• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple Reports of AMD Ryzen 7800X3D CPU V-Cache burning itself and the motherboard🔥

Schnauzer

Buying the 7950x3D has been a bad experience that keeps getting worse. I keep having things chose the wrong CCD. Run into all sorts of issues.

I was thankful Jay2cents had the same problem and switched. Now this.... :-( At least I have Microcenter Warranty....

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Buying the 7950x3D has been a bad experience that keeps getting worse. I keep having things chose the wrong CCD. Run into all sorts of issues.

I was thankful Jay2cents had the same problem and switched. Now this.... :-( At least I have Microcenter Warranty....

This was a pretty informative video, and yeah core parking seems like a pain in the ass. TBH 7800X3D is the only vcache CPU I’d consider for a gaming system.

If you have a mixed use case where you’ll be gaming + doing other stuff that benefits from >8 cores, better off with Intel IMO.

OverHeat

« generous god »

This was a pretty informative video, and yeah core parking seems like a pain in the ass. TBH 7800X3D is the only vcache CPU I’d consider for a gaming system.

If you have a mixed use case where you’ll be gaming + doing other stuff that benefits from >8 cores, better off with Intel IMO.

It’s not a bitch 99% it work perfect with the new releases games and my RAM is clock at 6000 with no stability issues like jay and I have 4 stick. I have a 7950x3d since release.

Last edited:

FingerBang

This is why I buy from local stores. I simply return what doesn’t work and walk out with new stuff. I hate waiting lol
I don't think anything like that even exists in London(stan), UK.

Amazon is pretty good though, I get delivery on the same day and their customer service is the best of the best. Unfortunately, it seems like shit goes missing often recently.

I plan to move in a less "urban" area and hopefully this will be less of an issue in the future.

I had literally zero issues with my CPU before it went 9/11, but I also play at 4K

Last edited:

peish

I have zero issues with core parking since day 1, what motherboard or settings you having now? Did you install Amd drivers for core parking?

The only issues i found with core parking if you use Asus per core clockspeed limiter feature, but nobody has to use that.

Schnauzer

I have zero issues with core parking since day 1, what motherboard or settings you having now? Did you install Amd drivers for core parking?

The only issues i found with core parking if you use Asus per core clockspeed limiter feature, but nobody has to use that.

I have an MSI X670E CARBON Wifi. My best friend has an ASUS ROG Strix X670E-E. We both experience the same issues. Wrong cores being parked for a lot of games. I play a lot of MMO/Indie games which experience these issues. He is able to recreate the issues. We purchased our parts at different times/locations. I highly doubt you aren't running into the problem unless you only play AAA games like Cyberpunk. You may just not be aware of the problem.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Why don't they plop 3d cache down on both CCD's? Is it a technical issue or purely a cost one?
Cross-CCD communication has a latency cost so many games run better when restricted to a single CCD, so it makes more sense to have vcache on only one CCD and restrict games to that.

Another Motherboard Dead
You too? My Asus B650E-F died again. Happened back in April and replaced it in June. Same shit happening again and got it replaced a second time. Waiting for AMD to replace my friend 7950x3D a second time too. I'm so sick of this build. Nothing but problems from day one. This is why I haven't been AMD user since 2010.

Leonidas

Glad I went with Intel 13th Gen over a year ago.

Hoping they fix the issues with Zen5X3D next year.
Quick update:

AMD has accepted my RMA request after trying to get out of it. I literally linked them the articles with their own statements and that worked.

I ordered another board of the same model from Amazon (with a 7600X while I wait for the 7950x3D to come back) and, I shit you not, it doesn't work. I need to return it for a refund.
I ordered another one and it said delivered but it's nowhere to be found. Hopefully it turns up somehow today.

This shit is cursed and I'm out an extra £1200 😂
Yikes :goog_eek:

Last edited:
Cross-CCD communication has a latency cost so many games run better when restricted to a single CCD, so it makes more sense to have vcache on only one CCD and restrict games to that.
Basically if you're a gamer only buy the single-CCD CPU's like 5800X3D and 7800X3D

The multi-CCD CPU's are for productivity and workstation uses, gamers should avoid them

peish

I have an MSI X670E CARBON Wifi. My best friend has an ASUS ROG Strix X670E-E. We both experience the same issues. Wrong cores being parked for a lot of games. I play a lot of MMO/Indie games which experience these issues. He is able to recreate the issues. We purchased our parts at different times/locations. I highly doubt you aren't running into the problem unless you only play AAA games like Cyberpunk. You may just not be aware of the problem.

I had a go at FF14 and Cities Skylines 2, both core parked with no issues, with no added effort, even in windowed mode.

Gotta do the usual troubleshoot, update bios, update drivers, do the gamebar check as game if needed.

How did you determine wrong cores are used? You have very noticeable stuttering?

You can use hwinfo, enable snapshot cpu polling, and when you alt-tab out of game, i am sure you will see the normal ccd all are parked

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
You too? My Asus B650E-F died again. Happened back in April and replaced it in June. Same shit happening again and got it replaced a second time. Waiting for AMD to replace my friend 7950x3D a second time too. I'm so sick of this build. Nothing but problems from day one. This is why I haven't been AMD user since 2010.
There are plenty of articles and videos explaining the issue and how it's mostly an Asus issue, get a refund and buy a non Asus board.
No idea why your throwing shade at AMD over Asus not following the guidelines on motherboard design.

Danknugz

no i was just cracking a joke but RIP sorry for your loss

Schnauzer

I had a go at FF14 and Cities Skylines 2, both core parked with no issues, with no added effort, even in windowed mode.

Gotta do the usual troubleshoot, update bios, update drivers, do the gamebar check as game if needed.

How did you determine wrong cores are used? You have very noticeable stuttering?

You can use hwinfo, enable snapshot cpu polling, and when you alt-tab out of game, i am sure you will see the normal ccd all are parked

We play different games. I play BDO, GW2, and indie games. I have issues with both.

I have updated the bios, drivers, and Game Bar is setup correctly. The worst part is things like BDO (that use anti-cheat tools) do not allow you to use things like Project Lasso to manually adjust things. Just a frustrating situation. I could have had a 13900K and probably a 7800x3D and gotten much better performance. I know the 13900K all other specs similar owns the 7950x3D in games I play. I also noticed that most of the time where it's a huge difference, the games are running on the wrong CCD. Unlike most people, I have two systems with 4090s in my house to compare.

StereoVsn

There are plenty of articles and videos explaining the issue and how it's mostly an Asus issue, get a refund and buy a non Asus board.
No idea why your throwing shade at AMD over Asus not following the guidelines on motherboard design.
Right in the thread someone is having issues with MSI board. Folks have problems with core parking.

The problem is ASUS, yes, but also AMD.

OFFIS

We play different games. I play BDO, GW2, and indie games. I have issues with both.

I have updated the bios, drivers, and Game Bar is setup correctly. The worst part is things like BDO (that use anti-cheat tools) do not allow you to use things like Project Lasso to manually adjust things. Just a frustrating situation. I could have had a 13900K and probably a 7800x3D and gotten much better performance. I know the 13900K all other specs similar owns the 7950x3D in games I play. I also noticed that most of the time where it's a huge difference, the games are running on the wrong CCD. Unlike most people, I have two systems with 4090s in my house to compare.
Bdo works with process lasso, just restart the game once and the settings apply after that. Or if you want to do it manually with task manager do the adjustments for the launcher and the game inherits the settings.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Basically if you're a gamer only buy the single-CCD CPU's like 5800X3D and 7800X3D

The multi-CCD CPU's are for productivity and workstation uses, gamers should avoid them
Agreed, the 7900 and 7950X3D CPUs do not seem like good purchases.

If it's about gaming just get the 7800X3D. I have that CPU and it's amazing.

Top Bottom