• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i watched "See For Me" on Netflix.

basically, it's about a blind girl who catsits at some rich house and then you'll never guess what happens next... and the girl has to rely on help from someone in an app called "See For Me" (it's based on the app "Be My Eyes") to help her navigate the house.

was kinda cool idea i suppose but a bit stupid in execution. would've been better if they actually hired a blind actresses for the role. there were some blind stereotypes but the actress done a good job of "looking blind". i have a feeling this is the movie that Molly Burke hinted at auditioning for. It's set in Canada and produced there (where she lives), the girl has the same disease (RP which affects 1 in 4000 people), same level of sight (light perception), and likes skiing. Maybe it isn't but again she would've been perfect for it 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
L9z7LMo.gif

★☆☆☆☆
You just signed your own morb warrant.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
92f01286a286a6ec436a5ad2f706ad8792f161f5.gifv

Been a while since I've watched Memento. Still one of my favourites.
I have made it mandatory to myself to watch Memento atleast once a year, every year. Its more than just a movie, it keeps you grounded in a time where everyone else is floating up.

• Black Widow
  • Captain America
  • Everything Everywhere All At Once (In the cinema): I am just singling this one out because it is the multiverse done right. Its also as epic as Memento, just on a even grander scale. So once again, a mandatory movie..

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
watched Dune. Went in with low expectations. ended up really liking it. Now I'm upset that its only part 1 of the 1st book and there is like 6 books... fok.
i watched it a while back and knew nothing about it except there were big sand worm things which seemed silly. but the movie was brilliant and i'm hyped for part 2. i'm going to try read the book soon but currently trying to get through The Wheel of Time so not sure when i'll get to it.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Wedding Crashers - Hilarious comedy. Laughed my ass off. Ending was a bit cringy though.

Wild Things - Got the UHD yesterday and popped it in today. It must be over a decade that I‘ve seen it. It wasn‘t as good as I remembered it to be but still decent. Got a real soft spot for Neve Cambell from those days. And it was good too see a movie again where the main actors look good without everyone carrying a bloody six pack. How times have changed.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
The Innocents (2021).

Think someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread. Good tip, thanks

Really enjoyed it. Norwegian story about some kids, won't spoil it as best to watch it going in blind like most films. Kind of grounded supernatural thriller. 8/10 from me.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent with Nicholas Cage and Pedro Pascal(He/Him).

I enjoyed it a lot. Nicholas Cage movies are always a lot of fun and he kind of poked fun at himself or his career in this movie and seemed to be having a lot of fun doing it. And Pedro Pascal(He/Him) was also really fun in the movie. It was a silly action style comedy that is a good lighthearted movie to kick back and get your mind off things. Won't win any awards, but I'm happy Nicholas Cage keeps churning em out and has actually done a lot of good movies lately.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The Witch: Part 1. The Subversion

unknown.png

The first hour is calm, it lets settle the characters, the universe and the background.
We discover a teenager victim of something not very cool while leaving a part of mystery hovering... until the revelation of the middle of film.

And from there, (light spoilers on what you can expect in the movie) it goes into Chronicle meets Carrie. Not to displease me. The young actress is very good in her role, and that smile...

Not a very know movie, it wasn't easy to find but it was a good surprise. If you like Korean cinema I recommend checking it out.
Here is the trailer if you wanna take a look: click me. It's not spoiling the movie but don't watch for a better surprise. Up to you.
7/10

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
watched The Invention of Lying.

i think i saw it when it came out but couldn't remember much about it. only watched it cause i have a free prime trial at the moment. some other movies i'm going to watch that i have saved on Prime:

The Wailing
Parasite
Shaun of the dead
hot fuzz
worlds end
the lost boys
we summon the darkness
The Wind
Deep Water

seen some of them before.

GeekyDad

watched The Invention of Lying.

i think i saw it when it came out but couldn't remember much about it. only watched it cause i have a free prime trial at the moment. some other movies i'm going to watch that i have saved on Prime:

The Wailing
Parasite
Shaun of the dead
hot fuzz
worlds end
the lost boys
we summon the darkness
The Wind
Deep Water

seen some of them before.
Don't know what kind of movies you like, but Prime originals I recommend: Late Night (silly, lite comedy, but it has heart), Last Flag Flying (this one really touched me, watched it quite a few times already), The Big Sick (really love this one), and Goliath season 4 (trust me, you can start there with no trouble following along, and will likely enjoy it more for doing so).

MV5BNzRkOTQ1NWYtY2QxMi00MWQ2LTg5Y2ItNzk5NTBhNDBhNGU1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDgyMjg4Ng@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Might be one of the most realistic movies I've ever watched. The acting across the board was flawless. It really feels like you're watching real people at work.

Stephen Graham is just fantastic in the lead role.

Some of the most tense I've felt watching a movie and it's all in one shot. Like I would never, ever want to work in that kind of high pressure kitchen environment. Tons of personal issues come to the forefront in this movie, and it's incredible.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
MV5BNzRkOTQ1NWYtY2QxMi00MWQ2LTg5Y2ItNzk5NTBhNDBhNGU1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDgyMjg4Ng@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Might be one of the most realistic movies I've ever watched. The acting across the board was flawless. It really feels like you're watching real people at work.

Stephen Graham is just fantastic in the lead role.

Some of the most tense I've felt watching a movie and it's all in one shot. Like I would never, ever want to work in that kind of high pressure kitchen environment. Tons of personal issues come to the forefront in this movie, and it's incredible.

Never heard of this, but I love movies that take place in restaurants. Will be checking this out today.

Edit: almost done with it. It’s a much more realistic look inside kitchen life than most movies, but their back of house is entirely too small. It makes it obvious they quickly repurposed some space, but there’s no way that kitchen and prep and storage area could sustain anything more than pub style food.

But the way the employees are all having their own problems, having to deal with racists, entitled influencers, etc, all on point. When the sous chef goes off on the front of house manager for all of her tiny but mounting fuckups: spot on. Heard variations of that argument many times at old jobs.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Yesterday for the first time Requiem for a Dream.

Wanted to watch this one for a long time but since I figured what it was going to be about I wanted to wait until I'm in the right mood, meaning a bit down anyway. And so I was yesterday.
Boy, the movie sure did not disappoint. Kinda reminded me of Joker where, afterwards, I had to feeling I have to watch Disney movies for a couple of weeks to cope.

Strong stuff. Amazing acting and directing. Not sure if I ever want to watch it again though.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
watched Hot Fuzz. had never seen it before. well maybe like the first 20 minutes. i don't see what was so special about it. one of the earlier scenes made me laugh but otherwise i don't get it. towards the end i totally tuned out and turned it off. shaun of the dead is the only movie i like in that trilogy.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Father Stu - as a recovered Catholic I figured I’d give it a shot.

Obvious passion project by both Wahlberg and Gibson, and they both should have sat out. Horribly miscast. Wahlberg can’t even pretend to portray someone from the Midwest, and Gibson is just absolutely terrible now. He just can no longer act at all.

The story actually wasn’t even that compelling in the end. A guy goes through set backs as he approaches middle age, so decides he wants to be a priest and everyone is supposed to pat him on the back. He is a relentlessly selfish character, constantly acting only for his own edification. Some important characters are simply discarded mid movie because they no longer serve to fulfill the whims of the lead character. It’s a decidingly un-Catholic character examination in the end. Which is a shame, because the man they based this story on did end up a good guy in the end. They just do a really poor job of showing that here.

2/5 I guess. It’s not a hideous work of art, just poorly executed.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So....I entered this thread with a pretty consistent stream of movies, because the truth is, I watch a shitton of movies. Maybe 1000+ in a year. But I've been absent recently, and not because I haven't been watching at the same rabid pace. I just haven't felt like posting about much of anything anywhere. I'm in a bit of a hermit phase. But I thought I'd share a few important views for me recently:

Dune
I don't know specifically why, but this might be my favorite film ever. I am drawn to this film, like a moth to a flame. I think it does just about everything amazingly well. The script is the best possible adaptation of what I know about the novels. The cinematography is sublime. It looks so fucking perfect. This film will age so goddamn well. We'll look back at it in 20 years, with the same adoration we hold some of the best practical effect of the 90s. It's such a visual masterpiece. It's only bested by the haunting soundtrack. OMFG! I literally have the shit paused right now, as I guiltily sneak in my Nth viewing as my wife sleeps. This is the film I needed this year.

The Northman
Thank you GAF stans of this film. It's amazing. I didn't watch The Witch, and I half-watched The Lighthouse, because I realized it was a copy of the 2016 film of the same name that I'd watched back in 2018. This was a great film. It might have missed the mark for me, like Lighthouse, as I too think it was a bit incomplete in its presentation. I kinda felt the same way about Revenant too, although for different reasons. In any case, I think it struck a nice chord with me in the 2020s that a classic like Braveheart couldn't. I felt the same kind of way about both, while watching them for the first times, but I don't think the bloodbath that was Braveheart would have resonated with me like Northman did today. Probably because the Braveheart story has been retread to death now, while Northman remains somehow fresh by sticking to a really basic but identifiable revenge plot: avenge father, save mother, kill Fjolnir. I can get behind that, especially when they're the desperate chant of a young boy, who'd just had his whole world shattered. I wanted the fulfillment of that goal just as much as he did, and I think the director did a perfect job of indoctrinating us as the viewer, from the very start. Man, I love how well the casting of a doofy teen as the young protag worked by the end of the arc. I hated it at first, but fuck if I wasn't onboard as he rowed off into the distance. A sequel will destroy the significance of this film. Yet, I'm totally on board..

Go
WTF am I talking about? WTF is a Go?

That is Go! 1999's best film for me. I randomly popped this one into the playlist a couple of weeks ago, because I remember loving this film, and wanted to see if it still hit. FUCK YEAH IT DID! Timothy Oliphant, Sarah Polley, Katie Holmes (who somehow commanded top billing back then), William Fichtner, Taye Diggs, Jay Mohr, Scott Wolf, and Breckin Meyers. It was a cast of low-key, about-to-breakout stars, most of whom never quite hit the heights that you originally thought. A random plan to get some rolls for a weekend rave, and then having shit totally spiral out of control, was a little bit too near and dear to my heart back in those days. I was nearing the end of my uni run. Ecstasy was definitely big on the party scene, and the random cross-state road trips were totally a thing. Everything about this movie still slaps for me. It's one of the best pulp films in the composition of the events from the different POVs. It's so fucking underrated in that department. Major kudos go to the editors on that, as that's purely constructed by their hands, even if there's a script to it. The acting by this rag-tag cast is so fucking on-point, I love it. They cover a wide range of personalities, without coming off as fake. We had every one of these dudes in our crew, especially the reckless Simon, who gets everything popping off. The music also slaps in this film. 23 years later, and I still found the soundtrack worked for this film. If you slept on this film before, give it a watch now. It is hands-down, one of the best films of its type. I hesitate to just define it as a pulp film, for its out-of-sequence story telling. The truth it, it tells the story in sequence, but it fills in the full picture via multiple retellings from multiple POVs, and they're all unique and interesting retellings. This is one of the most underrated films of my time. I'm not talking about review scores, but rather the number of people who didn't get a chance to see it.

Go was a defining movie for me growing up. A true classic.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Just watched K-PAX again after a long time.

One of my favorite lesser known movies. The first half id pretty much flawless, only in the 2nd half it looses a bit of its rewatchability. Still an outstanding movie that I can always watch again.

GeekyDad

Nebraska
nebraska-01.jpg

Watched it with my wife this afternoon. I'm not sure it's possible to make a bad movie with Bruce Dern. This movie moved me for personal reasons. I dare say...it's art.

Very much worth the watch.

Jaybe

I’ve got Mad God ready. Seems like the critics like it but flipping around some scenes I’m a little concerned it will be a 90 minute version or Tool’s ‘Sober’ video

Saw ‘everything, everywhere all at once’ and liked it. Quirky and funny enough. A bit full of itself. Nice message and motto.

Top gun maverick in imax was a fun romp. Loved the action scenes. Some fun one liners. Dumb writing. Bad romance plot if one can call it that. Fist pump black admiral made me and my friend laugh every time. Watched a ‘filming of’ after. Pretty impressive stuff.

I’ve got Mad God ready. Seems like the critics like it but flipping around some scenes I’m a little concerned it will be a 90 minute version or Tool’s ‘Sober’ video

Saw ‘everything, everywhere all at once’ and liked it. Quirky and funny enough. A bit full of itself. Nice message and motto.

Top gun maverick in imax was a fun romp. Loved the action scenes. Some fun one liners. Dumb writing. Bad romance plot if one can call it that. Fist pump black admiral made me and my friend laugh every time. Watched a ‘filming of’ after. Pretty impressive stuff.
I'll be watching Mad God tonight

Snowtown: A

Amazing film. Extremely depressing and disturbing. Highly recommended
cvTc7A0.jpg

Just saw Paul (2011)
A Simon Pegg/Nick Frost duo comedy (Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead). This time them driving with alien being chased by MiB. And it was surprisingly good. I mean it was funny, almost no toilet humor, it had heart and titular alien wasn't annoying. 7-8/10

Mitsurux

Here are a few I've re-watched in the past few weeks:

Top Gun (1986) -via Amazon
In Preparation to eventually see TG:Maverick I decided to re-watch the original. I haven't' seen this movie in probably 20 years. Pretty great, things move at just the right pace, the love story is probably the only really weak part. A Solid 8/10

Sahara (2005) - Via DVD
Another movie that I haven't watched in years, pretty fun action/adventure (with some comedy elements). Didn't know that it bombed pretty bad at the box office. A few of the fight/action scenes have a little to much "Shaky Cam" for my liking, but over all a pretty enjoyable film. (Would have liked to have seen further adventures with these characters) 7/10

The Princess Bride (1987) - Via BluRay
This film was much shorter than I remembered, but still a very great Action/Comedy/Love story. Truly a cult classic, the only real weakness to me is the are parts of the score that are kinda underwhelming (but that is really nitpicking). 9/10

A Knights Tale (2001) - Via DVD
Another one that I had not see in a long time. Really enjoyed the various characters and the Jousting/Fight scenes were really good as well. What sticks out to me the most is the score, at times its a classical style music score, then there are moments when contemporary songs just come out of no where, with the characters in the movie actually knowing the words, changing the way they dance etc. (Its a very interesting idea that is totally played like its normal in this semi-historical world) Definatly worth a watch if you have never see it before - 8/10

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The Notebook

Was cool to finally see the movie that brought us the legendary „what do you want?“ meme. :D
Honestly? I have to say I enjoyed it quite a lot more than I would have expected. Good stuff.

Watched Dr Strange mouth of madness imax on Disney plus and man it looked awesome on my lg c1 tv,I also loved the movie,I hope when Thor love and thunder comes to Disney plus it’s on imax also.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Watched Crimes of the Future and was disappointed.

Very weak almost non existing plot with lots of filler, some cheap looking CGI, and some of the props looked really dumb, like the breakfast chair. Like someone found some stuff that never made it into ExistenZ or something.

Cronenberg made some of my favorite movies but this was not it.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
220px-Jerry_%26_Marge_Go_Large.jpg

Pretty great movie about the true story of a couple that played the lottery and won. Not really played but did the math and had the odds in their favor.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
220px-Jerry_%26_Marge_Go_Large.jpg

Pretty great movie about the true story of a couple that played the lottery and won. Not really played but did the math and had the odds in their favor.

I watched this because of Bryan Cranston, but it turned out to be a Hallmark movie of the week. Nice and boring.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i tried watching Belle. the anime. was bored after 30 mins.

edit: last night I rewatched Dune (2021). i'm reading the book which i'm really enjoying but i was getting confused with some of the characters. I watched the movie again so i can put a face to the name. I like to picture the actors when reading a book. The only ones I could picture were Timothee and Oscar Isaac. Also I couldn't remember exactly how the movie ended and wanted to know when I got to that point in the book. I know the movie only covers so much of the book. so that's helped me clear up some things.

i watched the movie a while back and really liked it. on rewatch it obviously now makes a lot more sense. i love the soundtrack and cinematography. I saw Villeneuve's Arrival which was good but I fell in love with Blade Runner 2049. I can't wait for Part 2 of Dune :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom