• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Muramasa & Little King's Story selling well thanks to EU: LKS 2 "awaiting greenlight"

[Nintex]

I bought LKS last month so the sales went up 200% in Europe, you can all thank me for this.

To think that we got a shitty 50hz only version too.

GhaleonQ said:
Really? Its influences, excluding Pikmin and Love-De-Lic, are all from Europe. The Little Prince, Aleksandr Petrov, European history, and nearly all of the classical music should have made them feel at home. Good for them, though.

It's almost as Earthbound is to the States.

Turrican3

plank said:
Hopefully the'll add in IR controls this time.
This.

tetrisgrammaton said:
There was a postmortem on Gamasutra explaining that they initially had them [IR controls] in but decided they didn't add anything to the game.
Dear [LKS designers/programmers/whatever], Pikmin New Play Control says "Hi!".

Anyway, I bought LKS so as a co-financer I demand IR controls in LKS2. :D

Oxx

I bought NPC Pikmin, but I haven't played it yet. Does the pointer stuff work well?

I couldn't imagine using the Wii remote to interact with the game as it was presented. But a more streamlined sequel built with the pointer in mind? Absolutely.

samratty

Oxx said:
I bought NPC Pikmin, but I haven't played it yet. Does the pointer stuff work well?
Very well.

Oxx said:
I couldn't imagine using the Wii remote to interact with the game as it was presented. But a more streamlined sequel built with the pointer in mind? Absolutely.
Really, you couldn't imagine using the pointer to point at where you want to throw your troops? Or click on the enemy you want to attack?
I can't think of any reason why IR would harm the game as it is now. Motion controls on the other hand would be utterly pointless and tacked on, but the game was begging for IR. It's one of the few things that would have improved LKS imo.

Oxx

Individual units are pretty small and some locations are quite cramped and narrow.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't enhance the game a great deal, but that they would have had to have made some tweaks to the design and interface to make it work.

But I'm somebody who used the d-pad and buttons in the DS Fire Emblem.

stalker

Just for reference, I've never seen a copy of LKS in store in my city (Barcelona). If it sells decently it's kind of a miracle.

Happy to hear there might be a sequel, I loved the first one.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Eteric Rice said:
Thank you Europe. You have corrected an injustice!

OMG LKS2 YEEES!

Perfect post--avatar and all.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Dascu said:
Proof? Rising Star hasn't talked about it and certain online retailers have it set for June.

My bad then, last I knew RS confirmed the February release to the NOM crew.
I see that could be different now.
That sucks.
But I'll support them nontheless for bringin' such great Wii games over here, also I was going to import NMH2 day one anyway. ;)

Did these games get advertised in Europe when they were released? Seems weird that they would be selling there and I figure there has to be a reason for it.

Zero, zilch, nada, rien, niente tv advertising at all.
I think I've never even seen a Muramasa ad on a magazine. LKS I'm not sure, maybe some (mind you, magazines ad and not TV's)

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Osuwari said:
there should be stuff like Media create or NPD tracking european sales and posting numbers since the market is really big and can save games from being complete bombas.

I really do hope that this never happens. It will, of course, because that is the way things go, but the longer we can do without, the better.

The trouble is, once you have these consolidated charts it tends to skew the market very heavily towards the top sellers and squeeze out the small guys - which is the exact opposite of what we want to happen if we are interested in new interesting stuff being done.

Sure, it would be handy for analysts, and nice for GAF to talk about. But I don't want the side effects.

samratty

Oxx said:
Individual units are pretty small and some locations are quite cramped and narrow.
That makes no difference as far as I can tell, maybe I'm missing something, but I can't think of anything. You must be thinking of it working some other way.
Just try Pikmin Wii or watch a video of it and I'm sure you'll agree with me... Think specifically of the throwing Pikmin mechanic as that's most akin to how you use troops in LKS.

For example, If you press C in LKS you get a pointer that shows where your troop will go based on where Corobo is facing, imagine if that pointer was your Wii remotes IR pointer. If pointer controls were implemented you'd just throw you troop the direction you point regardless of where he's facing and pick more accurately - making it avoid the issue of attacking the wrong thing that happened from time to time with traditional controls.
I don't see how this would effect anything to do with the unit size (you're still firing one guy at a time and you're not selecting them individually, they'd still come in the hierarchy format LKS uses). It doesn't matter how narrow the areas are either as we're not talking a whole new path finding mechanic for the troops (He's not going to search out the location, he's just going to run toward it as normal)

Oxx said:
I'm not saying that it wouldn't enhance the game a great deal, but that they would have had to have made some tweaks to the design and interface to make it work.
Can't think of any significant design changes that would be needed, and the only interface change would be a pointer. It would make navigating menus slightly nicer too.
Even the difficulty balancing should be fine as your troops only have a short running distance so it shouldn't affect the fact you can move independently of the direction you wish to fire them much either.

upandaway

LKS is one of the most secretly fucked up games released last year.

