• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| July 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Master

I'm not sure how I felt about the ending sans awesome exchange between PSH and JP but the rest was really interesting.
It felt of the period. PTS is a master of camera work and lens qualities.

Amazing stuff.

yea i mean it's better than most of those movies in that list.

i didn't buy the blu-ray because it wasn't the DC, though i don't even remember the theatrical cut to know what the changes were.

There are, no joke, hundreds of changes.

The regular version is still pretty enjoyable, if you like naked space vampires.

The processing scene in The Master blew my mind.

Academy fucking robbed Phoenix blind.

that scene is so good i facepalm every time i see it, wondering how the fuck Joaquin didn't win. stellar performance all the way through... physicality, delivery, and presence to rival just about anything i've ever seen.

Is that so? I'm not really aware of the general opinion on this movie. The Imdb score suggests okay at least :p

most people here seem to enjoy it. i thought it was shot too conservatively, had a weak third act, and featured Jake Johnson/Aubrey Plaza playing Nick from New Girl/April Ludgate from Parks and Rec playing whatever his/her character's name was. the film did have some charming ideas and moments. i just didn't connect with it.

Ridley327

As am I, it seems. I was under the impression the blu was lacking. Perhaps that was an earlier release.

If the current one has both, I recommend it highly.

Yeah, I doubt Shout! Factory would drop the ball in that regard, especially with how well received their entire Scream! Factory line has been received. They're the Criterion of well-known cult films.

Trez

Neo Member
Red Cliff part 1 & 2 (the original Asian version)

It's noticable John Woo got back in shape for this film, because his trademarks are all over the place.

Some good battle scenes, and one very memorable character that I liked throughout the film. I recommend it if you'd like to see a mix between Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (almost dance like fights between the main characters) and the Last Samurai (as far as the brutality goes).

most people here seem to enjoy it. i thought it was shot too conservatively, had a weak third act, and featured Jake Johnson/Aubrey Plaza playing Nick from New Girl/April Ludgate from Parks and Rec playing whatever his/her character's name was. the film did have some charming ideas and moments. i just didn't connect with it.

I didn't like Safety Not Guaranteed at alllllll, because
the dude went insane with his quest to get his girlfriend back, but oh wait Aubrey Plaza showed up, forget all that I love her forever now instead.

Hated that.

It's be pretty hard to track down some of his movies. If we go Taiwan I believe Hou Hsiao-Hsien would be better.

Hou Hsiao-Hsien might be a little more accessible, but not by that much, at least for the majority of his filmography. Yeah, some of his earlier films did get R1 DVD releases, but I'm pretty sure they're out of print. Only last 4 or 5 films are available, though that would be alright by me considering Cafe Lumiere is of my favorite films of the 00's.

FnordChan

So I have been on such a scifi binge these last weeks and I need more but I am running out of movies to watch that are any good. please recommend me some good Scifi.

With thanks to Moria:

1984, 2001, The Abyss (Director's Cut), The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, Arcadia of my Youth, Alien, Aliens, Akira, Alien Nation, Altered States, The Andromeda Strain, the Back to the Future series, Barbarella, Blade Runner, A Boy and his Dog, Brazil, The Brood, Children of Men, Chronicles of Riddick, The City of Lost Children, A Clockwork Orange, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Dark City, Dark Star, The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951), The Dead Zone, Death Race 2000, Delicatessen, Destroy All Monsters, Doomsday, Dredd, Dune (1984), Enemy Mine, Escape From New York, Fahrenheit 451, Fantastic Voyage, The Fly (1986), Forbidden Planet, Galaxy Express 999, Galaxy Quest, Ghost in the Shell, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Godzilla (1954, in Japanese), The Handmaid's Tale, Hardware, Heavy Metal, Inception, The Incredibles, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956 and 1978), The Iron Giant, The Island of Lost Souls, It Came From Outer Space, It's Alive, La Jetee, Johnny Mnemonic, Jurassic Park, King Kong (1933), Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Lifeforce, Liquid Sky, Looper, Macross: Do You Remember Love?, Mad Max, Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior, Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome, Memories, Metropolis (1927 and 2001), Miracle Mile, Moon, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Night of the Comet, On The Beach, Paprika, Patlabor, Patlabor 2, Phantasm, Phantasm II, Pi, Piranha (1978), Pitch Black, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Planet of the Apes (1968), Predator, Predators, Punishment Park, The Quiet Earth, Rabid, Real Genius, Repo Man, Robocop, Robocop 2, Rollerball (1975), Roujin Z, Scanners, Shivers, Solaris (1972), Soylent Green, Starman, Summer Wars, The Terminator, Terminator 2, Them!, They Live, The Thing From Another World, THX 1138, The Time Machine (1960), The Truman Show, Twelve Monkeys, Videodrome, Village of the Damned (1960), WALL-E, War of the Worlds (1953), Westworld, The Wings of Honneamise, FnordChan.

Hou Hsiao-Hsien might be a little more accessible, but not by that much, at least for the majority of his filmography. Yeah, some of his earlier films did get R1 DVD releases, but I'm pretty sure they're out of print. Only last 4 or 5 films are available, though that would be alright by me considering Cafe Lumiere is of my favorite films of the 00's.

See that's the thing with Taiwanese films they are hard to find.

So Cafe Lumiere is good? I've been thinking about watching it.

Danielsan

Mud
A very enjoyable coming of age story. The two kids, Tye Sheridan especially, are amazing and Matthew McConaughey gives a great performance as well. The final act felt a bit sloppy, but overall it was a great ride. It's no Take Shelter, that's for sure, but still well worth a watch.

See that's the thing with Taiwanese films they are hard to find.

So Cafe Lumiere is good? I've been thinking about watching it.

Yeah it's good. It was a tribute to Ozu made on the 100th year of his birth, and it really does feel like a modern Ozu film, so if you're not into him you might not like it. It's a really understated observation of an ordinary person's life in 21st century Tokyo in all its isolation and waywardness, with an avoidance of melodrama or a snappy plot and instead a focus on portraying life at its natural pace.

With thanks to Moria:

1984, 2001, The Abyss (Director's Cut), The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, Arcadia of my Youth, Alien, Aliens, Akira, Alien Nation, Altered States, The Andromeda Strain, the Back to the Future series, Barbarella, Blade Runner, A Boy and his Dog, Brazil, The Brood, Children of Men, Chronicles of Riddick, The City of Lost Children, A Clockwork Orange, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Dark City, Dark Star, The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951), The Dead Zone, Death Race 2000, Delicatessen, Destroy All Monsters, Doomsday, Dredd, Dune (1984), Enemy Mine, Escape From New York, Fahrenheit 451, Fantastic Voyage, The Fly (1986), Forbidden Planet, Galaxy Express 999, Galaxy Quest, Ghost in the Shell, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Godzilla (1954, in Japanese), The Handmaid's Tale, Hardware, Heavy Metal, Inception, The Incredibles, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956 and 1978), The Iron Giant, The Island of Lost Souls, It Came From Outer Space, It's Alive, La Jetee, Johnny Mnemonic, Jurassic Park, King Kong (1933), Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Lifeforce, Liquid Sky, Looper, Macross: Do You Remember Love?, Mad Max, Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior, Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome, Memories, Metropolis (1927 and 2001), Miracle Mile, Moon, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Night of the Comet, On The Beach, Paprika, Patlabor, Patlabor 2, Phantasm, Phantasm II, Pi, Piranha (1978), Pitch Black, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Planet of the Apes (1968), Predator, Predators, Punishment Park, The Quiet Earth, Rabid, Real Genius, Repo Man, Robocop, Robocop 2, Rollerball (1975), Roujin Z, Scanners, Shivers, Solaris (1972), Soylent Green, Starman, Summer Wars, The Terminator, Terminator 2, Them!, They Live, The Thing From Another World, THX 1138, The Time Machine (1960), The Truman Show, Twelve Monkeys, Videodrome, Village of the Damned (1960), WALL-E, War of the Worlds (1953), Westworld, The Wings of Honneamise, FnordChan.

seen the majority of these films, but I guess I could try out mad max again, was a long time ago. thanks

I am in serious need of new Scifi films like sunshine,oblivion, gattaca. It makes me happy to see so many new Scifi films with big budgets being made these days, hope they make even more.

Thinking about watching my first Mizoguchi (still gotta watch Viridiana and The Phantom Carriage tonight). Osaka Elegy or something later?

For early Mizoguchi I would recommend Sisters of Gion. For later, Ugetsu or A Story From Chikamatsu. I think all of those films are a littler easier to get into than, say, Oharu or Sansho the Bailiff. And Street of Shame, while one of my favorites of Mizoguchi's--I think it's best seen once you have an understanding of Mizoguchi's style and his mastery of the one-scene, one-take approach which he really subverts in that, his last film.

Gattaca is awesome.

QUPhVrZ.jpg

Also Outland, Zardoz, Logan's Run, Dark Star, Silent Running, and Starcrash.

mxgt

Banned
Watched Mean Girls for about the 5th time, I still love it without shame.

Ugh, why'd you have to fuck yourself up Lindsay

Brinbe

Not sure if there's an OT for it, but went to see Fruitvale Station earlier today. Think it's my fav movie of the year alongside Before Midnight. It's just fucking good, go watch it.

Not sure if there's an OT for it, but went to see Fruitvale Station earlier today. Think it's my fav movie of the year alongside Before Midnight. It's just fucking good, go watch it.

Going to see it tomorrow. I actually think I just sold my father on seeing it.

Lucifer Rising - A pretty interesting watch. Felt like a 30 minute psychedelic prog rock music video, really. The soundtrack by Bobby Beausoleil is fucking fantastic. Other than that, I'm not sure what the hell was going on, but I'm interested in seeing more of Kenneth Anger's work.

Decado

Red Cliff part 1 & 2 (the original Asian version)

It's noticable John Woo got back in shape for this film, because his trademarks are all over the place.

Some good battle scenes, and one very memorable character that I liked throughout the film. I recommend it if you'd like to see a mix between Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (almost dance like fights between the main characters) and the Last Samurai (as far as the brutality goes).

Has anyone seen the north american cut? I watched the Asian version and thought it would have potential after being thoroughly cut. If it cuts the battle scenes, that's no good.

Saw Evil Dead 2013 last night. Eh acting, but the atmosphere and practical effects were great.

Watching Dead Man Down tonight. How's that as an action movie?

t-ramp

Watching Dead Man Down tonight. How's that as an action movie?
I'm interested as well. I watched the trailer the other day again (before Evil Dead, actually, IIRC), and was surprised I never heard much about it. Even if it's a mediocre film, I'm willing to give it a shot if it's competently shot and edited. Not too worried about story or pacing issues.

Gintamen

Man of Tai Chi: Since I've read a review calling it what it is before, I wasn't suprised by the mediocre performance and could enjoy a couple good fights. It wasn't exciting, but I wasn't excited to see it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom