• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: Xbox One 40x More Powerful Than 360 with the Cloud, Only 10x Without the Cloud

Dany

Banned
Then what the hell are they talking about? What are they offloading to to servers in redmond, wa. that makes the game I play 40x more powerful?

Or are they bullshiting?

Eusis

Wise words by mister Iwata.
Exactly the impression I got, and given Iwata's background he can not be ignored in this instance. It really sounds like it's just smoke & mirrors from Microsoft, and unless developers deliberately make a PS4 version worse it's going to keep showing over and over again, whether it's a huge difference or just a stable 30 FPS versus a frequently dipping FPS.

RoyalFool

Banned
The cloud stuff is complete bullshit, you can't share processing load between the local system and a remote system because the passing of data back and forth is so slow that you can only off-load tasks that require a lot of processing on very small data-sets and that the system doesn't mind waiting on asynchronously to finish. So in other-words, it cannot be used at all for games.

You can use it for heavy non-time critical number crunching. Chess AI, city simulations - that sort of jazz, but it in no way grants the system more "power" in the traditional sense, it can't render more polygons per second for you, it can't help with anything that needs to be computed every frame (even at 30fps) such as animation, movement, gameplay processing.

The only stuff you can do in the cloud are the things Sony are already doing, remote video compression and streaming of games running on remote hardware. But for both of these the device you are using isn't important, you could stream a next-gen game onto a Dreamcast just as well as you could an Xbox One.

So to conclude, it's bullshit. It's not even 10x as powerful before you take the fairy dust and magical unicorns into account

Bedlam

But does it also have Blast Processing? No? Never mind...

This is becoming too stupid, MS. You should've learnt from EA's PR failures with Sim City.

Fugu

I like that Microsoft's marketing team has so little respect for us that they're just making shit up.

Say you were on a 56k modem with the xbone, how many times more powerful than the 360 would that be?
Do you not read your own posts? It'll be 56 000 times more powerful.

marrec

Banned
The bandwidth isn't even the biggest problem but latency.

I don't think a latency of 150-200ms is okay for real-time stuff.

It depends on what you're using the cloud for, OnLive has proven that competitive gaming via the cloud is currently impossible.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard from an "official" source.

Seriously.

Fuck you MS.

Hey as long as you run at 5 FPS this may be feasible!

Outside of that the only thing I could see working is if vast amounts of computation are done on a personal server and it's like you're in a singleplayer MMO.

Trogdor1123

Well considering the bandwidth required for something like this would be astronomical I really think they need to rethink their claims.

PG2G

While I think all this cloud nonsense is silly, it is kind of hard to call BS on Microsoft when services like Gaikai intend to do all of the work in the cloud.

Durante

If you're making up numbers out of thin air, why not go for 100x? 10000x?

I mean, just add up the processing capabilities of all your cloud servers and roll with it!

Grief.exe

The power...of the cloud!!

Beautiful-Clouds-19.jpg

so without an internet connection and the power of the cloud you have a weak ass console. what the fuck is the point of upgrading then, so you can have TV/DVR? lol

Something tells me the people making the claims of cloud computing improving games have NEVER tried to use a cloud system with real-time data and rendering functions.

StevieP

Banned
Man my Titans are certainly more powerful when they connect to the internet to download more cores. I should download 8GB of DDR5s

Atrophis

We didn't believe Maxis and we won't believe you either Microsoft. Stop trying to justify your online DRM with this buzzword.

If you do believe this rubbish (Eurogamers Tom Bramwell lol) then I feel sorry for your impending disappointment.

marrec

Banned
thanks! so this means for people without internet = 10 times as powerful, people with slow internet 25 times as powerful and fast internet = 40 times?

nevermind my post if its nonsense

It's not that simple, Microsoft saying that it's '40 times as powerful' is disingenuous because as other people have pointed out, you won't be able to use the cloud to render games better. What it will be useful for is backend stuff that doesn't care about high latency... it remains to be seen exactly what kind of things Microsoft could use the cloud for in the X1 but there is potential to offload some types of processing.

Bedlam

While I think all this cloud nonsense is silly, it is kind of hard to call BS on Microsoft when services like Gaikai intend to do all of the work in the cloud.
Isn't Gaikai just supposed to stream games, like Onlive? Because that's different than saying "the cloud will make the console that much more powerful".

Durante

Funnily enough, running the entire game "on the cloud" and streaming a video is in many ways more feasible and pragmatic than distributing it partially.

nasos_333

Haha. They will keep talking about this and it will never become reality.
You can't rely on cloud computations for a realtime graphics pipeline. If so, why even release a new console...
Watch all multiplatform games be inferior to PS4 outings.

If you do it right, like upload a copy of the current loaded game level that updates with just input transfer and contributes half frames for example, could be viable and become reality with fast connections

Maybe load levels locally in server too, so you only have to init and update the level state, so you need minimal transfer

But generally that is very far fetched for now, since we dont have working examples

Sean

Banned
i never see anything besides jokes in threads like this. can anybody explain to me how this would work? please ?

One scenario I've read is that a racing game could have a lot more cars on the track since the AI for most of them would be handled in the cloud (the Xbone CPU would only be used for the 3-4 cars nearest the player).

I dunno if this was an official Microsoft example though or just a poster speculating.

Top Bottom