• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| July 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akahige

Hot Rod (2007) - Grossly underrated comedy, I didn't stop laughing through nearly the entire film. I saw it years ago but I didn't remember it being this funny, hard movie to recommend though, it very bizzare and reminds me of Napoleon Dynamite (Which a lot of people hate) style humor mixed with slapstick.

inki

I just watched "The Lost Boys"... Loved every minute of it.. (Seen it many times before). Been watching more doc's than movies recently though.

Rented on Amazon. The listing says its from Criterion but I actually don't remember seeing the Criterion logo at the beginning? Maybe I just missed it.

The transfer didn't seem that great to me, if that's why you're wondering, a bit muddied -- but it looks like it was just an upconversion from a DVD. My streaming connection is usually pretty good but could have also played a part too.

Yeah, that's why I was wondering. I saw the bd and the Criterion DVD and the difference was huge. It's a lot darker and washed out. The Criterion version looks really nice.

IronRinn

Watched Hard to Be a God last night. Man, I don't even know what to say. I liked it, I think, but...man. And I know every single review has mentioned it, but it is seriously the filthiest fucking movie I've ever seen. Everything and everyone is plastered in mud and shit and no one can go five minutes without expelling some sort of bodily fluid. It's like a case study in dirt and grime. On top of that it's so claustrophobic. Every interior shot is packed so full of people that it seems like the camera can barely move, and all the time people and objects are right in front of the camera, blocking its field of vision. It was like watching a nightmare.

Broadway Danny Rose

One of the better Woody Allen films, say top 10ish. Short and sweet, shot in beautiful B&W. Thought it was really cool that Allen cast an actual lounge singer for the part of Lou.

Not in a bad way, just... It's kind of a hard film for me to write about (and I'm not that great at writing about them in the first place). The performances were great and the fact that it was pretty much a one man show was outstanding. Seeing his life fall apart so quickly and how he reacts to it all in one environment is really interesting to watch. The "interaction" with his father also gives a huge look into the character and was a really good way of letting us know what he feels about everything happening.

I guess it's easy to write about but not in depth, but that's because I'm not that great at writing. Or analysing film. But I did really like it.

how many alts does Snowey have? And now Icarus can't even ban with no mod powers.

What's this war at the heart of nature? Why does nature vie with itself?

I have eyes on every screen, fingers on every keyboard. You can't escape me.

Lmao, what? (I need to give Shame a rewatch though. Do people consider it McQueen's best? I've only seen them both once, but 12 Years left a much bigger impression on me.)

"12 Years a Slave" is great, but it is, in some respects, the more conventional work. "Shame" is more singular, has fewer parts that can be argued as weak, and has more dramatic complexity and heft.

"There's a 2 minute unbroken shot of a man jogging accompanied by classical piano music, that's how you know its art" - actual quote inside Shame DVD box sleeve

Shame is great. I'm not an alt account as far as I know either.

Hunger >Shame>12 years

All 3 are A+ legit awesome fucking movies tho

Watched Hard to Be a God last night. Man, I don't even know what to say. I liked it, I think, but...man. And I know every single review has mentioned it, but it is seriously the filthiest fucking movie I've ever seen. Everything and everyone is plastered in mud and shit and no one can go five minutes without expelling some sort of bodily fluid. It's like a case study in dirt and grime. On top of that it's so claustrophobic. Every interior shot is packed so full of people that it seems like the camera can barely move, and all the time people and objects are right in front of the camera, blocking its field of vision. It was like watching a nightmare.

