• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS wants to work with Sony to bring the "Better Together" Minecraft update to PS4

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Doubt anything will come out of this, but good news though. That being said, one would think they would've talked to Sony before they announced their cross play policy before they announced it to the public instead of being left to dry like what happened

Yeah, that would be bad PR for Sony... oh whoopsie;).

Nanashrew

Banned
You know, all this talk about Xbox Live like that's the real reason or some kind of excuse is odd when Sony hasn't even used that line at all. They could simply come out and say that's the reason and I think most would be satisfied because it's far, faaaaaar more reasonable than saying they're thinking about the safety of the kids playing on their system, when the most child protective company, Nintendo, is on board for this.

It's just been lame excuse one after another instead.

Until then, I don't believe any post in here that says XBL is the reason.

Sordid

The MS account requirement is there to make sure DLC you buy is available on every platform without having to buy it multiple times, no? Like cross buy. Seems like a reasonable requirement really.

People seem concerned about marketing and MAU's, all Sony have to do is get MS to sign a clause saying they wouldn't send any marketing emails out to PSN players and that'd be that surely? If they want to pad their MAU stats they've already won by getting Apple and Google on board, pretty sure Sony has the smallest Minecraft player base overall. Pretty sure that's not the reason though, it's not like you need a gold sub to XBL. Just an MS email address.

zMiiChy-

Banned
Just do it Sony, you'll be pleasing everyone except your shareholders by agreeing to join in The Better Together update.
I already have a(Free) XBOX Live account and you won't have to worry about me switching to your competitor anytime soon unless you forsake BC for the PS5(Steam).

If the Backlash they're receiving is now, it will be much worse when Minecraft is updated on all current generation platforms excluding the PS4.
Oh and don't worry about the kids, they're too busy playing GTA and COD

Chauzu

I'll never understand how people rush to condemn Nintendo's bad consumer decisions and flame anyone trying to reason about it but when it's Sony going against consumer interests GAF rushes to try and understand why Sony does what is does that is bad for its consumers.

Good on Microsoft doing what they can to push Sony into joining the rest into the cross platform future.

Haha nice PR stunt from MS. If Sony refuse they look like cunts, whereas if MS were as far in front as Sony are now they would never be doing this in the first place.

Or.... get this. It's a crazy idea. But maybe, just maybe MS wants to continue minecraft's popularity by allowing universal cross-platform play.

The MS account requirement is there to make sure DLC you buy is available on every platform without having to buy it multiple times, no? Like cross buy. Seems like a reasonable requirement really.

Along with cross-platform friends lists and server management, yeah.

The entire concept of the Better Together update necessitates a central account with a singular authentication and identification system, because that's literally what the update is. There's no way to access your servers and DLC between different consoles, or join friends playing in different ecosystems without some form of shared account. I have no idea what people expect MS to do here.

Both of them are, not sure which one you dobt understand but this is a simple business move from MS, if you cant see that I guess you are part of the Xbox defense force

You believe the new Minecraft update was conceived with the intention to make Sony look bad?

Just do it Sony, you'll be pleasing everyone except your shareholders by agreeing to join in The Better Together update.
I already have a(Free) XBOX Live account and you won't have to worry about me switching to your competitor anytime soon unless you forsake BC for the PS5(Steam).

If the Backlash they're receiving is now, it will be much worse when Minecraft is updated on all current generation platforms excluding the PS4.

But that's the first(maybe only) thing they care about. This will be just like every other time this cross-play issue has come up. People will talk about it for few days, nothing will change and everybody will move one. I had completely forgotten this was even a thing before I saw this topic. I don't play Minecraft, but I'm sure it sucks for PS4 owners that do. Oh well.

Or.... get this. It's a crazy idea. But maybe, just maybe MS wants to continue minecraft's popularity by allowing universal cross-platform play.
Yeah, at the end of the day, all the hot takes on why are immaterial when the fact remains that the PS4 is the only current platform not getting the update. As an end user, I don't give a fuck that I have to log into Xbox live.

bitbydeath

MS should offer to put the PSN store on Xbox in exchange.

I'll never understand how people rush to condemn Nintendo's bad consumer decisions and flame anyone trying to reason about it but when it's Sony going against consumer interests GAF rushes to try and understand why Sony does what is does that is bad for its consumers.

Good on Microsoft doing what they can to push Sony into joining the rest into the cross platform future.
Exactly, it's so amusing to see so much people defending this bullshit because "it will increase XBL MAU, MS trying to invade our precious ecosystem!". This is not how things work, from where some people are even getting such dumb conclusions?

As you can see from this thread already, many Sony shareholders completely understand and accept why they won't get the 4K, cross play all round best version of the most popular game on the planet.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I love it when people throw this shit around like they think they know what they're talking about.
Oops sry didn't think people would take this serious...Was obvious sarcasm based on previous threads and people arguing why Sony didn't allow this update.

Though I'll say that probably a reason why Sony isn't too fond of it... But Rocket League showed that its more than that.

How to people genuinely believe Sony having the worst version of one of the most popular games in history is a good thing for Sony?

Financially it's a bad decision to not play along here. And with Sony passing on Rocket League and likely other games, these are decisions that can literally only hurt them in the long run. Their lead this generation may already be locked in for good, but come next gen this will be something that may make some people pause when considering a PS5 or an Xbox 4.

From a corporate point of view it would be pretty stupid for Sony to allow this.

Again, this is literally, objectively false.

Sony can't possibly be in the wrong, it must be another evil plan from corporate capitalist Microsoft. It has to be.

I mean, it is a way to assert the Xbox brand on a Sony platform, there is that small benefit.

But for the most part, "Hey, there's 13 versions of Minecraft out there, let's make them all work together and match features" is a pretty great goal. It sucked how things were getting increasingly splintered.

This is probably a huge issue for Sony, because that would mean people can buy DLC on another platform and then use it on PS4, which means Sony is not getting their 30% cut from PSN purchases. That has to be disabled, there is no way they will ever allow that.

This still shouldn't stop cross-play in Rocket League though.

DocSeuss

Take it with a grain of salt, but I remember hearing a discussion about Warframe allowing cross-save or cross-play and one of the two reasons given for this was because Sony wouldn't allow it. The other reason was 'cause the cert process takes too long for Warframe to be on the same patch.

I've heard a few people say the same about Destiny 2, but nothing concrete on that so far.

Sony really sucks for the industry.

LordKano

I mean, it is a way to assert the Xbox brand on a Sony platform, there is that small benefit.

But for the most part, "Hey, there's 13 versions of Minecraft out there, let's make them all work together and match features" is a pretty great goal. It sucked how things were getting increasingly splintered.

I seriously doubt that having to log in with a Xbox Live account that doesn't even has to be tied to a Xbox platform is a good way to assert a brand. All they'll see is a Xbox logo they see everywhere already.

The Shift

Banned
You know, all this talk about Xbox Live like that's the real reason or some kind of excuse is odd when Sony hasn't even used that line at all. They could simply come out and say that's the reason and I think most would be satisfied because it's far, faaaaaar more reasonable than saying they're thinking about the safety of the kids playing on their system, when the most child protective company, Nintendo, is on board for this.

It's just been lame excuse one after another instead.

Until then, I don't believe any post in here that says XBL is the reason.

Indeed - it would be extremely hypocritical if Xbox consumers have to sign up to a Sony owned service directly from the Crackle app.

How to people genuinely believe Sony having the worst version of one of the most popular games in history is a good thing for Sony?

Financially it's a bad decision to not play along here. And with Sony passing on Rocket League and likely other games, these are decisions that can literally only hurt them in the long run. Their lead this generation may already be locked in for good, but come next gen this will be something that may make some people pause when considering a PS5 or an Xbox 4.

Not allowing cross-play is not passing on a game. Minecraft is the only game that not allowing cross-play for is actually having a tangible negative impact on the core experience.

Take it with a grain of salt, but I remember hearing a discussion about Warframe allowing cross-save or cross-play and one of the two reasons given for this was because Sony wouldn't allow it. The other reason was 'cause the cert process takes too long for Warframe to be on the same patch.

I've heard a few people say the same about Destiny 2, but nothing concrete on that so far.

Sony really sucks for the industry.

LMAO. OK I'm done.

This still shouldn't stop cross-play in Rocket League though.

This caveat is why every "reason" Minecraft cross-play won't happen is irrelevant.

We know why it won't happen. Sony doesn't want cross-platform play with consoles, period. It has nothing to do with anything else.

Not allowing cross-play is not passing on a game. Minecraft is the only game that not allowing cross-play for is actually having a tangible negative impact on the core experience.

I'm not sure why you "corrected" me there? Surely you knew I meant they were passing on cross-play in Rocket League, and wrote that in easily decipherable shorthand, not that the entire game was being passed on or that the two were equivalent.

LMAO. OK I'm done.

As a sweeping statement it's obviously hyperbolic, but in regards to the specific case of being the sole major party holding back cross-platform play between consoles, they are objectively bad for the industry. Again, in that specific case.

Of course they wanna add the PS4 Minecraft userbase to their MAU XBL numbers.

Oh no, not the MAUs! Sony will be inconsolable as they cry into their Scrooge McDuck mountains of cash after continuing to sell eleventy billion consoles a year.

You're being obtuse in thinking it's the same thing. They aren't directly competing for hardware sales with Rockstar and Ubisoft.

Oh please, nobody is going to migrate from PS4 to Xbox because they had to link their PSN ID to a gamertag an entire one time and then completely forget about whatever throwaway hotmail or outlook email address they used.

If anything, being such dipshits over the issue will force PS4 Minecraft players to migrate to other platforms to be able to play the better version of Minecraft with their friends

I mean, PC has cheaters and KB+M so I don't see how wanting PS4 to remain separate is "dumb". Wouldn't crossplay with MS include PC due to the system they got going over there?

Sony already allows cross-play with PC on multiple games and has for multiple generations now. Further, one of those very games is yet another game where Sony is currently banning cross-platform play with Xbox and Switch.

LordKano

I mean, PC has cheaters and KB+M on the vast majority of players so I don't see how wanting PS4 to remain separate is "dumb". Wouldn't crossplay with MS include PC due to the system they got going over there?

Sony allows Crossplay with PC since the very beginning. Rocket League, Street Fighter V etc...

Daffy Duck

why is nintendo allowing it then?

Because Nintendo does what Sony doesn't.

Again, this is literally, objectively false.

Indeed, all those saying blah blah xbox live logins, well guess what, when this update drops the Sony Minecraft community will jump ship from the platform in droves, whether that destination be PC/Switch/Xbox who knows, but they will lose out big time by not getting this update. This update is huge.

PS4 will be known as the place NOT to play Minecraft.

Nanashrew

Banned
I mean, PC has cheaters and KB+M so I don't see how wanting PS4 to remain separate is "dumb". Wouldn't crossplay with MS include PC due to the system they got going over there?

Yes, and mobile too. But like...I don't even know what you're getting at for Minecraft.

JoeLT

If the key to the update is having an Xbox Live signup on Playstation, it isn't happening.
The problem with Xbox Live being on PlayStation shouldn't be a problem at all. All they need to do is not mention Xbox ANYWHERE in the game and you're fine. On iOS Minecraft it already barely mentions Xbox Live, I think it does on the login screen if you're not already logged in? Otherwise they could just make it signing in with a Microsoft account and choosing a Minecraft name (Gamertag), for the cross play you only see when your friends (Xbox friends) are online if they're on Minecraft. This is basically how it all works on iOS and Android. As long as PS4 players can go to their friends lists and use the OS controls still for inviting to parties and joining there should be ZERO problems.

Of course for this to be reasonable Sony would have to be okay with ANY form of cross play with Xbox in the first place. Which they very much aren't. This is also how I expect it to be implemented on Switch to keep Nintendo happy.

leeh

If the key to the update is having an Xbox Live signup on Playstation, it isn't happening.
If you have an Outlook/Hotmail email address you have an "XBL account" so most of the people on PSN technically have one.

Should they ban people from signing up with outlook accounts now to protect the children as well?

If anything, being such dipshits over the issue will force PS4 Minecraft players to migrate to other platforms to be able to play the better version of Minecraft with their friends

How do people not understand this?

Sony's preventing their customers from playing with their friends on iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Apple TV, Kindle Fire, Gear VR, Windows 10, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch.

For fans of one of the most popular games in the history of gaming, the PS4 is now factually the worst possible modern platform to buy the game on. What is the solution for said players? Buy the game on a competing platform instead of Sony's.

Top Bottom