• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS Gamer's Day - May 13th - Update Thread (OP continues on Post #6)

Dave Long

Banned
That Banjo game looks just as inaccessible as every other game they've put out since Microsoft bought the company. I predict bomba. 360 owners don't want these kinds of games. They've proven that with their wallets time and time again and I don't know why Microsoft lets this Rare charade continue.

batbeg

Wireds write-up has me jonesin for this game so bad that it hurts. Like I said, I never liked the Banjo games, but there's something very primitive about my desire for construction games (Boom Blox and hopefully Blast Works are taking care of this right now).

tak said:

It's in the video.

Hell, I even had a picture of it that's been quoted a couple of times.

Edit:
1zx3ztl.png

tanod

when is my burrito
duckroll said:
So, aside from incompetence, which we can hardly NOT expect from Silicon Knights, what other factors could have resulted in the removal of local co-op, and a reduction of 4 player online co-op to 2 players?

My guesses:
New engine.
P2P network code.

Jim

Doodis said:
I've been following this game since day one, and if there really is no 4-player co-op, it's a gigantic let-down. The whole point of having the different classes to me was that you could work together MMO-style. Major disappointment.

Confirmed from the info today:

Too Human Spring Showcase Fact Sheet said:
Shared experience. Conquer the world of "Too Human" alone or with friends in advanced, online two-player co-op gameplay through the Xbox LIVE service. Online co-op play requires Xbox LIVE Gold Membership.

FirewalkR

tanod said:
Alan Wake is MS's version of Kill Zone 2 except we know even less about it. Kind of disappointing.

More like MS's Heavy Rain. :) And I think all Alan Wake media so far has been from the pc version, so we have seen even less of Alan Wake than Heavy Rain. :lol

CPaladino

Xbox Community Team
Co-Optimus had an interview with him go up this morning, and one of the questions they asked was about 2 vs. 4 (page 5 of the interview)

Denis - from the interview:
We have reduced it to 2-player co-op. The reason we did that is we looked at it, and the way the game is really frantic, and when you have a lot of guys zooming around. We weren't sure that would play out the best. There were also all kinds of balancing issues. That's where we are spending the majority of our time now. People say it looks finished, but we are balancing the RPG system. In order to do it right, and make sure co-op is the best it could be, right now we have it at 2 players. We though that was the absolute right thing to do for the game, and from a gamers point of view....

With 4 players, it would be too hectic. Once you get hands-on with Too Human you may actually agree 4 players would be pretty chaotic to figure out what the hell is going on.

Dirtbag

duckroll said:
So, aside from incompetence, which we can hardly NOT expect from Silicon Knights, what other factors could have resulted in the removal of local co-op, and a reduction of 4 player online co-op to 2 players?

I've got to say, I'm pretty disappointed by the 4 player online coop to 2 player. I've never been much of a fan of Dyack so I won't say anything more.

Emiru

Banned
Ghost said:
Is this right?

Gears (UE3) September(ish) 2008 = 4 Player Co-op
Too Human (Not UE3) August 2008 = Not 4 player co-op

Edit: oh wait sorry I thought 4 player coop was confirmed for gears, oops. Never mind.
gamerscore blog says nov

hahaha, that BK vid looked cool...damn I like it...the concept are cool, the graphics are really nice (though maybe lacking in effects) the levels look great...

DuckRacer

BenjaminBirdie said:
Like I said, I'm really curious to see an explanation how this mechanic is any different than a Bee Suit or a Ghost Suit, except in that it is so much more versatile, customizable, and (I guess in that case) better?
The difference is that those suits are only in certain levels and aren't used all the time in those levels. The bulk of SMG is still platforming. I know Rare wants to show off their vehicle feature, plus I saw a few seconds of platforming in that trailer, but even still it looks like a vehicle playground with a bit of platforming thrown in, when ideally it should be the other way around. Iono.

tak

batbeg said:
Wireds write-up has me jonesin for this game so bad that it hurts. Like I said, I never liked the Banjo games, but there's something very primitive about my desire for construction games (Boom Blox and hopefully Blast Works are taking care of this right now).

It's in the video.

Hell, I even had a picture of it that's been quoted a couple of times.

Edit:
1zx3ztl.png
I'm more going wat to the fact you can drive the frigging thing! It's huge! Image what you can build!

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
batbeg said:
I've lost any interest in Too Human now. I only cared if there was local co-op, and no local co-op = no sale :-\

But Banjo looks SUPER fun. Not nearly as graphically impressive as people were making it out to be, but very pretty and super awesome looking.

Keep your local co-op I actually want the game to look good, split screen sucks balls.

FabCam

Not really digging the Banjo trailer. I'm assuming it was a trailer mainly showing off the vehicle portions and that the game will still be a platformer. Animations weren't too good, neither was the frame rate :/

methodman

Banned
batbeg said:

As a fan of the previous Banjo games, I feel the exact opposite way (not surprising, since the banjo games were great platformers). I'll probably still cop it though.

Grecco

Sorry I dont buy the "too hectic thing"

When you make comparisons to Diablo and PSO and give specific classes i expect them all in.

The too hectic thing sounds like an excuse to me. Dont wanna say crunch time to get it out on shelves.

soldat7 said:
Holy holy holy holy holy holy....

....I want Banjo more than Gears now.

I actually want them all, and I can't believe three such accomplished and/or varied and/or innovative titles are all coming out around the same time for the same box.

Those impressions sold me on Banjo so much harder than the video.

GhaleonEB

gregor7777 said:

Clearly the inspiration for the Brumak design.

Also, the lack of local co-op on Too Human, and reduction of online play from 4 to 2, has removed the game from my list. I wanted to play though it with my kid, and roll with some of the crew I played through Halo with. Very disappointed.

I'm adding Banjo on the list though, as it looks like a hoot. I've never played the other games so I don't have a baseline for where the series came from, but I thought the video looks like fun.

I'm tentatively adding Viva since they are adding a more accessible mode, presumably for kids. My daughter loved the characters, style and premise but it was too difficult for her.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
FabCam said:
Not really digging the Banjo trailer. I'm assuming it was a trailer mainly showing off the vehicle portions and that the game will still be a platformer. Animations weren't too good, neither was the frame rate :/

I'm really pumped based on the video but yeah, framerate sucked.

NeXuSDK said:
But how is this not platformer-like gameplay? Does that really have to rely on the characters abilities? Or can it actually rely on vehicle abilities... abilities you construct yourself.

You can't please everyone I guess, as long as the number of people that are genuinely not happy is in the minority you're fine. Personally I'm waaaaay more hyped about it than I was before.

Struct09

CPaladino said:
With 4 players, it would be too hectic. Once you get hands-on with Too Human you may actually agree 4 players would be pretty chaotic to figure out what the hell is going on.

Still a bummer. One of the selling points was that it would be 4 player co-op, which implied that the game was tailored towards that experience. This is a case where they shouldn't have announced an ambitious feature if the game wasn't balanced for it :-/

hiryu

tinfoilhatman said:
Keep your local co-op I actually want the game to look good, split screen sucks balls.

Why would local co-op have to be split screen? This is basically a diablo/brawler it would work perfectly fine on the same screen.

duckroll

CPaladino said:
Co-Optimus had an interview with him go up this morning, and one of the questions they asked was about 2 vs. 4 (page 5 of the interview)

Wow! So now it's "too hard" for them to balance a feature that was part of the foundation of the game design spec? Awesome Denis! Just like it's too hard and time consuming to fit any VR Missions on Twin Snakes because doing a straight port was just SO HARD right? :lol :lol :lol

batbeg

tinfoilhatman said:

Good for you, I just like to play games with friends next to me. For me, I now have no interest, and apparently more options = bad, as so many games these days are neglecting local multiplayer :-\

Plus, split-screen? Have you ever played a dungeon crawler?

C4Lukins

I would guess that any chance Too Human had of being a big hit just flew out the window. Luckily for the few people that do pick it up, hectic multiplayer will not be a problem. What a complete letdown.

Emiru

Banned
Dever said:
Yeah, not really feeling the Banjo trailer... Probably because of the framerate and animations. Also not really sure about the way the vehicle combat looked. Making your own contraptions still looks awesome though.
wtf is wrong with the animations? Srsly what the fuck is wrong with you people?

clashfan

CPaladino said:

Thanks for the info...

Does Ninja Blade exist?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
duckroll said:
Wow! So now it's "too hard" for them to balance a feature that was part of the foundation of the game design spec? Awesome Denis! Just like it's too hard and time consuming to fit any VR Missions on Twin Snakes because doing a straight port was just SO HARD right? :lol :lol :lol
:lol

soldat7

CPaladino said:

I've done 4-player coop in Halo 3 only a handful of times. Getting 3 of your friends to consistently play through the game with you is a pain in the butt.

I'm sure Too Human will actually play better with only 2.

harSon

Banned
CPaladino said:

Fuck you Dennis Dyack. I've been fucking hyped for your game since the beginning and you shit down my throat with that bullshit excuse :(

This holiday is going to be another wallet emptier, throw in some 3rd party multi platform games which are bound to crop up and yet again i'll be asking for nothing but 360 games for Christmas!

Top Bottom