• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: Xbox One 40x More Powerful Than 360 with the Cloud, Only 10x Without the Cloud

Vol5

Jesus guys, cool down. He doesn't mention games.

I for one am looking forward to the XBO predicting complex weather systems.

crayman

What on earth are they TALKING ABOUT!? It's like the ravings of a lunatic. How can sit there and say these things without explaining them in the slightest?

By my money, as long you can play games without an internet connection for 23 hour and 59 minutes, whatever magical nonsense the Cloud is supposed to do cannot be relied upon by developers - so won't be.

Computer

who are they kidding with this? even if its slightly true. What happens on launch day when the servers are fucked? oh right.. Sim City/Diablo III happens. What devs get access to the special cloud computer?!

tldr: secret sauce taste like shit.

They have 300,000 Xbox One severs around the world I don't think it will be fucked.

Twx01l.jpg

hachi

Banned
We need a better overview of what they're planning with the cloud. So vague.

But while I'm by no means personally interested in MS consoles, I don't fully share the immediate knee-jerk reaction here to all cloud usage. It's certainly true that systems have been tending in that direction. Look at the newer breed of web applications: the code and logic is increasingly being run locally on the client (various JS frameworks) but the assets (and requests for structured data) are distributed across a cloud of servers, so that you end up with many smaller network calls running asynchronously and managed according to local logic and object models.

Applied to gaming, that doesn't mean your game would be streaming OnLive style; it would be more akin to your local 'box still running a great deal of the code and logic but continuously obtaining assets (and structured information in response to queries and objects) from the network. It's not difficult to envision some impressive things that could be accomplished when the local device only needs to keep track of the content and logic currently in use, such that other portions of the game world or AI logic might be largely handled elsewhere and then handed off to the local machine in small packets, and in digested form.

I'm not even a AAA kind of gamer but if you do want some hyper-realistic Arkham Metropolis kind of game one day with an immensely rich and complex city, it does seem like technology in a few years would be better suited to achieving that in a hybrid fashion (leveraging local logic and distributed networks of resources) than having some kind of super-box 4.0 in every home. The latter is just generally not where things are headed.

Hey as long as you run at 5 FPS this may be feasible!

Outside of that the only thing I could see working is if vast amounts of computation are done on a personal server and it's like you're in a singleplayer MMO.
With a shitload of servers distributed in a very dense grid all over territories supporting that lol.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
But really at this point we shouldn't be surprised.

Microsoft has built everything on bluster and marketing. That came to a head when Kinect was revealed. They did nothing but rant about how Kinect was infinite and amazing, changed the para-diggum for what video games even were, blah blah. But it was all based on very little to nothing - the goal was to create insane hype in the mainstream to move those warm bodies and purchase Kinect sensors even if there wasn't hardly any software and never would be.

The lesson taught by Kinect is already in place: it's about selling based on image and not substance. Microsoft will say literally anything if they think it'll guarantee a hot launch. Problem here is, Kinect was just an accessory. They appear to be trying the same tactic for an entire game platform, which has to be able to carry itself for years to come.

harSon

Banned
Are people honestly going to be outraged by everything uttered by Microsoft? This is honestly pretty standard as far as PR rhetoric is concerned. We saw a ton of it at the beginning of last generation. Have people forgotten stuff like "You see this graphically amazing game, well it's only using [pull percentage of your ass] of [insert console]'s power!" that was paraded around by developers of the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3?

Fact of the matter is, the union of Azure and Xbox is highly intriguing, and even Microsoft admits that they're not completely aware of how it's going to be utilized outside of the obvious areas: http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-azure/

Maztorre

I love how they downplay game streaming because of network/latency concerns, then pretend that "THE CLOUD" will somehow perform real-time computation for xbone games and send that up and down the network 30+ times per second with no problems.

This is the exact same shit that EA tried to justify Sim City with btw, except the cat is out of the bag about Sim City now yet MS have doubled down on this fucking garbage.

nasos_333

Funnily enough, running the entire game "on the cloud" and streaming a video is in many ways more feasible and pragmatic than distributing it partially.

But off loading a huge amount of processing to local hardware is also desirable

I think a mix is always possible, stream only half the frames to double your framerate for example and cut back the server side infrastructure to half

They didn't even factor in the user's quality of connection.

This Microsoft today is clearly insane. Where is the Microsoft of the pre 360 era?

Snubbers

This is the crazy world we live in..

The Cloud is the big buzz word right now, and there are plenty of people that will buy this crap..

Durante

Jesus guys, cool down. He doesn't mention games.

I for one am looking forward to the XBO predicting complex weather systems.
That's a good example actually, one of our most successful cloud workflows is weather prediction. Surprise: it's not a real-time interactive computation!

FlyFaster

There's no way lol. This is just buzz/hype to get stupid people who don't know anything to believe.

Nice try MS, you silly rabbit, tricks are for kids.

Are people honestly going to be outraged by everything uttered by Microsoft? This is honestly pretty standard as far as PR rhetoric is concerned. We saw a ton of it at the beginning of last generation. Have people forgotten stuff like "You see this graphically amazing game, well it's only using [pull percentage of your ass] of [insert console]'s power!" that was paraded around by developers of the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3?

Fact of the matter is, the union of Azure and Xbox is highly intriguing, and even Microsoft admits that they're not completely aware of how it's going to be utilized outside of the obvious areas: http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-azure/

I guess if you're going to be nuts, go all in nuts.

Haha. They will keep talking about this and it will never become reality.
You can't rely on cloud computations for a realtime graphics pipeline. If so, why even release a new console...
Watch all multiplatform games be inferior to PS4 outings.

I agree, it could be pretty cool for pre cached or approximations answers to common situational questions like AI or other stuff, but realtime graphics? forget it, it's nothing that can't be done with a software patch.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
just trying to cloud the irl issues with this bullshit...

N30RYU

I don't get it.
Me neither... I don't get at all the cloud computing thing... whats it, some sort of cache server to make the game more fluid or something?

So... if the XBone is x10 better than 360, and x40 better with the cloud... doesn't that mean that hidden in the cloud are 3 Xbones?

So... nintendo haven't already lost... could manage a better cloud that make the sistem x50 better, right?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Silly people

And I am talking about you guys

The cloud has huge benefits to games but you pretend to not believe it

City AI, reactionary AI (crowds, NPCs), weather models, economic models, non-interactive water models (ocean and wavefront), Conversational AI, persistent worlds, global illumination (via light maps), and more that i can't think of right now

All of this stuff offloads the computation off local hardware and frees it up for more important things.

So if the PS3 could do 120 FPS and the XBone is 40 times as powerful as the 360..

So PS3 * X = 360
360 * 40 = XBone
Xbone * Cloud = Infinity

(Ps3 * X * 40)\cloud = XBONE
PS3X40 = FUCKcloud

I think games are going to need some serious motion sickness pills

Top Bottom