• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MTV: True Life - I'm a Professional Gamer

Its on right now on the east coast (12:00 am).

They are following around a Halo player (Tsquared), some girl that plays Counter Strike with her team, and some dude from NY who plays SMB exclusively.

Sort of unrelated, but I hate the labeling that the media puts out about hardcore gamers. They figure if you're really into gaming, you must be doing it to make money. ie Professionally.

This isn't SPORTS. Just because we really like Gaming doesn't necessarily mean we want to make a career out of it. Most of us aren't even very good at games.

This is why a show like Arena on G4 will never work. That view of gaming is just wrong.

civilstrife said:
Sort of unrelated, but I hate the labeling that the media puts out about hardcore gamers. They figure if you're really into gaming, you must be doing it to make money. ie Professionally.

This isn't SPORTS. Just because we really like Gaming doesn't necessarily mean we want to make a career out of it. Most of us aren't even very good at games.

This is why a show like Arena on G4 sill never work. That view of gaming is just wrong.
check your PMs dude

The TSquared guy apparently has a girlfriend, but it looks like all she does is watch him play. "She's real good at watching me play and doesn't get bored with it." (only to find her sleeping). Yeah right. I dunno, but if I had a gf, I'd let her play something with me rather than let her be bored for hours. Watching sucks.

Although, I did find it amusing that this buff tough black dude's only videogame is Super Smash Bros. Melee. Nintendo lives!

TheTurtleTitan said:
Although, I did find it amusing that this buff tough black dude's only videogame is Super Smash Bros. Melee. Nintendo lives!
I have been to a few SSBM tournaments, the black people own EVERYONE there. They are the best at that game, no joke. They showed me stuff I never thought possible in that game. I could not see their hands move.

civilstrife said:

This is why a show like Arena on G4 will never work. That view of gaming is just wrong.

I'd rather be labelled as a professional money-making gamer than a professional level 97 fatass orc with a degree in messageboard posting. And shows like Arena don't work because the people on those shows are rarely very good.

pixelfish

Banned
OpinionatedCyborg said:
I'd rather be labelled as a professional money-making gamer than a professional level 97 fatass orc with a degree in messageboard posting. And shows like Arena don't work because the people on those shows are rarely very good.

:lol

lexy

Date of Lies said:
I have been to a few SSBM tournaments, the black people own EVERYONE there. They are the best at that game, no joke. They showed me stuff I never thought possible in that game. I could not see their hands move.

Yeah, I remember reading that in an encyclopedia.

Takuan

Date of Lies said:
Black people have the advantage of instantaneous movement.

OpinionatedCyborg said:
I'd rather be labelled as a professional money-making gamer than a professional level 97 fatass orc with a degree in messageboard posting.

I think I'd rather be a fatass orc with a real job than some lame-o wannabe celeb professional gamer.

bumpkin

I think I saw a few minutes of that show... I love how ever since Ubi organized the publicity stunt with those girls who call themselves "the frag dolls," that now all of the sudden "hot" girls play games. Reminds me of when I heard about this girl who wanted to get good at games 'cuz her boyfriend dumped her for a girl who was. :lol

LakeEarth

Although it will never happen, G4 should show off Evo 2k1-5 DVDs every once in a while. I know, fighters are dead, blah blah. I'd watch it though.

I watched the show. I laughed, I cried. Why does MTV have to insert woman drama into everything? I hate.

Yea, just show the EVO dvd's. Dudes who have normal jobs who play games as a hobby, get on that bandwagon!!!!!

LakeEarth said:
Although it will never happen, G4 should show off Evo 2k1-5 DVDs every once in a while. I know, fighters are dead, blah blah. I'd watch it though.

yeah, that'd be tight. I'd definitely tune in for those.

hgplayer1

does anyone remember BMX freestyle or even skateboarding back in the day? man those guys were doing it for the love and competition of it and to win a few trophies. then getting sponsored was the thing. if you could get sponsored you could do it for a good while and make a little money off of it. at some point they had to get real jobs cause they couldnt do it forever.

now look at where its been taken. guys like Tony Hawk and Dennis McCoy and Matt Hoffman have been around forever and they still get out there and ride and skate but more than that they are making freestyling something bigger than I ever thought it would be.

maybe professional gaming will get that big and organized one day, maybe it wont. but I think at this point its too early to tell and nobodys really done it well. maybe it will take a gamer whos been through every part of the process to one day take it upon himself to start to make the changes needed to make the events worthwhile for the competitors and the spectators alike. I wouldnt be surprised if it happened one day.

ESPN shows poker on TV for crying out loud! :lol

C- Warrior said:
MTV's goal, has been reached :lol

...could I get a pic too o_O

gx31iy.jpg

maybe its just me, but i play games for fun, and based on the two MTV specials so far, "professional gaming" doesn't look very fun to me at all.

CamHostage

OpinionatedCyborg said:

...or interesting to watch.

Games rarely make for good TV shows -- Red vs Blue is about the best videogame-based show going, and that's just a cheap way of avoiding CG rendering for the good comedy they have going. G4 has to try like hell to make their reviews and previews interesting. As more shows pop up around games, they'll get better and sharper, be able to show the games in interesting ways. At least, I hope so. They just had game week on MTV's TRL, and it was shit-inducing, with 15-year-old girls screaming as they rolled in clips of WoW expansions...

I'm always surprised how much people go gaga for video on the net even -- video reviews and full level playthroughs and stuff. I feel the need to see what a game looks like, but 30 seconds of watching a net video of a game and I'm done. Maybe 1:30 for a trailer, but then I'm gone. As much as I like games and champion the artform videogaming, it's just not fun watching something that's meant to be played.

bumpkin said:
I think I saw a few minutes of that show... I love how ever since Ubi organized the publicity stunt with those girls who call themselves "the frag dolls," that now all of the sudden "hot" girls play games. Reminds me of when I heard about this girl who wanted to get good at games 'cuz her boyfriend dumped her for a girl who was. :lol

As good as pro gamers are at playing, the only way most people would sit through an event where people played games while we watched was if the contestants were hot chicks and they hugged at the end. Would you really leave the house to go see an event like this?

Top Bottom