• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| May 2017

The Golden Compass (Rewatch)

I've only seen this once, and it was around the time it came out on DVD, so I didn't really remember much. Pretty good fantasy movie, and I really liked most of the characters. Wish it had gotten sequels.

⭐⭐⭐⭐

Aliens - Avatar 2 director

I always liked Aliens. Maybe even love it. The hyper-machismo meets xenomorphs is simply fantastic. Yes, at times this feels like what a 12 year old would imagine as an Alien sequel, but the juvenile and simplistic approach to filmmaking of James Cameron as always been one of his finest traits. It's been 30 years and it's still a blast.

I do have to say that the action bits of it are piss poor and I notice it more and more. I never really considered it as an action movie and it irks me seeing it labeled as such when the build up tension and the closeness of the suspense is easily its best quality (off course you can't see the aberration that is the DC which kills the entire first incursion) and when he tries to orient the scene in a more action perspective it's simply lackluster (the alien puppets are not very helpful i understand).

The Witch- basically, I'm never going into the woods again. It's impossible for me to feel much for the family though. I mean, they owned a plantation.
Also don't watch Without Name. It's Irish, so watch out for accents!
withoutname_01-h_2016.jpg

It's what the new Blair Witch should have been.

TheFlow

Banned
Just watched A brighter summer day..one of the greatest movies I have ever seen.

The ending just makes you want to cry

Just watched A brighter summer day..one of the greatest movies I have ever seen.

The ending just makes you want to cry

I really need to see this. I had to miss a restoration screening of it a year or so back and I've been kicking myself ever since.

I did manage to catch a restoration screening of The Terrorizers and basically sat in front of that thing for two hours in a hypnotic trance. It was an incredible experience.

JTripper

Finally got through the past 7 Fast and Furious movies. My rankings probably aren't very surprising but there were things I liked in all the films:

Fast Five - Everything the first four films were leading to, and executed to near-perfection. This is the one that sold me on the family.

Tokyo Drift - Nonsensical fun and humor. Han (and his motive for racing), drifting, Japan, culture shock, Bow Wow, that amazing southern accent. Shibuya Crossing scene was pretty dope too. This is the one I could probably rewatch the most.

Furious 7 - Pretty enjoyable for the most part. Action sequences are good but the quieter moments and comedy are hit or miss.
I'll seriously miss Paul Walker in these movies.

The Fast and the Furious - I have a lot of respect for the starting point in the franchise. It's just pure racing and dumb early 2000s fashion and comedy.

Fast 6 - Thought this one was super unbalanced. Two of the BEST action sequences in the franchise
(the highway tank chase and the finale)
yet I was pretty unimpressed with the rest of it, except for Han and Giselle and the
running gag of Han still planning that trip to Tokyo since 4.

2 Fast 2 Furious - Only worth it for the Brian/Roman "bruh"mance.

Fast and Furious 4 - Necessary setup for the greatness of Fast Five and it was nice to see
Brian and Dom
together again since 1, but damn was it boring.

TheFlow

Banned
I really need to see this. I had to miss a restoration screening of it a year or so back and I've been kicking myself ever since.

I did manage to catch a restoration screening of The Terrorizers and basically sat in front of that thing for two hours in a hypnotic trance. It was an incredible experience.
Yea I gotta watch that one and some of his other stuff. Surprised Criterion has only done 3 of his movies atm.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (2017) - just got back from this one and found it very entertaining. Dave Bautista (Drax) steals the show for the first half, with his awkward humor and his blunt speech. That and his belly laugh. Most of the humor hit for me or at least managed a chuckle. The theme of family is played pretty hard here, even with the family members having their little spats. The action is pretty good, though the ending battle maybe is a little too long. I've seen arguments that Groot is overused, but not for me. Loved the little guy.

Won't say much about the plot, as I'm not sure how long we should go before discussing possible spoilers. Suffice to say it's not a novel plot device but I thought it was all done pretty well.

The obvious question is whether it's as good as Vol 1. It's hard for me to answer that, because I had such incredibly low expectations for the first one. It was the first time I felt like Marvel was off its rocker and just throwing movies out there for the hell of it. But when I finally saw it--at home--I was blown away. This time I went in with high expectations so matching them was pretty tough. Ultimately I think I like the first one more, but I'll get a rewatch of this one at some point.

Oh and the music kicked ass.

4 / 5

old

Beauty and the Beast - Good. Watson's singing is the weakest part of the movie. She needed more time to prepare than 3 months. Didn't appreciate the over-hyped gay moment that wasn't really even gay. Can't act like you're supporting gays when you're doing the very least to acknowledge them.

Snatched - Funny but forgettable.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - A good action movie. One viewing was enough though. Not something I'm going to probably ever see again.

the terrorizers is on amazon prime video but the subtitles are really shitty

hampered my enjoyment so it didn't grab me like yi yi and brighter summer day

TheFlow

Banned
A Brighter Summer Day 1991
★★★★★
A period piece unlike anything else. Four hours felt like two. By the the end I was close to tears. Yang captures adolescence extremely well. Blending youth with the harsher realities of an adult world.

A Brighter Summer Day 1991
★★★★★
A period piece unlike anything else. Four hours felt like two. By the the end I was close to tears. Yang captures adolescence extremely well. Blending youth with the harsher realities of an adult world.
4 hours bruh? No no no no no

Wensih

Just going to continue to rant about theaters and online ticket preorder sales because they've become almost a necessity to grab a seat for a showing and now they're going to charge me a convenience fee to order online? pffft, fuck it. I can wait until it's at redbox.

TheFlow

Banned
Just going to continue to rant about theaters and online ticket preorder sales because they've become almost a necessity to grab a seat for a showing and now they're going to charge me a convenience fee to order online? pffft, fuck it. I can wait until it's at redbox.

forreal? that is bs. I would just go to the theatre and do it.

The Talented Mr. Ripley: The last of the movies prominently featured in The Disaster Artist (the others being Sunset Boulevard, Rebel Without a Cause, and Spy Game, all of which I've seen before.). Greg sees the relationship between Tom and Dickie as an analogy for the relationship between Tommy Wiseau and himself. He takes Tommy to take it, and Tommy being Tommy, misses the point. He later decides to name the second main character in The Room after this movie's star, Mark Damon.

This is a good movie, with a nicely done "playing two people at once" plot. I do have to applaud Matt's acting ability to act like Dickie. Tom has a lot of issues, but I don't feel it's as bad as, say, Lou from Nightcrawler. Dickie isn't so innocent either. Nice shots of Italy along the way. Worth watching.

Wensih

forreal? that is bs. I would just go to the theatre and do it.

Yeah, but it's gotten to the point where you'd have to go hours or a day in advance. They renovated our theater to luxury seating while also reducing the number of seats in each theatre. Every time I've attempted to purchase tickets (30-45 minutes before screening) for a movie they've been sold out, and we've had to just drive back home.

TheFlow

Banned
Yeah, but it's gotten to the point where you'd have to go hours or a day in advance. They renovated our theater to luxury seating while also reducing the number of seats in each theatre. Every time I've attempted to purchase tickets (30-45 minutes before screening) for a movie they've been sold out, and we've had to just drive back home.

yea that sucks man. They made the theatre nicer, but overall screwed people over. I would honestly take my business elsewhere.

Wensih

yea that sucks man. They made the theatre nicer, but overall screwed people over. I would honestly take my business elsewhere.

Yeah, I don't think we've been to that theater in the past 8 months or more. We've been waiting for movies to hit rental services or come out in the re-run theater we have.

TheFlow

Banned
Yeah, I don't think we've been to that theater in the past 8 months or more. We've been waiting for movies to hit rental services or come out in the re-run theater we have.

Can't you wait a week or two and then try to see the movie in theatre? Or are the seats still hard to come by?

I often avoid seeing Big releases the Day/Night of to avoid the hassle of getting a good seat.

Wensih

Can't you wait a week or two and then try to see the movie in theatre? Or are the seats still hard to come by?

I often avoid seeing Big releases the Day/Night of to avoid the hassle of getting a good seat.

Guardians is still sold out (although it's a Marvel film). At this point I'm fine waiting a few months to pay 80% less.

Mossybrew

Logan damn it is a revelation to watch a "comic book movie" with this kind of gravitas and closure. A story that actually ends, not some segue into the next endless "universe" movie. The impact made even more intense by these two actors having played these roles for so long.

Toothless

Alright, first time posting in here this month! So I guess I'll start with my top five first watches of April:

1. Rushmore
2. The Big Lebowski
3. Bring Me the Head of Charlie Brown
4. Free Fire
5. Eye Myth

Guardians of the Galaxy is easily the best Marvel Cinematic Universe film made so far. Although the jokes may grow old after many rewatches, that doesn't change the quick-paced nature of them, which never fails to give me a grin. The character-work in this film is astounding, where all five main characters have a great emotional arc that pay off in truly heart-wrenching ways. The action is pretty great for a first-time blockbuster director, and the ensemble cast plays off each other in a way rarely seen in films of this type.

Excellent cinematography makes this film much more enjoyable than would be expected. Particularly, the jokes that hold up the best are visual ones, playing with background or composition in truly fun ways. The Marvel connective moments that rear its head at points are annoying, but there are remarkably few here compared to their other introduction films. Guardians of the Galaxy is remarkably engrossing thanks to fantastic characters and a tight script, all directed with a surprising panache. Quite possibly the most original these films will ever get. 9/10

Alien is an exciting point of origin for modern horror sci-fi. All the tropes are here, but this is when they are codified in a truly exciting manner. Scott directs with vigor, and the cast is consistently great. Weaver makes Ridley as iconic as she's always been called, but Kotto steals the show as his engineer who is secretly the smartest person on the crew. The alien effects hold up today, but more remarkable is the production design with remarkably beautiful elaborate sets that make the Nostromo come to life in a striking way. Alien remains a fascinating sci-fi film, but one can argue that the horror elements have gone away with time. However, it's still a rollicking thriller with memorable characters and solid direction. 7/10

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is a miracle. James Gunn has crafted the most soulful Marvel film yet. It's not as cohesive or, to be blunt, as good as the original, but it comes close. Gunn experiments a lot more this go-around, and although not all of it works, it's mostly fascinating in its own ambitious mess.

The most intriguing thing changed here is the tone. Calling this an all-out comedy like the first one was feels wrong. The original Guardians leaned into drama at points to really let the characters; Vol. 2 bathes in it so much, it truly ends up overtaking the comedy. This is a very good thing. This allows most comparative criticism to the original to be irrelevant (although I realize I have already partaken in some). Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is its own beast, although it's definitely a slightly messy one.

This is not to say it's not a funny movie. It is. It might not be its prime objective, but these characters interacting with each other is simply amusing. Expanded roles for Nebula and Yondu and awesome new characters in Klementieff's Mantis and Russell's Ego really help this ensemble reach its maximum potential. Just like in the original film, no one clearly stands out; everyone serves their purpose perfectly. Picking a favorite character is impossible; they all have at least one truly fantastic moment.

Now onto the less savory bits. One can easily complain the drama seems forced at points. After all, half of the "big" moments in the film dramatically are punctuated with a melodramatic score while a character monologues. Yet, it always leads to something interesting, if something made a bit too obvious. Also, the first half hour is way too comfortable retreading the original in tone and in style. It leads one to worry that this might be another Iron Man 2, rather than the sequel the original deserved. Yet, once these shift, the first half hour becomes forgivable because it brought the characters to the point where things simply must change. Meanwhile, the third act is admittedly too convoluted for its own good. That said, it's clear that everything in there (with one spoilery exception) is well planned-out and always easy to follow. Also, it leads to the single best final ten minutes of any MCU film, one that I doubt could ever be possibly topped. Just wow.

There's a lot to talk about with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. I haven't even gotten into the action (it constantly reinvents itself in a really creative way), the truly weird moments (it has some of the most bizarre moments in a Marvel film yet), or the now infamous Baby Groot (he's good, mostly thanks to having the smallest role, no pun intended). That is fantastic. Even more fantastic? It's completely standalone! Marvel has finally produced its first truly interesting movie, playing with intricate themes while still being wildly entertaining through its heartfelt cast. This is a film that should inspire conversations about its flaws and its strengths, rather than being forgotten after opening weekend. Gunn has performed the impossible for Marvel, delivering a sequel that might not always be perfect but is always marvelous. 9/10

Diary of a Wimpy Kid is a perfectly average slice-of-life film for children, which is fine. Too bad those older than twelve won't find much to enjoy here, as it's all super cliche and too episodic for its own good. Its saving grace is mainly nostalgia for the books I thought I had long forgotten. If you don't have that baggage though, Diary of a Wimpy Kid proves to be a total waste of time, despite the quality child actors and sometimes clever scenarios presented within it. 4/10

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl must've shocked audiences when it was first released. An outrageously entertaining blockbuster with a setting no others truly touch, it stands out thanks to the tight script and memorable characters. Verbinski stages every action scene with clever jokes and fantastically creative choreography. The iconic score gives it a timeless feel that will make it stand up with the best blockbusters ever. Only a somewhat overlong climax and a waste of Zoe Saldana prevent the film from being perfect. However, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl deserves only praise for the sheer entertainment value it brings, as the greatly enjoyable introduction to the defining original franchise
Yes, I'm aware it's based off a ride, but the adaptation elements are barely present. Besides, that really doesn't count compared to superheroes or book series.
of the 2000s. 8/10

The Lost City of Z is an enthralling adventure film. Feeling retro despite never actually trying to evoke nostalgia, it's a very distinct flavor of film that isn't presented that often nowadays. Gray's direction is very distinct and knows exactly how much style this story needs. Hunnam is phenomenal in the lead role, truly expressing all of Percival's fascinating aspects. Holland, Miller, Pattinson, and Macfadyen all play their roles admirably as well. The score and the editing really add to making it a memorable experience. The only issue I'd argue here is some dry spots here and there where the pacing suddenly turns glacial, but the film overall is still very good. The Lost City of Z is a fun, thought-provoking way to spend two hours, and is a remarkably enjoyable and smartly unique. 7/10

Aliens is a remarkable action film. Smartly spending the first hour primarily on letting us know the characters, everyone in the ensemble (with a few intentional exceptions) is worth rooting for in their own lovable way. Weaver is fantastic as Ripley, being a clear evolution from the first film that's both more empowering and more vulnerable. Paxton and Henriksen both steal the show, but really, the entire cast is fantastic in it. Cameron stages the action with the appropriate tension that constantly reminds you that these aliens are utterly terrifying, which allows the climax to be just as cathartic to us as it is to Ripley. Aliens is a well-deserved action classic, thanks to strong characters and still exciting setpieces. 9/10

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Roderick Rules improves on the forgettable original in two very distinct ways. It isn't afraid to go more cartoon-y with increased imagine spots, fourth wall breaks, and cutaway gags, which allows the more focused story to shine. More importantly, it grounds the film in a shockingly realistic brother relationship where both Greg and Rodrick are entirely sympathetic, real, characters. A strong emotional backbone is present throughout the entire story as their positive relationship rises, falls, and rises again. It all swells to a cathartic and entirely earned finale where the film ends with one feeling incredibly better off after watching this smart family film. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules is surprisingly a great coming-of-age film, thanks to strong characters, funny moments, and a truly heartfelt look at brotherhood. 7/10

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days has a fascinating middle section that explores the sheer difference in families friends can have. However, this one more than ever engages in cringe comedy more than any other form of humor. The charm is wearing off a bit too, with the cast clearly growing too old for their roles at points. Still, there are a few funny moments here and there in addition to the aforementioned enlightening vignette about Greg hanging out with Rowley's family. Despite a welcome expanded role for Steve Zahn, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days returns to the mediocre quality of the original film, thanks to a lack of focus and hit-and-miss segments. 4/10

Sleight is a combinations of two competing generic films. One of them is a dull, cliche, gang drama with a surprisingly sound romantic subplot, and the other is a much more fun flick about a magician who essentially has superpowers. Unfortunately, for a majority of the runtime, it is the former of these films, which is completely fine and well-directed, but it's clear Dillard wishes he had a bigger budget so he could make more of the superhero shenanigans come to life. Latimore and Gabriel ground the movie in their believable romance, and they're what makes watching this film actually compelling. It's only in the final fifteen minutes that Dillard's intentions become clear and the film truly sings in a memorable way. Sleight is an alright time at the movies, but fails to really leave an impression despite strong performances and a good third act. 6/10

Gifted never rises beyond its generic looks. All of Marc Webb's flare from his directorial debut seems to have been squeezed out of him after working on two hugely mediocre blockbusters, which is a true shame because a movie like this could've used more interesting elements of filmmaking. The closest it gets is
a beautifully sillhouetted shot of Evans' Frank talking to Grace's Mary about if God exists and the implications of a higher power. This minute is by far the best part of the film,
the only thing that actually feels soulful despite many other saccharine moments. Evans anchors the film well, his intense likability being one of the strongest reasons this film works despite the lackluster direction. Grace also delivers a strong child actor performance, and her relationship with Evans is truly the heart of the film. Despite these excellent performances though, Gifted never truly rises from its cliche script and dull direction, ultimately feeling like a waste of time for the many talented people involved in its production. 5/10

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest isn't nearly as bad as I remember. Verbinski still directs with panache, coming up with endlessly creative elements of this world, and the main trio all still are compelling characters. Davy Jones is a fantastic villain, enhanced by still stunning visual effects and a strong performance by Nighy. The setpieces in this are still fantastic, although the film takes about an hour to really get going. All the elements added work well together, with the exception of a profoundly stupid love triangle subplot for Elizabeth which is insulting to both the audience and the characters. The third act is appropriately spectacular, but disappointing in resolution (as to be expected, although not entirely welcome, what with the two-part set up between this and At World's End). That said the final minute of this works more than ten years after release to get the audience ridiculously excited to watch the next film. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest is still an excellent take on this franchise, thanks to Verbinski's wacky vision and the cast being game for whatever's thrown their way. 7/10

2001: A Space Odyssey is spectacular. Kubrick brilliantly utilizes the pure nature of cinema through cuts, sound, and cinematography to deliver a truly beautiful experience. The 2.2:1 aspect ratio adds to the otherworldly nature of it, and it's truly overwhelming to really go in depth on after a first watch. One thing is certain though. 2001: A Space Odyssey is a one-of-the-kind cinematic experience, one that's absolutely magnificent in nearly every way. 9/10

MikeMyers

How does FilmGAF feel about Nollywood? Any gems?

I know quality over quantity, but it is the second largest producers of film, and even a broken clock is right two times a day.

Pulled up to the theater last night with only 7 minutes to spare before the movie. Knew we had to grab some popcorn and drinks, saw the line for tickets, and figured it was worth the convenience fee. Fandango'd it and walked right past everyone.

It was glorious.

Continuing a pretty rewatch heavy month, I peeped Sicario again. What it lacks in subtlety in its attempt to engender sympathy in the audience (that cop sublplot ugh) it more than makes up for as a moody slice of relentless tension. Just let Roger Deakins' sun scorched vistas and inky black shadows, and Benicio Del Toro's revelatory performance as the devil incarnate do the heavy lifting. Just as good the second time, and still just a hair away from greatness.

After Blade Runner 2049 they should just give Villeneuve a crack at Alien too. He'd be perfect for it. Throw in Deakins and Benicio Del Toro and it could be *so sweet*.

TheFlow
Banned

n3JweW3.gif

tumblr_m1vtzgDegB1qzhglpo1_500.gif

Pachimari

How does FilmGAF feel about Nollywood? Any gems?

I know quality over quantity, but it is the second largest producers of film, and even a broken clock is right two times a day.

What is Nollywood? I've heard of Hollywood and Bollywood but what is this term? :)

Icolin

Banned
Nigerian hollywood.
Never seen one from there though.

Edit: beaten like a last Samurai in training.

It's the Nigerian film industry. Pretty well known for their crazy-ass trailers that are practically Youtube catnip.

Like Spider-Girl!

Wakaliwood is where it's at.

The VICE documentary on Walkiwood is worth watching as well.

Wensih

Pulled up to the theater last night with only 7 minutes to spare before the movie. Knew we had to grab some popcorn and drinks, saw the line for tickets, and figured it was worth the convenience fee. Fandango'd it and walked right past everyone.

It was glorious.

See, you wouldn't be able to pull up fandango with 7 minutes to spare at my theater. The tickets would have been sold out hours ago.

Top Bottom