• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple Reports of AMD Ryzen 7800X3D CPU V-Cache burning itself and the motherboard🔥

Leonidas

That'd suck to experience this, burning up of the CPU and the motherboard.

The other day I bought a fucking 7950X3D and Asus motherboard

iu

I'm on the latest BIOS that just came out yesterday so hopefully everything is OK. When I built my PC on Thursday there was a BIOS version 1408 (i think. this was the latest stable and i installed that) and a beta BIOS. But I noticed this morning than there is a 1409 stable and a 1410 beta. 1408 or anything earlier is not available for download so this might be why!

Last edited:

GHG

Is this just the 7800x3d or does this effect all 7000 series X3D chips?

I guess there being no stock where I live might have saved me here.

Back to considering Intel I guess...

Is this just the 7800x3d or does this effect all 7000 series X3D chips?

I guess there being no stock where I live might have saved me here.

Back to considering Intel I guess...
The article mentions the 7950X3D is affected too. It seems to be all 3D cpus.

But we don't know how widespread this is. It could easily be a faulty PSU for all we know.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Brother, this is the same stuff I've been reading from days ago and it isn't a major amount. We were even asking about what they did and exactly what it was to trigger that. But if it makes it better to write an article and then post a thread on a forum I guess that's what it is.

Meanwhile a mess of us on the overclock.net forums and on Reddit have been going back and forth fine-tuning a PBO and BLK overclock which these things are doing pretty well.

From a bit of reading it seems to be Asus X670E boards that are mentioned.

Also, people are saying it's the same spot all the time and it could be where the 3D chiplet is. Maybe too much voltage?

Last edited:

GHG

The article mentions the 7950X3D is affected too. It seems to be all 3D cpus.

But we don't know how widespread this is. It could easily be a faulty PSU for all we know.

Well shit.

Yeh, I'm going to hold fire for the moment but I'm getting very impatient considering I've now been sat on a 4080 for months for a dedicated sim rig build.

Wanted to get everything up and running by the end of the month ideally so unless theres a quick resolution to this it will have to be Intel.

Hopefully this is just a case of user error somehow in a similar fashion to the power connectors on the Nvidia 4xxx series.

GHG

This wasn't a major amount either though it blew up into an 11 page thread.

At the time, that was major.

Some of us had to pay upwards of $2000 for our 4090's due to regional pricing, getting to the bottom of what was going on was important for both existing owners and prospective purchasers.

Last edited:
From a bit of reading it seems to be Asus X670E boards that are mentioned.

Also, people are saying it's the same spot all the time and it could be where the 3D chiplet is. Maybe too much voltage?

I mean the chipset is high at 70c. Everything else is low. Unless this something to do with chipset temp.

Well shit.

Yeh, I'm going to hold fire for the moment but I'm getting very impatient considering I've now been sat on a 4080 for months for a dedicated sim rig build.

Wanted to get everything up and running by the end of the month ideally so unless theres a quick resolution to this it will have to be Intel.

Hopefully this is just a case of user error somehow in a similar fashion to the power connectors on the Nvidia 4xxx series.
That's why I was impatient to upgrade. I bought a 4080 and wanted to get the rest of the parts upgraded too.

This is the first Asus board I've ever bought :messenger_tears_of_joy: Seems people are saying Gigabyte is the way to go but I was tired of their boards (had issues with them).

Hopefully what I said about the BIOS in my other post is the fix from Asus. It sounds like it could be a voltage issue related to the 3D chiplet and an "easy" fix in the BIOS. They have removed all previous BIOS versions from their site (at least for my B650E-E and the X670E Hero) so you can only download the BIOS from yesterday and the current beta for both models.

I mean the chipset is high at 70c. Everything else is low. Unless this something to do with chipset temp.
I did notice mine was running at ~57-70C. Just assumed it was normal for these boards. It could be but now you mention it...

EDIT: according to Hwinfo64 my CCD1 is running ~5/6C hotter than CC2. Isn't CC1 the one with 3D Cache? Is this normal?

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG
So, it's a nothing-burger. Great.
Hopefully but with a 7950X3D and an Asus board I'm shitting myself :messenger_tears_of_joy: Been running it for 3 days now (~12 hours real usage) and put it under some Cinebench/Prime95 load and my BIOS is fully up to date so *fingerscrossed*

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Hopefully. I didn't think it was worth overclocking these CPUs.

It's possible to do with BCLK overclock. I've seen people pushing 4.7Ghz on a 5800X3D. And around 5.4Ghz with a 7800X3D.
Igor's labs somehow found a glitch in the BIOS that enabled them to push 1.5v into the cores of a 5800X3D. And of course, it went wrong and the L3 cache died.
It's the risk of extreme overclocking.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This wasn't a major amount either though it blew up into an 11 page thread.
I get what you mean, and I also have a 4090, but this is a lot different right now. I've been directly involved with asking since the one user reported.

And despite the 4090 issues, it was thoroughly reported that a lot of the 4090 issues were user error. Just to be on the fair side.

Last edited:
Might be an Asus issue.
Seems like it is definitely an Asus issue. Not seen anyone mention other boards having problems. And it seems to be X670E boards in particular.

Asus is forcing everyone to use the latest BIOS version as of the 21st. You can't download any previous versions anymore. I've only checked the download pages for the B650E-E and the X670E Hero. Not sure if they have pulled downloads for all AM5 boards. I can't be bothered checking.

Hopefully hear more soon if it turns out to be a more widespread issue. So far it seems only a couple people on Reddit.

StereoVsn

Brother, this is the same stuff I've been reading from days ago and it isn't a major amount. We were even asking about what they did and exactly what it was to trigger that. But if it makes it better to write an article and then post a thread on a forum I guess that's what it is.

Meanwhile a mess of us on the overclock.net forums and on Reddit have been going back and forth fine-tuning a PBO and BLK overclock which these things are doing pretty well.
Ooh, do you have a link to the thread? Just got 7800x3d and Asus x670 motherboard.

lmimmfn

I read this 2 days ago, the day I received my 7800x3d and Asus X670E lol.

In light of this I only modified the mem speed in the bios to rated, I.e. 6000, not touching any of the OC settings or updating BIOS for now, will wait until they have a new BIOS.

If my rig blows, it blows, hopefully not though 😀

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Every silicon chip or motherboard has a tiny chance of being defective, just RMA and move along.
Stop trying to turn a Reddit post into a massive issue.
But don't put your PS5 vertical. Or update your drivers if you are running a 6000 series AMD GPU. Or even use your 4090 if the power cable isn't some deluxe version soldered directly to the main grid.

Last edited:
Top Bottom