• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[MS-Conf] The Halo 4 E3 Campaign Reveal

Looks like Halo 4 has grenade indicators (similar to Call of Duty). In the Campaign demo, one appears on the HUD after the enemy throws Chief's plasma grenade back.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Demo looked awesome. Friend kept calling it "Crysis with Cortana", which does sound accurate. I liked Crysis, so I'm all for it.

On a second look, yeah, it does look a lot like someone read a Crysis/Halo fanfic, and turned it into a game. My bet is that the thing on the planet is a Reaper.
The thing is what they're doing is actually making the game work more like the fiction. So yes in comparison to previous Halo games it is something very new and it's something that I can see people comparing to Crysis.
Cute

Explain it to me then.
For one it doesn't look anything like previous Halo games. From an artistic or technical standpoint. The scale and lighting alone show that. There are scripted elements directly in the game that were never a big 'thing' in past Halo games. On top of that there are new enemies and weapons which showcased different behaviors and functions. As well as a new audio direction which carries an intensity and flare of it's own.

Clearly set to an easy setting, with an invincible player. But the possiblities are great from what is shown. The teleportation, the way the drones protected the big guy (shields, returning grenades). Imagine fighting several of them, on a harder setting.

I saw a lot of potential for Halo 4 to be great. The gameplay itself was pretty boring, actually. Lacking in challenge, all those little "cinematic" moments that take control from you. I'm sure it's better on Heroic, but the demo itself was kinda meh.

WhyMe6

This looks absolutely amazing. I'm not hardcore Halo fan, either - I liked Halo: ODST and Reach, the rest were crappy and I haven't really engaged with multiplayer, but this looks awesome. Absolutely amazing graphics - who knew that the 360 had this left in it? - gorgeous art direction, and a total Metroid Prime vibe with those creative, teleporting robotic enemies.

So keen for this, I hope the single player turns out to be as fantastic as it's all looking.

strong metroid prime vibes.lookin good

^ Yes!

Yeah, I'm getting a 360 again. Oh lawd that was beautiful. Feels like it's going to be an adventure again, Halo 1 status--thank god, the whole defending Earth (and Reach is pretty earth-y damnit) thing was getting pretty old.

I saw a lot of potential for Halo 4 to be great. The gameplay itself was pretty boring, actually. Lacking in challenge, all those little "cinematic" moments that take control from you. I'm sure it's better on Heroic, but the demo itself was kinda meh.

It looks amazing visually, but yes i agree that it lacked in challenge. Thats exactly what im saying.

mxgt

Banned
Amazing graphics on a technical level (It's why everyone seems to be shocked at how good it looks)
Artistically, the atmosphere, the lighting, the colours are all spectacular (evokes Metroid Prime)
The Story is completely new and hitting notes never done before (Cortana's Rampancy, Forerunners)
Brand new enemy and style (The covenant took up about 7 seconds of gameplay and the elite got disintegrated)
New Weapons and animations
Fantastic Sound Design and great music giving everyone the chills as Cortana's going nuts

Basically EVERYTHING being completely new and different. That's what you're missing.
Now you might respond and try to clarify but don't really bother. If you're so blind and ignorant as to think this looks like "every other Halo" then you have absolutely no perspective of what Halo is.

See, that wasn't hard

Thanks for the explanations and I apologise for my uninformed posting

It's looking great, but it also looks a hell of a lot like Metroid Prime. I mean, even the creatures and the visor reminds me of Prime.

Not a bad thing, they were amazing games and i'm sure this will be fantastic...

Biggzy

Isn't the campaign designer for Halo 4 also the campaign designer for the Prime series? Would explain the similarities

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
9RGcR.jpg

Isocr4cy

It's been a while since I've read Cryptum, so I don't quite recall the specifics on how
Chakas, Riser, and Bornstellar opened the Didact's Cryptum
, but based on the end of the trailer and how it basically confirmed the Didact will show up at some point in the game and how a piece of Halo 4 concept art is titled 'Cryptum', I have a feeling the Chief will awaken the Didact as I don't think the Didact could still otherwise be alive for 100,000 years.

Fuckin' HYPED.

So is this still sandbox Halo or is it meant to be a more linear game? I imagine that's how they're able to attain the visual excellence they have.

Waaghals

This was by far the most interesting game of the whole conference.

I just hope that the gameplay section isn't representative of the whole game, was a bit to linear and scripted. (they probably picked that are because it demos well in front of an audience).

Grinchy

Banned
343 has taken a huge shit all over anything Bungie was able to achieve graphically. This looks very good.

Trickster

Obviously it wasn't being played on a hard difficulty...I'm talking about the teleportation, the little mini drone that threw the grenade back.

edit: I should've said it looks like the ai has the potential to be very challenging.

Thought the same thing. Teleporting, the shield, grendage bouncing drone. And that was just a 1 on 1 battle. Imagine a bigger battle with a couple of those guys, a dozen smaller ones, and several vehicles. Shit gonna be awesome.

So is this still sandbox Halo or is it meant to be a more linear game? I imagine that's how they're able to attain the visual excellence they have.

I believe they stated that there will be more sandbox elements than any other halo game. Forget if they were talking about campaign though.

DJ88

These 3 gifs posted together really show off the amazing art direction this game has. The contrast of colors and lighting is just stunning. Every other game has the same, boring, bland, uninspired art, but this is just gorgeous. 343 showing its not always about pure raw graphics output, and it's no slouch even in that regard.

KageMaru

Game looked amazing, even better than I expected, where are the people that said this looked like Halo 3? =p

Was also really surprised they showed off the new enemy, I figured they would wait until we played it to reveal them.

Although, I have to say, I didn't care for the scripted events that played out a couple times. They weren't really necessary IMO.

The absolute highlight of the MS conference.

Looked amazing. Halo never looked better.

this is the only game i will probaly buy for 360.

What a SHITE show this was.

Lol. That really was a terrible show. Msoft are clearly getting ready for next gen while positioning the 360 to continue to be a inexpensive media option for the living room.

H4 is the only thing Ill probably play on my 360 this year but doesn't matter since it looks like GOTY.

Top Bottom