• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS officially discontinues Xbox One X and XB1 all digital

sol_bad

So really it's concern over nothing; anyone who wanted an XBO or even an X by now, would have purchased them. If they still want one console manufacturers tend to produce enough units ahead of time to put out in the supply chain up to a point, MS aren't idiots so I'd suspect they've done this as well.

Tell that to Sony who's consoles sell millions beyond the release of the next generation console.

Dr Bass

Even though it does feel weird to me, just in general, how short lived it was I do think it makes sense to drop it now. Especially with the SX and almost surely the SS going to hit in a few months. It gives a bit of buffer time between people who buy the X and then see the new stuff on the shelves. Especially since they are going to play all the same games. I worked retail for video games once long long ago and the general public doesn't really get it. If someone bought a One X for 300 bucks and a Series S OR X came out the next day in teh same price range and they found out their games would work better on that new system they would be pissed. Based on the stock levels you're putting a good half year at least between people buying The One X and the Series X.

The difference is just all of the cross generational stuff. If it was clear generations, it wouldn't matter. You want Xbox One games? Buy an Xbox One. You want Series games? Get the Series. Much like PS4 and 5 will be, and just about every other console ever made before. New games = new system just does not apply here this time.

So, all of that hot air I just wrote comes down to the fact I think it's almost surely the right move for the consumer.

"we believe in a family of Xbox, to have an ecosystem where you can play the greatest games, across two generations" said Phil Spencer, Head of Xbox, shortly before ploughing a bulldozer into a stack of one million Xbox one Xs

Why discontinue the X so early? It was a legit good console. What a waste of time.

Likely because with complete back compact there isn't a reason for it to exist. A Lockhart will likely be cheaper than an XBoneX and more powerful. Hell the XSX is looking to not be much more expensive than a full price XBX either. Having three different old systems in manufacturing while a new console launches is a pain in the ass, and they don't really get much for selling any of the Ones at this point. It really is a new way of doing things, as every console gen before either had a massive price difference between old and new gens, a lack of back compat or both. Microsoft is banking heavily that having an ecosystem where players can keep in it and it just works over time will be the new paradigm.

"It's a bold strategy cotton, Let's see if it works out for them."

sol_bad

Can't tell if that's in agreement or disagreement at this point.

I guess it could be an agreement and disagreement?
I mean, Sony consoles generally sell like hot cakes even after the next gen console gets released. They never discontinue the previous generations hardware as soon as the next generation of hardware gets released.

Every new generation MS instantly discontinues the previous generations hardware. They could potentially be leaving money on the table. There are families/people who can only afford extremely cheap consoles and if there is no longer stock of the X1X at retail stores those people have to go to the 2nd hand market. Maybe Microsoft don't see an incentive in continuing production in old hardware as their sales are so low at the end of every generation. But they'll never know if they don't try. Drop the current consoles down to $100 or $150 or something, surely they'll still make profit at that price point?

The other issue is S screaming to the heavens about how their games will still be supported on current gen games and how you don't need the new hardware to play the new games. So what if someone who can only afford very cheap consoles wants to play Halo Infinite in 10 months time? If there are no consoles left at retail they are shit out of luck in buying a new X1X.

At this point in time, it would make perfect sense for Sony to discontinue the PS4 and PS4P because their PS5 games won't play on a PS4. It doesn't make sense for MS to discontinue with what they are touting.

Is what I'm saying making sense?

Xbox One X release date: November 7, 2017 to July 16, 2020, so 2 years, 8 months, 9 days.

Not really comparable, but out of curiosity:
SEGA Dreamcast released in Japan on November 27, 1998, and was discontinued on March 31, 2001.
2 years, 4 months, 4 days.

Maybe more comparable:
SEGA 32X November 21, 1994 to 1996. Can't find a specific end date.
About 2 years.

The 32x was dead LONG before then. Anyone comparing the Xbox One X to the dreamcast or the 32x did not live through that gen. They are NOTHING alike. Mainly in that the Xbox One X wasn't it's own system with its own games, it was just an upgraded Xbox One. That leaves the Xbox One line likely having a production run of 7 years, maybe 8 if it goes into next year. Not a bad run, though not a Sony length run either.

Jtibh

Banned
Because it will only get costlier for MS to continue manufacturing technologies on those older processes. Why? Firstly because AMD are no longer on 28nm processes that the XBO family APUs are manufactured on. Also, costs for GDDR5 memory increase since it's being phased out.

Yes MS could migrate that functionality to newer processes and re-engineer the systems to consolidate the tech into a smaller form factor that's also more price-efficient to manufacture...but they're already kind of doing that with the Series S. Did you forget it's backwards-compatible with Xbox One titles?

So really it's concern over nothing; anyone who wanted an XBO or even an X by now, would have purchased them. If they still want one console manufacturers tend to produce enough units ahead of time to put out in the supply chain up to a point, MS aren't idiots so I'd suspect they've done this as well.

What I find also interesting here is that all of the factors of costs consolidation affect Sony and PS4 as well; the fact they've just come out and said PS5 production numbers are increasing to 10 million, probably might signal they're scaling down PS4 production as well, or even cutting that down altogether. After all they're the ones who have been more adamant on transitioning people quickly between generations.

Yet where is the same concern there? Why is it scaling down production of the older systems seen only as bad when Microsoft does it, when the latest news in PS5 production increases (plus knowing that system will also be backwards-compatible with at least a big chunk of PS4 games) would indicate to most people they are probably also scaling down or ending production of their current-gen system too?

And especially knowing MS is positioning Series S as the XBO/One X replacement and, again, it's backwards-compatible with all XBO games, and all of the concern (or in some cases, "concern") is honestly worth absolutely nothing.

Let's be honest here; you were just fishing for an excuse and came across one. Because this is a pretty ridiculous reason to drop out of an ecosystem.

NOBODY honestly cared about Kinect and MS forcing it with XBO was not only one of the reasons that system had an image problem early on, but also contributed to its lower-than-expected specs in certain areas since Kinect ate up a good deal of the BOM (not to mention focus away from core gaming). When they removed Kinect from XBO, nearly everyone celebrated.

You're acting like One S, One SAD and One X are being removed and not only is there no replacement (there is: Series S), but they're not supporting them with 1st-party content either (they are; they literally just said that today were you asleep or something?).

So not a single one of your "concerns" are valid. It's like I said earlier this reads like you were fishing for an excuse to leave and strung together a flimsy reason to do so. I'm almost shocked at the ignorance here. It's worst with the bad faith folks who would've tried finding a way to say MS were doing bad if they out of nowhere announced they were doing no cross-gen support for XBO. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The funniest part is that you're probably considering hopping over to Sony, yet they have literally stated they are done with 1st party support on PS4 after this year. Ghosts of Tsushima is their final massive PS4 1st party game, anything else after this will be small stuff. So they're the ones hopping off current-gen extremely early, yet somehow MS has messed up ending manufacture of One S and One X even though they have Series S to replace them and it'll be backwards-compatible with XBO titles, and they're still supporting XBO with cross-gen games for a decent bit unlike Sony with PS4.

Yeah...you people are basically drinking dumborade and functioning in autopilot mode. A sad day for the forum.
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Man you are full of yourself and by a lot.

Jtibh

Banned
Because it will only get costlier for MS to continue manufacturing technologies on those older processes. Why? Firstly because AMD are no longer on 28nm processes that the XBO family APUs are manufactured on. Also, costs for GDDR5 memory increase since it's being phased out.

Yes MS could migrate that functionality to newer processes and re-engineer the systems to consolidate the tech into a smaller form factor that's also more price-efficient to manufacture...but they're already kind of doing that with the Series S. Did you forget it's backwards-compatible with Xbox One titles?

What I find also interesting here is that all of the factors of costs consolidation affect Sony and PS4 as well; the fact they've just come out and said PS5 production numbers are increasing to 10 million, probably might signal they're scaling down PS4 production as well, or even cutting that down altogether. After all they're the ones who have been more adamant on transitioning people quickly between generations.

Yet where is the same concern there? Why is it scaling down production of the older systems seen only as bad when Microsoft does it, when the latest news in PS5 production increases (plus knowing that system will also be backwards-compatible with at least a big chunk of PS4 games) would indicate to most people they are probably also scaling down or ending production of their current-gen system too?

And especially knowing MS is positioning Series S as the XBO/One X replacement and, again, it's backwards-compatible with all XBO games, and all of the concern (or in some cases, "concern") is honestly worth absolutely nothing.

Let's be honest here; you were just fishing for an excuse and came across one. Because this is a pretty ridiculous reason to drop out of an ecosystem.

NOBODY honestly cared about Kinect and MS forcing it with XBO was not only one of the reasons that system had an image problem early on, but also contributed to its lower-than-expected specs in certain areas since Kinect ate up a good deal of the BOM (not to mention focus away from core gaming). When they removed Kinect from XBO, nearly everyone celebrated.

You're acting like One S, One SAD and One X are being removed and not only is there no replacement (there is: Series S), but they're not supporting them with 1st-party content either (they are; they literally just said that today were you asleep or something?).

So not a single one of your "concerns" are valid. It's like I said earlier this reads like you were fishing for an excuse to leave and strung together a flimsy reason to do so. I'm almost shocked at the ignorance here. It's worst with the bad faith folks who would've tried finding a way to say MS were doing bad if they out of nowhere announced they were doing no cross-gen support for XBO. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The funniest part is that you're probably considering hopping over to Sony, yet they have literally stated they are done with 1st party support on PS4 after this year. Ghosts of Tsushima is their final massive PS4 1st party game, anything else after this will be small stuff. So they're the ones hopping off current-gen extremely early, yet somehow MS has messed up ending manufacture of One S and One X even though they have Series S to replace them and it'll be backwards-compatible with XBO titles, and they're still supporting XBO with cross-gen games for a decent bit unlike Sony with PS4.

Yeah...you people are basically drinking dumborade and functioning in autopilot mode. A sad day for the forum.
Yes sony is jumping early????
Fuck this is the longest next gen transition ever.
I was already sick of last gens life cycle and now this one is even worse cuz the tech at release was already out dated.

So yeah thank fucking god someone is making a move and jumps next gen right away.

The hell do i want to see another same old ac vallhala or what ever else name they come up with that looks again the same for the next 2 years.

I am done with current gen.

We need to move on.

Kerotan

Thats not true. Phil always said the OneX was an enthusaist console for the enthusiasts. He even said he expected the base XB to outsell it. It was never made to 'turn the tide' lol, more fud.
Speaking of fud, can you show us the sales figures for the OneX and PS4Pro, i mean you must have them to be so sure with your statement.
Sounds like PR spin. MS have been the masters of that. Thoroughly humbled by Sony this generation. Even Aaron Greenburg of all people pretends to be respectful these days.

He was the ultimate console war flamer last gen. How times have changed.

REE Machine

Banned
Dont know why they dont keep the X and withdraw the launch and S, then atleast the X can have better "cross gen games" stupid anyways

X-299
Lockheart-399
Series X-499

Yes sony is jumping early????
Fuck this is the longest next gen transition ever.
I was already sick of last gens life cycle and now this one is even worse cuz the tech at release was already out dated.

So yeah thank fucking god someone is making a move and jumps next gen right away.

The hell do i want to see another same old ac vallhala or what ever else name they come up with that looks again the same for the next 2 years.

I am done with current gen.

We need to move on.

So then why are you complaining about MS discontinuing One S and One X? By your own logic, that should be preferable to you, since you're again wailing on about current gen being too long.

Hate to break it to you but cross-gen games will be a thing for the next year or two. Just like the start of current gen. Either you forgot or you weren't around during 2013-2015.

sol_bad sol_bad No not really, because that's what the Series S is for. A replacement for One S and One X aimed at the people you're describing in that scenario. That's the entire point, and it also saves them on production costs by standardizing the technology across two different SKUs instead of one using Ryzen CPU, RDNA2 GPU, SSD and GDDR6 and then still manufacturing the One S and One X using Jaguar CPU, GCN architecture GPUs, HDDs and GDDR5.

DavidGzz

I agree. I feel like there's some bigger picture that we're missing. Maybe the One S will be discontinued when Lockhart is officially announced?

Simple. It's the cheapest Xbox money can buy and it still allows for Xbox One gamins and access to Game Pass for at least two more years. This debunks the $199 XSS rumors for sure though. They will probably slowly be phased out over the next year or two.

Tripolygon

Banned
Simple. It's the cheapest Xbox money can buy and it still allows for Xbox One gamins and access to Game Pass for at least two more years. This debunks the $199 XSS rumors for sure though. They will probably slowly be phased out over the next year or two.
Yup It is all about price and removing market confusion. They can't find a good spot to fit Lockhart so Xbox One X has to die to make room. There was no place to fit Lockhart if Xbox One X was still on the market in terms of price. It also removes some confusion about models. Lockhart is taking the place of Xbox One Digital and Xbox One X.

Xbox One S MSRP = $249 I can see a drop to $199
Lockhart MSRP = $349 to $399 to replace the void Xbox One X leaves open
Xbox Series X = $499

Compared to Sony which does not have that problem. I can easily see them discontinue PS4 Pro production as well because there is no need for it with a more power console coming to take its place.

PS4 MSRP = $299 but I can see a drop to $249 but I think $199
PS4 Pro MSRP is still = $399 but I can see a drop to $299 or they need to kill this line
PS5 Digital MSRP = $399 possibly $449 but I think $399 is the perfect spot to cannibalize Lockhart
PS5 Disc MSRP = $499

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Dont know why they dont keep the X and withdraw the launch and S, then atleast the X can have better "cross gen games" stupid anyways

X-299
Lockheart-399
Series X-499

This seems better to me.
XB1S-199 or maybe even $150
XSS-299
XSX-$399

Anyone buying a last gen console in 2021 doesn't give two shits about 4k.

Last edited:

REE Machine

Banned
This seems better to me.
XB1S-199
XSS-299
XSX-$399

Anyone buying a last gen console in 2021 doesn't give two shit about 4k.
If they want their stupid cross gen for years to come as they say better to have someone invest in atleast an X for atleast potential chance for better performance. The standard xbox couldnt run a cancelled scalebound and dead framerate 3 but you want it running next gen games decently?

and you think the Series X will be 399? You're whiln dog, no way that happening. Esp when its touted as the most powerful console ever.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Tell that to Sony who's consoles sell millions beyond the release of the next generation console.

Not sure what this means. For Sony, if you want to play PS4 games you buy a PS4. If you want to play PS5 games you'll buy a PS5 (yes I know it should basically play most if not all PS4 games, but there is still a clear delineation).

The difference for Xbox is now, you want to play Xbox games? You go buy the best Xbox that you want that is currently on the market. Then you can play all Xbox games. That's their theory at least. We will see if it works.

Codes 208

Lockhart pretty much confirmed. But why keep the Xbox One S? That's WEIRD.
Same reason they kept the xbox 360 around. It still has an install base they can feed off of while the SX builds up its own.

The SAD was a disaster waiting to happen. You don’t take out the Blu-ray player and only drop the msrp by like $10-30 (depending how n where you go), that’s product suicide. The only time the system sold well was Black Friday when it was like $150

the one x is a bit more unfortunate but as others have said it was always meant to be an enthusiast console. And as such it was pricey and people would rather have the regular S as it was $150-200 cheaper in some places.

working in retail the X almost never moved. I had seen several shipments of the S sku’s come and go while the gears/division 2 bundles stood there for a little over a month at a time.

Last edited:

leo-j

Microsoft hasn’t really cared about this gen for years. You see the competition dropping AAA ip every couple months, while they are kept afloat by 3rd party multi plats. I don’t get their strategy at all tbh.

DavidGzz

If they want their stupid cross gen for years to come as they say better to have someone invest in atleast an X for atleast potential chance for better performance. The standard xbox couldnt run a cancelled scalebound and dead framerate 3 but you want it running next gen games decently?

and you think the Series X will be 399? You're whiln dog, no way that happening. Esp when its touted as the most powerful console ever.

I refer you to the post above the one you quoted. You can't have two consoles at the same price and you can't sell the XB1X at $199 without taking a HUGE loss. You may as well not have a last gen console at all at that point. I'd post more but I'm lifting.

Edit: again the kids buying a last gen console don't care too much about perfect framerates either. Only enthusiast really look at that.

Last edited:

REE Machine

Banned
I refer you to the post above the one you quoted. You can't have two consoles at the same price and you can't sell the XB1X at $199 without taking a HUGE loss. You may as well not have a last gen console at all at that point. I'd post more but I'm lifting.

Edit: again the kids buying a last gen console don't care too much about perfect framerates either. Only enthusiast really look at that.
I didnt say have the X at 199 I said have it at 299 then a hundred dollars more each new iteration.
all hardware is sold for a loss its the games that make it up

DavidGzz

I didnt say have the X at 199 I said have it at 299 then a hundred dollars more each new iteration.
all hardware is sold for a loss its the games that make it up

Ok, but if they can afford to sell a next gen future proof upgrade for 299, why sell the outdated model? It will only piss people off. Also, if XSS is only 100 dollars less than a PS5 it will hurt it's sales. I think MS knows what they are doing under Spencer. Under Mattrick is was a different story.

Jtibh

Banned
So then why are you complaining about MS discontinuing One S and One X? By your own logic, that should be preferable to you, since you're again wailing on about current gen being too long.

Hate to break it to you but cross-gen games will be a thing for the next year or two. Just like the start of current gen. Either you forgot or you weren't around during 2013-2015.

sol_bad sol_bad No not really, because that's what the Series S is for. A replacement for One S and One X aimed at the people you're describing in that scenario. That's the entire point, and it also saves them on production costs by standardizing the technology across two different SKUs instead of one using Ryzen CPU, RDNA2 GPU, SSD and GDDR6 and then still manufacturing the One S and One X using Jaguar CPU, GCN architecture GPUs, HDDs and GDDR5.
Cuz xbox wont have true next gen games for another 2 years but sony will have them out of the gate.
At that point the upgrade cant be justified .
I also dont see third party devs supporting cross gen for more than 6 months like in the past.

Xbox should just rip off the band aid and jump next gen day one.

And given the backcomp there is really no need to hold on to last gen.
People wont even be able to buy the old systems and other than grandma i fail to see anyone picking up an xbox one s.

There absolutely no reason for a 2 year break other than microsoft just not being ready for next gen and the rely on third party to float them for a while.

Look ,at the end of the day its about the games right?
I admit we know next to nothing about their strategy.
So till july's show i wont judge.
But if they fuck up i sure wont see myself picking one up for a long time.

And also would like to point out that third party this gen was a joke. If it wouldnt be for first party titles i would have dropped gaming 2 years ago.

There were gems like jedi fallen order doom etc but compared to last gen nah.

So to me what really counts next gen more than this gen is first party.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
48ixpf.jpg

REE Machine

Banned
Ok, but if they can afford to sell a next gen future proof upgrade for 299, why sell the outdated model? It will only piss people off. Also, if XSS is only 100 dollars less than a PS5 it will hurt it's sales. I think MS knows what they are doing under Spencer. Under Mattrick is was a different story.
We dont know if its 299 everything has been speculation, if anything they created their own mess by having this cross gen crap in the first place, their out is having a more powerful system than the S to actually make games on and play better.

if they know what they are doing under spencer where have been the great games since he was in charge...? All we got from him was services

DavidGzz

We dont know if its 299 everything has been speculation, if anything they created their own mess by having this cross gen crap in the first place, their out is having a more powerful system than the S to actually make games on and play better.

if they know what they are doing under spencer where have been the great games since he was in charge...? All we got from him was services

It's only a "mess" for people who can't grasp what they are doing. And it's only something people even talk about on gaming forums. As far as games go when did the last of us two start production? And only fanboys say Xbox doesn't have games, I seem to recall gears 5, Ori, Sea of thieves, etc. The big games take many years to complete. Talk to me after July 23rd.

yurinka

RIP. I think this pretty much confims Lockhart is coming.

I think it's a mistake. I'd kill Lockhart, keep One X in the market (with a price cut) and discontinue S and SAD instead.

Last edited:
Makes sense. There's no room for X1X or SAD once both Lockhart and Series X come out, and stopping production now makes sense as it reduces costs and potentially allows for more Series X/Lockhart systems to be produced

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
It’s because the console isn’t selling. You don’t stop selling something that’s still selling really well.
There's no use for it because Lockhart is coming

GHG

Nice assumption there, as usual. Nothing better than a sprinkling of speculative "Sony Too" when having a discussion with those who are in disagreement with Xbox's strategy/messaging.

The fact is, if Sony came out tomorrow and said they are scaling down the production of the PS4 in order to be able to make more PS5 consoles nobody would bat an eyelid. They have never claimed people are free to choose any console within their ecosystem when deciding on a way to play "next gen" games. They've actually gone on record and said the opposite, the PS4 is being left behind, the PS5 is the future, hop on board.

The PS4 is not a console they are claiming to be dragging into next gen kicking and screaming. Scaling back production of it (or even discontinuing it if they had to) has no impact on their messaging surrounding next gen. Absolutely none. The PS4 had (and still has) an entirely separate marketing strategy which they executed to near perfection over the last 7 years.

Microsoft have backed themselves into a corner with their messaging (and put their foot in their mouth to a certain degree) yet again, but trust their most loyal fans to find a way to try and explain why being stuck in said corner is somehow a good thing.

onQ123

ZywyPL

Banned
Kind of sad news for the 1X, it's unarguably one of the best, if not THE best designed console ever, but hey, next-gen is just around the corner, so it's was just a matter of time, I actually thought they already discontinued both all XB1 SKUs some time ago?

First people complain they will have too many SKUs and cause confusion, now they are upset they have less?

The schizophrenic concern has me in whiplash.

The SKUs argument had more to do with naming conventions to my knowledge. Though yeah, there's a lot of SKUs they're keeping supported for the next few years, by Spencer's words. Even with these being discontinued they're still making sure games work on them for "years".

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Isn’t it rumoured that the Lockhart has less TF than the Xbox One X?
Not sure I get why Microsoft went in this direction.
Yeah, it's rumoured to be 4.7TF, but it's a different architecture. Xbox One X has a GPU on the GCN architecture, while the Lockhart is RDNA2 architecture. Besides being more efficient, it's also more powerful. It can do more with 4.7TF than Xbox One X with 6TF. Besides that it will have a better a much better SSD and CPU.

Zoro7

Banned
Yeah, it's rumoured to be 4.7TF, but it's a different architecture. Xbox One X has a GPU on the GCN architecture, while the Lockhart is RDNA2 architecture. Besides being more efficient, it's also more powerful. It can do more with 4.7TF than Xbox One X with 6TF. Besides that it will have a better a much better SSD and CPU.

That makes sense. Might even end up selling more than it’s bigger brother if they get the price right.

DavidGzz

It's hilarious how the MS haters contradict themselves. "Lol, MS is killing their consoles too early how anti-consumer, what happened, sales suck?" But also "Man, MS is extending the gen and holding back next gen with their old consoles!" They can't win. It's like politics, once you're on one side, nothing they do will please the critics and the ones who want them to fail.

Sony fanboys should be happy. Playstation runs the show don't they? They won't be held back and MS will, according to them, giving their favorite console of choice an easy win. Rejoice!

Top Bottom