• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mushihimesama announced for Steam!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Isn't it really the cheapest faithful arcade port of any Cave game ever?

I do know I paid a lot more for the other ones I own.

mdsfx

Only contenders I can think of are Guwange and Deathsmiles 2X on Xbox Live, the latter of which I believe was $30+.

Quixzlizx

I probably know who you mean. (Although it could be someone else but at the shmups forums there is a resident Steam hater.)

I am actually VERY pro DRM-free since I read that gifts on Steam are called "gift subscriptions". And for this kind of game I could really use DRM-free versions I can carry around knowing they don't require Internet and should work properly without Steam.

Steam DRM isn't always-online DRM.

Well Degica can keep on ripping me off then.

Trust me, he had this absolutely convoluted reasoning that Cave had already released this game, it was over 10 years old, they were reselling DLC even though they had already sold this game at full price etc etc.. every time someone would tell him otherwise he would try to counter that they overpaid for their import versions or that they got ripped off because they had to import while he lives in Japan and got his version for cheap. It was just pure comedy. He kept up the farce for a while too.

Steam DRM isn't always-online DRM.

I know it's not, we published Satazius (doujin circle Astro Port game), the Cherry Tree High games and a couple more that way. You can run them without Steam. But that's not always the case with every title.

And I know you can simply log into offline mode, etc., etc.

Either way, things are getting deflected and we are missing the point here: game release on the 5th+Darius Burst coming somewhere soon (and I'm still disappointed nobody is picking on the fact that Darius Burst is coming to PC and that Degica is publishing it and I would love to know the sale price...)

Oh, and Caladrius appears to be coming too. So good to see the PC coming the STG platform this gen!

Momentary

Banned
Either way, things are getting deflected and we are missing the point here: game release on the 5th+Darius Burst coming somewhere soon (and I'm still disappointed nobody is picking on the fact that Darius Burst is coming to PC and that Degica is publishing it and I would love to know the sale price...)

Oh, and Caladrius appears to be coming too. So good to see the PC coming the STG platform this gen!

It's all been mentioned. They are just in their appropriate topics.

@MUWANdo

Banned
There are plenty of valid criticisms of valve and steam. Referring to people as valvedrones isn't the best approach. Shame it slightly derailed an overall great time.

People are dismissive of these arguments because there are certain people in the western STG community who derail every conversation to complain about DRM and it's beyond tedious to have to entertain the same reflexive horseshit every time a new game is announced for Steam.

On the other hand, isn't Crimson Clover in there?

Yep, but CC had a huge amount of buzz surrounding it. I don't think there's anyone inside gog who "champions" shmups as there is for other genres, and for a platform that relies on curation, that's a problem. Hopefully there's enough buzz round the mushi release, but it shouldn't have to come to that for a game of this quality. I mean gog quite happily sold omerta and all its dlc packages...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yep, but CC had a huge amount of buzz surrounding it. I don't think there's anyone inside gog who "champions" shmups as there is for other genres, and for a platform that relies on curation, that's a problem. Hopefully they're enough buzz round the mushi release, but it shouldn't have to come to that for a game of this quality. I mean gog quite happily sold omerta and all its dlc packages...

It's probably just that the venn diagram of people rooted in old school PC games and people rooted in Japanese arcade shmups does not typically overlap. They're like two polar opposite sides of the gaming world.... Obviously those worlds have converged in recent years, but maybe not for the people dedicated to GOG.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's probably just that the venn diagram of people rooted in old school PC games and people rooted in Japanese arcade shmups does not typically overlap. They're like two polar opposite sides of the gaming world.... Obviously those worlds have converged in recent years, but maybe not for the people dedicated to GOG.

Well, I don't think it would hurt to occasionally pander to audiences besides crotchety Europeans who love their simulators and generic eurojank strategy games that provide absolutely no opportunity to have any fun at all.

Especially given that PC gaming has expanded far beyond what it used to be even five years ago.

i have 0 clue what this is. Can someone explain what this game is and why everyone is so excited?
I think the posted too early OT does a good job of summarizing things. In short, it's a shmup from one of the teams that has defined the genre, and the first to be released on PC.

