• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS officially discontinues Xbox One X and XB1 all digital

Yams

The most confusing aspect is One X was a 4K console. If Lockhart is replacing it, why have people been arguing Lockhart is a 1080p console? People who would have bought a One X for their 4K TV are not going to pay the same for a 1080p machine. This doesn't make sense.

Is it a possibility that Lockhart might play most Xbox One games in 4K in backwards compatibility mode but all the new games at 1080p? Genuine question.

The most confusing aspect is One X was a 4K console. If Lockhart is replacing it, why have people been arguing Lockhart is a 1080p console? People who would have bought a One X for their 4K TV are not going to pay the same for a 1080p machine. This doesn't make sense.

It's simple:

They want the same people to buy the fourth main console in 7 years:

- One (2013)
- One S (2016)
- One X (2017)
- Series X (2020)

For people that WOULD HAVE BOUGHT One X this year, there is

- Lockhart (Series S)

Last edited:

Lockhart is rumored to be a 1080p-1440p console RDNA 2 GPU-significantly more capable than GCN GPU,and capable of ray tracing-hardware ray tracing,60 fps-Zen 2 CPU,faster loading-SSD

Lockhart should easily run those same XB1X games at 4k. Its next gen games that Lockhart will run games at 1080p-1440p as next gen games are significantly more demanding in all aspects.

XB1X will not even be capable of running next gen only games. So that 4k tv won't see any new next gen gaming action via XB1X anyhow. Anybody who owns a XB1X won't be able to play next gen only games at all.

So it's a moot point.

Last edited:

GHG

Sony fanboy logic is weird. Stopping selling this gen consoles but supporting those existing ones with new games for a year or two is somehow bad for consumers?

What about keep selling this gen consoles, but stop making games for them? Like Sony is doing? To me that sounds extremely shady.

• Selling a console that has a clearly defined generation with games that are clearly attached to said generation - shady
  • Selling multiple consoles where the lines between generations blur because "nobody gets left behind" and future games (at a currently unspecified date) will not work on the older console - not shady and "pro consumer"?
Ok, got it.

Some real hot garbage concern trolling takes in here.

The X1X was a variant of the X1 so kinda hard to compare that to the lifespan of a console that had no variants and "died" early. Also, as for MS not "supporting" it, what's to stop them from allowing games that are made going forward that have versions for the X1 being allowed to run at higher framerate/resolutions on the X1X?

As for the X1X & X1SAD being "total failures," I would believe that is merely personal opinion. I doubt MS thought that the X had any chance of somehow magically making up for the vast lead Sony had in millions sold and even said from the beginning that the X was a niche product. As for the SAD, as it's already been said here, I would not doubt that it's only purpose was to test the digital only console market.

It makes no sense to keep the X1X alive as I would imagine it costs quite a bit more to manufacture than the X1S. So now they have narrowed it down to only the X1S and that can be the ultra-budget entry into their ecosystem, mainly Gamepass.

• Selling a console that has a clearly defined generation with games that are clearly attached to said generation - shady
  • Selling multiple consoles where the lines between generations blur because "nobody gets left behind" and future games (at a currently unspecified date) will not work on the older console - not shady and "pro consumer"?
Ok, got it.

Xbox One S is still being manufactured. Next gen games like Halo Infinite will still be playable on 2013 hardware. It is VERY pro consumer actually.

Jtibh

Banned
Your
And yet its MS that offers forward/backwards compatability and 3 generations of BC, many 4k enhanced.

MS is still supporting current gen by allowing Halo Infinite and others to be cross gen compatable. Unlike sony, where the new Ratchet, Spiderman, etc are locked to buying a new PS5.

Your statement makes absolutely no fucking sence.

Sony released several aaa first party titles the last 12 months.

Microsoft maybe one or two??

But lets just look at the fact that after this year you can only buy series x and s.

Of course they need backcomp cuz you cant buy old consoles anymore.

You can buy a ps4 or ps4pro for sure for another year or two. It is sony that supports their old systems not microsoft.
Even if first party from sony will be next gen you will still have lots of third party titles for ps4.

On the flip side other then halo what first party title will be thats crossgen cuz they say that their first party lineup is 2 years away and only next gen so they wont be on xonex . Same situation as sony.

Nah man. This is the right way to go for sony just like in the past.

But the silver lining here is that x series x wont be hold back by last gen since its gone.

Your

But lets just look at the fact that after this year you can only buy series x and s.

You can buy a ps4 or ps4pro for sure for another year or two. It is sony that supports their old systems not microsoft.
Even if first party from sony will be next gen you will still have lots of third party titles for ps4.

On the flip side other then halo what first party title will be thats crossgen cuz they say that their first party lineup is 2 years away and only next gen so they wont be on xonex . Same situation as sony.

But the silver lining here is that x series x wont be hold back by last gen since its gone.

I'm not making sense? You're genius is going off topic by naming number of exclusives when i'm talking about hardware/features.

1. Xbox One S will continue to be manufactored
2.MS is still going to support cross gen and have gotten a lot of flack over it.
3.Sony is not going to support cross gen. Any future Sony exclusives here forward will not be compatable with PS4.
4. Sony will probably be discontinueing one of the PS4 skus because sony doesn't want several skus flooding the market.

Last edited:

GHG

Xbox One S is still being manufactured. Next gen games like Halo Infinite will still be playable on 2013 hardware. It is VERY pro consumer actually.

Yeh, telling people that they can buy an old cheap console and still play next gen games is great until the day you decide to pull the rug out from under them.

Lockhart is rumored to be a 1080p-1440p console RDNA 2 GPU-significantly more capable than GCN GPU,and capable of ray tracing-hardware ray tracing,60 fps-Zen 2 CPU,faster loading-SSD

Lockhart should easily run those same XB1X games at 4k. Its next gen games that Lockhart will run games at 1080p-1440p as next gen games are significantly more demanding in all aspects.

XB1X will not even be capable of running next gen only games. So that 4k tv won't see any new next gen gaming action via XB1X anyhow. Anybody who owns a XB1X won't be able to play next gen only games at all.

So it's a moot point.

I agree with this, and I ask again:

What was the point of One X then? They released the console 1 year later than PS4 Pro for 100 dollars more.....

The reality is that One X was never a mid-gen hardware. It was the best possible hardware they could sell in 2017 for 500 dollars....

PS4 Pro was a true midgen, it was basically a PS4 for people with a 4K TV....

Xbox One X changed the memory configuration, the amount of RAM, they made the GPU 4x more powerful

I never believed for one second that Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro was a fair comparison. They were based on completely different strategies

Abear21

Banned
It is confusing to everyday consumer to have 3 plus models on the shelf, all capable machines, it is the right move by MS to downsize the lineup IMO.

This also points to the same launch day for the S and X now, at least, if they don’t want to upset people—can you imagine the X dropping a few months before the S or vice versa? If they really want to give consumers options they will drop both consoles simultaneously...I think?

SkylineRKR

Sony's going to sell the PS4 for a few years to come. But they also don't have a PS5 lite announced. They feel they don't need it. If PS5 is priced accordingly and the games are sound, it will be succesful so why would they even try anyway? The PS5 will eventually drop in price and then the next wave of consumers can jump in.

I guess MS wants that wave right away by offering a budget solution. But if the PS5 is going to be what the consumer want, it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

tryDEATH

The Xbox One X did the work it was indented to do and that was shift the messaging and public perception of Xbox being less powerful and turn it around. For the last 3 years they have been pushing that messaging that they have the most powerful console and they have continued that narrative with the reveal of the Series X and will carry it into next generation.

This is basic strategic planning as they have basically made "most powerful console" synonymous with Xbox brand. This was a perfectly executed rebranding of Xbox One.

Even though it was a sacrificial lamb from the moment it was conceptualized, its by far the best console ever made from the power, size, cooling, and sound profile its truly a masterpiece, which is why I also believe the One X will be in huge demand on the used market due to its compatibility with next generation.

SkylineRKR

The Xbox One X did the work it was indented to do and that was shift the messaging and public perception of Xbox being less powerful and turn it around. For the last 3 years they have been pushing that messaging that they have the most powerful console and they have continued that narrative with the reveal of the Series X and will carry it into next generation.

This is basic strategic planning as they have basically made "most powerful console" synonymous with Xbox brand. This was a perfectly executed rebranding of Xbox One.

Even though it was a sacrificial lamb from the moment it was conceptualized, its by far the best console ever made from the power, size, cooling, and sound profile its truly a masterpiece, which is why I also believe the One X will be in huge demand on the used market due to its compatibility with next generation.

Its an excellent system with a great design, it looks like a true console. A cheap One X might be tempting.

Last edited:

Kerotan

2 consoles that flopped. They built the most powerful console ever to turn the tide but the slightly weaker ps4 pro with better looking games destroyed it sales wise.

Looks like xbox will end this gen with a limp.

Yeh, telling people that they can buy an old cheap console and still play next gen games is great until the day you decide to pull the rug out from under them.
I agree with this, and I ask again:

What was the point of One X then? They released the console 1 year later than PS4 Pro for 100 dollars more.....

The reality is that One X was never a mid-gen hardware. It was the best possible hardware they could sell in 2017 for 500 dollars....

PS4 Pro was a true midgen, it was basically a PS4 for people with a 4K TV....

Xbox One X changed the memory configuration, the amount of RAM, they made the GPU 4x more powerful

I never believed for one second that Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro was a fair comparison. They were based on completely different strategies

What? XB1X is not mid gen, but Pro is mid gen?

XB1X is for the people like me who wanted to play the best versions of games. Its that simple! Games that run 40%-75% higher resolutions than the Pro, whicht rarely even hits native 4k 10% of the time. MS could have just left Xbox One S to go up against the more powerful PS4 and Pro, but that would be stupid. XB1X was a good decision and a necessary one.

I'm not getting an XSX at launch. Therefore i will have gotten close to 4-5 yrs of use with my XB1X by the time i jump into next gen. I am not alone on this.

Last edited:
What? XB1X is not mid gen, but Pro is mid gen?

XB1X is for the people like me who wanted to play the best versions of games. Its that simple! Games that run 40%-75% higher resolutions than the Pro, that rarely even hits native 4k 10% of the time.

I'm not getting an XSX at launch. Therefore i will have gotten close to 4-5 yrs of use with my XB1X by the time i jump into next gen. I am not alone on this.

Xbox One X software is mid-gen, the hardware never was....

The only thing that Xbox One (2013) and One X share is the CPU and that's just because in 2017 there was NO viable alternative to Jaguar for a console SoC....

Now there is Zen and One X gets immediately killed

Last edited:

Hayriko

Smart choice. Bcuz it'll cost them money if they continued producing xbone consoles. Just cheapen up the consoles and clear the stock. And put money and resources in series X and/or series S or whatever.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Your

You can still buy Xbox One S, they are still manufacturing it. Only One X and SAD are discontinued and it makes sense at this point in time as no one in their right mind would spend the money on Xbox One X or PS4 Pro at this point in time when they’ll get next gen for a bit more.

Also, why would people buy a PS4 or PS4 Pro next year when no new Sony first party games are coming for it? GAF has told me that first parties are all that matter when it comes to selling your console or else I can just play on PC, so if there are no Sony exclusives coming out starting this fall on PS4 that means there is no point in getting a PS4 either, might as we just buy a PC.

I was always lead to believe that since GAF told me no one buys Xbox because it has apparently no first party games on it, and who plays third party games anyway!

The hate for MS is strong here , lol.

MS is getting things right this time with the most powerful next gen console at launch, while also having the cheapest next gent model, while investing significantly new studios (Playground/Obsidian/Ninja Theory/The Initiative)with rumored WB Gaming Division talks and hints of more acquisitions etc...its ruffled a lot of sony fans feathers, hence the concern trolling. MS isn't going to lose the power war or price war this time according to Phil

Last edited:

Dnice1

Which does not imply that developers will make efforts for their game to run well on this profile.
Lol, why wouldn't developers want their games to run well? Microsoft is giving them the tools to support the hardware so their games can have a broader reach.
EbTFavsWAAIdHv-

Dr Bass

Some real hot garbage concern trolling takes in here.

The X1X was a variant of the X1 so kinda hard to compare that to the lifespan of a console that had no variants and "died" early. Also, as for MS not "supporting" it, what's to stop them from allowing games that are made going forward that have versions for the X1 being allowed to run at higher framerate/resolutions on the X1X?

As for the X1X & X1SAD being "total failures," I would believe that is merely personal opinion. I doubt MS thought that the X had any chance of somehow magically making up for the vast lead Sony had in millions sold and even said from the beginning that the X was a niche product. As for the SAD, as it's already been said here, I would not doubt that it's only purpose was to test the digital only console market.

It makes no sense to keep the X1X alive as I would imagine it costs quite a bit more to manufacture than the X1S. So now they have narrowed it down to only the X1S and that can be the ultra-budget entry into their ecosystem, mainly Gamepass.

Well ... do you really think the goal of the One X was to sell a very meager amount of units and then be cancelled ~two years after it was released? "Project Scorpio" was hyped big time. I do think they thought that their problem was "we aren't the most powerful." Look at alllllll of the messaging around the Series X. It's all about "power", which is such a rapidly moving target in this day and age that the Series X will spend pretty much 100% of it's lifetime not being the most "powerful" place to play it's own games (PC FTW here). Not only that, I think it's a provenly outmoded way of trying to market your system. Look at the success of the Switch. Look at how PS4/Pro continued to stomp the Xbox even after the far superior One X was released.

I know people will say MS has solved this by "buying studios", but it's going to be the same thing every time. It's about software, software, software. Period. They need to execute on a lot of really fun, well made games. Their new studios have to prove themselves before we start counting them as chickens. Some examples of other things Microsoft has bought. Skype. Wunderlist. Yammer. Freaking Nokia. Successful products/businesses that MS bought and then drove into the ground by thinking that purchasing things just solves problems. Nope, it's about MS culture and their execution or lack thereof.

We will see if they get their stuff together. I'm rooting for them. I think a third pillar of truly great software/games would be awesome.

I am so disappointed that M$ announced that they are discontinuing the Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One SAD but the part that really upsets me is where they said that they are assembling teams right now that will sweep the entire globe clean of all of these devices by forcefully entering your home and destroying them. Pretty anti-consumer stuff that we should all be against if you ask me.

Simpkin92

My guess after this news:

Xbox one S sold as low power console (s model) ~ up to 2 years after Series X launch

Lockhart sold as mid power console (Xbox Series M)

Then of course you have the high end model and King Xbox Series X

I don't think they will call Lockhart Xbox series S due to name confusion since they are keeping One S around

Jtibh

Banned
You can still buy Xbox One S, they are still manufacturing it. Only One X and SAD are discontinued and it makes sense at this point in time as no one in their right mind would spend the money on Xbox One X or PS4 Pro at this point in time when they’ll get next gen for a bit more.

Also, why would people buy a PS4 or PS4 Pro next year when no new Sony first party games are coming for it? GAF has told me that first parties are all that matter when it comes to selling your console or else I can just play on PC, so if there are no Sony exclusives coming out starting this fall on PS4 that means there is no point in getting a PS4 either, might as we just buy a PC.

I was always lead to believe that since GAF told me no one buys Xbox because it has apparently no first party games on it, and who plays third party games anyway!
All xbox first party titles are on game pass and on pc day one so zero need to buy xbox.

Stuart360

Microsoft disrespect consumers who bought the console 2 years ago given them a second chance in this gen.
Xbox One X should be part of their strategy with xbox one series x...
Erm how does this effect customers that already own a ONEX?. They are stopping manufacturing the console, not support of it. They are supporting the XB1 and OneX for 2 more years. They have to stop at some point.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This was obvious with the fire sales and low stock levels. They will be releasing a new console in the same price slot, so it would make little sense to keep up production. Also, they desperately need to cut down their SKUs.

Last edited:

Infamy v1

The next gen will be worse for Microsoft.

Next gen is better for Microsoft before it even started. You fanboy shills are so delusional, lmao. Keep dreaming.

The hate for MS is strong here , lol.

Sony fanboys in a nutshell:

"Xbox One is gonna hold next gen back! Consoles are not like PC gaming, they're different! lolol grandma will be so cOnFuSeD when she goes to buy little Timmy an Xbox lol One X Series X lololol parents are gonna be SO confused!!! M$ is so anti-consumer supporting this gen for a couple of years in the beginning lololol"

Microsoft discontinues the Xbox One X and the #1 selling (Amazon) S-All Digital, obviously making way for Lockhart to be the 'must have' entry level Xbox, that will sell for cheaper than the One X and be INSANELY more powerful to boot, showing a clear next-gen strategy

The same Sony fanboys:

"lolol what've flop lol, how anti-consumer not giving players choice, next gen is gonna be worse for M$ loL watch, lol discontinued lol hurrrr durrrr liFeSpAn duRR oh wait the S is still being manufactured for now? LOL next gen gonna be held back by old hardware lol"

These pathetic lickspittles are so predictable and sad. You can already tell this upcoming gen is going to be very hard on their mental state and the 23rd nor the August event has even began.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Well end of a great console...the best one these days running games ...saddly MS never delivered AAA games to it...I mean some like God of War, TLOU2, even Nioh2 or Gosh of T. The lack of games from MS is amazing and this will be translared to next gen....

Honestly that is fucked up....

A company as wealthy as MS can't show the same support that companies INFINATELY LESS RESOURCEFULL LIKE SONY AND NINTENDO show for their consoles (even the less successful ones)?????????????????????

The growing BC Xbox 360 library was halted back in 2019...and the One X is discontinued at least 3 or 4 months before XSEX's launch?????

EVEN WIIU AND PSVITA HAD A GREATER LIFESPAN....

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Let me see if I'm reading this correctly:

Microsoft stop selling a console but will continue to make new games for those that already own it. Anti consumer.

Sony continue to sell a console they no longer make software for. Pro consumer.

Is that the gist of it?
You forgot Xbox has no Gamez.

Stuart360

2 consoles that flopped. They built the most powerful console ever to turn the tide but the slightly weaker ps4 pro with better looking games destroyed it sales wise.

Looks like xbox will end this gen with a limp.
Thats not true. Phil always said the OneX was an enthusaist console for the enthusiasts. He even said he expected the base XB to outsell it. It was never made to 'turn the tide' lol, more fud.
Speaking of fud, can you show us the sales figures for the OneX and PS4Pro, i mean you must have them to be so sure with your statement.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Well end of a great console...the best one these days running games ...saddly MS never delivered AAA games to it...I mean some like God of War, TLOU2, even Nioh2 or Gosh of T. The lack of games from MS is amazing and this will be translared to next gen....
Unarguably the best engineered console to date.

Top Bottom