• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| June 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigorath

Banned
PTA rankings?

1. There Will Be Blood
2. Boogie Nights
3. Punch-Drunk Love
4. Magnolia
5. The Master
6. Hard Eight
7. Inherent Vice

Inherent Vice is the only one I don't care for.

TheFlow

Banned
fuck it I saw Neighbors 2 and it was the funniest film I've seen this year.

Everything was great while also making the sorority feel fleshed out.

5/5

Tmnt 2 or nice guys will be my next watch

TMNT 2 really surprised me in being what I wanted from a Turtles movie. Had some issues, but yeah compared to Batman v Superman, no contest in TMNT2 teabags it.
4/5

Popstar oh boy, where do I start? I like the songs and some select scenes. However, it relied way too much on crude humor and it is a 90 minute Beiber joke. Some points hit hard (pancakes) and other was ehhhh (way too many cameos). Would have been better if not 100% documentary.
3/5

lordxar

Event Horizon hit Netflix again just in time. Except this time I don't think it held up as well as it should. Cool movie but the cgi is bad bad bad.

-Stranger-

The Boy and the Beast

the-boy-and-the-beast.jpg

Fluid and vivid animation that really is quite striking.
A heartfelt story which i found quite engaging.
Mamoru Hosoda has another winner here, can't wait to see what he does next.

4/5

phoenixyz

I've seen London Has Fallen and absolutely loved it. It's like 80% straight action and great one. The final assault on terrorist base was just jaw dropping. This is easily one of the best action movies I've seen in recent years. And enormous improvement over first entry in franchise.

So I was pretty shocked to see how much it got trashed by critics. I guess they didn't like muslim terrorists being the bad guys and movie never making any effort to show them as anything that monsters worthy of slaughter? Meh. They made for good bad guys and seeing them killed brutally by Butler was satysfing.

Hope they will do another sequel.

I've also seen it. After a movie I always write my thoughts down in a little book and I think the only positive thing I had to say about "London Has Fallen" was "Not as terrible as Taken 3".
The story, dialogue and characters are all mind-numbingly stupid. Straight out of an 80s B-Action-Flick. Most of the action scenes are overedited and riddled with terrible CGI. And all the pathos and 'Murica-patriotism are just laughable.

element

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - I actually quite like it. Don't understand the hate.
A-Team - Stupid, but fun.
Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation - Rare series where it actually gets better.
The Count of Monte Cristo - Sadly this movie has not aged well.
The Finest Hour - This was just a bad movie. Not very interesting. Didn't care about the characters. Casey Affleck mailed it in.
London Has Fallen - Actually wasn't that bad. Nothing to win awards, but for a blow shit up movie, I was entertained.
Animal House - I watch this after watching National Lampoon: Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead and learning about Douglas Kenney. It is a classic.

T Dollarz

PTA rankings, keeping in mind that these are all at least a 9/10 for me:

1. Boogie Nights
2. Magnolia
3. There Will Be Blood
4. The Master
5. Punch Drunk Love
6. Inherent Vice

Auctopus

I'd seen it before but a cinema chain in the UK is running a "Ghibli Forever" season which is providing the rare chance to see the films on the big screen.

Went to see Kiki's Delivery Service and it was such a great experience (despite a few... Japan Enthusiasts in the audience). Film was much longer than I'd remembered but was still a lot of fun.

I've got tickets to Princess Mononoke too and might get tickets for Wind Also Rises if I'm back from holiday in time.

1. Inherent Vice
2. There Will Be Blood
3. The Master
3. Magnolia
4. Boogie Nights
6. Punch Drunk Love
7. Junun
8. Hard Eight

His worst film is better than the best from most directors though.

Saw The Nice Guys the other day and enjoyed it quite a bit. It was better than I expected. Crowe and Gosling were both great, and Angourie Rice was outstanding as Gosling's daughter. Really funny and surprisingly good action as well.

On the other hand, I thought Neighbors 2 was pretty terrible. But it's at 63% on RT, so maybe I'm missing something.

I'm going to bite the bullet and see Xmen this weekend. Wish me luck, GAF.
I am going to try as well.

Edit: Good to hear The Boy and the Beast being good. Next week it comes out on BR!
Edit 2: In terms of PTA have not seen much but I really did like Punch Drunk Love. Very underrated movie.

On the other hand, I thought Neighbors 2 was pretty terrible. But it's at 63% on RT, so maybe I'm missing something.
I loathed the original and I think it was 70% on RT when it came out. Pretty much confirms I do not agree with critics with adult comedies.

Smidget

There Will Be Blood
Boogie Nights
Magnolia
The Master
Punch Drunk Love
Hard Eight
Inherent Vice

Although I'll admit, I need to watch Punch Drunk Love and Hard Eight more recently to rank them properly. I just didn't like Inherent Vice at all :/

Gaf, go watch "All The Way." Bryan Cranston is great. I you don't know its an HBO movie about LBJ during his first year in office after Kennedy was shot, and his fight for civil rights.
character-spot-lbj-856829-7_PRO1-512.jpg

I guess I started a PTA discussion. I haven't seen Magnolia, Punch Drunk Love, or Hard Eight, so I guess I should get to those at some point. Admittedly if his older films are more Boogie Nights and less There Will Be Blood I'll probably enjoy them.

Also I really enjoyed Neighbors 2, but I like most movies Seth Rogen does. It isn't a great film, but Efron and Chloe Moretz are fun and Rose Byrne is the real MVP.

Theaters around me finally picked up The Lobster so instead of TMNT this weekend I think I'll see that instead.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
1. Inherent Vice
2. There Will Be Blood
3. The Master
3. Magnolia
4. Boogie Nights
6. Punch Drunk Love
7. Junun
8. Hard Eight

His worst film is better than the best from most directors though.

Crazy Inherent Vice love there.

Yamabro

Banned
1. Inherent Vice
2. Punch Drunk Love
3. There Will Be Blood
4. Boogie Nights
5. Magnolia
6. Hard Eight

The Master sucks.

Arnie7

Banned
PTA:

1. The Master
2. There will be Blood
3. Punch Drunk Love
4. Boogie Nights
5. Inherent Vice

Dislike Magnolia. Oh and if anyone is interested check out this crazy interesting theory about how punch drunk love might be secretly a Superman film: http://youtu.be/2untlg3bFmk

Crazy Inherent Vice love there.

It's the one film from him where every scene is perfect. It's also by far his funniest, yet it has such a fantastic underlying dramatic tone. Everytime I turn it on to watch a few minutes, I end up sitting there for 2.5 hours.

phoenixyz

Oh, a list. I love lists.

1. Boogie Nights
2. The Master
3. There Will Be Blood
4. Punch-Drunk Love
5. Inherent Vice
6. Magnolia

Blader

Boogie Nights, Magnolia, and There Will Be Blood are all masterpieces and I have no idea how to choose between the three. Maybe Boogie Nights is my favorite; there's never any part where I think something is unnecessary or annoying.

Junun is a fun little doc. Music was great.

The Master and Hard Eight are ok. I was a little disappointed with the former and don't remember much about the latter, so I'd say these are middle of the road PTA for me.

Inherent Vice was a confusing, frustrating disappointment. I hated Punch Drunk Love.

So maybe my ranking ends up as something like this, with the first three being basically even:

1. Boogie Nights
2. Magnolia
3. There Will Be Blood
4. Junun
5. The Master
6. Hard Eight
7. Inherent Vice
8. Punch-Drunk Love

Niggas in the PTA/DDL thread going in on the scenery chewing in TTBB, thinking that's a DDL thing. Nigga, that's a PTA thing. I think he finds the biggest, broadest fuckin' take possible and puts that in. Magnolia in particular has some of the most inconceivable patches of overacting I've seen in my damn life. With that constant soundtrack, its like a 3 hour torrent of hysterics.

