• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple Reports of AMD Ryzen 7800X3D CPU V-Cache burning itself and the motherboard🔥

mitchman

Gold Member
Based on these results I think E-cores even beats the PS5 CPU (well over 60fps in cyberpunk). For background tasks you dont need more than that, and I'm sure these additional E-cores will also make a difference in future games (developers can use them even for decompression). My point is, it's better to have CPU with 14 cores in totall (6 P-cores and 8 E-cores, for example 13500) than only 6 cores (for example ryzen 7600X).
Provided games actually are able to utilize all those cores. Most/many games aren't, which is likely tied to the console limitations.

Topher

Gold Member
It is Gigabyte, enough said. Topher Topher see?

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

lmimmfn

Updated to latest BIOS today on Asus X670E Prime Pro Wifi.

All great sofar, ran prime95 blend dir 20 mins, stable with -30 on all core curve optimizer, EXPO 2 and SOC stayed at 1.24, VRAM voltages are lower, can't remrmber/have access now buy the latest BIOS seems good to me so far.

rnlval

7kHm4N5.png

Using the latest BIOS 1616 for ASUS TUF X670E Plus WiFi motherboard. BIOS SoC voltage is set to AUTO.

Ryzen's CPU VDDCR_SOC Voltage stayed at 1.24V.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Have also updated to the latest BIOS for my 7800x3d system. SoC is 1.24v if i'm reading the right sensor as there is another SoC which is about 1.27v. Both are below 1.3V so I am happy and this is with my RAM expo enabled.

My temperatures seem to be a little cooler. chipset is running a few degrees cooler and my CPU is dropping into the 30s a lot more now and it's getting warmer here by the day. Before even if i left my PC idle with nothing running it would rarely drop below 40-43.

boot up times are only a few seconds faster. Compared to when I first built my system the boot up time has improved by about 25 seconds! The pc still spends a long time on qcode 15 which I assume is memory training. I've seen recommendations to use MCR but i read that it can cause instability. I'm used to the boot times now so I am quite happy to keep it as it is and hope future bios updates shave some more seconds off.

7kHm4N5.png

Using the latest BIOS 1616 for ASUS TUF X670E Plus WiFi motherboard. BIOS SoC voltage is set to AUTO.

Ryzen's CPU VDDCR_SOC Voltage stayed at 1.24V.
Why is your CPU averaging 1.391V on vcore after 4 minutes? What load is your system under at the time of this screenshot? My vcore can max out at 1.4V (yours is close to 1.5V!) but average during normal usage is around 1.12V. During heavier loads the voltage seems to drop. I wouldn't feel comfortable running at 1.39V for long periods of time

Sorry i thought you had a 7900X3D. Maybe the non-3d cpus can handle the higher voltages?

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
motherboards have been pumping excessive voltages into CPUs for years. This is nothing new except that now we're seeing CPUs actually dying.

Asus might be getting the heat but everyone else need to be held accountable too. The rest of the board makers like Gigabyte/MSI/Asrock and even Intel and AMD. They need to work together more closely to improve BIOS microcode.

All of my previous motherboards have been Gigabyte or MSI and I've had loads of issues with them which is why I decided to move to Asus for the first time. My MSI boards didn't have any major issues but Gigabyte was terrible.

oldergamer

Acknowledged what? That running too much power into something will fuck it up? No shit, you can screw up literally any CPU and motherboard by running well above the rated power directly into it.

The amount of idiots not knowing how to plug their 4090's in was orders of magnitude more than this.

So you bought a CPU and a motherboard that aren't compatible with each other?
Lol typo. 560 mobo

rnlval

Have also updated to the latest BIOS for my 7800x3d system. SoC is 1.24v if i'm reading the right sensor as there is another SoC which is about 1.27v. Both are below 1.3V so I am happy and this is with my RAM expo enabled.

My temperatures seem to be a little cooler. chipset is running a few degrees cooler and my CPU is dropping into the 30s a lot more now and it's getting warmer here by the day. Before even if i left my PC idle with nothing running it would rarely drop below 40-43.

boot up times are only a few seconds faster. Compared to when I first built my system the boot up time has improved by about 25 seconds! The pc still spends a long time on qcode 15 which I assume is memory training. I've seen recommendations to use MCR but i read that it can cause instability. I'm used to the boot times now so I am quite happy to keep it as it is and hope future bios updates shave some more seconds off.

Why is your CPU averaging 1.391V on vcore after 4 minutes? What load is your system under at the time of this screenshot? My vcore can max out at 1.4V (yours is close to 1.5V!) but average during normal usage is around 1.12V. During heavier loads the voltage seems to drop. I wouldn't feel comfortable running at 1.39V for long periods of time

Sorry i thought you had a 7900X3D. Maybe the non-3d cpus can handle the higher voltages?

chXOUcC.jpg

My Ryzen 9 7900X's Vcore per CPU core. +1.4V refers to the highest CPU clock speed which is mostly the 1st CCD. This is for the ASUS TUF X670E Plus WiFi motherboard with BIOS 1616.

----------------------

9HGIdDl.jpg

My Ryzen 9 7950X's Vcore per CPU core. +1.4V refers to the highest CPU clock speed which is mostly the 1st CCD. This is for the ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero motherboard with BIOS 1415.

Non-X3D Ryzen 9 7000s have a higher boost clock speed.

Last edited:

FingerBang

Hey guys, how are you doing? Remember this?

My 7950X3D died yesterday, it has the bump of death on the back. My motherboard was updated to the bios that was supposed to solve this issue. I'm not sure whether this is still a motherboard issue or just a CPU thing, but worth bringing it up.

Or maybe it's just Lords of the Fallen that has decided I wasn't good enough and punished my expensive and shiny CPU.

Edit: the mobo is an ASUS ROG X670E CROSSHAIR HERO and I wanted you to know because God, what a stupid name

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »

My 7950X3D died yesterday, it has the bump of death on the back. My motherboard was updated to the bios that was supposed to solve this issue. I'm not sure whether this is still a motherboard issue or just a CPU thing, but worth bringing it up.

Or maybe it's just Lords of the Fallen that has decided I wasn't good enough and punished my expensive and shiny CPU.

Edit: the mobo is an ASUS ROG X670E CROSSHAIR HERO and I wanted you to know because God, what a stupid name
That sucks…hope mine survive until the next gen CPU line.

FingerBang

That sucks…hope mine survive until the next gen CPU line.
It's alright, I ordered a 7600x while I wait for RMA. I play at 4K with a 4090, no way I'll be cpu limited anyway.

It just sucks it's still a thing. It was working fine until it blew up. It turned on, I started a game and suddenly the screen went black. Tried restarting the machine several times, everything turned on fine but the bios wouldn't post.

Tried plugging, unplugging, removing GPU, RAM and so on, until I finally took the CPU out. And there I found the bumpy surprise. It's funny because 2 out of 2 x3D CPU I bought had issues (5800x3D didn't die but had some different problem).

OverHeat

« generous god »
It's alright, I ordered a 7600x while I wait for RMA. I play at 4K with a 4090, no way I'll be cpu limited anyway.

It just sucks it's still a thing. It was working fine until it blew up. It turned on, I started a game and suddenly the screen went black. Tried restarting the machine several times, everything turned on fine but the bios wouldn't post.

Tried plugging, unplugging, removing GPU, RAM and so on, until I finally took the CPU out. And there I found the bumpy surprise. It's funny because 2 out of 2 x3D CPU I bought had issues (5800x3D didn't die but had some different problem).
My 7950x died but my 7950x3d is still holding on…AMD as Quality control problem this time around.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I have 7800x3d with ASUS ROG x670-e Gaming WiFi (also a stupid name) and temperatures have been iffy despite voltage showing correct numbers in monitoring.

I am kind of apprehensive now.

SantaC

my 7800X3D works perfectly, around 38C idle.

Just put your cpu on Thermal limit level 2 (wont exceed 80c) and call it a day

FingerBang

It has been fixed long ago
This happened to me yesterday, with the same configuration of these reports 6 months ago. It could be a defective chip, but even though I updated the bios to the one that prevented it, it happened so I would probably recommend avoiding the ASUS ROG Crosshair boards.

mitchman

Gold Member
I have 7800x3d with ASUS ROG x670-e Gaming WiFi (also a stupid name) and temperatures have been iffy despite voltage showing correct numbers in monitoring.

I am kind of apprehensive now.
my 7800X3D works perfectly, around 38C idle.

Just put your cpu on Thermal limit level 2 (wont exceed 80c) and call it a day
What cooling do you have and are you sure it's actually working correctly with good coverage of the CPU with a good amount of paste?
This happened to me yesterday, with the same configuration of these reports 6 months ago. It could be a defective chip, but even though I updated the bios to the one that prevented it, it happened so I would probably recommend avoiding the ASUS ROG Crosshair boards.
Did you update the BIOS of that board?

FingerBang

I just had a look at the motherboard and the pins seem to be damaged there as well, so I'm moving on with RMA.

So far AMD has not been helpful and keeps requiring for more information. I regret buying from Newegg so much.

What cooling do you have and are you sure it's actually working correctly with good coverage of the CPU with a good amount of paste?

I did as soon as the bios to prevent the issue was available

StereoVsn

Yeah, bios and board firmware are up to date. Got a 360 Cooler on the thing, plenty of case fans and I even repasted it just in case.

FingerBang

Quick update:

AMD has accepted my RMA request after trying to get out of it. I literally linked them the articles with their own statements and that worked.

I ordered another board of the same model from Amazon (with a 7600X while I wait for the 7950x3D to come back) and, I shit you not, it doesn't work. I need to return it for a refund.
I ordered another one and it said delivered but it's nowhere to be found. Hopefully it turns up somehow today.

This shit is cursed and I'm out an extra £1200 😂

Bojji

Quick update:

AMD has accepted my RMA request after trying to get out of it. I literally linked them the articles with their own statements and that worked.

I ordered another board of the same model from Amazon (with a 7600X while I wait for the 7950x3D to come back) and, I shit you not, it doesn't work. I need to return it for a refund.
I ordered another one and it said delivered but it's nowhere to be found. Hopefully it turns up somehow today.

Asus board? Don't buy their shit.

calistan

Asus board? Don't buy their shit.
Pfff, seems like somebody says that about every brand. I've got a couple of Gigabyte boards, AMD that's been my main PC for a couple of years and Intel that is over 10 years old. Never had any trouble with either of them, but further up this thread people are saying Gigabyte is trash.

Bojji

Pfff, seems like somebody says that about every brand. I've got a couple of Gigabyte boards, AMD that's been my main PC for a couple of years and Intel that is over 10 years old. Never had any trouble with either of them, but further up this thread people are saying Gigabyte is trash.

In terms of 3d processors burning Asus is the main culprit. And they acted like absolute scums before GN made multiple videos about them.

FingerBang

But you said you ordered another boards, are they from Asus?
I ordered another board as in, the same model, because I'm supposed to wait probably a month or so to get the RMA back from ASUS and would think of just swapping that in and keep on going. I designed the RBG of my system around ASUS Aura and liked all the features of the board. If my bad luck streak continues I'll research a different board.

I do wonder wether the problem really had to do with the BIOS or some are simply defective CPUs since the problem seems to have disappeared after the first few reports.

MikeM

Quick update:

This is why I buy from local stores. I simply return what doesn’t work and walk out with new stuff. I hate waiting lol

Sleepwalker

Most mobo manufacturers have issues one way or another imo, I built my 7800x3d system with a MSI board because of this and the board I initially purchased was dead on arrival and had to go back for a replacement lol. New one has been flawless though.

twilo99

motherboards have been pumping excessive voltages into CPUs for years. This is nothing new except that now we're seeing CPUs actually dying.

Asus might be getting the heat but everyone else need to be held accountable too. The rest of the board makers like Gigabyte/MSI/Asrock and even Intel and AMD. They need to work together more closely to improve BIOS microcode.

All of my previous motherboards have been Gigabyte or MSI and I've had loads of issues with them which is why I decided to move to Asus for the first time. My MSI boards didn't have any major issues but Gigabyte was terrible.

What’s the reason behind this practice? Is it for benchmarking or what..

twilo99

Most mobo manufacturers have issues one way or another imo, I built my 7800x3d system with a MSI board because of this and the board I initially purchased was dead on arrival and had to go back for a replacement lol. New one has been flawless though.

I’ve been using MSI boards for a very long time and I’ve never had any issues with them.. guessing just lucky

Top Bottom