• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Music artists that produce the best cover art

dafinezt

Banned
Primus

Primus-Frizzle_Fry.jpg

DiscoJer

Molly Hatchet would use Frank Franzetta covers for some reason, I guess because they often featured a barbarian (or Kane from Karl Edward Wagner) wielding an axe.

But personally I would go with Roger Dean (countless progressive rock albums) and Hipgnosis (Pink Floyd among others)

TAD

Can't believe I forgot John Baizley and Baroness, the album covers are beautiful as well as the albums themselves being absolutely amazing to listen to.
Yup this was my pick I knew someone would have posted it. He's done art for Kvelertak and Black Tusk as well which is great.

On a similar note Mastodon have some pretty fantastic covers as well, I liked Emporer of Sand but the cover sucks.
blood-mountain.jpg

1000x1000.jpg

crack-the-skye.jpg

Mastodon-excels-by-keeping-things-grounded.jpg

faridmon

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/22/OnceNightwishCover.jpg[img]

[img]http://www.nuclearblast.de/static/articles/144/144272.jpg/1000x1000.jpg[img]

[img]http://www.nuclearblast.de/fr/data/bands/nightwish/releases/nightwish-imaginaerum.jpg[img]

[img]http://nightwish.com/en/news/2015/03/endless-forms-most-beautiful/EFMB_cover.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

None of the Nightwish album cover were designed by the band

Toxic Angle did the art for, Dark Passion Play, Imaginaerum and Endless Forms Most Beautiful (With his Wife RavnHeart), Once is just a photography of Angel of Grief, a sculpture by William Wetmore Story.

I assume the thread is about album covers that were done by the band/artists themselves

Denzar

Yup this was my pick I knew someone would have posted it. He's done art for Kvelertak and Black Tusk as well which is great.

On a similar note Mastodon have some pretty fantastic covers as well, I liked Emporer of Sand but the cover sucks.
blood-mountain.jpg

1000x1000.jpg

crack-the-skye.jpg

Mastodon-excels-by-keeping-things-grounded.jpg

Came in to post Elder, Mastodon and almost everything John Dyer Baizley does. Not disappointed.

Forgot the best Elder cover (IMO) though:

I'll add Pallbearer

Kurita

None of the Nightwish album cover were designed by the band

Toxic Angle did the art for, Dark Passion Play, Imaginaerum and Endless Forms Most Beautiful (With his Wife RavnHeart), Once is just a photography of Angel of Grief, a sculpture by William Wetmore Story.

I assume the thread is about album covers that were done by the band/artists themselves

OP's examples weren't made by the band, so no.

My picks :
Asian Kung-Fu Generation

Cider Girl

Kuusou Iinkai

The Mirraz

Nogizaka46 might have my favorite idol cover art thanks to cool pics + design

I might be checking out some of these artists based on the album covers, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean it's good. I think Leaf's album covers are dope too, but don't like any of her music.
200x0w.jpg
852878007182_T30476360500054.jpg
852878007397_T31408493410054.jpg

I don't have anything to contribute to this thread. From the artists I listen to they might have one or two great album covers out of their entire discography with the rest being just okay.

PillarEN

Perturbator:

GosT
although this is his only album art I like
:

Good call on Perturbator. Except for one record where it was maybe remastered or something. Either way the album cover for Teror 404 was ruined with a more anime look for the woman instead of going for that carnival ride spray paint semi-real airbrushed look which it was originally.

Platy

lol, it's hilarious how bad it is compared to the rest of their discography

I remember reading an interview where the artist said he sended a beta render just for the band to see where each person would stay and the composition and stuffs like that and they ....never replied back because they used that version for the cover

Top Bottom