"WHAT'S...WRONG! YOU SUCK MY DICK!

lordxar

Niggas in the PTA/DDL thread going in on the scenery chewing in TTBB, thinking that's a DDL thing. Nigga, that's a PTA thing. I think he finds the biggest, broadest fuckin' take possible and puts that in. Magnolia in particular has some of the most inconceivable patches of overacting I've seen in my damn life. With that constant soundtrack, its like a 3 hour torrent of hysterics.

The only proper response:

https://youtu.be/7Dt5Nf7ct5c

lordxar

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin. This was pretty incredible. There's a huge training montage that wasn't a montage like 80's movies had. This felt more like a part of the journey where something from the 80's made those parts feel different. I hated to see it end actually. The last few battles were worth it but the training part was definitely the high point.

Blader

Julianne Moore's insufferable character is what keeps Magnolia from being my #1.

now you must REALLY shut the fuck up now *please* shut the fuck up

like she did like four different line readings in one line of dialog, thats kinda amazing

daydream

Banned
Queen of Earth: Fearless, ugly, beautiful - 'Queen of Earth' is as elegant as it is complex, as numbing as it is trenchant, masterfully shot and composed, with a great tonal sense for both moderation and exaggeration. A film of intensities and a brilliant portrayal of the destructive coalescence of psychological opacity and emotional clarity.

Without a doubt one of the few substantial contemporary works that will (hopefully) remain.

Toothless

The Martian is a fairly enjoyable blockbuster. Taking cues from Apollo 13 but applying it to a fictional story hasn't been done before, and ultimately, the traditional structure works for the film. Matt Damon is excellent as Mark Watney, and his performance grounds the movie in a truly excellent way. Sadly, Ridley Scott's direction is not nearly as inspired as Damon's performance, being a throwback picture in the sense that little evolution of filmmaking style has affected Scott. Outside of a montage set to David Bowie's "Starman," the film is content with looking and sounding average, despite potential to be more. The Martian is fun, disposable entertainment, elevated by a strong central performance, but overall, fails to really stand out among other films of its genre.

Magnificent Seven

Rewatched this and Seven Samurai about a week or 2 ago. Surprised at how many plot beats they took from Seven Samurai, including the young cocky gunman who ends up following them to the village.

This has a more charismatic ensemble (Brynner, Mcqueen, Bronson..god damn) and better action than Seven Samurai, but the latter had a lot more substance and political/social commentary to it. Also Magnificent Seven goes with a more hollywood ending to it's love story while Kurosawa chose to end it with realism.

Still I found it pretty damn fun, great soundtrack too.

The Do-Over

Aiight I actually kind of enjoyed Blended with Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore (though that's because I really like these two together in movies) and That's My Boy. So I thought I had a decent tolerance for modern Sandler movies. This was a pile of shit though. Fuck them for making it and to hell with me for sitting through it.

anyways RIP to the God Muhammad Ali. Gonna watch Mann's Ali and When We were Kings over the weekend. Always thought the montage at the opening was one of the best biopic scenes ever. How they concisely show the racial tensions at the time that Ali takes in as a kid and his early career and training as Cassius Clay.

and of course this incredible ending:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGFr0JCqxb4

The Wailing

This was one hell of a good movie. Na Hong-jin once again manages to impress me with this directon and the cinematography was fantastic here.

What makes this movie for me is that the various characters here are more or less likeable. They feel like normal people and so when tragedy and horror begins to settle into the village one can't help but to hope for the best. Kwak Do‑won's character, a bit of a bumbling and easily frightened cop, is what made me like the story so much. Watching him change throughout the movie was a marvel to watch.

And that ending. God damn. Normally, I would love to rewatch a movie this good but I can only watch horror films only once.

The Fits

The Fits is like Rocky meets Bring It On if it was a physical horror film through the eyes of a kid. Perhaps slightly too thin, yet its meticulous direction and sound design, as well as its authentic acting and sense of place, will win one over.

Ridley327

Deadpool: Stupid as hell with a good heart, so pretty damn accurate to the source material! I really enjoyed the chemistry between Ryan Reynolds and Morena Baccarin, though; there were times where I honestly preferred this film as a romantic comedy over the action-comedy it largely is just because of how well both of them played off of each other.

We Are Still Here: A potentially intriguing mix of haunted house tropes with a dose of Lovecraftian undertones that is sadly undone by trading in the atmosphere and dread for increasingly gory special effects and a rather rushed and half-assed mythos that never gels together for any antagonistic party present. There is a more interesting film in here that would have stayed focused on our heroes (for their part, both Barbara Crampton and Andrew Sensenig make for a believable couple dealing with some profound grief) and kept things in the dark a lot longer than it does, figuratively and literally. It all feels very underdeveloped by the end, leaving behind a smattering of solid ideas and visual concepts among the bloody remains to try and sift through.

The Wailing

This was one hell of a good movie. Na Hong-jin once again manages to impress me with this directon and the cinematography was fantastic here.

What makes this movie for me is that the various characters here are more or less likeable. They feel like normal people and so when tragedy and horror begins to settle into the village one can't help but to hope for the best. Kwak Do‑won's character, a bit of a bumbling and easily frightened cop, is what made me like the story so much. Watching him change throughout the movie was a marvel to watch.

And that ending. God damn. Normally, I would love to rewatch a movie this good but I can only watch horror films only once.

Really excited to see this. I like The Chaser quite a bit and I hear this is better.

gamz

Deadpool: Stupid as hell with a good heart, so pretty damn accurate to the source material! I really enjoyed the chemistry between Ryan Reynolds and Morena Baccarin, though; there were times where I honestly preferred this film as a romantic comedy over the action-comedy it largely is just because of how well both of them played off of each other.

We Are Still Here: A potentially intriguing mix of haunted house tropes with a dose of Lovecraftian undertones that is sadly undone by trading in the atmosphere and dread for increasingly gory special effects and a rather rushed and half-assed mythos that never gels together for any antagonistic party present. There is a more interesting film in here that would have stayed focused on our heroes (for their part, both Barbara Crampton and Andrew Sensenig make for a believable couple dealing with some profound grief) and kept things in the dark a lot longer than it does, figuratively and literally. It all feels very underdeveloped by the end, leaving behind a smattering of solid ideas and visual concepts among the bloody remains to try and sift through.

Right? One of the rare SH movies that I didn't even care about the action. Let me have more of them.

Two Palm D'Or winners:

Blue is the Warmest Color - been wanting to watch this forever since it made a big buzz when it came out, but I was putting it aside partly due to its 3-hour running time I guess. I shouldn't have. It does not feel that long at all, and you quickly become fascinated with the characters and the "realness" of the whole film. It's a great coming of age queer film about exploring one's sexuality, love and relationships. Lea Seydoux and Adele were mesmerizing. Their chemistry made even the lengthy sex scenes help in portraying the realism and passion of the relationship, rather than coming off awkward or unintentionally funny.

9/10

Dheepan - Last year's winner, from the director of A Prophet (Jacques Audiard). The story is about three Sri Lankan strangers who manage to flee to France and live together as a family in a dangerous gang-controlled neighborhood. I think most of the criticism for this movie would be directed at the third act, and understandably so. Personally, I didn't mind it and I guess the case can be made that
once Dheepan is shot in the car and the screen becomes hazy for a second, he actually dies and everything we see from that point is dream/not real?
. I did enjoy the drama around the three characters and how beautiful the film looks. However, I just didn't love it as much as I thought I would...it felt like it was lacking that extra "something" to make it great. It is a good film, with the high points being the acting (from those unknown/first time actors) and the great camera work, and I do recommend it if your a fan of world cinema.

8/10

Trivia: French actor Sandor Funtek appears in both movies. He's so good [looking] in Blue..
tumblr_n9z46cC1931qg4blro2_500.gif

No u.

PTA ranking:

Boogie Nights
There Will be Blood
Punch Drunk Love
Magnolia

....I like all those a lot and don't know if my order is perfect.

The Master (is awful)

Last night my friend put on The 5th Wave. It wasn't very good and ended poorly and abruptly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom