• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movie villains that scared you shitless

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR3AM

the guy from jeepers creepers

Creep_part3.jpg

Volimar

It's awesome how you KNOW something is coming, based on the conversation and shot selection, but it still fucking gets you.

Movie is a masterclass in effective scare technique.

It's a shame about the last half hour or so...

My favorite part of Insidious isn't even scary.
When the two guys go to check out the noise or w/e and the tech guy gives the artist a flashlight, and then he picked up a friggen searchlight sized flashlight. Laughed my ass off.

Cat Party

Wow, lots of memories coming back of things that scared me. Fuck Return of Oz, Witches, and Killer Klowns for Outer Space. Return of Oz must have traumatized me, because I don't remember it but seeing those pics is triggering something anyway. Wheelers, man, wheelers.

Holy shit this thread; I'm not going to sleep tonight.

My entry: It's not from a movie, but all my movie choices have been posted.
Emptychild.jpg

The Empty Child from the Doctor Who episode of the same name. The kid himself isn't that creepy, but every scene where he turns someone else into a copy of himself has me hiding behind the sofa.

John Simm's Master kind of freaks me out too, when he accelerates the Doctor's aging.

favorite episode.

This thread is a great example of how no one reads the OP or even browses through the thread before posting. Post the fucking titles of the movies!

This thread is a great example of how no one reads the OP or even browses through the thread before posting. Post the fucking titles of the movies!

Sorry, edited mine to fall inline.

I guess I just assumed that the visual style would make it easier to figure out. It should be all good now though :)

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Insidious. The whole movie up to that point is great, then it goes downhill.

I was actually going to say the same thing. The first 3 quarters of that movie is so good, and then, the last quarter happens...*sigh*

Anyway, came to post Judge Doom from Roger Rabbit, the creepy robot lady from Superman 3, and Darth Vader in the cave scene in The Empire Strikes Back (the slow motion, smoke, and Luke's face in the decapitated helmet scared the shit out of me when I was a kid).

the director is the real creepy villain. The guy is a convicted child molester.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Salva

JEEPERS CREEPERS is an autobiography if you think about it. Pay attention in particular to the monster's table (what it depicts and who made it) and his choice at the end of the film. How's that for scary?
Screw the Darth Maul dude in Insidious. This old lady is 10X creepier.

insidious-old-woman.jpg

A couple film jokes in INSIDIOUS:

"Darth Maul" is a red herring and he is red.

The old lady gets closer with each photograph. A film is a series of photographs...

I was actually going to say the same thing. The first 3 quarters of that movie is so good, and then, the last quarter happens...*sigh*

seems to be a problem with most horror movies in the last decade or so.

This writers just can't close it.

When the writers can close it, studios swoop in and fuck things up.

The writers of the most recent THE THING, for example, admitted that they wanted a more eerie, open ending to certain characters (since everyone who saw Carpenter's knew how the final couple minutes would be regardless). Producers didn't have the balls to have things open to interpretation so rewrites were required.
Neil Marshall's THE DECENT was another. Those of us living in the US were treated to a typical cliche ending. The original ending, which I believe UKers got, was the intended ending... and it was awesome, IMO.

Is It a good book?

I should really watch or read IT sometime.

I'd read the book, because the movie wasn't that good. After reading it at night, I was to scared to get off my bed to pee.

By far BOB from Twin Peaks, he scared me shitless when I saw the series the first time:

tumblr_lrnjch1PjH1qa2hzlo1_500.gif

tumblr_ljrrc7e1GA1qa6v7o.gif

tumblr_ll0j236wQR1qaodtzo1_500.gif

(Not really a movie villain, but still. I really have to watch Twin Peaks again!)

Reminds me of the Walking Man.

Xayide from The Neverending Story II.

DkK1g.jpg

Mainly because of these:

mJaFk.png

Scary motherfuckers when you're 7 or 8.
YES! But I mean NNNNOOOOOOOO!

I still remember a nightmare I had where those fuckers were hunting around my old neighborhood and I was hiding in a friend's outdoor porch closet thing and one started smashing its hellspawned hand through the door. Freaked the fuck out. Still haunted by the memories in a way. It felt too real.

voodooray

Like any sneaky kid with ready access to the finest VHS could offer, these terrified me growing up:

5jJes.jpg

Blake and his crew from The Fog

zWiEr.jpg

Cropsey from The Burning

jtXkD.jpg

Legion from Exorcist III

scosher

Watched a lot of horror movies growing up as a kid. Nightmare on Elm Street as early as 6 or 7.

Yet, for some reason, I always recall these B-rated horror movies/villains:

blade1.jpg

From Puppetmaster. Antique dolls are creepier than clowns.

images

Not a villain, but the blinking eye in palm of hand always freaked me out when I saw this TV-movie: "The Gate."

Hah! I had similar problems with trying to think of ways to get The Haunting (1963 naturally). I guess the sound of wood being struck can be considered a villain, given most movie efforts these days.

Scariest kind of villain, IMO. Their evil and sheer terror cannot be accurately quantified.

Watched a lot of horror movies growing up as a kid. Nightmare on Elm Street as early as 6 or 7.

Yet, for some reason, I always recall these B-rated horror movies/villains:

blade1.jpg

From Puppetmaster. Antique dolls are creepier than clowns.

images

Not a villain, but the blinking eye in palm of hand always freaked me out when I saw this TV-movie: "The Gate."

I love that shot of Blade jumping off the bed in PUPPET MASTER. So eerie looking.

Also, THE GATE was not a TV movie.

bengraven

Just remembered the big one.
jh68l.jpg

When I was four or five, I was absolutely terrified of the Wicked Witch. I couldn't be in the same room if she was on TV, which was difficult as my sister loved the movie and at the time we all shared the one family TV. Had nightmares about her and everything.

But, one day I was watching Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood and he invited Margaret Hamilton (the actress who played the witch) on and showed that she wasn't really a witch and that she was a sweet old lady. They made paper witch hats and stuff. It was really comforting. I got over my fear of her, and ever since, I've had a great deal of respect for Mr. Rogers because he knew that The Wizard of Oz was a movie that a lot of kids would see, and he knew that the witch would probably scare them, and he knew that showing kids who played the witch would ease their fears. And that's pretty cool.

I was the opposite. I think I was in love with her.

Then I read Wicked in my early 20s and now I know I'm in love with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom