There is still hope.
That's true.

I hope that we can listen to our own music while playing online. I just don't get why there is custom soundtrack support offline, but not online, it doesn't make sense at all! Not that the soundtrack is bad or anything, but sometime I want to listen to my music...

Jed Ashforth MotorStorm VIP said:
There are 40 Microbadges to collect, covering a wide variety of achievements, so hopefully we’ve offered badges which reward all types of players. Some are tied to Trophies, some are based on your solo performance in the Festival, some are earned for online play, and some are exclusive to the new content we’ve got coming up – which you’ll get to learn more about, soon!

There's your DLC.

Sauce

And yes, it is live in PAL land, I'm 76% on the 415mb download.
Did look like the game was going to start without updating.

navanman said:
Is the patch live for PAL users or only US disc?

I'm getting nothing so far on my PAL disc?

I'm a pal user, and I'm downloading the patch as I'm posting, there must be something wrong on your side. You should get a patch warning as soon as you launch the game.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
RockmanWhore said:
I'm a pal user, and I'm downloading the patch as I'm posting, there must be something wrong on your side. You should get a patch warning as soon as you launch the game.

Signed out and in again and its downloading now.

Goldrusher

415MB ??!

Probably contains a shitload of new cars and skins, which obviously everyone has to download for when you're online...

Goldrusher

BeeDog said:
How big was the previous patch for comparison?

Hopefully the DLC will bring at least 2-3 new stages.
Previous patch was only 57 MB.

But unless the new tracks are free, why should everyone have need to download them ?
Could you race the DLC online without having bought it, in the first game ? Like LittleBigPlanet's MGS levels ?

Lince

Banned
it's a shame this game hasn't got more attention, easily the best arcade racing game this gen, the graphics are breathtaking and everything is polished. I was a fan of the original Motorstorm and I think that was a bit more "sim" and Pacific Rift feels more "arcade" but still a pure joy and blast to play, bumper view of course. I wonder why it got so-so reviews all around...

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I've been playing this multiplayer with friends locally for the past few days. I booted it up and asked them to try it and they immediately loved it. I just wish there was more than 2 modes.

I just learned about the update. Nice to hear DLC is coming soon, even though they are taking long to release it. Funny how they can develop a full game rather quickly and need so much time to release DLC.

By the way, the game says that unlocking all the badges will result in a reward.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
srsly sony with patches that big +400MB for most first party games you should put them on Playstation store so we can background download them ( UTIII /LAIR patch were on PSstore )

Lince said:
it's a shame this game hasn't got more attention, easily the best arcade racing game this gen, the graphics are breathtaking and everything is polished. I was a fan of the original Motorstorm and I think that was a bit more "sim" and Pacific Rift feels more "arcade" but still a pure joy and blast to play, bumper view of course. I wonder why it got so-so reviews all around...

if you think Motorstorm is any " sim " at all then your whole life is a lie .

the so-so reviews is for most of the arcade games actually , not only Motorstorm .

Melfice7

How do people respawn so fast after they crash? i mean im going side by side with some guy.. he crashes and respawns immediately in front of me already going as fast as i go! wtf? T_T

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Lince said:
I agree 100%. The thrill of racing in this game is driven by the unpredictability of the terrain, the physics it applies, and the mayhem that ensues when what seemed like a good racing move turns out to be a painful one. Anyone who loved WaveRace64 or ATV Off Road Fury in previous generations should do themselves a big favor and check out M:pR.

And good to hear about the DLC!

Goldrusher

I still don't like the rank 7 & 8 races though.
Melfice7 said:
How do people respawn so fast after they crash? i mean im going side by side with some guy.. he crashes and respawns immediately in front of me already going as fast as i go! wtf? T_T
He probably never crashed. If he has a laggy connection, your game "predicts" the route he will take. Most of the times it's pretty accurate, other times, it shows you a crash that never happened.

Totobeni said:
srsly sony with patches that big +400MB for most first party games you should put them on Playstation store so we can background download them ( UTIII /LAIR patch were on PSstore )

Yeah, they're big for a title update. At least they're not mandatory, as you can cancel the download. Still, they would be so much better if they could be downloaded on the background.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Philanthropist said:
Yeah, they're big for a title update. At least they're not mandatory, as you can cancel the download. Still, they would be so much better if they could be downloaded on the background.

they are mandatory if you want to play online , but Sony's patches are always fuck big ( 500
MB for socom , 450MB for Hot Shot Golf ..ect ) and they can put them on PSstore like UT3 and LAIR patches so why not ?

Lince said:

this is a huge problem with the genre in general this gen ( since last gen actually ) MX , ATV , WaverRace , Splashdown , Excite series , PGR , Pure ..ect , they are just not popular like the sim games anymore

hmm....wonder why the hell that patch was 415 MB!?

anyways, still stuck at about level 7 on the Festival.....need like 225 more points to upgrade. I don't know if I'll ever be able to do it....shit's hard now :lol

Melfice7

Goldrusher said:
He probably never crashed. If he has a laggy connection, your game "predicts" the route he will take. Most of the times it's pretty accurate, other times, it shows you a crash that never happened.

Alright i can understand that, tought it was some kinda new bug or something :3

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
MikeE21286 said:
hmm....wonder why the hell that patch was 415 MB!?

anyways, still stuck at about level 7 on the Festival.....need like 225 more points to upgrade. I don't know if I'll ever be able to do it....shit's hard now :lol

..just aim for 3rd place , also don't go so fast until the last sections , use and take advantage of the rubber bands AI

if you are in despair use a gamesave

Totobeni said:
..just aim for 3rd place , also don't go so fast until the last sections , use and take advantage of the rubber bands AI

if you are in despair use a gamesave

Actually bronze won't cut it anymore....I need to unlock some events

I need to start turning my bronzes into golds and silvers now.....I don't even have that many bronzes either. I'm gonna keep goin though because I love the game. Hopefully new DLC is soon

WTF @ massive update. WTF@@@@
Is that sugar rush short cut the one where you cut across the sugar canes or is there another short cut i'm not aware of?
It would suck if they removed the shortcut that went thru the sugar canes as it only benefited monster trucks.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/05/13/motorstorm-pacific-rift-game-update-and-free-dlc/

Hey all you, Motorstormers!

Hope you’re having fun ripping it up in the jungle on Pacific Rift because starting this Thursday, May 14th, we’ll be sending a downloadable vehicle livery pack your way every week for the next eight weeks exclusively via PlayStation Store. Each pack features new paint jobs for three vehicles, and the full set will give MotorStorm: Pacific Rift players a cutting-edge new look for every single vehicle class in the game: Mudpluggers, Quad Bikes, Monster Trucks, Rally Cars and more. Each new livery has been designed by one of Evolution’s top studio artists and the result is a collection of some of the craziest and out-there vehicle sprays ever seen in a racing game!

And to top it off, all these liveries are FREE!

Additionally, Game Update #2 was just released, and provides a number of useful fixes and updates for MotorStorm Pacific Rift. These include:

* Sugar Rush short-cut removed – The short-cut to the left of the “keep right” arrows going into the sugar field was not intentionally included and has been removed
* Sugar Rush respawn point fixed – Crashing at a certain point on the track no longer respawns the vehicle in a generous position
* Inclusion of Microbadges

Actually, wanted to focus on these new Microbadges as these are very cool ways of giving each player a distinct identity when online in MotorStorm Pacific Rift. Microbadges are in-game displayable ‘medals’ which let you flaunt your proudest personal accomplishments and your off-road racing prowess to every other racer online.

Microbadges go beyond the usual Trophies that MotorStorm Pacific Rift already awards; the idea is that they should be dedicated to things you’d want other players to know about while you’re racing online. Here are some examples:

* Gold Festival – Completed Pacific Rift Festival with all Gold medals
* Immortal – Win an Online Ranked race without wrecking
* Flame and Fortune – 20 Boost explosion wins
* Time Attack Master – Record an impressive Time Attack time on any Leaderboard
* Supreme Victor – Win any Online or Offline race by a margin of 15 seconds

Microbadges are displayed beneath each Online ID, and players can display up to three badges from the get-go. Three more badge slots (there are six slots total) can be earned by working up the online ranks, and players can unlock 40 microbadges total. Players can choose which badges to show off and highlight what they’ve achieved in the game. Microbadges will also provide retroactive credit, so if you’ve already put in the hours, you’ll be reaping the rewards.

Hurrah!

Decado

I'm really enjoying the game...but I gotta ask, do the different vehicle models that you unlock as you progress have any impact besides their appearance?

Top Bottom