More people watching Hard To Be A God and getting this reaction. Loving it. It's like that scene in Valhalla Rising where a dude smears the other in the mud extended to a whole movie. My reaction was similar:
hard-to-be-a-god-001.jpg

Hard To Be A God

Possibly the most putrid and nihilistic movie world I've been immersed in. Shocking news, russian film is bleak and unrelenting with no hope for anything better. So much mucky muck. Mud, body waste like human shit, bird poop, spit, piss, vomit, decaying bodies, hanging bodies, and there's even a lair of hanging entrails where characters converse like it's completely ordinary. The peasants seem to relish on richer people's shit, painting it over their face as if they're getting blessed. Because of how depressing it all is, some intense dark comedy comes about such as when a kid (kids are thieves who often scour through dead bodies for valuables) picks on one body and entrails fall out with humorous timing.
It's so filthy.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Not in a bad way, just... It's kind of a hard film for me to write about (and I'm not that great at writing about them in the first place). The performances were great and the fact that it was pretty much a one man show was outstanding. Seeing his life fall apart so quickly and how he reacts to it all in one environment is really interesting to watch. The "interaction" with his father also gives a huge look into the character and was a really good way of letting us know what he feels about everything happening.

I guess it's easy to write about but not in depth, but that's because I'm not that great at writing. Or analysing film. But I did really like it.

you've written a good analysis, actually. Love that you liked it much, I was just bracing myself for a slamming because damn, Locke is one of my faves in recent years

Arnie7

Banned
Inside Out
Incredibly disappointing. After so many glowing reviews I had hyped myself too much over this. The idea with the emotions is a clever one but not enough to sustain the entire film in it. My biggest complaint however is how predictable it was. Everything from the journey and story beats you could see a mile off away and were boarding on clichéd.

I actually think the short volcanoes movie at the start stole the show and was better than the entire film. Overall I don't want to sound too negative as while not a masterpiece it is a decent film.

Video games taking up my whole life... only watched 2 movies "recently"...

Why Don't You Play In Hell? - Fuck Bombers! Pretty funny satire. I've only previously seen Suicide Club way back when I was in high school (so.. 10 years ago? or so) and wasn't all that hot on that film (needs a rewatch) but this was completely over the top fun. Great characters and a climax to behold. 7/10

The Magician - It's good but there's something about early Bergman that's completely hit or miss with me. I loved The Virgin Spring but pretty much every other late 50s-early 60s haven't really stuck with me as I feel like they should. This film shifts in tone quite a bit throughout which kind of threw me off a bit. Maybe late 60s and 70s Bergman may resonate a bit more with me since the same thing happened with a friend of mine. Still good. 6/10

Seeing Southpaw tomorrow. I have a feeling it's gonna suck. I hope not.

I'll ignore VJC's attempt to bait me further and express my happiness that people are watching Harakiri. What a film.

I actually think "Samurai Rebellion" could be argued as a near-equal, so check that one out as well, if you haven't.

Yeah the primitive films of the 1960s certainly aren't up to the standards of our civilized cinema today. Some of them didn't even have any color, it's barbaric. How's a movie even supposed to hold my interest if it only has black and white to look at???

Thanks, prophet o doom I'll check Samurai Rebellion out for sure.

Currygan

so, did a double feature of Outrage/Outrage 2 yesterday. What the fuck happened to Kitano, they were so, so bad

UrbanRats

so, did a double feature of Outrage/Outrage 2 yesterday. What the fuck happened to Kitano, they were so, so bad

Those movies were like some shitty unfinished Google algorithm, was tasked with recreating the stereotypical Kitano yakuza movie, but it crashed halfway through.

It's funny especially since i watched Outrage after seeing Takeshis', which sort of makes fun of all his Yakuza movie shenanigans.
It felt particularly hollow then.

Ridley327

Is Tetsuya Nakadai in literally every samurai movie ever

He's at least in every other one that Toho put out. Probably.

That's fine, though, since he's usually pretty damn great. Speaking off...

-I'll get into it right away: good god almighty, The Sword of Doom is one gorgeous film. Director Kihachi Okamoto and his cinematographer pore all their ability into every shot of the film, and it pays off handsomely with a film that is simply breathtaking to look at from beginning to end, filled with stunning widescreen compositions and expert tracks and pans as well as being a vital storytelling tool, ensuring that its beauty isn't merely skin deep. With how well made the fights are, it could almost pass as a thrilling piece of entertainment if it wasn't for the encroaching and suffocating darkness that consumes our subject (played with by a convincingly sociopathic Tatsuya Nakadai) as he finds himself looking for any excuse he can to cut people down. The story is well-told, too, with the sweep of three years being nicely counteracted by focusing on a smaller cast of characters who all have their own ties to Ryunosuke's path of destruction and ruin. As I read afterward, this was intended to be the first part of a trilogy that never came to be, but it's hard not to believe that there wasn't some degree of finality inherent to the material, as the ending feels less like a cruel ellipsis than a blood-soaked exclamation point that sees only one real outcome that we don't need to be present for. Absolutely terrific from start to finish.

-After kicking off this week with Sword of the Beast, I turned back the clock a year to Hideo Gosha's first film in Three Outlaw Samurai. There's a lot to admire here, as Gosha already had a pretty good grasp on his strengths in staging fights as well as his excellent ability to shoot outdoors. I've also been a fan of Tetsuro Tamba since his swagger threatened to steal You Only Live Twice from everyone involved, so it was nice to see him in a heroic role after the decidedly unheroic one he played in Harakiri earlier this week, and he brings a nice presence of a quiet, knowing confidence in his ability and his resolve. Where the film falls apart for me is that it's simply going too fast and doesn't have the runtime to resolve everything satisfactorily, so it winds up barreling past a lot of the finer details that would have led to the bigger changes feeling more resonant and important, which is disappointing as the film doesn't start out pressed for time in such a manner. Character allegiances shift without much elaboration, including what unfortunately feels like a Hail Mary play with the film's dark ending. Taken as it is, I feel like it's more than entertaining enough to watch, with a more-than-capable presence behind the camera and a good cast in front of it, but it's hard to shake the feeling that it could have been even better.

xrnzaaas

As Above, So Below - It was pretty good. Kinda like a mix of Descent, an Indiana Jones (and the Philisopher's Stone ;)) movie and a found footage flick with increasing number of mindfucks. Only the scares were pretty light and predictable.

Ouija - Going in, I knew it wasn't very good, so I went in with low expectations. As a result, I didn't hate it, but I'd never call it good. As it ramps towards its ending, things get pretty silly/stupid overall. It had some nice eye candy, too, in Olivia Cooke, her 'sister' and friend.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Just finished Chappie. I enjoyed it a lot! It ended up being more fun than thoughtful, but it was still really good imo. Strange how the ending was
like District 9 just a little happier maybe.
Still waiting on Blomkamp's Halo.

Currygan

Those movies were like some shitty unfinished Google algorithm, was tasked with recreating the stereotypical Kitano yakuza movie, but it crashed halfway through.

It's funny especially since i watched Outrage after seeing Takeshis', which sort of makes fun of all his Yakuza movie shenanigans.
It felt particularly hollow then.

they really look deliberately lifeless. You could tell Kitano hated working on them, which is even more baffling considering his - not infallible though - pedigree

big ander

I missed a Malick rating cycle:
Tree of Life > Days of Heaven > Thin Red Line > The New World > Badlands > To the Wonder
excited to get Knight of Cups and probably fka Weightless next year. I'm resuming to doubt Voyage of Time will actually come out.
The Tribe:
Bahaha perfect review.
The Wonders

Saw this at Curzon Bloomsbury. Really liked it. Had a quiet elegance to it. Family of beekeepers faces financial struggles, so the daughter signs up for a competition that will pick the best farm, basically Farm's Got Talent. Dad is very traditional and distrusts anyone not from farms. The triangle of father/daughter/new boy was a bit predictable, where father gets a bit jealous when his overprotective relationship is threatened. Some genius panning shots, like two people sleeping in a cave and when the camera pans above they're dancing (not just shadows) but as it pans down they're still sleeping.

Worth watching just for the main girl Maria Alexandra Lungu's performance.

First time I've seen Monica Bellucci in a non-english film. She was alright, played the role of a TV presenter for that reality competition.

Penultimate panning shot was a real hit to the gut. Life is tough, man.
Huh, sounds interesting. on the watchlist.
R100 (2013) - Not sure how to describe it, the plot line for the movie doesn't really scratch the surface of it and tells you the entire film because of how utterly aimless it is, it's like a series of strange vignette's about the same thing and few different things put together. Oddest fucking thing I've seen in quite some time, I rarely laughed but I wasn't bored for a second so I will give it that. Matsumoto seems to make damn strange films.
I hated this movie, so moronically pseudo-weird, like Quentin Dupieux at his very worst. I did have a fun time with Matsumoto's Symbol however. Far more cartoony and surreal and funny.
I really liked A Separation but is there any other middle eastern movies out there ppl could reccommend (no cartoons tho plz)
Like CFK said, Farhadi's earlier movie (which was only just released in the US a couple months ago), About Elly, is great. His latest The Past was purportedly pretty good as well.
I only know Iranian cinema at all, but there are some stellar/acclaimed directors/movies from there:
—Abbas Kiarostami: Certified Copy is fantastic but sort of Kiarostami transitioning to an nation-less international art house style, so for something more representative of Iranian cinema's blend of allegory and poetic documentary-realism I'd start with Close-Up. which is kinda a masterpiece
—Children of Paradise. sort of cutesy but still dramatically sound.
—Jafar Panahi: I haven't seen any of his actually, but he's had international acclaim in recent years for This Is Not a Film, Closed Curtain and Taxi. Believe his 90s works are loved as well.
—Mohsen Makhmalbaf: same as above in that I haven't seen any. A Moment of Innocence is regularly labeled a classic. His daughter is a writer/director of note too.
—The Cow. I've only seen 20 minutes of it in a class (don't recall why we didn't simply watch the entirety)
Wet Hot American Summer
Never heard of this before and was weary of it, looks like a "...Movie" movie.
But since I trust Netflix I gave it a shot.

I was flabbergasted. It was fantastic.
It's disheartening that Seltzer/Friedberg have caused people to forget how funny a ZAZ or Brooks-style spoof can be. WHAS is hysterical, They Came Together is less incredible but well worth a watch or two. (Wain's other films, like Wanderlust and Role Models, aren't all-out insane and rapid-fire with the jokes—they're traditional narrative comedies. Wanderlust is a decent time.)
The above-mentioned Hot Rod also fits into this I think. MacGruber too. Lord & Miller films on the fringes.
Incredibly disappointing. After so many glowing reviews I had hyped myself too much over this. The idea with the emotions is a clever one but not enough to sustain the entire film in it. My biggest complaint however is how predictable it was. Everything from the journey and story beats you could see a mile off away and were boarding on clichéd.

I actually think the short volcanoes movie at the start stole the show and was better than the entire film. Overall I don't want to sound too negative as while not a masterpiece it is a decent film.

Oof I can comprehend not liking Inside Out, as I thought it was just nice—I just couldn't escape the feeling that so much of it was clunkily worked backwards to from the personified-emotions gimmick—but thinking Lava was better, let alone good? You're in a minuscule camp there, hah. That song was painful, the concept vapid and ludicrous and self-parodic, the animation was ugly.
Video games taking up my whole life... only watched 2 movies "recently"...

Why Don't You Play In Hell? - Fuck Bombers! Pretty funny satire. I've only previously seen Suicide Club way back when I was in high school (so.. 10 years ago? or so) and wasn't all that hot on that film (needs a rewatch) but this was completely over the top fun. Great characters and a climax to behold. 7/10
I realized this week that Why Don't You Play In Hell?'s final shot was my favorite final shot of 2014. Awesome movie. wish Tokyo Tribe had been as good. Sono has something like 4-6 movies coming out this year, he's a psycho.

Currygan

didn't know Blue is the Warmest Colour is 3h 07m, well it seems tonight's settled then. Can't wait

already in love with Adèle Exarchopoulos, such kissable lips omg

adele-exarchopoulos-e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom