• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Music game fans, you can hate me...now.

Troidal

JAWSOME. (That's the Pop n music arcade controller for those who don't know)

I have already preordered the Guitar Freaks arcade controller myself...I can't wait until August!!!

Tsubaki

Just looking at the replies, you can tell who is a music game fan and who isn't lawlz.

Nice find btw. That's an incredible steal for the ASC.

Koren

Scrow said:
i don't know what i'm looking at...
An official Pop'n music controller.

I'd really like to buy one, but 150$ is a bit expensive... 30$ is insane.

BTW, I can't say I hate him, but envy... no doubt ;)

Is this the same thing you see in the arcade in Lost in Translation? Where you see the guy dancing in front of a machine smacking big buttons.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
NintendoGal said:
Great find and deal!

Now just start playing like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tYFZc6rU7U

i have students that are better than that -_-

the story behind this find starts in demi's zoe thread

i said i was going to go to book off to buy zoe 2 but i walked in walked into the game section, turned around to see if they had any used psps and what did i see? a ****ing huge green pop n music controller sitting on the floor. i was like no ****ing way! iw ent up and asked how much it was, guy said san zen roppyaku en and i was like oh yeah that sounds normal. then i paused and i was like OH **** DID HE JUST SAY SAN ZEN EN? and i asked him again, are you suuuuuuuuuuure this controller is only 3600yen? and he looks in his book and hes like "yeah" and im like "i want this".

sp0rsk said:

the story behind this find starts in demi's zoe thread

i said i was going to go to book off to buy zoe 2 but i walked in walked into the game section, turned around to see if they had any used psps and what did i see? a ****ing huge green pop n music controller sitting on the floor. i was like no ****ing way! iw ent up and asked how much it was, guy said san zen roppyaku en and i was like oh yeah that sounds normal. then i paused and i was like OH **** DID HE JUST SAY SAN ZEN EN? and i asked him again, are you suuuuuuuuuuure this controller is only 3600yen? and he looks in his book and hes like "yeah" and im like "i want this".

Book off is rad.

sp0rsk said:

Great record them and show us all. I've not seen many other players, let alone people who can move their arms that quickly so it's impressive to me. >=P

sprsk

NintendoGal said:
Great record them and show us all. I've not seen many other players, let alone people who can move their arms that quickly so it's impressive to me. >=P

i need a video camera first, unfortunately they are really expensive here.

WYWY

black_13 said:
It makes you wonder, if it requires that much effort to be able to master a music game, then you probably could've learned an actual musical intrument if you had spent all those hours you did on the game on music playing.
I can say something about that.

Pop'n Music 9 buttons actually *does* require some discipline. Maybe the kind of time and effort to learn an instrument.

But playing an instrument is one thing, being able to play it *really good* is another. I gave up on my string instrument because although I can play, being able to play it *good* requires much more time and effort than I'm willing to spare. If I can't be *good*, why bother to continue?

So games like Pop'n Music, though difficult, gives me the fun of being able to play *good* music without having to spend the effort to play a real instrument *really well*. I can assure you, there's much more effort required.

Tain

Goddamn man.

I actually prefer the new standard Pop'n controller to the unofficial ASCs I've played on, if only because I can actually hear the game, but that's amazing.

Looks like a Beatmania controller, does it play the same

It's an ultracute beatmania with a simpler scoring system and either one more button or seven less buttons depending on how you wanna look at it.

ghibli99

Fallout-NL said:
Is this the same thing you see in the arcade in Lost in Translation? Where you see the guy dancing in front of a machine smacking big buttons.
Yep!

Damn, that's an unbelievably good deal. Cheaper than the little Konami Pop'n controller, even!

aku:jiki

black_13 said:
It makes you wonder, if it requires that much effort to be able to master a music game, then you probably could've learned an actual musical intrument if you had spent all those hours you did on the game on music playing.
No offense, but I'm sick of this argument because I find it ****ing retarded.

The same could be said about any game of any genre. Add up the time you've spent playing games throughout your life and you'll probably end up with enough time for you to build a damn mansion by yourself. Should that stop you from gaming, though? Of course not, you might not even want to build a house.

I mean, I don't see anybody going "all that time spent, he could've been in the olympics!" about FPS players. Probably because most people have played an FPS and realize that it's nowhere near the same as using a real weapon. Same goes for music games.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
WYWY said:
I can say something about that.

Pop'n Music 9 buttons actually *does* require some discipline. Maybe the kind of time and effort to learn an instrument.

But playing an instrument is one thing, being able to play it *really good* is another. I gave up on my string instrument because although I can play, being able to play it *good* requires much more time and effort than I'm willing to spare. If I can't be *good*, why bother to continue?

So games like Pop'n Music, though difficult, gives me the fun of being able to play *good* music without having to spend the effort to play a real instrument *really well*. I can assure you, there's much more effort required.

You could get more chicks with medicore guitar playing than you could with incredible Bemani skills.

Stinkles said:
You could get more chicks with medicore guitar playing than you could with incredible Bemani skills.
One could even say that with an increase in bemania skills the ability to chicks is actually decreased.

metroid23

Nice work! I waited on a list for a year and then paid $300 for mine ;) At least you know you can make a nice mark up should you decide to sell!

apotema

I see Ridge Racer back there

I cannnnnnnnnnnnnnnot hoooooooooold it!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

It's Ridge Racer............... Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Racer, remember that one?

Mr Jared

Stinkles said:

And this is in no offense to you, because I love you, but you're wrong. To those of us who do have ladies (UH OH! UH OH!), I can honestly say that Bemani games, aside from bestowing upon me the uncanny ability to stop a gas pump at any number I want (Sup timing), have improved my sex life.

Ahem.

Because sex isn't all about whats inbetween your legs, if you get my drift. Sup undying wrist muscles.

. . .

Well, it won't help you get the ladies initially (See: Video games in general). . so lets agree to disagree :D

Good deal on the controller, but I really don't like the Konami ASC for Pop'n. It feels hallow. . like I'm going to smash it if I play anything over a level 30 on it.

aku:jiki said:

The same could be said about any game of any genre. Add up the time you've spent playing games throughout your life and you'll probably end up with enough time for you to build a damn mansion by yourself. Should that stop you from gaming, though? Of course not, you might not even want to build a house.

I mean, I don't see anybody going "all that time spent, he could've been in the olympics!" about FPS players. Probably because most people have played an FPS and realize that it's nowhere near the same as using a real weapon. Same goes for music games.
qft

black_13

Banned
aku:jiki said:

Well the points you and WYWY bring up are good and I hadn't thought of it that way but to me the point of playing a music game is that I cannot play any intrument so if it's that hard for me to master a music game then I'll just add more hours to that and learn an actual instrument. Guess everyone has their own view.

I've recently bought Guitar Hero which is the only music game I own after Rez and I'm still struggling on Medium difficulty, but it inspired me to go get guitar lessons. I'm in my second lesson only right now and yeah it looks like a lot of work, probably more than mastering Guitar Hero but I know in the end it'll be way more satisfying for me.

Belfast

Stinkles said:

Nah, I like my dorky chicks, and music games tend to be one of the few genres that attracts a lot of females. In fact, if it wasn't for DDR, I probably wouldn't have my current girlfriend.

sprsk

Belfast said:
Nah, I like my dorky chicks, and music games tend to be one of the few genres that attracts a lot of females. In fact, if it wasn't for DDR, I probably wouldn't have my current girlfriend.

indeed!

actually i left all my popn discs at home so i havent even tried it out yet (it may even be broken who knows!)

ant1532

Banned
HOLY SHIT.

I never came in this thread thinking it's about you dissing Gitaroo Man, Sambe De Amigo or something. But omg. Aweomse buy.

Top Bottom