• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MURICA, f*ck yeah

Jack_AG

Banned
It would appear that the author's perception of reality is "cloud"ed, eh?

I mean, who wouldn't want to see a big "Titan" like Sony "fall", right guys?

Guys?

I don't know what are those media functions that are only available to X1? Watching TV? No, Playing BD? No.....Please enlighten me with X1 theoretical media superiority.

Nah, I don't care for either console so I won't do that. I'm sure an Xbox fan will accomodate you.

I think what he's trying to say is that the mass market audience don't really care a lot about specs, which is true to some extent.

And then he goes on to talk about "The online backbone" as if the average consumer even knows or gives a shit about the ins and outs of how they connect to a multiplayer game.

Forkball

3. Toppling the Leading Incumbent is Easier Said than Done
Except that it's happened nearly every gen.

8 bit: Nintendo has no real competition
16 bit: Genesis actually outsells SNES in America (though I think SNES finally got an upper hand at the end)
3D Wars: Sony crushes the competition
Age of Dreamcast: Sony again dominates, but Microsoft manages to make a very noticeable impact
Last Next Gen: Nintendo takes the number one spot again out of nowhere, but Microsoft manages to gain a lot of ground and leaves Sony in the dust for a large part of the gen
Next Gen: Consoles become obsolete after everyone just buys a 3DS

Into

Microsoft will likely never be the market leader worldwide, despite what the western media tells you, the two Japanese giants in Sony and Nintendo are far more capable of captivating the worldwide audience than Microsoft has been with their Xbox. The numbers prove that.

For all the talk about how xenophobic Japanese companies can be, the results speak otherwise, both Sony and Nintendo have dominated the console space since Atari burst into flames, i do not believe Microsoft will ever be the market leader.

Chumpion

MS has already lost next gen.

However, this doesn't mean that MS won't get what it wants out of next gen. It doesn't need to beat Sony to do well.

ari

Banned
Point number 2, REALLY?!...Put to Shame? Really!

Some website are just...desperate!
Xbox live is better then both psn and Nintendo's services. Only on GAF have I EVER heard psn being such this great online infrastructure.

Recall

MS has already lost next gen.

However, this doesn't mean that MS won't get what it wants out of next gen. It doesn't need to beat Sony to do well.

No one has lost anything as nothing has begun.

Lets wait for sales and genuine responses to released product then if we really must, then people can claim a victor and loser.

NZNova

Here's an interesting article from Betanews, the author explains why he believes that XBO will be the winner in the next generation battle:

Oh no, Betanews!

cEn7LKk.jpg

Facism

No one has lost anything as nothing has begun.

Lets wait for sales and genuine responses to released product then if we really must, then people can claim a victor and loser.

his other point is interesting. Saying MS doesn't really need to outsell Sony for success or victory for their longterm vision and business plan. They've got their foot into the door of the living room and are looking to push their ideas, agendas for whatever services and products into the family space. Taking big steps forward to consolidating entertainment and escapism under the umbrella of Microsoft and their partners.

I can see them being a success there even if they end up being dominated by Sony this coming generation (not a sentiment i share, i think Xbone will end up in the driving seat again). Just a shame that they went about their business, regarding xbone, in a manner that doesn't inspire much confidence or suspension of cynicism for me.

Sentenza

Depends on what you're looking for. If you just want slightly shinier graphics, sure. If you're also looking for strong media functionality then a case can be made for the Xbox.
Can it? Frankly I don't see one single strong point in Microsoft's favor in this "war".
The only leverage they have over PS4 is "Well, a lot of people in the USA market are used to us and we hope they won't give up easily on their habits".

sublimit

Banned
Sony's vision for the next gen console war isn't concerted on a single area. Instead, its putting its money on a holistic approach to winning the hearts and minds of both gamers and media consumers alike. Here's my take on why Sony's on track for making it happen.

The four reasons:

4. Hardware Specs Alone Won't Win a Console War but they can sure help
2. Sony's PSN plus Puts Microsoft (and Nintendo) to Shame
1. Modern Consoles Are also Entertainment Hubs -- And the Numbers Prove It

KAL2006

Banned
Here's an interesting article from Betanews, the author explains why he believes that XBO will be the winner in the next generation battle:

http://betanews.com/2013/08/03/four-big-reasons-xbox-one-not-ps4-will-win-over-the-masses/

The four reasons:

4. Hardware Specs Alone Won't Win a Console War
2. Microsoft's Online Gaming Backbone Puts Sony (and Nintendo) to Shame
1. Modern Consoles Are Entertainment Hubs -- And the Numbers Prove It

4. How is that a plus?
3. Wring, history has shown it is not impossible
2. Live was better than PSN this gen, buy nextgen is unknown especially now that Sony is charging, they have new features like sharing, instant game collection and etc.
1. PS3 was the number 1 Netflix system, I am sure PS4 will do pretty much all the important entertainment functions and I don't think no one gives a fuck about controlling entertainment with Kinect.

RooMHM

For some time now (since the coming of Xbox) console wars have become national wars almost. Japanese are described xenophobic and allergic to everything that isn't Japanese (which is probably slightly true) and the American are said to be buying American first (which is probably a bit true too). When the media enter this shit battle of nations, we're all doomed.

Iorv3th

I take it pissing off your core users by failing to provide any compelling exclusive games for the past 3 years wasn't on the list?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
1. Modern Consoles Are Entertainment Hubs -- And the Numbers Prove It
Counterpoint: Here is the list of entertainment Hubs I have in my house:
- PS3
- Xbox 360
- Apple TV
- PC
- Macbook Pro
- Ipad
- Samsung smart TV

I'm not sure what your point is here; seven is a sensible number, but eight is a bridge too far?

I mean you've bought seven entertainment hubs, and that's supposed to be an argument against entertainment hubs?

Please untangle this for me.

Krakn3Dfx

Microsoft's dedicated servers will win over a lot of people. This seems like one of the console's biggest strengths.

For the best multiplayer experience, buy an Xbox One. If you want the best graphics (for a console), buy a PS4.

Sony has dedicated server access as well, and have said as much. they had dedicated servers on the PS3, and they'll have more of them on the PS4.

Also, most console gamers don't know what a dedicated server is. I've mentioned it in conversation with people I know who play console games regularly, and just get blank stares.

Krakn3Dfx

I mean that Microsoft has a system in place for matchmaking while you're doing other things on the console. Sure, Sony might do something similar at some point, but we haven't heard about that from them yet.

And our optimistic view on the dedicated servers for Xbox One games is that it'll be for every Xbox One multiplayer game. And it's being provided by Microsoft itself so you don't have to worry about the servers going down in a couple of years. Unless Microsoft hasn't told us everything about this yet; for example we don't know how much it'll cost developers (but presumably it'll be a lot cheaper than publishers/developers buying/maintaining their own servers).

Cerny has said in interviews that the PS4 has a matchmaking system in place that works well, according to his words. I guess only time will tell.

Those XBO/Azure servers are not free to publishers and developers, they've said they will be cheaper than standard dedicated servers, but they're not free, and you can be sure as soon as an EA or Activision doesn't see the financial reasons to keep dedicated servers online for a game, they will pull the plug on that game. Azure is just MS' version of Amazon's EC2, if you go to the Azure site on their site, they don't even mention the XBox brand on the front page, which should give a pretty good indication of where it sits in priority to everything else MS is using Azure for. PR spin is a wonderful thing.

If the PS2's dominance could be overcome, I'm sure the slight difference between Xbox 360 and PS3 (I'm not even sure who's leading at this point and I'm sure they are ignoring Nintendo here) won't have a huge impact.

p3tran

Banned
well, I got two reasons why this wont happen

1) forced always connected kinect (fuck this shit!)

2) 100 euros more expensive, with a bit less gaming hardware for the money than its competitor

my 2 reasons > op 4 reasons

I think even in 'murica - unless 1&2 change, microsoft will enjoy the bottom place and view.

Hoo-doo

Banned
This is true. If I'm a parent, kinda interested in gaming but by no means part of a "hardcore" gaming crowd I'm gonna buy the box that gives me the best multimedia experience 9 times out of 10.

So a TV overlay is worth an additional 100 dollars?

I don't see how the Xbone is superior on this regard, really.
You would also need an XBL subscription to access even the most basic functions like Netflix, which isn't the case for PS4.

Because of this and PS Media Server, the PS4 probably does more to serve my media needs than the Xbox One. That might be different if you still watch hours and hours of TV though, but I don't. It's 2013.

You would also need an XBL subscription to access even the most basic functions like Netflix, which isn't the case for PS4.

Because of this and PS Media Server, the PS4 probably does more to serve my media needs than the Xbox One. That might be different if you still watch hours and hours of TV though, but I don't. It's 2013.

From my point of view, which admittedly I'm not a very business minded person so take it for what it's worth, Sony has a very capable media box but they are choosing to market the device to the core crowd right now because they are making a very specific effort to target early adopters.

They are marketing it as a gaming box first and foremost because the audience not interested, or only casually interested in games have many lower priced alternatives for media boxes. The people looking to drop $400 on this hardware day one are likely to be serious gamers, not people looking for a streaming video box. I expect the marketing to shift overtime to balance the focus between the core and the casual but for now they are trying to win the hearts of early adopters.

PS+ and the lack of banners or flashy comercials on PSN forcefully claim to differ.

Renting away games for free because your online infrastructure is getting the pants beat off of it by a competitor which costs more and is mandatory isn't a good thing. Last-gen Xbox Live was a much better service, infrastructure-wise, if not feature-wise.

It's pretty much guaranteed the apps won't be behind a paywall next gen on either system. This + indie apps + multitasking + cable integration and it's a wash. Xbox One wins the multimedia war handily.

Also, it's 2013 and more households in the US have cable subscriptions than not.

Edit: Some super-quick googling: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/07/opinion/sunday/ready-to-cut-the-cord.html?_r=0

90% of American households have a cable subscription. Yes it's dropping, but for timeline of next-gen that won't be an issue at all. In any case, cable boxes aren't the only thing you can plug into the back of an Xbox One. They've yet to detail their plans on what happens when you plug a 360 into it.

Top Bottom