• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My 3 freezers are stuffed with meats that have been inside for many years. How I eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bessy67

Throw everything out and sell the chest freezer. You obviously don't need as much freezer space as you have.

rtcn63

I would like some good recommendations for seasoning old freezer meat.

0003384400415_A

Pizoxuat

I strongly recommend that you throw away unknown meats that have spent an undetermined amount of time in one of three freezers. I doubt you can remember if there was a power outage that could have partially thawed them before they refroze. That would be dangerous.

If you must tempt death with ancient freezer meat, there are a couple of ways to thaw them. If they are sealed water-tight (oh god I hope they are sealed) you can submerge in a large bowl of room temperature water to get them defrosted in an hour or two. You can leave them on a plate on the counter for an afternoon. You can stick them in the fridge for 24 hours.

All of those things you listed will go good to with meat. After your meat is thawed out, apply salt and pepper and throw in a pan with a little cooking oil. Cook until done USE A THERMOMETER DO NOT FUCK AROUND WITH UNDERCOOKED ANCIENT FREEZER MEAT. Apply your guac/salsa/pesto to the top after it is done. Pray to whatever gods you honor and enjoy.

Seriously throw it away.

I strongly recommend that you throw away unknown meats that have spent an undetermined amount of time in one of three freezers. I doubt you can remember if there was a power outage that could have partially thawed them before they refroze. That would be dangerous.

If you must tempt death with ancient freezer meat, there are a couple of ways to thaw them. If they are sealed water-tight (oh god I hope they are sealed) you can submerge in a large bowl of room temperature water to get them defrosted in an hour or two. You can leave them on a plate on the counter for an afternoon. You can stick them in the fridge for 24 hours.

All of those things you listed will go good to with meat. After your meat is thawed out, apply salt and pepper and throw in a pan with a little cooking oil. Cook until done USE A THERMOMETER DO NOT FUCK AROUND WITH UNDERCOOKED ANCIENT FREEZER MEAT. Apply your guac/salsa/pesto to the top after it is done. Pray to whatever gods you honor and enjoy.

Seriously throw it away.

I got Canola Oil and Olive oil. What oil would you recommend?

J_Lee

Banned
I would like some good recommendations for seasoning old freezer meat.

Well if it's freezer burned then you going to have to cover up the taste, stews, chili, basically any recipe where the meat isn't the center piece, if it's not freezer burned it's just another piece of meat.

atr0cious

Brine the meats with vinegar, it eases the taste of freezer burn and reconstitute the meat in many cases. Toss out any seafood or veg.

Sooo..

Why in the fuck are so many people in this thread using the word "unthaw"?

Doesn't that literally mean that you're freezing that shit again? What the fuck

Chiramii

If memory don't fail me, bacteria won't form in the meat below -18°C. If the meat was good when you put it in the freezer and it has been kept below said temperature all this time there shouldn't be a problem. Meat with less fat will probably be in better condition after so many years, so if you were to cook any of it, I'd go with the less fattier parts.

NimbusD

If memory don't fail me, bacteria won't form in the meat below -18°C. If the meat was good when you put it in the freezer and it has been kept below said temperature all this time there shouldn't be a problem. Meat with less fat will probably be in better condition after so many years, so if you were to cook any of it, I'd go with the less fattier parts.

Yeah, assuming it was packaged right, and was consistently low temps, the worst that can happen is it's horribly freezer burnt and tastes horrible.

After 5 years... yeah it probably will be... but why not find out? I guess...

Thaw in the fridge, now out on a counter, that shit's gross.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
So,

OP does not ever meat that has been frozen in his freezer, never has. Yet he has 3 freezers filled with meat spanning almost half a decade of collecting.

What the fuck am I reading, how why?

Throw it all away.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Seriously throw it away.

You're right about most of this but a slow cook in a broth with acids - tomatoes, citrus for several hours will be safer and help with meat fiber crystallization.

If you've never cooked before, why the fuck do you have three freezers of meat?

^i don't think they mean unthaw it all at once, but when u want to eat it, unthaw it.

Genius at Work

Neo Member
So,

OP does not ever meat that has been frozen in his freezer, never has. Yet he has 3 freezers filled with meat spanning almost half a decade of collecting.

What the fuck am I reading, how why?

Throw it all away.

He only just realised that you are supposed to eat food from the freezer. OP was just gonna keep freezing food until the end of time.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
5 years
I don't know, my guts say throw all the meat. Like, you're a beginner at this and i don't think its worth it to risk your health over cooking 5 years meat.

Media

Can you be 100% certain that those freezers never experienced a power outage? Because if no one can remember what's in them, I doubt they can be sure of that either. Throw that shit out before someone gets sick, and then learn how to label and properly store food.

Can you be 100% certain that those freezers never experienced a power outage? Because if no one can remember what's in them, I doubt they can be sure of that either. Throw that suit out before someone gets sick, and then learn how to label and properly store food.

Oh, there are power outages at least 5-10 times a year.

Dude.

Throw everything in those freezers away. Never freeze anything again. Send me your deep freeze so I can put it to good use lol

How are you supposed to use the deep freezer? How do you get the stuff that is all the way in the bottom.

The deep freezer is more like a cube than a rectangle.

Media

How are you supposed to use the deep freezer? How do you get the stuff that is all the way in the bottom.

The deep freezer is more like a cube than a rectangle.

Are you saying that the stuff in the freezers is so bad it's all one big frozen block of crap?

Unplug them. Wait a few days. Mop up the mess. Throw out the shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom