• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| May 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanRats

Blackhat, pretty solid Mann.
Great shootouts and bursts of action, somewhat-dry but spectacular, in classic Mann style.
I even liked the whole hacking theme and shenanigans, but the story still felt like a fart in the wind.
The romance was superfluous, and Hemsworth didn't really convince me in that role, plus the villain really didn't feel all that interesting or intimidating, compared to Miami Vice or Collateral, was just some dude.
Also wasn't particularly thrilled by the soundtrack, big part of a good Mann movie, for me.

Draconian

Honestly, it made me want to rewatch Mad Max: Fury Road just to tell Innaritu to fuck off, blockbusters can be fulfilling and deep in today's society.

Considering Innaritu is good friends with Cuaron and GDT, claiming that he thinks all blockbusters are trash is dubious at best.

On the other hand, Birdman is one of the few times I will change my mind on a movie hugely. I just rewatched it on DVD and wow... I can't believe I missed how spectacularly shitty the script is. It's literally exposition after exposition, with the occasional funny line. I think I might've blinded by my love of theater the first time. Keaton and Norton are still excellent, but I still don't know why Norton isn't in the third act of the film. The cinematography and score don't make up for the glaring flaws this has in the directorial and writing department. From an ideological standpoint, it's everything I despise about other film students' attitudes wrapped in a pretty, extremely blunt gift basket. Honestly, it made me want to rewatch Mad Max: Fury Road just to tell Innaritu to fuck off, blockbusters can be fulfilling and deep in today's society.

The worst part is the scene where Innaritu is basically having the theater critic and the actor talk about Films being art.

Toothless

Considering Innaritu is good friends with Cuaron and GDT, claiming that he thinks all blockbusters are trash is dubious at best.

Well, then perhaps he should've wrote Birdman a little less condescendingly.

The worst part is the scene where Innaritu is basically having the theater critic and the actor talk about Films being art.

I don't know, Innaritu is totally right! Critics are just bitter old people who hate everything because they failed at their dreams! The only people qualified to judge any form of art are people who are in that artform! What a genius!

Gobias

Banned
On the other hand, Birdman is one of the few times I will change my mind on a movie hugely. I just rewatched it on DVD and wow... I can't believe I missed how spectacularly shitty the script is. It's literally exposition after exposition, with the occasional funny line. I think I might've blinded by my love of theater the first time. Keaton and Norton are still excellent, but I still don't know why Norton isn't in the third act of the film. The cinematography and score don't make up for the glaring flaws this has in the directorial and writing department. From an ideological standpoint, it's everything I despise about other film students' attitudes wrapped in a pretty, extremely blunt gift basket. Honestly, it made me want to rewatch Mad Max: Fury Road just to tell Innaritu to fuck off, blockbusters can be fulfilling and deep in today's society.

Everything about Birdman is amazing except for the script. Too bad.

My man! Hated this crap on a second watch, so annoyingly self righteous.
I watched Spider a couple of nights a go and I legitimatey cannot stop thinking about it. Wonderful performance by Ralph Fiennes, without a doubt the best representation of schizophrenia I have seen in a film so far, his small mannerisms like the gentle mumbling and near total poverty of speech completely sell it alongside the sad, empty look in his eyes. Cronenberg's direction is magnificent as usual, very understated, lets the narrative unfold gently and subtly. Absolutely adored it. Need to watch everything else he's ever directed.

I just watched Millennium Actress for the first time. I've already seen Perfect Blue and Paprika, and while they're excellent movies, Millennium Actress is the first Satoshi Kon to truly blow me away.
I loved every second of it and it looks like there are some interesting possible psychological interpretations. I'll have a hard time discussing them in english though :D

Anyway, the music and cinematography alone make the movie worth watching. I just wish there was a Blu-ray release :(

Toothless

Why? He chose a generic superhero movie of the 90's as an ingredient in the movie. You read too much into it.

The script clearly attacks current blockbusters multiple times throughout the film, with the comments on Renner, Fassbender, and Harrellson along with the rants Norton gives over and over again. I have no issue with the Birdman vehicle, but Norton's character repeatedly hates on Hollywood with a cynical attitude and the film gives no irony to these rants.

zoukka

The script clearly attacks current blockbusters multiple times throughout the film, with the comments on Renner, Fassbender, and Harrellson along with the rants Norton gives over and over again. I have no issue with the Birdman vehicle, but Norton's character repeatedly hates on Hollywood with a cynical attitude and the film gives no irony to these rants.

So it's the opinion of that character, get over it.

big ander

Sorry for the shitty self promotion but the reason why I haven't been watching as much as I usually do is for I have been working on some direct animation project. I finished this one about a few weeks ago and the one I am working on now will hopefully be a 30 minute short by the end of the summer (made about 13 minutes worth of footage right now):
https://vimeo.com/127684658
It is only 2 minutes long by the way.
Cool stuff dude.
My man! Hated this crap on a second watch, so annoyingly self righteous.
I watched Spider a couple of nights a go and I legitimatey cannot stop thinking about it. Wonderful performance by Ralph Fiennes, without a doubt the best representation of schizophrenia I have seen in a film so far, his small mannerisms like the gentle mumbling and near total poverty of speech completely sell it alongside the sad, empty look in his eyes. Cronenberg's direction is magnificent as usual, very understated, lets the narrative unfold gently and subtly. Absolutely adored it. Need to watch everything else he's ever directed.
Spider's a lower tier Cronenberg for a lot of people—for me as well, though even lower tier for him is a solid ***1/2 or so—so you should definitely get on everything else of his. A History of Violence is a close cousin I think, and one of his best. My absolute favorites are Dead Ringers, The Brood and Videodrome.

Still shook over Birdman winning best screenplay. The scene with the critic at the bar alone should have disqualified it from Best fuckin' anything. If not that, then the two hot chicks making out for no reason.

Birdman was pretty weak but I'm still really looking forward to the revenant. Shot completely in natural light, movies like that always look beautiful

Blader

On second viewing, it seemed to me that Birdman was more making fun of the actors who think they're doing real art and thumb their noses at blockbusters than it was actually making fun of the actors who do those blockbusters.

Cool stuff dude.

Spider's a lower tier Cronenberg for a lot of people—for me as well, though even lower tier for him is a solid ***1/2 or so—so you should definitely get on everything else of his. A History of Violence is a close cousin I think, and one of his best. My absolute favorites are Dead Ringers, The Brood and Videodrome.

Of his work I've already seen The Fly, Videodrome, Maps and now Spider, but I will definitely be sure to check out Dead Ringers, The Brood and History of Violence. Thanks for the tip :)

I just finished watching Nashville and I have to say, although I rank Altman as my favourite director it was purely on the strength of The Long Goodbye and McCabe & Mrs Miller, but this... I need to dwell on it for some time but I feel like it could have been the best film I've seen in my entire life, beating Magnolia. I literally cannot fault it - the performance of I'm Easy and the entire last hour were utterly enthralling. The ending gave me serious chills. Totally magnificent.

"Is that the wind or a furious fixation?"
"You schlinga!"
"You know, hope is a mistake. If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane."

Yup, totally went to see Mad Max Fury Road again with friends :p

Sci-fi of these production values with such a mythic vibe, especially those storms, and at many points because of the ridiculous amount of details felt like concept art come to life. Second time around, you really notice how rhythmic the whole thing is. Not just the drums and guitarist, but the noises the vehicles make, like Furiosa pulling the lever, or certain sound effects. The music and sound design and editing is so in sync.

I friggin' love ya, Slit!
irnDI3uN7IyzY.gif

i4rKODQBOdk5D.gif

rt6UXkQ.gif

Ridley327

The Thieves is a fluffy little nothing of a heist film in the same vein as Ocean's 11, but it's got a good heart and some very fun action scenes, including a terrific one involving rappelling. It makes a crucial misstep by losing some of the more fun actors halfway through and doesn't fully recover in their absence, but it does its best to make up for it with a progressively more convoluted and spirited finale that involves all of our remaining players. Everyone in the cast is clearly having a lot of fun, as is the director, which tends to rub off on the viewer. You won't lose any sleep by not watching it, but it won't waste your time, either.

Mad Max Fury Road. This movie is special in the realm of blockbusters, a spectacle of the best kind, one that should be held among the great blockbuster movies. It is simple on surface, but that might actually its greatest attribute. It allows it to focus and reach further than many that try more. It respects its audience, and it's just great and beautiful.

In a world where most blockbusters barely try, and most that do usually don't hit this level, this is a fresh experience. The movie works; whatever wrong there is, I can forgive. 9/10

Toothless

So it's the opinion of that character, get over it.

Great condescending comment, really appreciate it. The film clearly takes the side of Norton's character, he's never proved wrong, and it's just a condescending, self-important film with a shitty script and good performances.

Anyway, rewatched Man of Steel.The action is still incredibly entertaining, but the script is pretty bad dialogue-wise. It's still enjoyable though with warts and all since the bad stuff is funny-bad and the good stuff is exhilarating even on a TV.

Jupiter Ascending

Based on the reactions I've seen I was expecting something that's completely shit, but I think it's only mostly shit. It felt like a story that was completely fine at one point before they screwed it up. Like the original plan had been a TV series, or it was adapted from a book by the same people who did Golden Compass or something.

Or maybe I'm just making excuses.

UrbanRats

Fuck that Mad Max hype.
Don't want to see it dubbed, so i'll have to wait for VOD or Bluray or whatever on this one.

i'm getting more and more intollerant of stupid goddamn dubbing.

Great condescending comment, really appreciate it. The film clearly takes the side of Norton's character, he's never proved wrong, and it's just a condescending, self-important film with a shitty script and good performances.

I never got the feeling the film was saying what this character was saying ... For better or worse, the main subject for me seemed to be the self-important asses we make of ourselves in different ways, and the interplay between that and actual (utterly subjective btw) greatness ...

I may have softened on the film since watching it. Initially I was left very cold, thinking it had nothing much to really say, for all its mesmerising lyricism. Opinions etc!

Is there no former eastern block cinema fans here ? Mosfilm has been a great help , because in 2011 they started to release a lot of its classics online and some of the stuff is pretty great , mostly in form. There's a lot more to them than merely Eisenstein or Tarkovsky.

I've watched a lot of stuff and even the bad ones , the technique tends to be nothing sort of extraordinary. I actually think i'm watching these just to appreciate the form.

Even smallish movies tend to have something to appreciate. Like

p68JzJj.jpg

Dead Man's Letters - Konstantin Lopushansky

After watching Fury Road , i was kinda into some more post-apocalyptic stuff. Cold War , Holocaust and Nuclear Devastation. Everything is always fucking brutal. It's no different here. Always hard to go through. I think my beard grows as i watch this stuff. Decay everywhere. A nightmarish pessimism runs through the entire movie , from characters to setting. But something always glues me to the screen. Technique , well there's some beautiful dolly shots (especially one in particular).

mQyGrTv.png

Vlad Tepes - Doru Nastase

A romanian movie about the story of the prince Vlad Draculea (romanticized then as Dracula). It's not about the violence of his practices , but mostly a very interesting biography within an historical context , about the political schemings in europe and the military actions against the ottomans. It's sort of a look behind the myth..

I also saw

The Imposter - Bart Layton

A very very creepy story about identify theft. Film is a well made mash between documentary , biography and thriller.

obin_gam

mQyGrTv.png

A romanian movie about the story of the prince Vlad Draculea (romanticized then as Dracula). It's not about the violence of his practices , but mostly a very interesting biography within an historical context , about the political schemings in europe and the military actions against the ottomans. It's sort of a look behind the myth..

But is this any good?

If you are curious and enjoy the historical context and political plotting while accepting some bad fight scenes and production design very far from something like Braveheart...its very acceptable. But it's a 70's epic romanian movie , there's natural limitations to it. I understand some audiences finding it a little too crude for their own taste.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Is there no former eastern block cinema fans here ? Mosfilm has been a great help , because in 2011 they started to release a lot of its classics online and some of the stuff is pretty great , mostly in form. There's a lot more to them than merely Eisenstein or Tarkovsky.

I've watched a lot of stuff and even the bad ones , the technique tends to be nothing sort of extraordinary. I actually think i'm watching these just to appreciate the form.

Even smallish movies tend to have something to appreciate. Like

p68JzJj.jpg

After watching Fury Road , i was kinda into some more post-apocalyptic stuff. Cold War , Holocaust and Nuclear Devastation. Everything is always fucking brutal. It's no different here. Always hard to go through. I think my beard grows as i watch this stuff. Decay everywhere. A nightmarish pessimism runs through the entire movie , from characters to setting. But something always glues me to the screen. Technique , well there's some beautiful dolly shots (especially one in particular).

mQyGrTv.png

I also saw

The Imposter - Bart Layton

A very very creepy story about identify theft. Film is a well made mash between documentary , biography and thriller.

now that you mention it, my knowledge of Eastern European cinema is sadly rather limited. Besdies the Russians, Romanian Radu Mihăileanu and a couple Czech directors like the great Věra Chytilová I don't think i've watched much more than these; will keep an eye on those, definitely worth watching just for the radically different aesthetics/idea of cinema

I wouldn't recommend those as an entry point though eheh. Mosfilms released a lot of movies on youtube and many are subtitled in english. Lots of gems to go through.

As for people who have the slightest interest but dont know where to start , watch some Bondarchuk epics. Waterloo and War and Peace. You might be floored by the huge scope of this movies (naturally expect some propagandist nature).

Alpende

I saw Mad Max: Fury Road yesterday. It's a must watch if you like action movies in general. The action is insanely good.

zoukka

The film has plenty of sides, the theater critic is painted as a cynic and the main character is in the middle of it all. What kind of commentary would you have wanted in the movie? It wasn't even close to being condescending towards action movies, there's so much more you could criticize them over than what was seen in Birdman.

And in the end it's a fair point to make. It's not like anyone entertains the idea of every movie genre being equal in quality and ambition. The very defining factor in popcorn flicks reads as "not deep".

Across the Pacific - I have a feeling this isn't one of John Huston's most well-liked movies, and I can definitely see why with the Asian stereotypes, and the exact same lead cast as The Maltese Falcon, sans Lorre, drawing immediate comparisons that probably leaves this film wanting, but that misses the biggest draw of this movie for me. It's basically an Indiana Jones movie starring Humphrey Bogart, so it's awesome. Sydney Greenstreet trying to commit seppuku with Bogie leering cruelly was pretty silly, though. I'll still watch this movie over and over.

Anyway, rewatched Man of Steel.The action is still incredibly entertaining, but the script is pretty bad dialogue-wise. It's still enjoyable though with warts and all since the bad stuff is funny-bad and the good stuff is exhilarating even on a TV.

Uh, Norton's character is a sociopathic, wannabe rapist. The film's basic point is that these people's attempts to define themselves via art, high or low, is self-destructive and futile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlNI2SiL-kU
CDNTcassavetes.jpg

Was watching this documentary on John Cassavetes in 1965 before he was done filming Faces, it's like really good as insight on indie filmmaking in USA at the time. Don't recall any other documentaries following directors this closely. Dude was super smart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlNI2SiL-kU#t=16m47s
"I don't think anyone in Europe knows that America really exists beyond what Hollywood shows them. So we would like to try to show them what Americans really are like. What part of Americans are really like. Bad and good."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlNI2SiL-kU#t=20m57s
"We don't shoot through glasses. Art films are not necessarily photography. It's feeling. If we can capture a feeling of a people, of a way of life, then we've made a good picture."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlNI2SiL-kU#t=23m39s
"As a matter of fact, in Faces, I can honestly say that the film would never have been completed and it took 3 years to complete, if it wasn't for everyone's total interest in the human problem. Not the film problem. Film to me is, just unimportant. People are very important."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlNI2SiL-kU#t=24m41s
"There are many American ways of living. America is a big country with a lot of different geography. At the seaport, people live differently than in a valley, in a farm area, or they live differently than they do in a rocky area. Just got a lot of different geography and a lot of different time changes and ways and cultural backgrounds. The background of different people. There are places all over America that some places are German, some places are Swedish, some places are Italian, some places are French. It's a country that really has no basic nationality of its own. It's a country of many different people. Sometimes they band together and make a community."

EliCash

Watched Deconstructing Harry and Hannah and Her Sisters. It was my third viewing of Hannah and I think it's got to be in my top 5 Allen movies. Maybe top 3. Deconstructing Harry was also pretty enjoyable, not sure where I would rank it yet - maybe mid tier.

I also watched Serpico . I fucking love Serpico.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlNI2SiL-kU

Was watching this documentary on John Cassavetes in 1965 before he was done filming Faces, it's like really good as insight on indie filmmaking in USA at the time. Don't recall any other documentaries following directors this closely. Dude was super smart.

Sweet, that's tonight's viewing sorted, cheers.

p68JzJj.jpg

Visitor to a Museum is almost as good, imo. Russian Symphony wasn't as good but still worth a watch if you liked Dead Man's Letters and Visitor to a Museum.

Piotr Szulkin has some good films with a similar Eastern Bloc post-apocalypse feel.

Toothless

The film has plenty of sides, the theater critic is painted as a cynic and the main character is in the middle of it all. What kind of commentary would you have wanted in the movie? It wasn't even close to being condescending towards action movies, there's so much more you could criticize them over than what was seen in Birdman.

And in the end it's a fair point to make. It's not like anyone entertains the idea of every movie genre being equal in quality and ambition. The very defining factor in popcorn flicks reads as "not deep".

I never got the feeling the film was saying what this character was saying ... For better or worse, the main subject for me seemed to be the self-important asses we make of ourselves in different ways, and the interplay between that and actual (utterly subjective btw) greatness ...

I may have softened on the film since watching it. Initially I was left very cold, thinking it had nothing much to really say, for all its mesmerising lyricism. Opinions etc!

I'm reminded on why I shouldn't reply to topics late at night; you're right, it is a fair point to make, it just doesn't sit well with me. I subscribe to the belief that you can find deep meanings in any film, not just the smaller films Birdman and Inarritu raises up as holy. Movies are movies though, I just took more fault with "So it's the opinion of that character, get over it," since honestly, every aspect of a film should be examined in my opinion; telling me to get over it when it's a major problematic aspect of the film is ridiculous in my eyes. Just saying.

Uh, Norton's character is a sociopathic, wannabe rapist. The film's basic point is that these people's attempts to define themselves via art, high or low, is self-destructive and futile.

This is a good point, but once again, it's something I personally disagree with (that defining yourself via art is self-destructive and futile) and thus, the movie rubs me the wrong way. I'm just not a fan of Birdman I guess, lol, which is funny because I had it as my fourth of last year at the end of 2014.

Nuke Soda

Tomorrowland (2015)- Let me put this delicately: Movie fucking sucks. Cardboard characters, deadbeat story, George Clooney is bored. Lots of things wrong with this movie, oh and it is over 2 hours, this boring seen it before story took over 2 hours to tell. If you want to see it be prepared for disappointment.

Tomorrowland (2015)- Let me put this delicately: Movie fucking sucks. Cardboard characters, deadbeat story, George Clooney is bored. Lots of things wrong with this movie, oh and it is over 2 hours, this boring seen it before story took over 2 hours to tell. If you want to see it be prepared for disappointment.
It's pretty though, right? Going to see it tomorrow morning at IMAX and that's all I'll need hopefully. Already seen Mad Max twice lol, not much else good on IMAX aside from a documentary on Madagascar lemurs.

Nuke Soda

It's pretty though, right? Going to see it tomorrow morning at IMAX and that's all I'll need hopefully. Already seen Mad Max twice lol, not much else good on IMAX aside from a documentary on Madagascar lemurs.

I was so pissed about the characters that I didn't really notice the pretty. Fury Road really spoiled me on all fronts.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
good lord, I hate Forrest Gump. It's like they harpooned my body by the ballsack and threw it in a 4x8 vat of saccharine and treacle, and pointed a sniper rifle at me saying I have to eat it all. It's so horrendously jingoistic, banal, an expertly crafted self-blowjob that is also the most blatant Oscar bait movie ever made. It's like they said "How do we win an Oscar?" "Well just make this Tom Hanks play a demented guy that is not really demented because we are demented and he's the simpleton who looks at life with candour while we're just a bunch of cynical assholes" "yeah, but that's not enough for the Oscars, let's also make this character the perfect American by representing America's ideals, which is: being the best human beings ever" "it's a lock!" , it irritates the shit out of me. Thank god I got Altman's The Long Goodbye blu ray, gonna erase this sack of shit asap and watch some true, great American cinema instead

Fbh

Ex Machina: Pretty good. But I think the reviews had me a bit overhyped as I felt somewhat dissapointed. I liked the atmosphere and it had some thought provoking themes, but it felt a bit predictable

Oogedei

I watched Submarine yesterday and I really enjoyed it. It was like a Wes Anderson movie just a bit more serious. The actors did a good job and the Soundtrack perfectly underlined the nineties flair of the movie. I recommend it to everyone who likes the style of Wes Anderson and strange/ dark humour.

Saw my first movie of the blaxploitation genre with Truck Turner

Man what a treat. Sure it's pretty low budget and heavily dated, with stilted acting and editing, but the characters alone make this a fun movie.It tells a basic story of a couple bail bondsman tracking a dangerous pimp then getting into deeper trouble when they find him. Issac Hayes' plays the title character who's down on his luck living in a dumpy apartment. The villain Harvard Blue has one of the better introductions out there.

Favorite scene is
after Hayes' character and his buddy beat the crap out of a bunch of dudes in a bar chasing a pimp, he tells them to drop their pants and says "Anybody ask you what happened, tell 'em you been hit by a truck, Mac 'Truck' Turner"
lol

Overall a fun movie, and will look for some more selections of the genre that are like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom