• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

Shai-Tan

Banned
DarkUSS said:
I haven't played Pacific Rift in like... forever. Are people still playing online?

yes, but there's not enough noob players to queue them in their own games. I get owned badly online.

Shai-Tan said:
yes, but there's not enough noob players to queue them in their own games. I get owned badly online.
I have the same problem. I can't remember the last time I came first in a race. Still good fun though.

Anyone here still play this?

I was thinking of having a forum vs forum race-off with a group of people I play with from another message board(ignore the OP, it's a year out of date as Cropolite doesn't play with us anymore). Thought I'd ask here since it's the biggest gaming forum that I know of. It'd be 6 of our best versus 6 from here some Monday night(because we always play on Mondays). We play team based tournaments. I host the whole shindig, keep score and record it too, so I can make a highlights reel for everyone to laugh at afterwards. It's the final week of our 4th season tomorrow and I thought this would be a nice distraction until we start up for season 5 sometime in May.

I'm not very optimistic based on how active this thread is, though.
icon_e_sad.gif

Let me know if you're up for it. Could be fun.

Blablurn

did the second game even had DLC support? i'm to lazy to look after it on the store. it's a shame how sony treated the second game.

It got loads of DLC last Summer. 14 new tracks, a new mode, some new vehicles, new riders and loads of new paintjobs 'n shit.
I would've thought it was one of Sony's better supported games, myself.

Blablurn

chalkitdown1 said:
It got loads of DLC last Summer. 14 new tracks, a new mode, some new vehicles, new riders and loads of new paintjobs 'n shit.
I would've thought it was one of Sony's better supported games, myself.

oops, my fault. great job sony. still, the motorstorm series deserves more love.

Ranger X

lol

I am playing this game since some time (24 events done so far). It's really nice. Not sure I am as impressed as with the first game by the gameplay but the tracks look better and there's more "wow" moments into them. The game is an exercice in anger management though. I hope I will not blow up a vein the brain before the end...

FINALLY picked this game up and OHHH MAN, it's like a throwback to racing games I loved 2 generations ago. I mean that in terms of split-screen gameplay. So far this gen, this game has the most perfect split screen set up for a racing game. Quick restarts, AI RACERS ON THE COURSE ALONG WITH 1-4 HUMANS, quick exits from races, and slick menus. I love it. Every racer should have this exact set up.

Wassup with the contrast though? No options to adjust it either?

Net_Wrecker said:
FINALLY picked this game up and OHHH MAN, it's like a throwback to racing games I loved 2 generations ago. I mean that in terms of split-screen gameplay. So far this gen, this game has the most perfect split screen set up for a racing game . Quick restarts, AI RACERS ON THE COURSE ALONG WITH 1-4 HUMANS, quick exits from races, and slick menus. I love it. Every racer should have this exact set up.

Wassup with the contrast though? No options to adjust it either?

Only until MS:A comes out. :D
It will do all that but you can also take the splitscreen races online to race against 12 more people. Also, all 4 local players can sign in with their respective PSN ID to gain stats/rewards etc.

not sure what you mean with the contrast though.

SolidusDave said:
not sure what you mean with the contrast though.

The darks seem WAAAAAY too dark, while the lights are really light. It makes for a slight problem when racing in the darker lighting conditions, or in the shade. Some of the tracks are almost impossible to see where to turn unless you really know the layout. It's only a problem on Pacific Rift as well, every other game looks great on my TV. Just seems overdone. A brightness setting slider would've solved my problem.

Just thought I'd share this awesome story with you guys.

I mostly post on another forum, here, where we have a very small but dedicated bunch of Motorstorm fans(716 page thread!). For the last 2 and a bit years, we've been meeting and having tournaments every single Monday night. We keep scores, have teams, tables, and I even record the whole thing and upload the highlights of the night to youtube. Basically, a lot of work goes into it. Anyway, last Monday past, we decided that we would draw Motorstorm Monday to a close for various reasons, and we played our final ever meet. It went on for 3 hours and lots of drink was involved. And as a reward for our years of loyalty, yesterday I got an PM from the games director at Evolution Studios, Matt Southern, who gave me 20, that's right 20 Playstation Plus subscriptions worth 15 months each to share amongst myself and my fellow players. (25 years worth of subscriptions, If I had kept them all to myself).

I thought it was pretty fucking awesome of him and shows that some studios really do care about their fanbase, no matter how small they may be.

Fun starts here(I'm Tony Vreski)

Evolution are the best. :D

G_Berry

Banned
chalkitdown1 said:

I mostly post on another forum, here, where we have a very small but dedicated bunch of Motorstorm fans(716 page thread!). For the last 2 and a bit years, we've been meeting and having tournaments every single Monday night. We keep scores, have teams, tables, and I even record the whole thing and upload the highlights of the night to youtube. Basically, a lot of work goes into it. Anyway, last Monday past, we decided that we would draw Motorstorm Monday to a close for various reasons, and we played our final ever meet. It went on for 3 hours and lots of drink was involved. And as a reward for our years of loyalty, yesterday I got an PM from the games director at Evolution Studios, Matt Southern, who gave me 20, that's right 20 Playstation Plus subscriptions worth 15 months each to share amongst myself and my fellow players. (25 years worth of subscriptions, If I had kept them all to myself).

I thought it was pretty fucking awesome of him and shows that some studios really do care about their fanbase, no matter how small they may be.

I'll trade you a copy of AvP on steam for one :lol

tzare

chalkitdown1 said:

that is very nice !!
I hope Apocalypse helps Motorstorm to keep going (and hopefully likes to all people that enjoyed PR and have doubts, myself included )

Reckoner

I'm getting really annoyed and disappointed with this game. I thought Evolution Studios learned something from the first game, but I see they fucked up with the AI again.

Come on, how can a game that relies on a cheap AI can be fun? The first one was still playable even in the last events, this one is garbage. A completely waste of time. I'm never gonna get another MotorStorm game if they stick with this ridiculous AI again. It isn't even difficult, it is only frustrating. Only frustrating. And I can't see how a experience like that can be fun.

Since they have really fun gameplay mechanics, they really should put their things together and work on a better AI. I'm thinking on giving up playing it.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
There's one level, a beach level that I had to play over and over again to get a gold medal. I remember being ahead the whole race and out of nowhere the same vehicle kept passing me at the last stretch of the final lap. I tried multiple paths and finally just stuck to the quickest one which had me finishing around 3 minutes or so for an average. I would race the perfect race and still get passed. Finally a stroke of luck and I got first. What really pissed me off was that I ended up finishing well behind my fastest race. It was around 15 seconds IIRC. I think it took me a good 2 - 3 hours just for that one track. I haven't played Apocalypse, but I know the PSP one didn't have nearly as bad AI.

Reckoner

MadOdorMachine said:
There's one level, a beach level that I had to play over and over again to get a gold medal. I remember being ahead the whole race and out of nowhere the same vehicle kept passing me at the last stretch of the final lap. I tried multiple paths and finally just stuck to the quickest one which had me finishing around 3 minutes or so for an average. I would race the perfect race and still get passed. Finally a stroke of luck and I got first. What really pissed me off was that I ended up finishing well behind my fastest race. It was around 15 seconds IIRC. I think it took me a good 2 - 3 hours just for that one track. I haven't played Apocalypse, but I know the PSP one didn't have nearly as bad AI.
I finally won that Razorback: Punching the Rolls event with gold medal. It was a pain. Now I just want to take the game and put it on the shelf forever.

Just a reminder, the servers for this are being shut down on Monday, so this weekend is the final chance to have a few games online. I'm gonna be playing it for sure.

Top Bottom