Reading over this reminds me: is this port going to offer unlimited credits from the start like Cave's releases on 360? I think that has hurt public perception of the genre more than anything else in recent memory; Arika/5pb style unlockable credits should be used to drive the point home that the game is not "beaten" merely by credit feeding all the way through.

i have 0 clue what this is. Can someone explain what this game is and why everyone is so excited?

The developer, CAVE, is hugely popular among shmup genre enthusiasts. They are regarded as one of the, if not the, best developers of the genre. Their early games helped kick off the "bullet hell" sub genre. And much of the talent from former shmup developers ended up at CAVE when other studios folded.

Mushihimesama is one of their better games. It was voted the #11 shmup of all time by the shmups forum. This is the first time it will be available outside Japan.

Durante

Reading over this reminds me: is this port going to offer unlimited credits from the start like Cave's releases on 360? I think that has hurt public perception of the genre more than anything else in recent memory; Arika/5pb style unlockable credits should be used to drive the point home that the game is not "beaten" merely by credit feeding all the way through.
Good point.

PantsuJo

I know it's not, we published Satazius (doujin circle Astro Port game), the Cherry Tree High games and a couple more that way. You can run them without Steam. But that's not always the case with every title.

And I know you can simply log into offline mode, etc., etc.

I'm so ready for Darius and Caladrius on PC. I'm buying any Japanese shmup that appears on Steam. We must support this wawe of games on PC and I'm ready to throw money on the screen every day, just gimme my awesome shooters :3

I'm so ready for Darius and Caladrius on PC. I'm buying any Japanese shmup that appears on Steam. We must support this wawe of games on PC and I'm ready to throw money on the screen every day, just gimme my awesome shooters :3

Exactly! As a Shmup -fan, these are very exciting times.

Knurek

Reading over this reminds me: is this port going to offer unlimited credits from the start like Cave's releases on 360? I think that has hurt public perception of the genre more than anything else in recent memory; Arika/5pb style unlockable credits should be used

Please, this.

You guys picked up Degica's previous STG releases, yeah? Crimzon Clover, Eschatos, XII Zeal and Delta Zeal?

Damn straight I did. Crimzon Clover is great and I especially love Eschatos.

I'm not a fan of the forced horizontal scrolling in Delta Zeal though. Kinda looks funky and there seems to be some kinda micro-stutter but maybe its just me. I think XII Zeal is better personally.

I'm so happy to see so many shmups on steam and can't wait to pick up Mushihimesama. Will there be a package discount for the entire lot (base game, DLC and soundtrack)? I'll getting them all anyways. :)

In complete agreement. Despite how often the don't credit feed/1CC is the way, drum is beaten people still don't get it. I doubt it is in Mushi since the 360 release doesn't have it and it is way too short of a time to get it in there by launch, but please Degica, this one is important. Maybe as a future patch but definitely something to consider with games going forward!

I was lazily playing Metal Slug on my Vita last night, it has been a very long time since I played the original. The PSP port gives you 20 credits and that is it. I didn't realize this, I was just credit feeding through and having a grand ole time. I got to the last mission and realized I only had a single credit left. I started playing MUCH more carefully and the experience went from dumb action shoot all the things to OH MY GOD I'M GOING TO DIE IN REAL LIFE.

I died right before the final boss and had to just sit there and watch the Continue? timer tick down to 0 and eat my game over in shame. Getting so close to the end and being denied because of my sloppy play made me want to immediately go back through it. It is an incredible motivator to do better and I think with games like Dark Souls reaching a fever pitch people are ready to understand the whole every death is a lesson thing.

Everything but the 'zeal' games. The side-shooting/wobble mechanic turned me off.

Not even Delta Zeal? That game doesn't have side-shooting.

On the subject of continues. I think Eschatos has a great system. Extra credits & other stuff are earned through "leveling up". Experience points come from your score at the end of every game. I almost never continued, even when I didn't beat my high-score, because I didn't want to lose all that progress to the next unlock.

At this point though, I couldn't care less what the public perception is. They've had well over three decades to figure out what STGs are all about. They're short games with crappy endings, so if you credit-feed through them all, you end up feeling very hollow.

Tain

Limited credits that expand over time would be a good idea, but making continues disabled by default (an option already available in the arcade game) and allowing players to flip them on in the options menu would be easier to implement and send a similar message.

Limited credits that expand over time would be a good idea, but making continues disabled by default (an option already available in the arcade game) and allowing players to flip them on in the options menu would be easier to implement and send a similar message.

I think this is a good, quick compromise. I'd be slightly worried people would burn out quickly with 0 continues by default. They could always use training, but if they don't get 'do not credit feed' or can't find the option to turn continues on, they probably won't find the training mode either. Maybe I am selling people too short.

On my second pass of the OT I decided to give visual context to as much as I can in the gameplay section. You can be told the hit counter is a thing, or shot types cycle, but seeing what that actually means in the game is big. So I spent the morning ripping a whole bunch of helper gifs that I plan to sprinkle around as links. Here are a couple, will save the bunch for a few fun surprises.

Hit Counter
Shot power-up cycling between types

Despite all my efforts I could not get them to come out non-grainy. Ah well, I kind of like the dithered look and it is more about conveying info than looking sexy.

Edit: oh, just happened to spot what might be the first review by Destructoid.

yop

On the subject of continues. I think Eschatos has a great system. Extra credits & other stuff are earned through "leveling up". Experience points come from your score at the end of every game. I almost never continued, even when I didn't beat my high-score, because I didn't want to lose all that progress to the next unlock.

At this point though, I couldn't care less what the public perception is. They've had well over three decades to figure out what STGs are all about. They're short games with crappy endings, so if you credit-feed through them all, you end up feeling very hollow.

The only issue with Eschatos is locking the stages away for training mode. By the time they unlocked I had played so much that the training was unnecessary.

I agree abut the public perception though, I think people do know how the games are supposed to be played it's just that the majority of the games playing public don't care, unfortunately.

linid0t

And in the comments there are people complaining about the price :/
I guess people who have only played Cave games via emulation were not going to buy them anyway, but it's still disappointing to see.

Yeah it's kind of crazy, considering how much it would cost to buy the games legally right now. Gotta import both the console and the game! Or buy a really expensive PCB and the equipment to use it.

I would have easily paid 60 dollars for this Steam release.
provided it's a good port of course

kaioshade

I guess people who have only played Cave games via emulation were not going to buy them anyway, but it's still disappointing to see.

Anyone bitching about the price doesnt matter. They most likely see a "old game" and dont bother.

Momentary

Banned
The game with the DLC is under $20 and people are still complaining. It amazes me how entitled people are sometimes. Then you have people trying to justify their reasoning with the game being free on iOS. I'm glad I don't surround myself with people like that have this mentality.

hIyJDsx.gif

Oh by the way.

I lucked out on the Steam trading card market, so I have a little extra cash to throw around.

Someone remind me to gift a copy of Mushihimesama when the 5th rolls around.

mdsfx

Oh by the way.

I lucked out on the Steam trading card market, so I have a little extra cash to throw around.

Someone remind me to gift a copy of Mushihimesama when the 5th rolls around.
Why not create a contest/giveaway thread? Might help spread the word and introduce it to those who might otherwise never consider it :)

Why not create a contest/giveaway thread? Might help spread the word and introduce to those who might otherwise never consider it :)

Actually I had something in mind for that.

I'm planning on giving three copies away, but I have a little challenge lined up, and I'd rather two of the copies go to gamers who don't play a lot of shmups (so that it would make the challenge a little more interesting).

This third copy is an exclusive to everyone who reads this thread.

therapist

i paid i think 40-50$ for the 360 ver of this.

Will be double dipping cant wait!

Probably my favorite cave shmup honestly , its so good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom