• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Music Makers |OT| Where words fail, music speaks.

NotLiquid

So for the better part of the last two and a half years I've been working on an album and today I finally released my second full-length.

a1198053666_16.jpg
https://plumegeist.bandcamp.com/album/black-void-broadcast

Originally I released about half of the album in segmented parts that were each approached through a different state in mind at the time they were produced but I felt I had a concept in mind when doing it so a few older tracks I made were revisited for the completed version of it.

In many ways I feel like I tackled a concept like this too early but nonetheless it was a bit of an experience to do. The album consists of 18 tracks. If I'd have to describe it, I'd say it's various styles of music that fit the banner of "space" electronic.

I feel like a lot of things could be done better here if I were a better producer, but in the end it's a project I want to finally close the book on and if nothing else it was an enriching learning experience. I look forward to returning to smaller releases from here on out for the foreseeable future.

Sadsic

So for the better part of the last two and a half years I've been working on an album and today I finally released my second full-length.

Originally I released about half of the album in segmented parts that were each approached through a different state in mind at the time they were produced but I felt I had a concept in mind when doing it so a few older tracks I made were revisited for the completed version of it.

In many ways I feel like I tackled a concept like this too early but nonetheless it was a bit of an experience to do. The album consists of 18 tracks. If I'd have to describe it, I'd say it's various styles of music that fit the banner of "space" electronic.

I feel like a lot of things could be done better here if I were a better producer, but in the end it's a project I want to finally close the book on and if nothing else it was an enriching learning experience. I look forward to returning to smaller releases from here on out for the foreseeable future.

sounds like good video game music

heres a beat i made for someone:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40086894/Yusuf.mp3

cjsnapp

Neo Member

Amazing work! Some really cool sound design and ideas throughout. I'm very impressed. Would be great for a game soundtrack.

I was hoping to get some GAF help on voting for this remix I just finished up recently. I will gladly send you a Dropbox link for a free copy if you like as well.

Markus Schulz feat. Delacey - Destiny (Jackson Snapp Remix)

I was hoping to get some GAF help on voting for this remix I just finished up recently. I will gladly send you a Dropbox link for a free copy if you like as well.

Markus Schulz feat. Delacey - Destiny (Jackson Snapp Remix)

I checked it out, I thought the mix was excellent but the song ended up not doing much for me. I will however vote for you later tonight because none of the competitors songs ended up doing it for me either. I am however kind of curious as to why you'd enter these remix contests because I was looking it over and they legitimately state that they will own the rights to any and all music you release in relation to the remix contest. So winning it would seem more like a curse than a blessing to me. Even if you did make something excellently awesome you wouldn't be able to do anything with it and they'd be able to do everything with it. You'd make no money, probably get little fame and the only thing you'd walk away with is a keyboard which you may or may not want. What's your motivation for entering? Just asking out of curiosity, I'm totally not condemning you for entering.
GRANT OF RIGHTS: By entering this Contest, Entrants assign away and transfer (as set forth below) any and all rights in the Submission Materials, including any and all Submission Materials created by Entrants but not submitted as a Remix, and the Remixes on a worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable and royalty-free basis, for any and all purposes including, but not limited to, display, public performance, posting for streaming and/or download, making of derivative works, reproduction, distribution, and all other means of exploitation of the Remixes. Entrants agree that the Artist, or a designee of Artist, shall, from inception, own all right, title and interest in each Remix (including, but not limited to, the copyrights in the sound recording) in perpetuity, free from any claims by Entrant or any other person and all such works shall be deemed "works made for hire" for the Artist or such designee. In the event that an Entrant’s Remix cannot be deemed a “work made for hire,” the Entrant agrees to assign away and transfer any and all rights in their Remix to the Artist, or a designee of Artist. Entrants shall have no ownership rights or interest whatsoever in the applicable Remix, and shall not commercially use or exploit the Remix in any manner whatsoever.

That's some ill album art. I liked most of the album. The first three tracks sounded like they belonged to an old sci-fi game. Some good shit in here.

cjsnapp

Neo Member
I checked it out, I thought the mix was excellent but the song ended up not doing much for me. I will however vote for you later tonight because none of the competitors songs ended up doing it for me either. I am however kind of curious as to why you'd enter these remix contests because I was looking it over and they legitimately state that they will own the rights to any and all music you release in relation to the remix contest. So winning it would seem more like a curse than a blessing to me. Even if you did make something excellently awesome you wouldn't be able to do anything with it and they'd be able to do everything with it. You'd make no money, probably get little fame and the only thing you'd walk away with is a keyboard which you may or may not want. What's your motivation for entering? Just asking out of curiosity, I'm totally not condemning you for entering.

I appreciate your honesty and I see where you are coming from in regards to the contest. I just enjoy making music and am trying to make a name for myself. I usually stay away from contests that are voting only, however this one includes 3 hand-picked winners along with 3 voted winners. I've started doing live performances so it's another track I can throw into my sets. Thanks for checking it out.

Falk

that puzzling face
So I rarely post anything related to my work (mostly legal/contract obligations) but I thought this was really, REALLY cool.

I've been using Cakewalk stuff for a long time. A really, really long time. Way before I broke into the video game industry. And way before I started working with Video Game Orchestra.

Long story short, Video Game Orchestra, SoundtRec (the recording/production facet of the same entity) and Cakewalk have developed a very close working relationship, and Cakewalk just released a version of their flagship DAW SONAR specifically targeted at Steam. It doesn't have every single bell and whistle the top-of-the-line version has, but it's robust, flexible, and amazing value for money.

The blatant shilling (hahahaha) aside though, we (SoundtRec) did a whole smorgasbord of musical cues that are released as 'DLC'* alongside SONAR Steam edition. It's still surreal for me to be able to click a Steam page link and have my music be the first thing that's playing. (And not w.r.t a game, but with the vendor of the DAW I use, no less)

*You don't actually need SONAR Steam Edition to get the packs, as far as I understand it - it's tied to a free loop manager utility. They're intended to be royalty-free, hi-quality general purpose cues for anything from commercial use in indie projects, creative inspiration, or even temp-soundtrack stuff during conceptual phase of game development.

More interesting stuff soon. Very soon, in fact.

edit: Word down the grapevine is tomorrow.

Mandelbo

It's been a little while since I've had the chance to make any music, but this I just finished making this earlier. I didn't use any samples this time around because I just wanted to keep it simple, but I think it's pretty decent. As always, do give me feedback if you listen!

cjsnapp

Neo Member
It's been a little while since I've had the chance to make any music, but this I just finished making this earlier. I didn't use any samples this time around because I just wanted to keep it simple, but I think it's pretty decent. As always, do give me feedback if you listen!

I like the idea here. It has a mysterious, creepy, sci-fi vibe to it. It could really benefit from choosing some good drum samples and working on the sound design of the synths a bit more. The synth that's panned hard left doesn't really need to be panned so hard. Otherwise, not bad.

Mandelbo

I like the idea here. It has a mysterious, creepy, sci-fi vibe to it. It could really benefit from choosing some good drum samples and working on the sound design of the synths a bit more. The synth that's panned hard left doesn't really need to be panned so hard. Otherwise, not bad.

Thanks. Do you have any good drum samples that you would recommend?

Canon

Banned
What are some good orchestra VSTs that would run on a Surface Pro 3 (i5, 4GB ram) and work in Reaper? If you don't know what would work on Reaper, just any VSTs will do.

They have to sound realistic; as in, almost life-like.

I currently use Pianissimo for piano and it sounds good enough. So that's my standards.

Also, possibly dumb question, is it possible to rip midi samples from a old keyboard (yamaha) to the computer?

Hey all, first time in this thread, so many talented gaffers out there.

Been wanting to post some stuff but most are just demos and little nuggets here and there whenever I'm in the mood. Kinda intimidated and my equipment's subpar at most (audacity and mp3's at most) but I'll see what I can do.

Voidguts

What are some good orchestra VSTs that would run on a Surface Pro 3 (i5, 4GB ram) and work in Reaper? If you don't know what would work on Reaper, just any VSTs will do.

I know you mentioned you had a piano VST but check out Alicia's Keys, it sounds great despite the name!

Been wanting to post some stuff but most are just demos and little nuggets here and there whenever I'm in the mood.

DOOOOOOOOOOO ITTTTTTTT

Falk

that puzzling face

They have to sound realistic; as in, almost life-like.

I currently use Pianissimo for piano and it sounds good enough. So that's my standards.

Also, possibly dumb question, is it possible to rip midi samples from a old keyboard (yamaha) to the computer?

If resource footprint is an issue, you might want to look at sample modeling for instruments where it makes sense. Pianoteq 5 is pretty awesome, 40MB total size. (I thought 4 and prior were bollocks, just as some context for my standards)

That aside, you might want to look at some ensemble-based libraries like Symphobia where specific groups of instruments are recorded together. It doesn't have the versatility of having everything separate, but on the other hand it's a much smaller resource footprint, and sounds more natural for some things.

4GB vs "must sound realistic" are honestly really at odds with each other nowadays though.

Zant532

I've been trying to find time to actually sit down and write some jams, but schoooool.

I need help gaf. I can never get my guitar tones to sound good. Like how should I go about EQing and the like?

Mandelbo

I've been trying to find time to actually sit down and write some jams, but schoooool.

I need help gaf. I can never get my guitar tones to sound good. Like how should I go about EQing and the like?

When you say guitar tones, do you mean you're recording yourself playing the guitar? Is it acoustic or electric? If it's acoustic, using multiple microphones for different parts of the guitar can help create a richer sound. For instance, having mics pointed at the sound hole, middle of the neck and top of the neck will sound better than only having a single mic because you're covering a greater breadth of sound. When EQing I've found it's best not to be too drastic with your changes - smaller changes will tend to sound better than if you massively boost the gain on your low-end EQ to bring out the bass, for instance. It's also worth bearing in mind that if you record yourself with multiple microphones, you can then EQ each part of the guitar separately, which gives you a lot more freedom to shape the kind of sound you want.

Zant532

When you say guitar tones, do you mean you're recording yourself playing the guitar? Is it acoustic or electric? If it's acoustic, using multiple microphones for different parts of the guitar can help create a richer sound. For instance, having mics pointed at the sound hole, middle of the neck and top of the neck will sound better than only having a single mic because you're covering a greater breadth of sound. When EQing I've found it's best not to be too drastic with your changes - smaller changes will tend to sound better than if you massively boost the gain on your low-end EQ to bring out the bass, for instance. It's also worth bearing in mind that if you record yourself with multiple microphones, you can then EQ each part of the guitar separately, which gives you a lot more freedom to shape the kind of sound you want.

Thanks! What about electric? I can never get it sound the way I want it. I usually record 3 of the same part to get a more full sound. Initially they overbear most of the track so I try to EQ them to match the volume of the ensemble, but they always come out sounding too weak and I get this thing where the track is covers up the guitars, but if I raise the guitars they overbear the ensemble. It just gets really frustrating.

"Thanks! What about electric? I can never get it sound the way I want it. I usually record 3 of the same part to get a more full sound. Initially they overbear most of the track so I try to EQ them to match the volume of the ensemble, but they always come out sounding too weak and I get this thing where the track is covers up the guitars, but if I raise the guitars they overbear the ensemble. It just gets really frustrating."

Are you recording direct or micing a cabinet?

Without knowing your recording setup, if you are recording direct, make sure you get a DI Box or an audio interface that has a good Hi-Z input (a lot of them, especially cheaper ones, don't have proper impedance matching for a guitar input which will ruin your tone!).

Also when EQing, don't EQ to alter volume, use EQ to remove unwanted (and largely unheard) frequencies. You want to use EQ so that all of your instruments sit in different frequency ranges with minimal overlap, so they can all be heard clearly.

Also, separate them across the left-right channel - use the stereo spectrum. That way each instrument has a "place" and can be easily identified by the listener.

Mandelbo

This

Also when EQing, don't EQ to alter volume, use EQ to remove unwanted (and largely unheard) frequencies. You want to use EQ so that all of your instruments sit in different frequency ranges with minimal overlap, so they can all be heard clearly.

and this

Also, separate them across the left-right channel - use the stereo spectrum. That way each instrument has a "place" and can be easily identified by the listener.

are both very, very important. You don't want different parts "sharing" the same frequencies, so to speak, and panning is essential so that your different tracks don't mush together. I know I'm basically reiterating what's already been said, but it's just that important!

Zant532

Are you recording direct or micing a cabinet?

I'm recording direct and the audio interface I'm using is the Komplete Audio 6. Yeah, that's the basic idea I've gotten from looking up how to properly EQ. There's a certain tone I'm trying to not so much emulate, but try to reach as close as possible while still adding my own flair, but I don't even know where to start.

"I'm recording direct and the audio interface I'm using is the Komplete Audio 6. Yeah, that's the basic idea I've gotten from looking up how to properly EQ. There's a certain tone I'm trying to not so much emulate, but try to reach as close as possible while still adding my own flair, but I don't even know where to start."

Well, make sure the Line/Inst button on that interface is set to Inst.

What tone are you trying to emulate and what is your guitar/amp sim of choice?

Zant532

Well, make sure the Line/Inst button on that interface is set to Inst.

What tone are you trying to emulate and what is your guitar/amp sim of choice?

I really like the tone on this song and how the guitars are clean cut.

https://youtu.be/nn55oxf6gCg?t=26s

I've been using Guitar Rig 5. My guitar is just a plain old standard one which I know contributes to part of the problem, but I've been able to get some really good sounds out of it for the most part.

"My guitar is just a plain old standard one which I know contributes to part of the problem"

We talking Les Paul style? Strat Style?

That tone shouldn't be too hard to get, drop tuning, high output humbucking pickups into a really high gain style amp (in GR5 that would be something like the Van 51, Rectifier, or Ultrasonic) and you should be in that neighborhood and just need to tweak to taste. You may also want to look into Impulse Response cabinet simulation instead of using the standard Guitar Rig cabinet simulation. Redwirez has a bunch of free ones that are well regarded

Zant532

We talking Les Paul style? Strat Style?

That tone shouldn't be too hard to get, drop tuning, high output humbucking pickups into a really high gain style amp (in GR5 that would be something like the Van 51, Rectifier, or Ultrasonic) and you should be in that neighborhood and just need to tweak to taste. You may also want to look into Impulse Response cabinet simulation instead of using the standard Guitar Rig cabinet simulation. Redwirez has a bunch of free ones that are well regarded

It's a Strat Styled guitar. I've dabbled very little into Impulse Response cabinet sims cause I could never get them to work, haha. I'll need to do a little more research, but I'll definitely check that site out. Thanks!

Sing Draft

I'm trying to sing a little bit. I made the beat too. lol

I checked it out, I'm not going to lie and tell you that you're on the level of an Adele or something. I also don't know if you're using autotune/melodyne/whatever (sounds like it) but it's not catching everything and there's still some stuff slightly out of tune (although it might be what you're shooting for?). The quickly at 0:48 sounds really awkward to me. But it overall it sounds nice to me, the processing sounds very current, your timbre is also pleasant. I see you're shooting for that bump this shit on repeat while pounding out your lady of choice type feel though and I think you need some falsetto for that. I kind of feel like the second repeat of the chorus should have some falsetto ass harmonies? Nice stuff though.

Here's a trappish hip-hop/beat thing I did last week and put a verse on today. I haven't rapped seriously since I was 16 (12y ago holy shit!) and it felt super awkward doing it. I also didn't know my voice sounded like that now. I ended up only doing 2 takes and didn't comp shit because I'm not even sure this is actually good hip-hop.

I also realize this is what I look like when I'm mixing vocals.
kNGKIvW.jpg

I can hear it's shit and I'm going to have to work out how to actually make it not be shit. I think part of it is the recording though because I just have some cheap rode starter condensator mic thingy. I also have the shittiest room possible because it's a tiny square box with bare walls and no isolation booth thingy screen type stuff. Whenever I compress my vocals it sounds like I've got reverb on it. I'm not sure if I'm feeling it it now :( I thought it was so dope when I was working on it too.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I checked it out, I'm not going to lie and tell you that you're on the level of an Adele or something. I also don't know if you're using autotune/melodyne/whatever (sounds like it) but it's not catching everything and there's still some stuff slightly out of tune (although it might be what you're shooting for?). The quickly at 0:48 sounds really awkward to me. But it overall it sounds nice to me, the processing sounds very current, your timbre is also pleasant. I see you're shooting for that bump this shit on repeat while pounding out your lady of choice type feel though and I think you need some falsetto for that. I kind of feel like the second repeat of the chorus should have some falsetto ass harmonies? Nice stuff though.

Here's a trappish hip-hop/beat thing I did last week and put a verse on today. I haven't rapped seriously since I was 16 (12y ago holy shit!) and it felt super awkward doing it. I also didn't know my voice sounded like that now. I ended up only doing 2 takes and didn't comp shit because I'm not even sure this is actually good hip-hop.

I also realize this is what I look like when I'm mixing vocals.
kNGKIvW.jpg

I can hear it's shit and I'm going to have to work out how to actually make it not be shit. I think part of it is the recording though because I just have some cheap rode starter condensator mic thingy. I also have the shittiest room possible because it's a tiny square box with bare walls and no isolation booth thingy screen type stuff. Whenever I compress my vocals it sounds like I've got reverb on it. I'm not sure if I'm feeling it it now :( I thought it was so dope when I was working on it too.

Appreciate your review! It's not completely done yet, I'm going to retake a few parts plus the girl I wrote it about is going to sing on it.. Actually it's like an inside joke because she said if I write a song she'll sing for me so I thought it'd be clever to make a song called "Make You Sing" lol.. The parts you're talking about that sound out of tune are parts I put a chorus filter on, it detunes it. I like the effect on the first half of the chorus, but wasn't sure about the end of the first verse. I'll probably just take a few more vocals to clean it up and hit that "quickly" better.

I took a listen to your song. I like the lyrics and your voice is nice for the style of music. The vocals seem a bit low to me. Are you mixing with just a single track beat or do you have it tracked out with multiple wav files? I feel like the bass is the right level with your vocals but the rest of the beat is a bit loud. Especially the hi hats. I think it's pretty cool though.

Zakalwe

Banned
The Forest And The Fire

An ongoing music project. It's been through a few iterations. Currently demoing some acoustic songs, unsure how they'll be produced (might even leave them bare-bones, layered vocals and acoustic guitar only).

Feel free to listen/feedback. Will listen through the thread when I have some time.

Mandelbo

Just uploaded a (very) short test piece for a small psychological horror film I'm working on. I'm trying to make it sound vaporwave-y, so I essentially just messed around with some of the Kmart samples that were posted a few weeks ago. Give it a listen and as always I'd appreciate any feedback you have!

Sun Drugs

I uploaded a song to my SoundCloud yesterday and would like to hear any thoughts/criticisms/etc. I wrote it over the weekend, recovering from a cold.

I've been listening to a lot of 70s/80s Spanish pop rock so I felt like writing a romantic ballad. It sounds very droney/shoegazey, and my voice sounds more nasal than usual. I feel proud of this song, I feel like I really "crafted" it. But maybe I'm still delirious from the fever!

https://soundcloud.com/material541/falling-into-place

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm struggling a little with my current set of songs. Looking for some constructive feedback, even if it's all negative I really need the help to give myself some perspective. Far too close to these things to know.

I made another thread with a more detailed post, if anyone could offer advice/critiques it could help a lot.

Thank you.

I uploaded a song to my SoundCloud yesterday and would like to hear any thoughts/criticisms/etc. I wrote it over the weekend, recovering from a cold.

I've been listening to a lot of 70s/80s Spanish pop rock so I felt like writing a romantic ballad. It sounds very droney/shoegazey, and my voice sounds more nasal than usual. I feel proud of this song, I feel like I really "crafted" it. But maybe I'm still delirious from the fever!

https://soundcloud.com/material541/falling-into-place

I like it. The vocals and lyrics are very...honest, not sure how better to say it. You painted a basic picture with your words, but they get the job done well for this type of song. I really like that.

Musically, you described it perfectly. It drones but the chord progression is simple enough to allow it to come back 'home' melodically over and over again and not really get old.

Very nice job, honestly.

Sun Drugs

I like it. The vocals and lyrics are very...honest, not sure how better to say it. You painted a basic picture with your words, but they get the job done well for this type of song. I really like that.

Musically, you described it perfectly. It drones but the chord progression is simple enough to allow it to come back 'home' melodically over and over again and not really get old.

Very nice job, honestly.

Thank you so much for taking the time to listen, it means a very great deal to me.

I'm really glad you feel that way about the song -- everything you said reflects my own thoughts. The lyrics could definitely use some work, and some lines seem a bit grammatically off, but I feel like changing them would alter the mindset and feelings I'd felt while writing it. I'm completely satisfied with the melody.

Thank you again, I appreciate it greatly.

Mabef

Banned
Over the summer I wrote the music for a friend's mobile game. It was a lot of fun and I learned a hell of a lot but, after spending some time away from the music, I'm realizing how much I could benefit from good mixing/mastering. If you guys n gals could give it a listen and let me know your thought, I'd really appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
https://soundcloud.com/sleepyfish/sets/qubit-soundtrack

Just uploaded a (very) short test piece for a small psychological horror film I'm working on. I'm trying to make it sound vaporwave-y, so I essentially just messed around with some of the Kmart samples that were posted a few weeks ago. Give it a listen and as always I'd appreciate any feedback you have!

I like it a lot. You mention it's for a psychological horror film, so maybe it'd be helpful for me to describe the feeling I get from it (since I'm not sure what scene you wrote it for, I'm unbiased in that regard). It's like a broken calmness -- I'm not on edge or scared, I'm very at peace (perhaps for unsettling reasons). If this was Silence of the Lambs, this music would take place when I'm supposed to be inside his head as he's happily doing terrible things without anyone else around. I hear some disturbing noises, but the rest of the sounds don't "judge" them or color them as scary and disturbing.

Now, if this wasn't your intention (maybe the scene is more like the protagonist being terrified or anxious), I might throw some more dissonance in there, maybe against your high notes. But either way, it sounds cool!

Thank you so much for taking the time to listen, it means a very great deal to me.

I'm really glad you feel that way about the song -- everything you said reflects my own thoughts. The lyrics could definitely use some work, and some lines seem a bit grammatically off, but I feel like changing them would alter the mindset and feelings I'd felt while writing it. I'm completely satisfied with the melody.

Thank you again, I appreciate it greatly.

I listen to most of the stuff posted in here, but I usually accidentally close tabs before having a chance to comment - so I'm glad I was able to comment on yours. :) But I agree, changing the lyrics at the expense of the emotions behind the time and place in which you wrote it would be a shame. Keep it. That's your song, that's a window into your world that is immortalized now. Such is the beauty of recording music! I feel the same way...my stuff is super imperfect, flawed, in so many ways. But, my recordings bring up memories of the time in which I worked on those songs, why I worked on them, what was my muse, etc...it's powerful stuff, just the memories. I have kept many shitty vocal takes just because they came after an important conversation with a loved one or something.