Sequel can come whenever, I'll buy it right then and there.

Shitty distribution didnt want me to buy Muramasa here in Spain.
By what I read seems they have restock the game.
Hopefully will find it in my next incursion to a videogame shop. :D

Oxx

samratty said:
That makes no difference as far as I can tell, maybe I'm missing something, but I can't think of anything. You must be thinking of it working some other way.
Just try Pikmin Wii or watch a video of it and I'm sure you'll agree with me... Think specifically of the throwing Pikmin mechanic as that's most akin to how you use troops in LKS.

I should probably retire from this thread until I play Pikmin NPC.

The fictitious, pointer-enabled version of LKS running inside my head involved selecting units on the screen before sending them in to battle.

I recognise that it would work perfectly with the d-pad toggling of unit types that exists in the current game.

Any actual numbers? I checked wiki and this is what they say:

As of November 13, 2009, Little King's Story has sold 26,000 units in Japan, 37,000 units in North America, and 67,000 units in Europe.

Dated numbers, but it shows that Europe is its biggest market.
Also, ironically, the source article from Gamasutra is called Marvelous Sees Success With PSP Games, Less So With Wii.

Souldriver said:
Any actual numbers? I checked wiki and this is what they say:

Dated numbers, but it shows that Europe is its biggest market.
Also, ironically, the source article from Gamasutra is called Marvelous Sees Success With PSP Games, Less So With Wii.

All discussed here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380101

And the Wii numbers as of then (November (thread) or September? (below):

Muramasa: The Demon Blade JP = 47,000
Arc Rise Fantasia JP = 45,000
Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga NA = 16,000
Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility EU = 57,000

Little King's Story:
JP = 26,000
EU = 67,000
NA = 37,000
Total = 130,000

However, they only seem to count Muramasa's JP sales and VKES's NA sales. Perhaps they don't get their sales from Ignition right away for some reason? And VKES came out in Japan on Oct 8th, so this must be as of the end of September.

OnPoint

Good God I would love to see another title in the vein of Muramasa.

I will pick up LKS at some point... God damned backlog...

Luigiv

[Nintex] said:
I bought LKS last month so the sales went up 200% in Europe, you can all thank me for this.

Actually I quite like how it runs in full resolution. looks pretty good on my TV.

CaVaYeRo

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Shitty distribution didnt want me to buy Muramasa here in Spain.
By what I read seems they have restock the game.
Hopefully will find it in my next incursion to a videogame shop. :D

En qué zona vives? I could ask if anyone else could get any copy near you.

BTW, we were taking photos of our newly bought Muramasas to say (at least) HI to the Spanish distributor

GhaleonQ

Castor Krieg said:
http://www.gamerzines.com/wii/news/little-kings-story-sequel.html

Man, things like that break my heart. You have a very dedicated man that enjoys making games for everyone, he wants to make more, LKS is really an awesome game and...it doesn't sell because of publisher's ignorance/retailers/FPS noobs. Sad.

To be fair, Kimura's pretty emotional in interviews and the questions were leading. It also doesn't really answer why it's not doing well in Japan. The interview itself is much less definitive than that summary suggests.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Little King's Story was fantastic - under its bright, cheerful disposition lies a really quite deep and thought provoking game experience. It's inventive, challenging and so eloquently put together that no amount of sales will really do it justice (certainly none of the ones anybody predicted it would get.)

I'm glad it is getting some solid sales from Europe at least.

Anso

[Nintex] said:

Same as with MadWorld. It's a shame. I mean it's playable but it's like a kick in the shared European crotch, this is NOT 1992.

zigg

The pessimist in me keeps saying that no amount of good performance is going to get LKS2 greenlit... at least not in disc form. And that makes me sad.

*beats internal pessimist with something heavy*

theluma

You're goddamn welcome. Bought LKS full price on launch and still haven't opened it. Looks like I did some good though.

Anso said:
Same as with MadWorld. It's a shame. I mean it's playable but it's like a kick in the shared European crotch, this is NOT 1992.
Uh, in no shape or form is this comparable to the abomination that is Mad World PAL.

Anso

Phife Dawg said:
Uh, in no shape or form is this comparable to the abomination that is Mad World PAL.

Well sure it's not as rough but they're both games that should've been supporting 60Hz and 480p.

Top Bottom