• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple cases of racist incidents reported after Brexit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomtom94

I don't know about you, but if I realised my vote had emboldened these people, I'd consider that I might just be on the wrong side of history.

Audioboxer

Despicable bigots.

And we now have the GAFer poised to tell us the SNP/Nicola Sturgeon might be racist as well (or use such nonsense to deflect from criticising the actual people of the country/leave voters)

If there is one thing thats come from the exit from the EU is that its shown Nicola Sturgeons true colours, A hater of all things English, its borderline racist.

Horrible, vile woman

Sure to be more of the "Scottish are racists for trying to breakup the Union!" to come.

Fun times ahead for all.

Condom

Some people apparently think that leaving the EU means that all brown people and eastern Europeans get deported

Fun times ahead as only more racism and xenophobia is awaiting Europe

Izuna

Banned
Immigration is the biggest reason behind brexit. so leave vote from non white or from immigrant family disgust me, For being ignorant and for being a selfish asshole

Any non-white Leave voters who didn't see this coming must be living under some rock. They don't deserve it, but what did they expect?

Yeoman

A solid portion of the people that voted leave did so for xenophobic reasons. There's no question about it. I mean the leave campaign was literally based around the premise that immigration was the source of the UK's "problems". It has been their main talking point from the start.
Utterly despicable.

Damn. But GAF told me that only America was the racist.
Do you happen to have a link to this?

*Splinter

In what way did the Remain campaign embolden this type of behavior?

Voting "leave" was a clear vote against immigration. Do I need to link to that word bubble thing again, or that ad with the stream of immigrants?
Sorry, sarcasm, I should have made it clearer. Just tired of hearing such arguments.

Disgusting.

I'd like to point out that this does not necessarily have anything to do with the referendum though. Racist violence is common and there was something similar in my (quiet) town last year but its never put in the spotlight like it is now. We need to look after each other and collectively stand up against violence all the time, not just when it fits our agenda

Oh stop. The timing of this fucking horrid attack is not random, the racist right feel empowered to be absolute shitebags now and saying #notrelated is doing this crime an injustice.

Biske

Wait, that can't actually happen right? This is fkin scary, the thought of people like that running the big countries is just so damn wrong

I think there is a very real chance it can happen, specially when everyone sticks there heads in the sand saying it cant happen, we are better, blah blah, doesn't care, lets their guard down and doesnt vote.

This is perhaps the saddest result. Hatred has been emboldened and innocent people will suffer.

I'm sad we left and I wish we hadn't, but must we behave so awfully? While I hope we could stay perhaps the UK, or England, is culturally incompatible with Europe now. Maybe they're better off without us.

Maybe now is the time for some long introspection about what kind of nation we want to be. Maybe we should educate future generations about our own transgressions as interlopers and finally we might discover some humility - and empathy for those who are different to us.

EGM1966

Expected but ugly and awful. Racists in UK will take the vote as official mandate their views are backed.

And given the core pillar of leave campaign was based on immigration and xenophobic scaremongering for the first time I feel myself thinking the vita cannot be allowed to stand.

I normally support democratic process even while seeing obvious flaws but this feels like the exception to the rule: between apathetic youth vote (who hopefully woke up a little to seriousness of the situation), an alarmingly xenophobic campaign as to why to leave and a nasty something undercurrent of English white superiority the whole thing is very suspect.

Oh well: I do have possible out of Scotland leaving UK to join EU or building a wall around London and declaring it independent).

What's that poll for a another referendum at now?

*Splinter

Expected but ugly and awful. Racists in UK will take the vote as official mandate their views are backed.

And given the core pillar of leave campaign was based on immigration and xenophobic scaremongering for the first time I feel myself thinking the vita cannot be allowed to stand.

I normally support democratic process even while seeing obvious flaws but this feels like the exception to the rule: between apathetic youth vote (who hopefully woke up a little to seriousness of the situation), an alarmingly xenophobic campaign as to why to leave and a nasty something undercurrent of English white superiority the whole thing is very suspect.

Oh well: I do have possible out of Scotland leaving UK to join EU or building a wall around London and declaring it independent).

What's that poll for a another referendum at now?
It's at 3 million, but it should be ignored because to do otherwise would be undemocratic

Again... sarcasm

Got no fucking words for this. It's vile. I'm so fucking ashamed of my country right now. Years of political fuckery has enabled this open bigotry and I feel like it's going to get worse before it gets better. This shit feels like we've wiped out about 30 years of progress.

But Leave wasnt racist though!!!11!!

Yesterday at work, a female colleague was insulted by this old twat who told her she was 'young' and 'ignorant' for voting to remain

When he asked her what colour her boyfriend was, she said he was black

He then said that he will 'get strung up on a tree'

Fuck anyone who voted Leave

What a bastard. I just hope that karma exists for people like this, and he will be made to suffer for hating people based on their skin colour.

kswiston

Do you really want to push colonialism era Britain as something to be proud of?

He's just pointing out that it's incredibly silly to say that Britain wasn't a real world power in the pre-WW1 past.

What inner-G might have meant is another matter.

Bumhead

Banned
I live in Sheffield, a city with two universities and a diverse range of nationalities and ethnicities among the student and non-student populations alike. Since the vote, I've heard so many stories from minority friends and friends of friends of the hostility, slurs and hatred they've encountered. It breaks my heart. I thought my city was better than this, but it really isn't.

And that theme is repeated across the country.

Not every Leave voter is racist. But many are. The rest have merely enabled them, however unintentionally.

I live in sheffield as well. I always used to laugh and mock at folks who said sheffield was messed up place. Little did i know...

I live in Sheffield and have heard nothing like this.

Ya know, just for balance.

Look, I'm not doubting it has and yes it's absolutely disgusting. But can we curb some of this dog piling on individual cities (especially those where the margin was slim, such as Sheffield) based on what are revolting yet certainly very minority incidents. This City hasn't become a cess-pit of racism overnight, no more or less than other huge swathes of the country.

Some of the stuff coming out of the referendum is outrageous. There's a post earlier in this thread saying it's like the early days of Nazi Germany. Hysterical nonsense.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
Seems a lot of people thought they were voting for no immigration.

Can't wait to see their reaction when they find out we'll still have free movement and schengen as part of the trade deal!

Well I take that back, I hope there's no reaction...

I have family in the UK. I never realized how easy it is for them to be targets.

Fuck all these Leave voters. Yes, that includes you totally not racist Gaffer who's reading this post. You fed the machine of hate.

Biske

First you try stealing our fatness and obesity, now our ignorant vote against your best interest racism? Really trying to take America's place in the world eh folks? We see how it is.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
From the Britain First Facebook page:

13466406_1065941693551091_5313883973386420150_n.jpg

Oh dear.

deli2000

It's not. There are always incidents, now they're just being picked up on more due to the referendum.

It is. I'm a black man in this country who has had to endure this stuff for my entire life. Just because people ignore it because it might inconvenience them or make them uncomfortable, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

The majority of people aren't voting because they want to stop immigration, that'd what the stupid idiot racists think but the majority of smart intelligent voters just want a better immigration system in place.

You people are so smart and intelligent that you've emboldened a party of racists and their racist supporters while achieving absolutely no immigration reform, which we could still push for inside the EU. And you would rather disassociate yourself from all of this than take any responsibility for making my quality of life worse. Congrats.

fhqwhgads

tumblr_o99gt6Qv6j1snlgxgo1_500.jpg

I have a feeling this is going to end up posted in every Brexit thread at some point. Just in case anyone is going to dispute that this isn't a big reason why people wanted to vote for Leave.

Audioboxer

yup there was no world prior to the United States.

He's just pointing out that it's incredibly silly to say that Britain wasn't a real world power in the pre-WW1 past.

What inner-G might have meant is another matter.

I'm talking about how we stand just now, not how we were tens of years+ ago.

Britain for a while now has tried to act like a mini-America, following America to war whenever we can and brown nosing every American government.

ATF487

This whole thing is just such a massive mess. Everyone will be miserable and worse off because of this vote....if it leads to an actual departure.

The thick, racist demographic won't get what they want because any access to the single market will necessitate accepting freedom of movement.

The people who voted Leave thinking that they'd have more "sovereignty" and more money to spend domestically have mostly been lied to; no, that "extra money" which may or may not exist will not be spent on the NHS and shoring up communities that are in need of reinvestment. They also might have been better served giving two middle fingers to the domestic parties.

The people who voted Remain feel like they've had part of their identity and options taken away from them, and that they feel like a strange minority in their own country

The Leave politicians now have to live up to images of a non-existent future based on an overly nostalgic view of the past. There is no way they can deliver on what they promised and it could kill the career of any Brexiteers.

The Remain politicians have to be held accountable for their failure to explain the real benefits lost by leaving, and also by not doing a better job attacking the known exaggerations and outright falsehoods being peddled by the Leave camp.

I don't see why everything has to be blown up because of a non-binding referendum. Everyone needs to have a hard, long look at themselves; politicians that have been ignoring all the anger and frustration that ordinary people have been feeling, politicians that have stoked these fires due to selfish reasons, the electorate who voted for a position without much information, and the EU politicians for not realizing why there are large swaths of people who are unhappy or at least concerned about the direction in which the union is heading, or who are even concerned about a lot of the basic tenants of EU membership.

But just because some people voted in a slightly fancier version of an online poll doesn't mean that everyone needs to walk off an economic cliff and commit to their own irrelevance.

Arials

I was out in London last night, saw a guy attack a Romanian hot dog seller and tell him to go home... The guy in question was ethnically north African and said he'd spent the day at gay pride, so work that one out.

There are racist people on the Leave and Remain side, this is nothing new, those idiot racist people were here before the referendum and also not everyone who voted leave are the same as those people.

This referendum has brought out the worst in people on both sides. Anger is not going to fix anything and is just making things worse.

People do stupid things when they are scared and a big change like this can be very scary and things might be tough for a while but we have to get on with things now and work together in building a better country for us and the future generations.

Britain will be fine, it will bounce back, other countries outside of the EU manage and so will we. The government need to make some big changes and start making our country better again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom