• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| Jan 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMyers

Bram Stoker's Dracula (Francis Ford Coppola, 1992)

That was...uneven. The story was bloated but Coppola's visual flair, alongside the production values and the music, made it intriguing. Gary Oldman was amazing as Dracula, although we could have gotten someone better than Keanu Reeves.

I really enjoyed Coherence. It's very "indy, low budget sci-fi with lots of people talking in an attempt at realism with documentary/found footage style non-POV camerawork", but the whole surface level quantum science thing worked for me. Feels like the kind of movie that's begging for a bit more weirdness (and money) thrown at it to flesh out the concepts and
the dark zone
, but I still had a good time with it. Have to love when
Emily starts wandering from house to house
and, just for a moment, the movie feels like it transcends its budget.

Pachimari

Oh wow, hopefully we'll get some time to vote. I haven't even seen Foxcatcher, Birdman, Nightcrawler, Boyhood, Babadook, The Imitation Game, John Wick, Whiplash or Kingsman! And I thought I were catching up hehe.

kulapik

A round of existentialist movies I had to watch for finals (I gotta watch another 7 in the next 24 hours, I'm gonna die)

The Tree of Life (2011) - Terrence Malick

Blergh.

Silent Light (2007) - Carlos Reygadas.

Jesus christ, that was unbearable. Slowest movie ever. Plus,
an Ordet ripoff
. Where are they even? Mexico, France, Germany?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Silent Light (2007) - Carlos Reygadas.

Jesus christ, that was unbearable. Slowest movie ever. Plus,
an Ordet ripoff
. Where are they even? Mexico, France, Germany?

That movie is beautiful

Unfortunately I did not care for the last 5-minutes.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Movies of the year is going to be tough this time around. No nines or tens, a few eights, and like a million sevens. I mean do sevens belong on a best of list? Might just have to do top 5. A lot of my favorite stuff ends up being foreign but we don't get that shit until like September so what the fuck.

Movies of the year is going to be tough this time around. No nines or tens, a few eights, and like a million sevens. I mean do sevens belong on a best of list? Might just have to do top 5. A lot of my favorite stuff ends up being foreign but we don't get that shit until like September so what the fuck.

I ended up choosing some sevens for my list last year. I haven't seen nines or tens either. I think this year I'll choose like 3 or 5 movies.

Linius

In a year with Boyhood, Grand Budapest and Whiplash I can't say I haven't seen 9's or 10's. And I still need to see Birdman once it's out here.

UrbanRats

As usual i've seen too little to vote.

I'll say this year the biggest revelation for me (regarding movies) was discovering Johnnie To's work.
I'm still going through it, and (so far) enjoying all of it.
-
Also i was thinking how, despite how fucking bad that movie was, i think i like the Man of Steel theme more than Williams' classic Superman one.
Sort of random realization but whatever.

nooo way brah. no way. though I will say zimmer's soundtrack was pretty good for that movie. he does bombastic shit but it works for me.

lmao at viewtiful clowning himself like that. i hope he's not perma'd though.

Blader

I can't make fucking heads or tails of anything in that thread. What'd he do? And what the hell's a pop-off?

anyway, PTA putting you all on blast:

What do you think of the state of movies today? Do you feel like the complaints about American filmmaking being nothing but superhero movies . . .
Ah, that's such a fucking crock of shit. I can't remember a year in recent memory where there were less complaints about the quality of movies. And what's wrong with superhero movies, you know? I don't know. You're talking to someone that enjoys watching those films. People need to get a life if they're having that discussion [laughs]. Those movies get a bad rap.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/...-stoner-odyssey-inherent-vice-20150115?page=2

Timeaisis

Last 3 movies I've seen: A quick review

Inherent Vice: Disappointing. Slow as molasses pacing. Characters were really fun, though. I just wish PTA took some more creative liberties with the book to make it more film-y.
The Last Supper
gag was hilarious, as was Brolin's character.
I kind of wish PTA just took IV's character's, adapted the bat-shit plot of the book into his own thing, and went all out. Instead, he followed a little too closely to appeal to me.

Foxcatcher: Slow-burn, but kept me engaged. Made my top 10 by the great acting of Carrell and Ruffalo alone and the exciting climax.

The Hobbit: Dumb fun. The middle dragged. Needless filler.

UrbanRats

nooo way brah. no way. though I will say zimmer's soundtrack was pretty good for that movie. he does bombastic shit but it works for me.

lmao at viewtiful clowning himself like that. i hope he's not perma'd though.

Classic Superman's theme annoys me if i have to honest, i think MoS' has a good build up and gets across the idea of Superman very well, while maintaining the more serious tone of that movie.
I'm not a huge fan of either composer, and it's not a statement about them in general, just the two themes.

Pachimari

vv4ZhoN.jpg

I didn't know what to expect going into this movie. I just knew that Nicolas Winding Refn is the director, so I have been pretty stoked to watch Drive for a long time. I remember the first time I heard about it, I were expecting an action movie, but when my sister went to see it in the cinema some years ago, she told me there wasn't much shooting in it. Which is cream to my ears.

It's kind of a special movie. And with a slow pace with long shots and a fitting soundtrack. The plot is simple in some ways, yet it's captivating. The intro were perfect, and it were interesting seeing him getting caught up in this whole mobster deal, and seeing one of his drives going real wrong. The content were violent without being offending, and the family pretty likable. I especially wanted the best for the boy, which the main character also wanted.

Great film, dare I say fantastic.

I'm gonna watch Only God Forgives someday as well but my expectations for that one is much lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom