• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| JULY 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it does. That's the Aaron Sorkin script-doctoring magic!

heh heh I think QT contributed to that script too, although its not as obviously as Crimson Tide.

The funniest thing about the production of The Rock to me is how late in the game that car chase sequence came up. It wasn't in any of the scripts, but Bay thought they had went too long without an action scene and he some money to blow, so boom. Its a totally pointless, super expensive 8 minute chase scene that doesn't develop any of the characters or further the plot, and neither the destruction of half the city, Sean Connery's daughter, or attempted escape are ever mentioned again! Completely superfluous Bayhem so the kids might not get too bored watching it.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I don't remember The Rock at all but I like the idea that there's a car chase in a movie about Alcatraz.

heh heh I think QT contributed to that script too, although its not as obviously as Crimson Tide.

The funniest thing about the production of The Rock to me is how late in the game that car chase sequence came up. It wasn't in any of the scripts, but Bay thought they had went too long without an action scene and he some money to blow, so boom. Its a totally pointless, super expensive 8 minute chase scene that doesn't develop any of the characters or further the plot, and neither the destruction of half the city, Sean Connery's daughter, or attempted escape are ever mentioned again! Completely superfluous Bayhem so the kids might not get too bored watching it.

makes sense. It's the most out of place, boring scene in the movie despite the intentions.

Blader

Boyhood
Forgot this in my last post. Movie of the year so far. More gushing here.

Only Lovers Left Alive
Kinda interesting but also kinda boring. Nice soundtrack though. I'm starting to get diminishing returns with Jarmusch films.

The Hot Rock
Solid, breezy caper flick. Not much more to it than that, but it was fun enough.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Oh man, did they actually Carpenter up the sequel like I thought the first should've been? Might watch

Yeaaaa, it definitely felt Carpenter-esque.

It seems as though they took the criticism of most of the characters being dumbasses and utterly forgettable in the first film to heart and rectified it. The people rolling with Punisher felt pretty genuine and they were cool to watch.

They could have done more with one of the main antagonistic elements, but I'm not mad where that storyline went.

Heavy handed as the fuck, but I guess that doesn't matter, considering that people still think Starship Troopers is praising everything about the military.

I need that prequel about the New Founding Father's.

Spinluck

I saw Dawn of The Planet of The Apes last night and really enjoyed.

The film has a few moments in the plot that are a bit too convenient just to move the plot along but I can gloss over those moments with the overall quality of the film. Unless I am remembering this wrong, I enjoyed Franco as a lead more than most of the humans in this film. The human scenes felt weaker in this movie, and there is a scene with Ceasar towards the end that showed me why I liked the first one better in that regard. This one being on a larger scale and much different direction had a lot to do with it though. Hard to fit enough stuff to make you care or feel compelled by the human characters.

Holy hell did Andy Serkis do an amazing job here. This movie is definitely an example of performance capture and CG done right. I am pretty sure that the apes out preformed the human characters too. Impressive stuff.

Divius

Ten minutes pass while I am trying to decide what unseen movie from my backlog I want to watch tonight when a ray of sunlight bounces from the door into the room and I see something shimmering in the corner of my eye. I turn and it's the Alien boxset.

I'm watching Alien again.

After having seen bits and pieces of The Tree of Life over the past couple of years, I finally sat down and watched the whole thing. Pretty much everything before the last twenty minutes or so is incredible, particularly the 1950s childhood sequence that makes up the bulk of the movie. But damn, that ending was kind of wack. Felt it went on too long. Also Jessica Chastain's character is possibly my favorite movie mom ever. Anyway, damn good, but not Days of Heaven good.

Braveheart was alright. Could see why it was a big deal then, but it felt pretty standard. 6/10

The Cabin in the Woods was very entertaining. Felt like if my friends didn't tell me much about it, I would have enjoyed it more, but it still was great. 8/10

SOME-MIST

The Zero Theorem message of the movie seemed also to be a bit behind the times.

how is the message a bit behind the times?

I only ask because I feel like the film directly applies to the current issue(s) with corporate control, the wage slave mindset, and a proper work/life balance. granted, I've only worked a few corporate jobs as HR in my life-time (currently working at one but it actually allows me enough time to post on here :p), but most of what happens in the film actually directly applies to the management mindset in a current corporate work environment.

for example, early on in the movie Qohen tries to convince Joby that he would be more productive at home - the commute is a waste of time when the entity crunchers could be working within that time frame. he even proves that he's productive when his presents the project he completed at home overnight. Joby states that you don't question management as he hides from the camera which monitors Qohen's work.

Even when he's allowed to work from home, "management" requires that they monitor his work via camera to ensure that he stays productive and on track. There's a lack of privacy even despite the outrageous output of work than Qohen can produce.

When he breaks down due to stress and his hypochondriac state, they even try to provide him an incentive to stay on track which is when they introduce Bainsley. The plan unfortunately backfires when Qohen wants to run away with Bainsley. He realizes that life outside of his workspace can be much more enjoyable than slaving over his entity crunching hardware. She also ensures that he remains productive (since she's technically hired by the company) and when he finds out that management set everything up... it all falls apart.

The dirtbags even went as far to provide the highest incentive (his "call") to ensure he remains an obedient worker for his entire life. which once revealed, Qohen realizes he has wasted his life working as a wage slave.

it's crazy how much it can apply to some of my previous jobs and a lot of the jobs of those whom I interact with on a daily basis.

the false notion that management is alright with you working from home. time tracking which is a complete waste of time when you can remain productive in a work place without spending 1/6th of your day tracking what you do. the idea of a work/life balance that completely favors the workplace - i.e. still having to work an insane amount of over-time, even when not at work...companies always having the ability to connect with you via a company cell phone, incentives/perks to try to make your mind off of the painful amount of overtime you have to work, etc..

Are you just referring to the religious/atheistic themes of the movie?

UrbanRats

Outrage and Outrage 2 by kitano. What the hell happened to Takeshi, these two sucked big cojones

I have only seen the first one when it came out here some time ago.

Talk about having nothing to say man, it was kind of painful to go through.
I'll still watch the second eventually, though, just out of curiosity.

ЯAW

Banned
Outrage and Outrage 2 by kitano. What the hell happened to Takeshi, these two sucked big cojones
Yeah, I guess they were ok-ish if you just expected some asian crime action, but even then it pales to it's Korean rivalries. For a Kitano film, these were pure trash. I miss 90s Kitano, it's always sad to see such great director make these empty cash grabs. Or maybe he just likes to make cheesy Yakuza films.

Any way. I watched Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. I had saw it in theater before but I didn't care for it all that much, don't know why. But this time it really hit me, such great crime drama and that cast. Ethan Hawke needs better agent or some thing. Dude is such a great actor yet he too often stars in some really crummy movies.

SOME-MIST

ЯAW;122466763 said:
Any way. I watched Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. I had saw it in theater before but I didn't care for it all that much, don't know why. But this time it really hit me, such great crime drama and that cast. Ethan Hawke needs better agent or some thing. Dude is such a great actor yet he too often stars in some really crummy movies.

reminds me that I need to rewatch it. didn't get to see it in theaters but saw it for the first time a few years ago and loved it. definitely has some twists and turns that I didn't expect on first viewing... and then of course, PSH.

ЯAW

Banned
reminds me that I need to rewatch it. didn't get to see it in theaters but saw it for the first time a few years ago and loved it. definitely has some twists and turns that I didn't expect on first viewing... and then of course, PSH.
The movie really took twist towards the end. I didn't really buy
PSH's characters breakdown, he went completly off the rails. I know every man has a breaking point but dam.
Also, I had no idea Marisa Tomei had starred in so many good movies in last ten years.

Rewatched Assault on Precinct 13 the other night.

Fuck, that movie is awesome. Definitely in the upper echelon of Carpenter's movies. It's just sheer badassery, from the amazing theme, and the slow build pacing that erupts in spectacular violence, to every word that comes out of this guys mouth:
6NapoleonWilson.gif

It's basically Night of the Living Dead, but with crooks replacing zombies, a police station replacing a farm house, and a whole lot of swagger replacing the horror.

Now I want to rewatch some more Carpenter stuff, starting with his absolute best movie:
The Thing

how is the message a bit behind the times?

I only ask because I feel like the film directly applies to the current issue(s) with corporate control, the wage slave mindset, and a proper work/life balance. granted, I've only worked a few corporate jobs as HR in my life-time (currently working at one but it actually allows me enough time to post on here :p), but most of what happens in the film actually directly applies to the management mindset in a current corporate work environment.

For me these are issues that have been ongoing for almost 15 years of my working life. I'm a corporate whore but I only play the part, I don't have the mindset, but I wasn't really blown away by Gilliam's revelations on the issue or maybe I missed them. I think Office Space did this better 15 years ago ;)

Are you just referring to the religious/atheistic themes of the movie?

No those themes are timeless in my opinion, even if they weren't all that interesting here. But the "people being disconnected by extensive technology" theme is a bit tired I would say.

I watched L'armée des ombres, my second Melville after Le Samuraï and it was hypnotic... amazingly restrained with great scenes of pure unspoken tension and despair, just an amazing film really. So glad I got this box set of his work.

Also watched Majid Majidi's Children of Heaven, a small Iranian realism movie about ordinary life, amazing how such a small scaled movie can have such epic scenes
(the running competition at the end)

daffy

Banned
Bully is probably one of the worst mockumentaries I've seen in awhile. One girl brings a gun on a fucking school bus because the kids called her "stupid and dumb". And then I have to sit through a violin solo from her mom about her 44 pending felonies that we all know aren't going to stick. You can't lock your gun box but you can convince the audience bullying is a crime. Gtfo

And then the glasses kid gets a fist shoveled into his back on a school bus (during one of the few times that the camera remains in focus during the film) for the sake of reenactment that literally accomplishes nothing except to showcase that schoolbuses are warzones apparently. Why was he sitting in the fucking aisle in front of the bully that constantly bullies him? Who knows. Lee Hirsch didn't think it important enough to say.

I also saw Maidentrip and enjoyed it a whole lot. Laura Dekker is an inspiration. I thought it captured the essence of documentary actually. One of the best I've seen.

Atouba

Saw yesterday the Guardians of the Galaxy Preview.
Just AWESOME! Great characters and awesome humor. The whole cinema was laughing most the time. Not a big marvel fan until now. Think it was the first Marvel Movie I’ve seen, but I will definitely catch up the latest movies!

The Borderlands (2013) - Got this recommendation from the "recent horror movies" topic. A British horror movie about a Vatican investigation into a supposed miracle in a rural church. Very pleasantly surprised. I'd seen the trailer for it a long time ago but nothing since then. It ended up being quite spooky and unsettling. The ending could have used maybe a bit more punch but overall a good horror film.

Sightseers - Another British film I just stumbled upon on Netflix. A black comedy about a couple on a nice road trip that ends up going sour in several dark ways. Not an absolute riot but I certainly laughed heartily at several points. Terrific performances by the 2 mains playing pretty horrid characters. I also really loved the soundtrack.

The Grand Budapest Hotel

I had a fairly enjoyable time with this. It's actually my second Wes Anderson film, the first being Rushmore which I didn't connect with too much. The treatment of Saoirse Ronan's character (and women in general) rubbed me a little the wrong way. It's a film very focused on the perspective of men and I certainly don't think Wes Anderson was unaware of this. The Author certainly had no interest
in Swinton's character after finding out that she was the original owner of the hotel. Which you think he would be, but that could be some subtle commentary.
The young girl that bookends the film could also have some significance, even though she has minimal characterization other than looking like a feminine version of the protagonist from Rushmore. Other than the last few lines from Abraham's character, I don't think there is any particularly strong commentary here. On second thought, in terms of racial issues the
two incidents with the police could have some significance. Fiennes' character doesn't respect Revolori's character's wishes during either scene and it ends up being his downfall.

Sightseers - Another British film I just stumbled upon on Netflix. A black comedy about a couple on a nice road trip that ends up going sour in several dark ways. Not an absolute riot but I certainly laughed heartily at several points. Terrific performances by the 2 mains playing pretty horrid characters. I also really loved the soundtrack.

I just saw this as well, and I really liked it. Really hilarious in the blackest way possible. If you liked it I would recommend Kill List, which is also on Netflix. It's also directed by Ben Wheatley, and while it's not a comedy in the slightest, it definitely shares some similarities. It's also terrifying.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
The Raid 2 . Interesting looking fight choreography but not much else. Can't really recommend.

The Master. So entertaining but ultimately disappointing. The ending came out of nowhere. Didn't work for me.

Grand Budapest Hotel. Great story, funny moments, very entertaining. Liked this a lot.

Under My Skin. Fucking loved it. Beach scene was amazing. More People need to see this.

The Shining. I had never actually finished. I now understand. Movie is a masterpiece.

I'm on a good streak here. These last three movies are exceptional. They are visually entertaining, with excellent dialogue and a good story that is better because of the visuals.

I need to find something on Netflix tonight. Otherwise the wife and I will watch 2001. I fear it's too serious for Friday fare.

SOME-MIST

For me these are issues that have been ongoing for almost 15 years of my working life. I'm a corporate whore but I only play the part, I don't have the mindset, but I wasn't really blown away by Gilliam's revelations on the issue or maybe I missed them. I think Office Space did this better 15 years ago ;)

touche - though I guess 15 years in time still seems pretty relevant to me.

You see it as a dated concept that has been covered before, but it still directly applies to the workplace and our culture today. Sure the notion that your career is your life well surpasses that of office space and the 20th century, but with the continuing rise in advanced technology we're starting to see new privacy issues (i.e. some that are just being dealt with such as the supreme court ruling last month that requires a warrant to search a detainee's cellphone) and new ways for corporations to control their workers. corporate influence on society and government is still a highly relevant subject unless you wrote everything off after the whole occupy wall street movement in 2011 like a bunch of other people.

TZT is about a dystopian future in which corporations completely rule society even to the point that marketing campaigns directly aimed at individuals (*cough* advanced adwords *cough*) are being shoved down your throat the moment you leave your doorstep. It's hard not to empathize with Qohen being a shut-in seeing as the outside world in his setting is outrageously noisy and polluted. I don't think that the Office Space and TZT comparison is very apt since both films go in a completely different direction, but I get what you're saying.

If you couldn't tell I really enjoyed the film.. and I definitely don't consider it "childish shit".

I just saw this as well, and I really liked it. Really hilarious in the blackest way possible. If you liked it I would recommend Kill List, which is also on Netflix. It's also directed by Ben Wheatley, and while it's not a comedy in the slightest, it definitely shares some similarities. It's also terrifying.

Yeah I watched that quite recently and totally didn't know it was by the same guy. Loved it as well. 2 movies at two separate ends of the dark scale and both good haha

If you couldn't tell I really enjoyed the film.. and I definitely don't consider it "childish shit".

Didn't mean to offend, I say a lot of crap like that but I don't mean no harm.

It was just that it felt to me like a less mature and less thought out (and cheaper) version of Brazil in the visual (and also thematic) department, and I think the acting (Waltz excluded) was pretty sub par. It's like the better movie already was made; by the same director.

SOME-MIST

Didn't mean to offend, I say a lot of crap like that but I don't mean no harm.

It was just that it felt to me like a less mature and less thought out (and cheaper) version of Brazil in the visual (and also thematic) department, and I think the acting (Waltz excluded) was pretty sub par. It's like the better movie already was made; by the same director.

none taken :p it just bugged me is all.
It's definitely the weakest of the three dystopian films and I prefer Brazil as well. But at least we can agree that Waltz was pretty great in his role. The only actor/actress that really bugged the crap out of me is Bob's character played by Lucas Hedges, which is admittedly where I felt the film took a pretty boring turn (I think about 40 minutes in? just a guess).

and I might've been reaching too far/deep with my take on the movie, but I feel like that's what you have to do with Gilliam films to make 'em enjoyable.

---

anyway, going to see Mood Indigo at the Gene Siskel Film Center tonight even though I own it on blu-ray
and next up on the home viewing list depending on how I feel:
locke, mesrine, rust and bone, manic, the squid and the whale

pretty excited to watch all of the above.

anyway, going to see Mood Indigo at the Gene Siskel Film Center tonight even though I own it on blu-ray
and next up on the home viewing list depending on how I feel:
locke, mesrine, rust and bone, manic, the squid and the whale

pretty excited to watch all of the above.

I hated Mood Indigo too, that should get you double psyched to watch it right :D

The two Mesrine movies and The Squid and the Whale are some of my alltime favorites tho.

What the heck, might as well. No extras but dat cover.

That is awesome. Like they though 'what would kurisu1974 like' and then just went and designed it.

UrbanRats

I sure do love me some Giallos! I will put it on my list. Thanks for the quick reply.

I guess i should qualify that by saying that it doesn't exactly follow the more thriller structure of a Giallo, but to me it captured very well the texture and feelings of them, on a deeper level.
That could be because i watched most of these movies at a young age though, so i experienced them less on a structural level and more on a impressionable one.
But things like fabrics (the classic leather gloves for example) colors and such, are a very important part of the genre, for that reason, and Amer does play into that dimension.
YMMV.

--
Angst - This film would work well with laugh tracks.
I have to guess that the unreliable narrator nature of it extends beyond the voice over, into the actual events shown on screen, as it is the only explanation to some of the weird shit we see on screen (like the
girl trying lick his face
for some reason) i don't know, for me it oscillated a lot between interesting and silly.
I like how they make the character go on a long explanation of his life and various childhood traumas, though; at first i thought it was a pathetic attempt to search for a connection or some sympathy from the audience, but then it transform into more of a rationalization and delusion of the character itself, i thought that was nice.

What the heck, might as well. No extras but dat cover.

The real one is even better. Fucking prudes and nsfw laws...

They even made a fumetti!

qnM2uTx.png

But I hear the movie itself is not so good...

Speaking of, does anyone here know if Amer is worth the watch?

For this alone (I'm not putting the actual scene in order not to spoil anything, just the 2 awesomest minutes of italian film music).

The movie they took this track from ('La polizia chiede aiuto' aka 'The Police Want Help' aka 'The Coed Murders' aka 'What Have They Done to Your Daughters?' is also a very good giallo).

A Most Wanted Man

It was a bad idea to have donuts 30 mins before seeing this movie. My eyes were barely open when I was in the theater. What a terrible way to see PSH's last movie. I plan to redeem myself in a few days

Under the Skin

I started out kind of liking this but I find myself getting more and more soured on it as I think about it. At the very least
the sexual assault was trite. Oh look, the once powerful predator is now the prey. Gag me.
There's nuance here so I'm not going to write it off as sexist tripe or anything, because some online have found a feminist message that isn't without merit. But I don't think the film is all that feminist on a surface level or rather how it effectively works.

To get away from the negative, it does have some powerful scenes like
the incident at the beach and the abduction sequences.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I saw Boyhood today. I don't know; maybe my expectations were too high.

I felt like the massive scope of the plot really hurt every other facet of the film. It kind of just felt like major life moment after major life moment, and it came across as so cookie cutter; like a beginner's exercise in screenplay development. A lot of the dialogue was also extremely cringeworthy, as were some of the performances (especially that of the stepfather).

It was a really cool experiment and a great achievement, but not a good movie. If the same narrative was played out with various actors of different ages, or if it was animated, it would be a very poor film.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
This is a stretch. I need help remembering the name of a movie. It was some gritty cop movie that couldn't be more than 5-7 years old. All I remember was the end, the 2 cops got information on the whereabouts if a missing kid from a fat white bald drug dealer. They go in with shotguns, dude gets blown away then they go upstairs and just find a creepy creepy dirty old man and who isn't all there, and then the kid I think was dead. But they had been to the house earlier but didn't have a warrant or something. I know it's vague but it's been driving me crazy. I thought it was narc. It was not.

big ander

I saw Boyhood today. I don't know; maybe my expectations were too high.

I felt like the massive scope of the plot really hurt every other facet of the film. It kind of just felt like major life moment after major life moment, and it came across as so cookie cutter; like a beginner's exercise in screenplay development. A lot of the dialogue was also extremely cringeworthy, as were some of the performances (especially that of the stepfather).

It was a really cool experiment and a great achievement, but not a good movie. If the same narrative was played out with various actors of different ages, or if it was animated, it would be a very poor film.

hmm. it really felt like major life moment after major life moment? Because I can't see how it is that...at all. it like, intentionally dodges major life moments. gigantic breakups and pairings and graduations and decisions happen off screen. time's spent on hanging out with a friend's older brother or driving to a place or swimming or going to a baseball game. all for different opinions but you're...kinda factually wrong? On that and on it being a beginner's exercise in screenplay development, because nearly every choice Boyhood makes on a script level is against anything traditional screenwriting guides would dictate doing. Like how the film completely doesn't hold your hand in letting you know what year it is, not even through stylized transitions. Or in how friends will show up and be buddy-buddy even though the viewer's really never seen them (or how they'll disappear and never be brought back). this is entirely the opposite of "beginner's screenwriting".

The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears

npobLDL.jpg

If you're into psychosexual body horror, psychedelic music, paranoia of apartment buildings, eyes, blades, leather, and audiovisual feasts, I would highly recommend this movie. Unforgiving yet serene. Might not understand the ending, but a great ride of imaginative filmmaking.

This is a stretch. I need help remembering the name of a movie. It was some gritty cop movie that couldn't be more than 5-7 years old. All I remember was the end, the 2 cops got information on the whereabouts if a missing kid from a fat white bald drug dealer. They go in with shotguns, dude gets blown away then they go upstairs and just find a creepy creepy dirty old man and who isn't all there, and then the kid I think was dead. But they had been to the house earlier but didn't have a warrant or something. I know it's vague but it's been driving me crazy. I thought it was narc. It was not.

gone baby gone?

dorkimoe

Gold Member
gone baby gone?
I thought that too. But didn't that end a different way?
I don't think the baby was ever with some fat woman and a meth head who was like wearing a diaper or something.

Ugh I can picture it all but can't even think of the actors.

Edit wait. That might be it. I'll pop the dvd in and look. I already loved that movie anyway. So if that's it, I just remembered I love it more

UrbanRats

ibypbv5IAvZlR2.jpg

If you're into psychosexual body horror, psychedelic music, paranoia of apartment buildings, eyes, blades, leather, and audiovisual feasts, I would highly recommend this movie. Unforgiving yet serene. Might not understand the ending, but a great ride of imaginative filmmaking.

I don't care about the bad impressions this got man, i'm gonna watch it anyway.

ibypbv5IAvZlR2.jpg

Oh man. I forgot about this movie. I need to see this as soon as possible.

Anyway, forget that shit. One of my favorite films and spaghetti westerns, The Big Gundown, finally got a Bluray US release in December! And I only just found out about it! It apparently comes with a CD with the Ennio Morricone score on it.

According to DVDTalk it's great quality, had great extras, and comes with a 22 page booklet much like a Criterion release.

It's also the source of the music used during the Bear Jew introduction scene in Inglorious Basterds. I highly recommend it.

I really hope this release sticks around, as I wanted a great US release for years, and never thought one would ever come around. And this release seems to be tailored just for me. I'm so happy I'm almost in tears.

Here's a trailer for the release. And the intro for the movie.

SOME-MIST

I hated Mood Indigo too, that should get you double psyched to watch it right :D

The two Mesrine movies and The Squid and the Whale are some of my alltime favorites tho.

just ruining my day haha
I had already seen it and just wanted to see it in theaters (plus I hadn't been to the gene siskel film center). sat next to some pretty cute babes that only spoke french haha

mesrine was recommended to me because I'm a huge fan of a prophet and the beat that my heart skipped. seeing as they're your favorite.. I'm kind of intrigued. and admittedly the only two noah baumbach films I've seen directed by him so far are greenberg and kicking and screaming so I have no idea what to expect.

Blader

Oh shit, The Big Gundown is getting a bluray release? Best spaghetti western not directed by Leone. Such an awesome flick, the only downside is that if you want to watch the full cut, you miss out on Van Cleef's voice (though his Italian dubber is pretty good iirc).

Ridley327

Without going too deep into spoilers, A Most Wanted Man definitely has a more sobering impact than it would have if Phillip Seymour Hoffman hadn't died prior to its release. While it's definitely not going to be accused of holding hands for people not willing to invest some of their attention in trying to decipher the story, it does run into the problem that if you do manage to "get ahead" of the film, it loses a good deal of tension and the result is a bit like watching someone build up a fantastic-looking domino set and then you figure out the shape it's going to be taking, leaving you waiting a while to see what's now a foregone conclusion. This is especially a big problem for a story like this, when there's really not a ton of characterization going on beyond the principles, so you find yourself wanting something more to latch onto if you were like me and "got ahead." All that being said, the lack of real characters doesn't stop everyone from acting up a storm, with routinely great performances all around, and while it's not nearly as flashy as director Anton Corbijn's work has been, his low-key take on Hamburg still feels distinct, thanks to excellent framing and good use of unique locales. It's a solid film, for sure, but one that edges enough to greatness that you feel quite a bit of disappointment that it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom