• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| JULY 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apdiddy

The Frozen Ground - Interesting movie and I would love to see how Scott Walker's next film will look. Nicholas Cage is great as always and Vanessa Hudgens would be a great Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver. Wait, no she wouldn't, perish the thought.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Just saw this and anything with Andy Serkis is insta-watch IMO. Gary Oldman seemed to have forgotten he's not Commissioner Gordon. I may have The Last Of Us on the brain, but it looked very similar to TLOU as well.

The Frozen Ground - Interesting movie and I would love to see how Scott Walker's next film will look. Nicholas Cage is great as always and Vanessa Hudgens would be a great Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver. Wait, no she wouldn't, perish the thought.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Just saw this and anything with Andy Serkis is insta-watch IMO. Gary Oldman seemed to have forgotten he's not Commissioner Gordon. I may have The Last Of Us on the brain, but it looked very similar to TLOU as well.

You mean Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. The Dawn comes after the Rise.

Purge: Anarchy

"No heroes."

Had never seen the first so had no idea what to expect other than some positive reviews. Was surprised to find the cinema nearly packed and mostly youngers.

There is definitely some Carpenter here. I thought it was good, and worth seeing. There is some "captain obvious" level of dialogue and the characters aren't that worth investing about but they're believable enough. Frank Grillo aka The Punisher is cool to follow as the leader of the ragtag group trying to survive the 12 hour purge through night-time LA.Jade Raymond and Shane are definitely the weak links, but even they have a likeable moment
when they're shooting bacl
. I would have liked it to be a bit longer, so to have more character development and focus on the power structures of how it all works (maybe first movie explains it?). I really liked when it goes full-on satirical with the
rich country club hunting grounds
, almost cartoonish dystopia feeling. There is race and class warfare present, and my favourite part was the tunnels
when you see people hiding
which reminded me of the Sewer people in Colombia
who are just poor people targeted by death squads

It's not to the level of Dredd where I love nearly all of it, but it has interesting ideas and subtext. If nothing else, the mask gang are awesome looking especially this design.
465c1fb2c6d52e47ef6d27852a99823c.jpg

oni_saru

"No heroes."

Had never seen the first so had no idea what to expect other than some positive reviews...

Anarchy sets up more in term of how the world works. First one not so much.

They show more how the poor are the targets versus the first film which very briefly covers it.

I loved Anarchy because it set up the world perfectly.

I wouldn't mind a third film with
more of the anti-Purge crew freedom fighting!

First purge was okay/slightly disappointing. Anarchy was great from start to finish. Worth the hype i had for it.

megamerican

A Most Wanted Man didn't do much for me. It's cold and detached and languidly paced. Hoffman gives a great burned out performance that is eerie given the the circumstances. The majority of the other characters are no more than plot devices. The film doesn't really pick up until the last 20 minutes, and has an ending that most people will see coming from the get go. It's not necessarily even a bad movie, just not what it could have been.

Ridley327

Manhunter is a damn gem. If it wasn't for the unintentionally hilarious soundtrack cues (except THAT one, and you know which one it is if you've seen it), I'm tempted to say it's dramatically better than The Silence of the Lambs.

Linklater has just swooped on my favorite contempary director status. After watching the Before Trilogy, Slacker, and Boyhood in the last year, while also knowing that I love School of Rock, damn. Dazed and Confused is next.

Anarchy sets up more in term of how the world works. First one not so much.

They show more how the poor are the targets versus the first film which very briefly covers it.

I loved Anarchy because it set up the world perfectly.

I wouldn't mind a third film with
more of the anti-Purge crew freedom fighting!

First purge was okay/slightly disappointing. Anarchy was great from start to finish. Worth the hype i had for it.

So, looks like I shouldn't bother checking out the first. Hope a sequel delves more into what Anarchy set up. I really liked the music in the credits splash titles.

"No heroes."

Had never seen the first so had no idea what to expect other than some positive reviews. Was surprised to find the cinema nearly packed and mostly youngers.

There is definitely some Carpenter here. I thought it was good, and worth seeing.

You got my attention

StuBurns

Banned
Other than Boyhood, there's still one Linklater film I've never seen, subUrbia. Still hoping it gets released in some form I can get at some point.

StuBurns

Banned
Plow's not a good film, by any stretch, but it is pretty interesting.

There's almost no dialogue at all, which is obviously strange given what he did later. It's notable for having an appearance of Daniel Johnston though. For Linklater geeks it's probably most cool because Before Sunrise was inspired by a night Linklater spent in a train station hanging out with a girl, and you briefly see it in the film.

Not that you asked me lol, but I'd rank it just behind Sunset myself, ahead of Midnight and Sunrise.

Damn bro that sounds real good

Also first two mission impossibles are the only ones worth watching. And the first is the only good movie

And mad max gonna slay 2015. Coolest looking blockbuster in years

Edit: doves make everything more badass. I literally got up out of my seat (no I didn't) when cruise walked past that flaming door and gave them the sexbomb death stare. Cruise's finest moment

swoon

I haven't seen subUrbia or It's Impossible to Learn to Plow by Reading Books. The latter's in full on youtube and the former's on vod in some places but I'm in no insane hurry for either. I also want to see Inning by Inning.

i really wonder what it's like to see suburbia now, without (presumably) the weight of the play and the surrounding films of its decade as context.

so i guess you guys should do that.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Not sure if it was the right time to watch it considering what's happening in my personal life right now but Happiness was pretty damn good, love it's ironic and almost satirical use of music and you can DRAW some interesting analysis about the nature of class and social status, reflected in how despite the characters level of privilege they are unable to find any sense of happiness.

Kind of want to watch it again despite the disturbing awkwardness of it at all.

StuBurns

Banned
i really wonder what it's like to see suburbia now, without (presumably) the weight of the play and the surrounding films of its decade as context.

so i guess you guys should do that.
I've been waiting for a DVD/BRD release for like ten years at this point, I've given it ample chance, and I'll pick it up as and when they put it out, but for now I shall acquire it otherwise and report back.

It's a really gross butchering of John Woo's signature style, made all the more terrible that it was John Woo behind the camera.

It's mostly the last 2 "arm swinging around" shots that makes it dumb. it would've been fine if they took out those instant replays.

It's like the editor asked Woo which shots he wanted to use and he said "All of them."

oni_saru

So, looks like I shouldn't bother checking out the first. Hope a sequel delves more into what Anarchy set up. I really liked the music in the credits splash titles.

Yeah. The main characters in the first one are pretty dumb and you'll spend most of the time frustrated watching what they do/don't do.

I liked that Anarchy had 3 sets of characters you followed. First one only had the family.

UrbanRats

It's mostly the last 2 "arm swinging around" shots that makes it dumb. it would've been fine if they took out those instant replays.

It's like the editor asked Woo which shots his wanted to use and he said "All of them."

Lol they were probably a bit too happy about their choreography there.

~Kinggi~

Banned
The Raid 2

well aint that some fucking shit. I felt all dirty watching it, like i was watching real Indonesians die in the making of this film or something.

It was really something else. What a resume to end the movie with 'Written, Edited and Directed' by for Gareth.

The edited/directed credits he should be proud of

Story is the same tired ass Asian gangster plot tho.

Why hasn't Hollywood snatched the young god up yet

~Kinggi~

Banned

You think he would even want Hollywood? He couldnt make a movie like this in Hollywood. I feel like this was only made cause they threw caution to the wind a bit. No way people werent injured in this.

You think he would even want Hollywood? He couldnt make a movie like this in Hollywood. I feel like this was only made cause they threw caution to the wind a bit. No way people werent injured in this.

I remember him talking in an interview about the whole reason for him shooting in Indonesia was because he couldn't do stunts like that in the U.S or Europe.

Also moviegaf, I'm in a scifi mood as of lately. Is Repo-Men and Last Days on Mars worth watching? I've been meaning to scratch them off my list.

24 Exposures was a strange little Joe Swanberg movie, not sure what the idea was, it looked like the mumblecore version of a late night erotic cop show on TV. Probably the worst I've seen of his.

Post Tenebra Lux is... yeah what is it? A series of random scenes featuring some of the least interesting and annoying characters I've seen in a long time, filmed through what looked liked the bottom of a beer bottle. Visually interesting for 10 minutes, thematically completely bancrupt. Also I wouldn't want to be a dog in this guy's universe. Avoid unless you're morbidly curious.

Kapringen was not bad, maybe a bit too glossy and easy, and it loses some of its momentum in the last half, but there's some good drama here with the hostage negotiations and the survival on board. It's like the anti-Captain Philips.

UrbanRats

After all the overwritten action movies China has be putting out lately, i don't know if we should shrug off a nice lean story, however simple.

After all the overwritten action movies China has be putting out lately, i don't know if we should shrug off a nice lean story, however simple.

I didn't like the story at all, simple yet farfetched, too many parties that were just cardboard representations, and assassins that seemed escaped from Miike movies. I liked the first one, this one got old pretty fast, I loved the one track mind and focus of the first one, that was the strongpoint there. Here I don't have too much to recommend, except "some fighting scenes were awesome"... too bad it lacked everything else.

UrbanRats

I didn't like the story at all, simple yet farfetched, too many parties that were just cardboard representations, and assassins that seemed escaped from Miike movies. I liked the first one, this one got old pretty fast, I loved the one track mind and focus of the first one, that was the strongpoint there. Here I don't have too much to recommend, except "some fighting scenes were awesome"... too bad it lacked everything else.

Like that's a bad thing?

It builds on the sympathies of the first movie, being a sequel, but it didn't try to push some weird agenda or moral point down your throat like many action movies i've seen, it adhered to its crime plot that made sense, while taking as little screentime as possible.

The first one was even simpler and leaner, but the film lacked variety, as an action film, which Raid 2 delivers on, without getting lost in its own plot.

Like that's a bad thing?.

Well it didn't feel very original, and the characters were even more one dimensional than in Miike's movies.

The first one was even simpler and leaner, but the film lacked variety, as an action film, which Raid 2 delivers on, without getting lost in its own plot.

Raid 2 felt much longer to me, by the time the "epic kitchen fight" started I was numbed and stopped caring.

UrbanRats

Well it didn't feel very original, and the characters were even more one dimensional than in Miike's movies.

Raid 2 felt much longer to me, by the time the "epic kitchen fight" started I was numbed and stopped caring.
I don't think that's a problem with the script too much.
I think they should've shortened a bit some fights, to remove the desensitization some felt (though for most people this wasn't even a problem, so...)
As for the wacky enemies, i think that's something more MA films should have and use, so no complaining there from me.

I don't think anything in The Raid 2 screams originality, as much it screamed incredible craft, in building an MA movie that is varied, packs a punch and doesn't waste your time too much.

It just occurred to me that I kind of want to see Evans and Refn team up. A film with a narrative like Only God Forgives's with the action of The Raid 2.

StuBurns

Banned
SubUrbia

Initially I was a little disappointed. The first half hour positions itself to be kind of a Dazed & Confused 2. It's not unusual for a Linklater film to be an ensemble cast and take place in a suburban environment over a single night, but even though people tend to think some of his films are 'samey', I think they're all very distinct really, and I was beginning to feel like this was the first of his films that really felt redundant. As the film builds, it becomes clear it's a much smaller cast and for the most part a single story, unlike Dazed. Ultimately it felt very much like a companion piece. Dazed has a hopeful, inspiring outlook, and it takes place in a pivotal moment in many of the character's lives, it's a transformative night, and while lots of notable things happen in SubUrbia, no one comes away any different, it's an extremely dark film by comparison.

During the first half I couldn't understand why Linklater would choose to direct an adaptation of what felt like it was going to be so derivative of his own work, but I think it ended up being the ultimate fuck you to the 'Generation X' box he'd been placed in at the time.

He's made dark films, Tape obviously, Sunset in a way, but this film is dark without giving the audience a hope for the characters, or even culture it depicts. It's not his best film certainly, but it holds a distinct place within his career, and it's certainly well worth watching for any Linklater fan.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I got it from iTunes, and it lists it as a comedy. That is some misleading bullshit.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
so I needed to brush off that bad taste after Outrage 1 and 2, and wanted a proper Kitano, but wasn't in the modd for Hana-Bi or Violent Cop, and watched Getting Any?
it's got to be one of the most hilarious, wackiest Japanese movies ever. Beat Takeshi in full swing, recommended if you like wacky Japanese humour

I mean, it has scenes like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39ujNHBVxlI

UrbanRats

so I needed to brush off that bad taste after Outrage 1 and 2, and wanted a proper Kitano, but wasn't in the modd for Hana-Bi or Violent Cop, and watched Getting Any?
it's got to be one of the most hilarious, wackiest Japanese movies ever. Beat Takeshi in full swing, recommended if you like wacky Japanese humour

I mean, it has scenes like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39ujNHBVxlI

Getting Any? Is really hit and miss with people (i like it, personally) for its naive comedy; for feel-good Kitano movies, i usually put A scene at the Sea among my top 10 movie of all time.
I just love that movie deeply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom