• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| June 2017

swoon

I'm afraid It Comes At Night will be one of those It Follows / The Babadook movies; Something that's totally fine but being hailed as the second coming of christ just because it's something that doesn't suck for once.

Pretty much the case with every above average movie these days.

UrbanRats

I'm afraid It Comes At Night will be one of those It Follows / The Babadook movies; Something that's totally fine but being hailed as the second coming of christ just because it's something that doesn't suck for once.
Thats not the movie's problem tho.

Vic_Viper

Trying to figure out which movie this scene is from.

It's a war movie where someone is captured and there's a helicopter flying through the city ( I think Baghdad) and they are saying over a microphone the soldiers name and saying they are not going to leave them behind.

Sean C

Fatal Attraction (1987): I knew quite a bit about this film before actually watching it, including things like the reshot ending -- and when you go into the film knowing that, it's easy to identify various bits of foreshadowing for the original ending that, as a result of the change, go nowhere. Even if the ending is reshot, though, it's masterfully filmed, one must say (in comparison, the iconic scene of
the pet rabbit's demise
is overplayed). Michael Douglas' character is kind of interesting in that he's neither a compulsive womanizer nor somebody who really requires a lot of selling to have an affair.

Frankenstein (Rewatch) - While Dracula was Universal's first monster entry and Lugosi's portrayal is iconic, James Whale's Frankenstein took Universal to a better place of horrors. There is a constant eerie-ness throughout along with the lack of sound that adds to the creep factor. Many aspects are dated nowadays, which is expected, but it's still effective despite its issues.

When I was a child I loved horror movies. They didn't scare me, and I would frequently watch anything I could in the genre without any negative effects (disputed). I knew of Frankenstein from my constant viewings of The Monster Squad and believed him to always be the fun loving misunderstood monster that movie depicts. Universal reissued their classic monster titles on VHS around the time I was 6 years old, and I remember begging my mother to buy Frankenstein and Dracula. I looked at the cover and saw Karloff's image with two other men hiding in the background. I didn't expect anything other than the lighthearted fare promised from Monster Squad. I went home, popped in the VHS, and from the moment the monster was revealed I knew something was up. It was within minutes that I had to turn the movie off and couldn't sleep for the night. It took me about 6 years before I could watch horror movies again.

Verdict: 8/10

The Bride of Frankenstein (Rewatch) - James Whale could have took the easy way out and do what many sequels do in copying the film that preceded them and still make money. That was actually the plan Universal had for their Frankenstein sequel, but somehow Whale returned, was basically given carte blanche, and it was decided that the monster demanded a mate. Building off of his work with The Old Dark House and The Invisible Man, Whale introduced comedic elements to the series but do not consider The Bride of Frankenstein to be some joke. It is an improvement in every capacity over the original, and I mean every. It's so bonkers and I absolutely love it.

Verdict: 10/10 "Masterpiece"

Wall-E (Rewatch) - This is probably Pixar's best and features one of my favorite on-screen romances. There are a few aspects of the second half which hold it back slightly, but everything else is magic. If you don't like Wall-E then fuck you.

Verdict: 9.5/10

Wonder Woman - Yay! DC finally got one!

Wonder Woman still falls into the usual comic book movie tropes that hold those types of films back. However, Gadot and Pine are wonderful (like Icecream) and have good chemisty. I felt that there was a sense of weight here that's missing in the previous DCU entries, hopefully they can keep the momentum going for Justice League.

Verdict: 7.5/10

JTripper

Recently blind bought Love Streams on blu-ray. Never seen a Cassavetes but I think it's time to dive in. This a good place to start?

crustikid

Recently blind bought Love Streams on blu-ray. Never seen a Cassavetes but I think it's time to dive in. This a good place to start?

I'd go with Shadows, but that's just me. I've only seen like four of his films. Some of his stuff isn't as easy to get into IMO.

TB14

RE: Enjoyed It Follows quite a bit. The Babadook? Not so much, but it was okay I guess.

Saw It Comes at Night today with about 5 or so other people in the theater. Not too sure how they felt about it. However, I liked it a lot. It probably doesn't top Get Out as my favorite movie of 2017 so far, but it comes close. Really well shot with an incredible sense of tension and dread throughout.

Ridley327

This seems like a strange observation to make in the face of a genre that's been experiencing a rather nice renaissance since the turn of the decade.

Toothless

Top 5 of May:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. Aliens
3. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
4. The Virgin Suicides
5. 20th Century Women

Now let's catch up a bit.

Wonder Woman gets it right. A thrilling origin story that feels utterly unique despite its clear influences. Despite an obnoxious framing device designed to remind you of an overbearing cinematic universe, the film is clearly belongs to Gadot's Diana. Both Diana and Gadot are stellar in their roles in the storytelling and as an actor; Gadot comes across as utterly perfect as Wonder Woman, making it impossible to imagine another actress playing her. More importantly though, Diana is fantastic; the first hero put forward by DC Films in years that actually is worth aspiring towards. She's charming, reasonably flawed, funny, and a badass, everything Wonder Woman should be. The film blends her mythological background with a WWI setting in a way that actually feels really fresh. The action, although clearly influenced by Snyder, is nearly always awesome and that theme still gives me chills.

Most of all, the best thing about the film is the direction. Patty Jenkins does not really give the film a style or flare, but it doesn't feel like it came out of a house. She knows when to let the camera linger or when to cut to make an emotional impact. Moreover, she knows why this movie is unfortunately important. The first female-led superhero movie in more than a decade, Jenkins smartly and subtly takes on the gender and ethnic roles usually assigned in blockbusters, reestablishing them in empowering ways that's always just a joy to see, blending that with a timeless feel that makes one realize something oddly melancholy. This film could've easily been released ten, fifteen, maybe even thirty years ago, and it'd fit in fine in tone and in quality. We should've got a Wonder Woman movie like this years ago, and that's a true shame. However, now that we finally have one, thank goodness it's this one.

Chris Pine is excellent as Steve Trevor; his chemistry with Gadot makes the romantic scenes really shine in a film where they could've easily been an afterthought. The only clear flaw of the film is the third act, when it unfortunately becomes, for a brief five minutes, a generic CGI slog-fest with dull visuals and boring action. Thankfully though, the rest of the film doesn't fall into the trap.

You can insult the other DCEU films as much as you want, but they've always nailed the iconography of these characters. Wonder Woman does that multiple times, but more importantly, it has strong character work and an engaging story to back it up for once. Gadot and Jenkins make a mighty team that delivered a quality blockbuster with moments of awe, laughter, and emotion. Wonder Woman is... well, you probably guessed it... Wonderful. 8/10

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales is a shattering disappointment. The return of Will and Elizabeth, a villain played by Javier Bardem, and a much more interesting choice for directors this go-around should've added up to so much more. Instead, there's a film with three distinct issues:

- First, the plot completely disregards the rules set up within this universe. It feels as though the writers wanted to go out of their way to destroy the stakes of the previous films, blatantly ignoring some key bits of the worldbuilding just so they could have their "Save Will" plot. (Will is not cursed; to even attempt to free him from the Dutchman would cause major issues in ferrying souls to the afterlife, and I could go into more detail but I doubt any of you care.)

- That leads to the second issue, which is that the film picks the wrong main character. The strongest character arc belongs Scodelario's Carina and she's notably the only new character that's actually memorable. She ties into Sparrow and Barbossa's story a lot better than Henry, despite Henry being Will's son.

- The final issue is Johnny Depp. He isn't playing Jack Sparrow here. It's both the fault of the writing and his performance but even in On Stranger Tides, he feels like Captain Jack Sparrow, a unique character with his own agency and memorable moments. Here, he has finally become annoying, as he falls out of character time and time again for the sake of joke that doesn't fit in. Depp doesn't even do the voice right and always plays him even broader than he's ever been in previous installments. He has finally become annoying.

It's not to say the film doesn't have strengths. There's a few great setpieces, especially one that uses a guillotine in a truly wacky way. Scodelario, as previously mentioned, is great in it, and Rush gives yet another excellent performance as Barbossa, the only legacy character this film gets right. Bardem is sadly forgettable, as the film doesn't do anything really interesting with the fact that he's the first cursed villain in the franchise that isn't a pirate. Yet, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales sadly proves what many have been saying for a decade now. This franchise should've ended when Verbinski left, as everything after it has been a useless footnote in these characters stories, an endless epilogue without any agency, slowly ruining the franchise's legacy with every new film. It's time to leave these dead men to rest.
4/10

Hasan Minhaj: Homecoming King is extremely good. Minhaj consistently showcases the classic axiom of tragedy plus time equaling comedy through an escalating hilarity directly correlated to his experiences growing up as an immigrant and dealing with racism. It’s surprisingly heartfelt while also highly funny. Hasan Minhaj: Homecoming King is a breakout for its star, and makes me really want to start checking out more comedy specials, because this one was spectacular; I can’t imagine how many more gems await me in this realm.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul is a disgusting fetishization of the American road trip that glorifies animal abuse and anti-intellectualism. More importantly though, it feels like a TV show in a sense the other films in this franchise never had. The D-list cast combined with really cheap cinematography and forced emotional cores makes this a total failure. The third act is over-stuffed and every single pop culture reference is horribly forced. There's really nothing positive to talk about with Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul. It's truly the wrong haul. 2/10

cromofo

The Man From Earth:
Filmed at one location, interesting premise and very enjoyable. One of the best low-budget movies ever. 8/10

Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead:
Cool zombie flick, underrated. 7/10

The Devil's Pass:
Based on the true Dyatlov Pass Incident, it's an interesting take on it. Iffy CGI but it's only a small portion of the movie. Very good found-footage movie. 6.5/10

Toothless

Despite the trappings of a cinematic universe, Wonder Woman upon rewatch becomes stronger thanks to its unique simplicity and huge heart. A delightfully sincere movie.

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword is unwatchable. Lacking even basic comprehension to allow for an amusing hate-watch viewing, the film is completely indecipherable thanks to an over-complicated script, an inconsistent world, and dull acting. However, all these flaws pale in comparison to Guy Ritchie's absolutely horrendous directing. All of his quirks are on full display here, but whenever they pop up, they're dreadful. You'll want them to be over with as soon as possible. An ugly color pallet and dull score don't add much, and the entire film is edited like a trailer, which begins amusing but grows dull by probably the eighth minute of the film. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword is an irredeemable mess, and is by far, one of the worst films I have ever seen at the cinema. Absolutely horrendous. 1/10

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Hounds of Love: 8/10. G/A/F? Seriously fucked up, truly terrifying. I couldn't find anything that stated the connection but I'm pretty sure this is based on a real story. It was on one of those trashy Discovery true crime shows or something, and I remember they had this couple and they said that the guy liked to hurt women. But his wife wanted a child, so they made a bargain that she would help him kidnap women to abuse (like not even sexually abuse, he just liked hurting them) in exchange for giving her a baby. And I never forgot that because it's the most fucked up thing I've ever heard in my life. And now they MADE A WHOLE MOVIE ABOUT IT. Highly recommended. Not without flaws but a great debut.

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword is unwatchable. Lacking even basic comprehension to allow for an amusing hate-watch viewing, the film is completely indecipherable thanks to an over-complicated script, an inconsistent world, and dull acting. However, all these flaws pale in comparison to Guy Ritchie's absolutely horrendous directing. All of his quirks are on full display here, but whenever they pop up, they're dreadful. You'll want them to be over with as soon as possible. An ugly color pallet and dull score don't add much, and the entire film is edited like a trailer, which begins amusing but grows dull by probably the eighth minute of the film. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword is an irredeemable mess, and is by far, one of the worst films I have ever seen at the cinema. Absolutely horrendous. 1/10

I love the Arthur legend. All these reviews of this trainwreck make me sad. And mad.

Hounds of Love: 8/10. G/A/F? Seriously fucked up, truly terrifying. I couldn't find anything that stated the connection but I'm pretty sure this is based on a real story. It was on one of those trashy Discovery true crime shows or something, and I remember they had this couple and they said that the guy liked to hurt women. But his wife wanted a child, so they made a bargain that she would help him kidnap women to abuse (like not even sexually abuse, he just liked hurting them) in exchange for giving her a baby. And I never forgot that because it's the most fucked up thing I've ever heard in my life. And now they MADE A WHOLE MOVIE ABOUT IT. Highly recommended. Not without flaws but a great debut.
Did this movie break your usual snark? OMG

Can't wait to see it here in UK. 28th July, it says.

Just saw Passengers, Morgan, Ghostbusters, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, The Revenant, and Insidious 2.

What was the fucked up hate of Passengers when it came out again? That a lonely man woke up a woman and lied to her about it? Sorry but the movie tackles that question head on. That is what the movie is about and I haven't seen such misguided hate since 50 Shades came out. Passengers was legitimately a good movie, made with style and understanding of character and drama.

Just watched Magnolia for the first time.

Thought it was really great! The characters felt a tad over-dramatic, but the movie was so well done. PT Anderson is a really great director (it was the first movie of his that I've watched). The long takes were really impressive.

gamz

Just watched Magnolia for the first time.

Thought it was really great! The characters felt a tad over-dramatic, but the movie was so well done. PT Anderson is a really great director (it was the first movie of his that I've watched). The long takes were really impressive.

My favorite PTA movie. Just love how he sustains the energy and drama for three hours.

Go watch Boogie Nights now.

Did this movie break your usual snark? OMG

Can't wait to see it here in UK. 28th July, it says.

May 12th for USA but I don't remember seeing anything about this (maybe it didn't even release in Canada?).

Sounds interesting. Aussies busting out with true crime serial killer films. How does it compare to Snowtown?

I'm assuming the title is a reference to the Kate Bush song/album?

TheFlow

Banned
It Comes at Night 2017
★★★★
It comes at night has one hell of an opening scene. The movie doesn't hold the audience hands. It lets you put the pieces together, and come to your conclusions all the way to the end. Best thing about this movie is the atmosphere. It is lonely, bleak, and outright depressing. You could tell when the scary stuff was about to happen, but overall a solid thriller.

Twilight Zone the Movie - John Landis, Spielberg, Joe Dante and George Miller

I had never seen this altough I remember reading about the horrific accident on set. Landis initial bit is probably the best thing. The mix of realism, the meta-jokes and the absurdity of the pay off. His own episode is too on the nose. I don't mind the lack of subtlety, but the episode is nothing but "to put a racist fuck in a racist context" while he just runs around the situation. Spielberg one is pure schmaltzy. Dante's is also very characteristic of is own style, the eerie context of what seems to be a very bizarre situation. The Miller one is the most well directed, lots of crazy zooms, playing with distorted lens, fantastic space awareness in such a tight environment.

Shame we didn't got more movies with more directors doing their own thing.

Shadows and/or Faces are the only Cassavetes that feel like sort of natural starting points, really. Love Streams is very late, but if that's all you got, I'm not going to tell you not to watch Cassavetes :p

Just, whatever you do, make your way to The Killing of A Chinese Bookie eventually. Both versions.

Ridley327

La Cage aux folles: A fun story no matter the language, though at the risk of sounding crazy, the son in this one is kind of a major dick. Like, damn, I really had a hard time believing that he ever enjoyed the company of his father's partner from even before this fiasco unfolds. That does take some of the fun out of this for me, though it definitely needs to be said that the performances from both Ugo Tognazzi and Michel Serrault are always delightful and they make it really easy to believe that they've been a couple for years.

EGM1966

Ace in the Hole (rewatch)

Hadn't seen this in years. I'd for rgotten how searing it is, how angry and how amazing Kirk Douglas's performance is

A simple scenario, a man seemingly benefit of any ethics or morals who'll let nothing get in his way to claw his way to the top, a literal, actual media circus and that ending.

Raw, real and as relevant as ever.

Icolin

Banned
Goodfellas

Picked up the blu-ray for this for 5 bucks and it's as good as I, and most people, consider it to be. One of Scorsese's best (the best being Taxi Driver).

big ander

You Wont Miss Me - ***1/2 one of the better mumblecore movies, as experimental as any Bujalski and deliciously off-putting as Alex Ross Perry. Wrote a bunch here: https://letterboxd.com/ander/film/you-wont-miss-me-2009/
Stoker [rewatch] - ****1/2 easily Park's best. One of the most potent psychological thrillers ever, because it's so in tune with India's head. Every shot is a reflection of her interior state—and the movie is all about her learning to shape her environment by understanding space and perspective (the scene where charlie and her basically talk about blocking on the stairs).
Alien: Covenant - **1/2 Scott finally steers thefranchise away from the fascinating misfires of Cubed/Resurrection/Prometheus into rote professionalism. Hooray? Waterston isn't given enough to live up to Rapace, let alone Weaver. Danny McBride is excellent. The utter nihilism almost makes it interesting, and is necessary to complete the thesis left unfinished in Prometheus that trying to create something perfect only amplifies the imperfections of its creator, but it also makes this disposable. Inconsequential stage-setting for Alien. The movie had its own prologue on youtube and feels like one big inessential prologue itself. Resurrection is the third best Alien movie don't at me
Get Out [rewatch] - ***1/2 Better the second time, when you're not trying to put the puzzle pieces together and can focus on the deft blend of thrills and comedy and Peele's direction. The man has an eye.
"I want your eyes, man..."

Maybe I need to rewatch Stoker. I was pretty disappointed with it when I saw it in theaters. It looked really nice, but as a thriller it felt pretty ludicrous with its twists and flashbacks and not particularly thrilling in any regard.

if nothing else stoker is probably one of the few of his movies I'd want to rewatch

I dug that movie tho cool take on shadow of a doubt

That's true though. ;)

Didn't watch Covenant but i don't think anything in it can beat the baby Alien getting sucked into space.

Fassbender hamming it up with himself is better than that nasty ass puppet they came up with for that Joss Whedon induced mess. Alien 3 and AVP are also better than Resurrection tho.

if nothing else stoker is probably one of the few of his movies I'd want to rewatch

I dug that movie tho cool take on shadow of a doubt

I think it's the best English language movie of these big Korean directors tbh, though we'll see how Okja ends up.

I would put it high up on his filmography with just Handmaiden and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance above it. The cast is pretty solid, Matthew Goode plays a good creep and I like Mia Wasikowska quite a bit.
also fuuuuck Alien Resurrection

Just saw Passengers, Morgan, Ghostbusters, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, The Revenant, and Insidious 2.

What was the fucked up hate of Passengers when it came out again? That a lonely man woke up a woman and lied to her about it? Sorry but the movie tackles that question head on. That is what the movie is about and I haven't seen such misguided hate since 50 Shades came out. Passengers was legitimately a good movie, made with style and understanding of character and drama.

I'm in the "I liked Passengers" group. But I only liked it, didn't love it. I don't think they tackled the morality of his decision head on. I think they painted over it with a romantic brush, and his decision gets tossed in the waste bin once the shit hits the fan and she's all like "oh I forgive you I love you smoochie smoochie please be careful!"

Or at least it felt that way. As I said when I watched it on Christmas, I felt the movie could have swerved into a very deep perspective on morality, but that would have been with a different director and different actors. There's also all sorts of tangents one could take on that storyline. What if he wakes up the first girl and she just doesn't do it for him. So he spaces her out the airlock and tries again. And again. And again. Until he finally finds the one woman who feels for him what he feels for her and they live happil--until she finds all the empty tubes, all of missing women. That would be fun.

But I digress. If you went in thinking "this will be a romantic drama set in space with some action tossed in" then yep, you got what you expected. And it did a good job with that. But really, the people who don't like it are the ones who focused on his moral decision and expected a different movie because of the depth of that dilemma.

big ander

Stoker's twists are way more palatable than say Oldboy's. Mainly cause they aren't really twists, where your understanding is completely turned on its head—the entire point is that India was right to be suspicious and feel conflicted over Charlie's creepiness combined with his attractiveness (unlike her mother who becomes a swooning jealous schoolgirl), all the movie does is withhold backstory.

And the flashbacks are structured elegantly, always coming at a time when India herself would be thinking back to a moment or imagining the past, part of how the film is so in her head.

What other Park movies are better? My only real competitors would be JSA and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. (Haven't seen Thirst, or his 90s movies that are difficult to track down.)
In that same post he also said Resurrection was the third best Alien movie, sooooo
What's better, alien 3? Because I've read so much writing from Fincher fans about it's underappreciated and the movie all those words describe does not match the mundane reality.
I think every alien after aliens is middling, all varying levels of adequate—so calling it the best of those is not exactly praise. Resurrection is at least silly and short, Weaver playing an insane xerox of herself is funny (has some similarities with Cooper in the new Twin Peaks now that I think about it) until it gets trying, and it strikes and interesting balance between cartoonishness and horror a few times.

Stoker's twists are way more palatable than say Oldboy's. Mainly cause they aren't really twists, where your understanding is completely turned on its head—the entire point is that India was right to be suspicious and feel conflicted over Charlie's creepiness combined with his attractiveness (unlike her mother who becomes a swooning jealous schoolgirl), all the movie does is withhold backstory.

And the flashbacks are structured elegantly, always coming at a time when India herself would be thinking back to a moment or imagining the past, part of how the film is so in her head.

What other Park movies are better? My only real competitors would be JSA and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. (Haven't seen Thirst, or his 90s movies that are difficult to track down.)

What's better, alien 3? Because I've read so much writing from Fincher fans about it's underappreciated and the movie all those words describe does not match the mundane reality.
I think every alien after aliens is middling, all varying levels of adequate—so calling it the best of those is not exactly praise. Resurrection is at least silly and short, Weaver playing an insane xerox of herself is funny (has some similarities with Cooper in the new Twin Peaks now that I think about it) until it gets trying, and it strikes and interesting balance between cartoonishness and horror a few times.

I've liked every other Park movie I've seen better than Stoker. The Handmaiden, Oldboy, Thirst, and Mr. Vengence. Although outside of The Handmaiden and Oldboy I haven't seen any of those any more recently than Stoker. I really liked Thirst, but The Handmaiden remains my favorite of his work by a good margin.

I just seem to recall thinking there wasn't any suspense to Stoker because it was so obvious that he was a creep, and then the backstory reveal just took it too far with cartoonish levels of maliciousness, like the Spike Lee Oldboy's handling of the twist reveals.

I'm no Fincher fanboy but Alien 3 has great atmosphere and a generally coherent handling of its theme and Ripley's character. A lot of the things people really hate about the movie I think serve the theme of Ripley coming o terms with death really well. Tonally it worked, it's got some good side characters and bit performances, it just really falls apart towards the end when the editing shits the bed and it relies more heavily on the terrible alien chase sequences. Resurrection just thoroughly irritated me and made me mildly nauseous. It's full of grotesque stuff that tries to be funny but mostly baffles me, like when Jeunet sweeps the camera across for some random dutch angled shot of that dude fondling some chicks ass. I just have no idea what anyone involved was going for.

I don't think they tackled the morality of his decision head on. I think they painted over it with a romantic brush

That's pretty much it. The third act is a hot mess.

There's an incredible disconnect between the moral ramifications of the situation as introduced and the Hollywood gloves they use to handle it afterwards. I called it the single most irresponsible-slash-wrongheaded piece of studio filmmaking in 2016 and I'll stand by that.

JTripper

The final third of Cassavetes' Love Streams is so puzzling yet so effective. It's a movie that's hard to put into words but easy to feel. Almost difficult to watch at times. Great movie.

It Comes At Night - I love slow burn films but there needs to be a great payoff and when that doesn't happen a film just tends to be hollow and (I hate to say it) boring. It Comes At Night has it's moments where there are some real interesting things going on but it doesn't really build on the tension it creates. It stops and resets. I found myself having a hard time caring for the characters and their world and this film will just go down as another 2000-something psuedo-horror disappointment with a decent premise and poor execution. 5/10

TheFlow

Banned
It Comes At Night - I love slow burn films but there needs to be a great payoff and when that doesn't happen a film just tends to be hollow and (I hate to say it) boring. It Comes At Night has it's moments where there are some real interesting things going on but it doesn't really build on the tension it creates. It stops and resets. I found myself having a hard time caring for the characters and their world and this film will just go down as another 2000-something psuedo-horror disappointment with a decent premise and poor execution. 5/10
I agree with the resets killing the build up each time. but that last 20 mins or so <3.

Top Bottom