I don't think I've ever contributed anything here, so I'll throw out a few recent recordings.

Su Su Su Super キ・レ・イ
Black Book
First-Hand Experience in Second-Hand Love
WARNING

The instruments used vary a bit, but mostly utilized some of my 'newer' toys: the Waldorf Blofeld, Yamaha MX49, MicroKORG XL, TC-Helicon VL Play, and Arturia Microbrute. My older synths have taken a backseat, with the exception of using Yamaha's QY70 for some sequencing and Suzuki's Omnichord for arranging (and a bit of live-recording into the mix on Black Book and Su Su Super キ・レ・イ). I will bring my vintage stuff back for 2016.

Mandelbo

I like it a lot. You mention it's for a psychological horror film, so maybe it'd be helpful for me to describe the feeling I get from it (since I'm not sure what scene you wrote it for, I'm unbiased in that regard). It's like a broken calmness -- I'm not on edge or scared, I'm very at peace (perhaps for unsettling reasons). If this was Silence of the Lambs, this music would take place when I'm supposed to be inside his head as he's happily doing terrible things without anyone else around. I hear some disturbing noises, but the rest of the sounds don't "judge" them or color them as scary and disturbing.

Now, if this wasn't your intention (maybe the scene is more like the protagonist being terrified or anxious), I might throw some more dissonance in there, maybe against your high notes. But either way, it sounds cool!

Sorry for the late response, haven't checked back here in a while! Your assessment is pretty much spot on with what my intentions were - I wasn't aiming for outright scary, but for something more disquieting and unsettling, with something that's "off" about it. Your description of it as a broken calmness is actually quite fitting, I think. Thanks for writing up your thoughts about it, it's really interesting seeing your comparison to Silence of the Lambs!

GhostBed

Hello, musicGaf! Very happy to finally be posting in here (been lurking for a while).

Been a musician for about 8 1/2 years now. Started drumming right around my 13th birthday and have been obsessed with jamming/writing/preforming ever since. I currently live in a small apartment with thin walls and sleepy neighbors, so drumming is kind of on the backburner right now. I play in a thrash metal band called Pollute (here's a really shitty demo if anyone cares) and we practice about once a week, but I really miss being able to play everyday. Oh well, someday I'll get back to it!

Here's a drum cover I did a while back if anyone is interested - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHlRB4KJyxc

In the past few years, I finally bought Ableton and started writing my own electronic music. I launched my first solo project, Ghost Bed, about a year ago and have been pretty pleased with the reception thus far. I've been getting surprisingly consistent shows and a lot of positive feedback to the songs I put out. Chillwave/ambient electronic music is one of my favorite genres, and Ghost Bed is directly inspired by artists I really look up to, so being able to toss my hat in the ring and give my own take on the genre has been really rewarding and fun.

Here's the Ghost Bed Bandcamp page and Soundcloud page if anyone is interested. If you only listen to one song, I'd suggest Jealousy, as that's probably my best release thus far.

Looking forward to being a part of this community!!

Mandelbo

Just uploaded another new track called Detached. It's basically more of me trying to create an unsettling, disconcerting atmosphere, but I'll let you guys be the judge of that! As I always seem to say, feedback is always appreciated!

Looking forward to being a part of this community!!

Really love your music! The ethereal feel of jealousy is quite entrancing, especially given the juxtaposition against the relatively chaotic drum part. Hyper Pop is also wonderfully done for similar reasons. Your music reminds me quite a bit of KOSMO KAT's stuff - you should give that a listen if you haven't already.

Holy shit, I had no clue this thread was a thing, until I saw it linked in the GAF Tape 2 thread.

Here's my soundcloud.

Looking forward to picking your guyses brains and getting feedback!

These certainly are bangerzzzz! Admittedly this isn't really my kind of music, but even so they're still very well done. I quite like your Melbourne Drop teaser, looking forward to hearing it when it's complete! Your recreation of the Tron Legacy end credits is also great!

Top Bottom