• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| July 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 films over 10 days each isn't as symmetrical as 4 days a week, but it's worth a shot. The Altmans I was thinking of were Nashville, 3 Women, and Secret Honor, though I could think of other directors.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
I was thoroughly entertained. Wow.

trance-2013-movie-poster.jpg

Between mxgt, kilgore and dragoon, it's a regular fedorafest in here

Fedora wearing hipsters watching hipster movies in a hipster thread where no one watches movies anymore cause they're hipsters. Shocking.

Koyaanisqatsi (1982): Beautiful/10

The Mask of Zorro (1998): Tons of fun/10

Mud (2013): Good stuff/10. Jess NIchols has a bright future ahead of him.

big ander

so suggestions so far: Jodorowsky, Enzo G. Castellari, K Kurosawa, Kiarostami, Altman. With Jodorowsky seeming the most popular of those.

"my" suggestion (quotations cause this wasn't my idea but people said it on twitter and I agreed): some noir or horror. something a little pulpier, easier to consume than say, 4 Fassbinder pictures. Then the prospect of having to watch 3-4 movies isn't as daunting.

suggestions within that:
-Richard Fleischer. I still haven't seen Soylent Green, dunno about the rest of you. and he has a handful of noirs on netflix dvd and on amazon vod (swoon rec's Trapped), and he has the original Conan. plus Amityville 3-D.
-Jacques Tourneur. Pretty sure everyone in here already loves Cat People. Not as sure about Out of the Past, but you all should love it. He has plenty that would be good to watch.
-Nicholas Ray. only seen Macao myself but between Bigger Than Life, Rebel Without a Cause, Johnny Guitar, been meaning to work through his films for a while.

so check those out, unless everyone's already set on Jodorowsky

UrbanRats

Stargate was on TV yesterday.
This was more shitty than i remembered in my nostalgia ridden mind, but it still worked as entertainment, as It was at least good to joke on while watching.
Also, i think i would've probably given it to RA.

Frankenstein's Army- holy shit, this has the most mental costume design ever. There's one zombie that looks like a Big Daddy from Bioshock with a plane engine/propeller on its face, I lost my shit

HoJu

rewatched Terrance Malick's Days of Heaven and I enjoyed it much more. I don't know what else to say other than Richard geere opening up how he thought his life was going to be to sam shepherd was sad and I think they are the same person or something. ****

Hugh Jackman was fun as wolverine in The Wolverine, and some some of the set pieces were hot. samurai fight showcased how wolverine is a sloppy fighter, which is true to the comics probably. weird reference to the graduate though. whole plot was blehbleh, villain was cheap and shit, snake lady tried and failed at acting. 5/10

Horrible Bosses 2/10 - Charlie Day only made me laugh like twice. something went horribly wrong with the making of this movie.

Watched Silver Linings Playbook and I award it 5.0 out of 10.

The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant - This woman was fucking nuts. WTF was the deal with Marlene? I really liked the shot when Petra was sitting behind Karin and they were leaning/facing opposite directions. Looked really awesome and it's not something you'd ever see today. Anyway, I enjoyed The American Soldier a lot more.

IT'S AT A FUNNY ANGLE.

Tyrone?

Saw The Wolverine last Thursday. Loved the first 2/3 of it, but that last 1/3.....I did not like.

Saw Only God Forgives yesterday. Some cool cinematography, good score, and then there's everything else. What the hell was this movie about?

Watched Take Shelter tonight. Pretty good. I liked that it dealt with a subject that isn't seen in too many movies, and the acting/score were good. Overall though I just thought it was solid, but not great.

Divius

I have yet to watch a single Fassbinder flick, even though it was my suggestion. Now I feel bad. I do have like 4 or 5 films of his so I will watch them eventually.

Drinking Buddies - Features the classic Will-they-or-won't-they + lots of beer + attractive cast + improvised dialogue. The improvisation is admirable and gives the entire movie a 'natural' feel, but also causes it to lack depth and it wasn't that great to begin with **½
Next - I'm a sucker for Philip K Dick concepts but there is only so much I can take. Cage is doing his thing which is always fun to watch, but the movie just gets silly beyond hope **
Shao Lin si AKA Shaolin Temple - Starts out slow, gets a tad confusing, ends with an awesome climax with tons of awesome fight-choreography ***
Prayers for Bobby - Mostly relies on Sigourney Weaver whose performance is pretty great **
Real Steel - After Pacific Rim I was in the mood for some more robot bashing and Kermode's review (30% PacRim talk / 70% Michael Bay ranting) mentioned Real Steel a few times so I decided to check that out, even though I avoided it during its release. It was a totally by the book tale, but that doesn't really matter since it all comes together nicely and it mostly works. I do with there was more Robot Boxing though ***

Stargate was on TV yesterday.
This was more shitty than i remembered in my nostalgia ridden mind, but it still worked as entertainment, as It was at least good to joke on while watching.
Also, i think i would've probably given it to RA.

yeah i have a feeling i'm going to have to adjust my criticker rating next time i see that movie. adore the concept though

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Tsai Ming-liang?

They let Pandas make movies now? GTFO.

Stoker: 7/10. I didn't know much about it going in so it took a while to figure out wtf it was trying to do, but it ended up being super cool. I liked all her cute outfits and shoes.
Tabu: 5/10. Great photography, but I didn't care much for the structure of someone telling a story for the majority of the movie. I was hoping for more of a movie and not a visual podcast.
Strange Wilderness: -1,000,000/10. Borgnine's in this but I couldn't even write a joke review this was so awful. It's literally nothing, there's nothing of value here. At least in most of his other bad movies there's at least something interesting going on with cheesy production or hammy acting, but this is just nothing. It's 80 minutes of lazy stoner comedy before they end with a scene from the gag reel. Like... not over the credits, the final scene of the movie is a normal scene but then everyone cracks up and the movie ends. Fuck you.

Also since it's the 31st no one may reply to this post, it is forbidden.

Only God Forgives - The worst film I've seen all year. For fuck's sake. 3/10, and that's only because it's so gorgeous...which is really the worst thing, because it's clear this movie isn't made by some incompetent Hollywood hacks.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I guess I got pretty lucky with Only God forgives, I could easily have gone the other way with it. Interesting that the complaints are either that its too obtuse or too blatant.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Saw Cloud Atlas last night.

It was very cool. Not as deep and philosophical as it wants to be tho. But it was very entertaining.

8 stars out of 10

OBLIVION : amazing picture quality, probably the best i've seen so far, movie itself was good, without the few probs here and there , it could have been a sci-fi milestone

So I have been on such a scifi binge these last weeks and I need more but I am running out of movies to watch that are any good. please recommend me some good Scifi. Also nothing that is only available in cinemas. Please don´t recommend the following films as I have already seen them:

Oblivion
Sunshine
Krull
event horizon
mission to mars
star wars " all films"
star trek" all films"
super man "all films"
iron man
xmen
spiderman
hulk