• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[MS-Conf] The Halo 4 E3 Campaign Reveal

The absolute highlight of the MS conference.

Looked amazing. Halo never looked better.

this is the only game i will probaly buy for 360.

What a SHITE show this was.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Holy crap, the MP footage looks just as stunning as the campaign stuff.

Fjordson

Looked so good. Damn. Really an awesom demo.

Cortana's voice sounded a little off in spots, though. Dunno why. Is it the same actress as always?

harSon

Banned
Not really, the Tomb Raider one for example had a lot of non stop action and there seemed to be more of a "struggle" from the guy playing even tho he probably cant die anyway. But the enemies still seemed fierce. In the Halo one, he seemed to have it on "enemies hardly shoot back" which makes it look a little too easy even for a demo.

I'm pretty sure there was God Mode enabled in the presentation. Dude was at zero life for half of the presentation.

∀ Narayan;38499367 said:
I'm curious about this as well. Visually, this game seems way beyond anything I've seen on the system so far.

That's because MS doesn't have the same level of first party talent that Sony does. That has changed with 343 at the helm now. Too bad MS hasnt placed the same level of importance on first party game that Sony has.

mxgt

Banned
I don't understand why people think this looks so amazing but criticise COD for being the same.

Looks just like previous Halo games to me. What am I missing?

Very serious, besides fancy lightin what exactly was exciting about that demo?

Looked more like Halo 1 where you have to figure out how to kill each enemy. (metroid prime vibes big time) that is interesting to me Vs. that blops demo where shit was going off all over and explosions were happening every 3 seconds.

I'm pretty sure there was God Mode enabled in the presentation. Dude was at zero life for half of the presentation.

lol i didnt notice that. The enemies to me just didn't seem that aggressive overall. I mean, the guy barely moved at all but hey, maybe its just that part of the game.

Tunavi

Banned
those grenade suckers can suck your armor abilities too, seems like

MV5Xk.png

Omega

Banned
am i missing something? why is there covenant?

They're not the Covenant.

Some Elites still hold resentment towards humans and want to continue waging war against us. Other Elites want to rebuild and are also at war with the Brutes because they want revenge.

Why wouldn't their be Covenant anyway? It's not like we killed every single one of them..

DJ88

The B roll footage looks freaking incredible! So clean and crisp! Awesome environments, effects, the sounds, transforming weapons, all so much quality. These days where I don't play or get excited for games as much as I used to, Halo is the one game that always does it for me.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Holy shit is this is what 343i can achieve on the 360 fuck'n think of what they could do on Durango! OMFG shit looks ridiculous in terms of lighting and particle effects.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I don't understand why people think this looks so amazing but criticise COD for being the same.

You could not be more wrong. None of the previous Halo's have pulled off anything you've seen in that demo.

Couple more things:

The flame dogs and Ghost Rider rejects look ridiculous, but I'm willing to set aside my distaste for now.

I noticed that items and armor abilities are displayed though the use of abstract icons. If there's one thing Reach did correctly, it was having easily defined abilities at just a glance. A running Spartan means Sprint, a armor locked Spartan meant Armor Lock. What the fuck is a cube supposed to represent in Halo 4? It's going back to the bad design of the equipment in Halo 3. Bad choice.

the landscape scenes looked BREATHTAKING

but didn't like the enemies and in Jungle much

---
the live action was really good for being a game tie-in too; I think it has cost a lot

Just amazing. Everything about the art, lighting and direction reeks of some great talents, cohesive vision and professionalism.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
From the B-Roll, it appears the player's AA (or whatever the cube is with the circle around it) was regenerating as he gained medals or killed people. Or maybe it was segmented regeneration.

The SMG-like gun is called the Storm Rifle.

The person at 1:29 appears to be wielding a Carbine.

Demo looked awesome. Friend kept calling it "Crysis with Cortana", which does sound accurate. I liked Crysis, so I'm all for it.

On a second look, yeah, it does look a lot like someone read a Crysis/Halo fanfic, and turned it into a game. My bet is that the thing on the planet is a Reaper.

mxgt

Banned
Not much to explain. Graphically it looks insanely better, the artistic direction looks insanely better, the sound is way better, the ai looks different and challenging, the guns look better. Just better.

Eh, I'm not a huge Halo fan and played Reach when it came out but nothing here really blows me away

I'm just wondering why everyone is so excited, didn't expect such a defensive reaction to my comments, kind of amusing.

Eh, I'm not a huge Halo fan and played Reach when it came out but nothing here really blows me away

I'm just wondering why everyone is so excited, didn't expect such a defensive reaction to my comments, kind of amusing.

We just want you to see what we see, I guess.

GhaleonEB

Did you watch the same demo I did?

Clearly set to an easy setting, with an invincible player. But the possiblities are great from what is shown. The teleportation, the way the drones protected the big guy (shields, returning grenades). Imagine fighting several of them, on a harder setting.

You comments came off as rather foolish. What's on display here is a marked step up from the previous games and makes a host of changes in addition to a great deal of new content.

Cake Boss

Banned
Have not been interested this much into a Halo game since 2 and that remains my favorite. This looks good and refreshing, deeply needed it for this franchise.

COD in general is usually completely linear SP wise. Although BO2 did seem to give you "choices" now (at that sniper part) that weren't there before. In Halo4, that section is pretty scripted sure, but overall Halo games are a lot more open ended and you can usually tackle battles how you want to do it. You can attack from far, get up close, use a vehicle etc. The game leaves "how you enter the battle" up to you...for the most part. In COD tho, even when you have choices, it tells you which guns to use, whether you're getting into a vehicle or not (that's semi controllable) etc.. COD is always super controlled and you get the same experience every time. With Halo, it changes depending on how you wanna tackle the mission. All COD does, is change the guns or vehicles you use in the scripted events.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Because it's a pretty big departure for how Halo feels. It's very atmospheric reminiscent of Metroid Prime. It looks good.

Cute

Explain it to me then.
Amazing graphics on a technical level (It's why everyone seems to be shocked at how good it looks)
Artistically, the atmosphere, the lighting, the colours are all spectacular (evokes Metroid Prime)
The Story is completely new and hitting notes never done before (Cortana's Rampancy, Forerunners)
Brand new enemy and style (The covenant took up about 7 seconds of gameplay and the elite got disintegrated)
New Weapons and animations
Fantastic Sound Design and great music giving everyone the chills as Cortana's going nuts

Basically EVERYTHING being completely new and different. That's what you're missing.
Now you might respond and try to clarify but don't really bother. If you're so blind and ignorant as to think this looks like "every other Halo" then you have absolutely no perspective of what Halo is.

Top Bottom