• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My brother is a massive racist, and I feel broken

Confronting people only backs them into a corner, making them dig their heels and further defend themselves. It's not a good way to spur change. Understanding is the first step, at least that's what the books i've read tell me, but what the eff do I know? Do you think arguments yield results? I think understanding is key.

Why do you think people are racist in the first place?

I mean to be fair it's his brother, I'd imagine he already understand him on some level.

I understand your PO better with this elaboration.

Though I grow a bit concerned when I see these we just have to understand racists arguments because it often seems to infantalize them and basically argue that kid's gloves are needed.

Which is a huge burden to place on anti-racists.

KrellRell

I mean to be fair it's his brother, I'd imagine he already understand him on some level.

I understand your PO better with this elaboration.

Though I grow a bit concerned when I see these we just have to understand racists arguments because it often seems to infantalize them and basically argue that kid's gloves are needed.

Which is a huge burden to place on anti-racists.

Yeah, I get what you mean, and I agree. All I'm trying to say is that confrontation, argument etc will only make racists MORE racist. It's basically coming at them saying "Listen here, I'm right, you're wrong and I'm gonna tell you why". No one wants to hear that, not you, me or a racist. If we take the time to understand why someone is racist, then we can target their reasoning, work from that angle.

Why do you think people are racist in the first place?
I think this is something people need to think about to actually solve the problem.

Many have commented to rightly distinguish that being a racist presents a different degree of harm than just being a conservative. But the process by which people adopt and grow these beliefs is largely the same. It's a mixture of experiences and ideas they've encountered.

The only way they are going to change is with new experiences and new ideas. You can argue that shunning is an experience and idea that might make them reconsider their opinion, and you might be right. But I would think it's possible to shun someone's ideas and hate without shunning their underlying humanity, even when it is injured by hateful and harmful ideology.

Maledict

I think this is something people need to think about to actually solve the problem.

Many have commented to rightly distinguish that being a conservative and being a racist present different levels of harm. But the process by which people adopt and grow these beliefs is largely the same. It's a mixture of experiences and ideas they've encountered.

The only way they are going to change is with new experiences and new ideas. You can argue that shunning is an experience and idea that might make them reconsider their opinion, and you might be right. But I would think it's possible to shun someone's ideas and hate without shunning their underlying humanity, even when it is injured by hateful and harmful ideology.

How do you do that when they constantly act in a racist manner around you? Unless you confront it every time, you're tacitly supporting them being a racist and racism in general.

Sai-kun

Banned
That this guy's brother is a racist. That the advice given is to "cut him off". I'm not losing my family over it. Sure, it's a very small piece of a very big problem. I'm trying to offer advice to solve the problem and you come in with the passive aggressive comments. Isolation and breakdown of communication never solves anything.

Now you've got me all worked up. What I'm getting at is that we can only solve problems if we understand each other. Everyone thinks they are right and everyone is trying to do the best they can.

racists are not ever right

non-racists are always right

Kumquat

Uhh, it's absolutely a valid option and probably the healthiest for the OP.

Some people are content with marginalizing their own intelligence and siphoning their hate by succumbing to a perspective harmonious with racism, homophobia, sexism, just overall hatred. And sometimes these same people just can't help but to bounce their narrow-minded opinion onto someone, particularly someone who doesn't subscribe to these warped values. Whether it's a cry for help or whatever, I try to explain to them politely as I can the first time why they're wrong. If that doesn't work, I tell them to shut the fuck up and keep their opinion to themselves. Persistence is a trademark characteristic with these assholes, almost as if they're trying to convince themselves. By that time, I cut them off. Family or friend. Don't need cancers in my circle, stressing me out with their stupidity. Life is stressful enough.

Ugh. Look, maybe I hold family a bit more sacred than you do but I don't believe in giving up on the people closest to me. At one point my family had truly fractured and I was the one who took the hits and played mediator to patch the family back together. It was stressful and it was tough emotionally but they are my family and I would do it again in a heart beat.

azyless

Ugh. Look, maybe I hold family a bit more sacred than you do but I don't believe in giving up on the people closest to me. At one point my family had truly fractured and I was the one who took the hits and played mediator to patch the family back together. It was stressful and it was tough emotionally but they are my family and I would do it again in a heart beat.
Good for you. And some people have no interest in keeping a relationship with racists or homophobes, blood or not.

Yeah, I get what you mean, and I agree. All I'm trying to say is that confrontation, argument etc will only make racists MORE racist. It's basically coming at them saying "Listen here, I'm right, you're wrong and I'm gonna tell you why". No one wants to hear that, not you, me or a racist. If we take the time to understand why someone is racist, then we can target their reasoning, work from that angle.

We already know why he's a racist, because Muslim's are all rapists that need to die, and he idolizes Ben Shapiro. The OP already laid this out for you. He's literally dealing with someone who would be a-ok with Muslim genocide, and you want to come to an understanding?

It does seem to me that some of y'all either have hardcore racists in the family you're become very accepting of, or you have no idea what it's actually like constantly dealing with them (or simply knowing what sort of warped individuals they actually are), and come from a place of privilege and ignorance.

So, yeah, don't do your own head trying to magically fix diet-nazi's, OP. It's a fools errand.

KrellRell

We already know why he's a racist, because Muslim's are all rapists that need to die, and he idolizes Ben Shapiro. The OP already laid this out for you. He's literally dealing with someone who would be a-ok with Muslim genocide, and you want to come to an understanding?

It does seem to me that some of y'all either have hardcore racists in the family you're become very accepting of, or you have no idea what it's actually like constantly dealing with them (or simply knowing what sort of warped individuals they actually are), and come from a place of privilege and ignorance.

So, yeah, don't do your own head trying to magically fix diet-nazi's, OP. It's a fools errand.

That's just the surface, you gotta keep digging. Why does he think muslims and rapists? You're giving up pretty quick, one post on a forum, lol.

The Classic gaf answer

I'm not sure what is wrong about what I wrote. And I don't seem to be alone on that.

I don't mean that you should instantly cut off contact to anyone behaving like a bigot.

Sure, engage them, try to tell the why they're wrong. But if that doesn't work, I see no alternative besides cutting them off. Ignoring it will only help normalize it. Racism etc. is not an opinion that one should be allowed to have. End of story.

Hell, people drop friends because of less. It's perfectly valid to end a relationship because of that. After all relationships root on basic understanding of each other. If that isn't there, why should the relationship continue?

And don't start about family. Family is just people you know longer than your friends and feel some kind of obligation to because of shared blood, sometimes not even that.

I'm perfectly fine with stopping to talk to parts of my family for an appropriate reason. And other people should be too. Ignoring it won't change anything if convincing doesn't work.

Showing them that their "values" are so disgusting that you'd rather stop talking to them might, on the other hand.

KrellRell

I'm not sure what is wrong about what I wrote. And I don't seem to be alone on that.

I don't mean that you should instantly cut off contact to anyone behaving like a bigot.

Sure, engage them, try to tell the why they're wrong. But if that doesn't work, I see no alternative besides cutting them off. Ignoring it will only help normalize it. Racism etc. is not an opinion that one should be allowed to have. End of story.

Hell, people drop friends because of less. It's perfectly valid to end a relationship because of that. After all relationships root on basic understanding of each other. If that isn't there, why should the relationship continue?

And don't start about family. Family is just people you know longer than your friends and feel some kind of obligation to because of shared blood, sometimes not even that.

I'm perfectly fine with stopping to talk to parts of my family for an appropriate reason. And other people should be too. Ignoring it won't change anything if convincing doesn't work.

Showing them that their "values" are so disgusting that you'd rather stop talking to them might, on the other hand.

Isn't cutting them off ignoring it?

That's just the surface, you gotta keep digging. Why does he think muslims and rapists? You're giving up pretty quick, one post on a forum, lol.

...because he's a maniacal little shit head who gravitates toward right-wing extremists who peddle 24/7 right-wing propaganda for validation of his abhorrent ideas, while everything else is fake news, regardless of rational and reputation? Again, the OP gave you what you need to understand, and the reality of personally dealing with these types would be able to fill in the blanks.

You're making these boys out to be more complex than they actually are.

KrellRell

...because he's a maniacal little shit head who gravitates toward right-wing extremists who peddle 24/7 right-wing propaganda for validation of his abhorrent ideas, while everything else is fake news, regardless of rational and reputation? Again, the OP gave you what you need to understand, and the reality of personally dealing with these types would be able to fill in the blanks.

You're making these boys out to be more complex than they actually are.

It seems like you have a lot of experience with people like this? I wasn't able to pull all that from the post. From what I understand, he wasn't always like this. I do believe "these boys" are more complex than you think. If it's as much of a lost cause as you believe, then we've already lost and the racists have won.

Drive you brother to a predominantly asian or black community, throw him out of the car with only $10 to his name, no phone and tell him to make his way home - and he best be nice to people.

It seems like you have a lot of experience with people like this? I wasn't able to pull all that from the post. From what I understand, he wasn't always like this. I do believe "these boys" are more complex than you believe. If it's as much of a lost cause as you believe, then we've already lost and the racists have won.

Well, they did win the Presidency, the senate and the house. So, yeah, you're getting warmer.

Tain

what's the goal in psychoanalyzing his brother and getting to the root cause as to why he fell for shapiro's garbage, exactly? do you think there should be an "oh, i see" moment for the OP, where the OP becomes accepting of his brother's beliefs?

Isn't cutting them off ignoring it?

Continuing the relationship and just establishing a rule of them not talking about it would be ignoring it.

Cutting them off (and of course telling them why) is much more likely to have an effect. Not guaranteed of course, there are plenty of people who are just assholes, but still more likely. They'll be made aware that they're actively losing relationships because of it.

KrellRell

what's the goal in psychoanalyzing his brother and getting to the root cause as to why he fell for shapiro's garbage, exactly? do you think there should be an "oh, i see" moment for the OP, where the OP becomes accepting of his brother's beliefs?

Psychoanalyizing, jesus dude it's called communicating. Talking to someone, listening to them, trying to understand. If you take the time to listen to someone else and try to understand them, they are much more likely to do the same with you. If you come at them guns blazing, what do you think will happen? Or worse yet, cut em off, because that'll show em.

KrellRell

Continuing the relationship and just establishing a rule of them not talking about it would be ignoring it.

Cutting them off (and of course telling them why) is much more likely to have an effect. Not guaranteed of course, there are plenty of people who are just assholes, but still more likely. They'll be made aware that they're actively losing relationships because of it.

I really have to disagree. Everything I've ever read says if you want to have any impact or change you need to keep an open line of communication. Cutting them off? All that is going to do is divide even further.

I see this posted as a response quite often around here. "cut them off".

I guess I just value my friends and family more. People believe all types of silly and sometimes hateful shit I don't agree with.

But I'm not perfect, and I.dont dictate the worlds morality. I have lots of friends and family I would stick by regardless of what they think or do.

I guess I just value my friends and family more. People believe all types of silly and sometimes hateful shit I don't agree with.

But I'm not perfect, and I.dont dictate the worlds morality. I have lots of friends and family I would stick by regardless of what they think or do.

And cutting them off also normalizes it as it allows them to feel racist without any of the pressure of knowing that "my loved one who called me out on my shit before" is still there. By cutting them off you are really pushing them towards other people that share their views.

It's refreshing to see a post like this. It really seems like a lot of people are more concerned with being right than understanding each other.

This.

KrellRell

It's refreshing to see a post like this. It really seems like a lot of people are more concerned with being right than understanding each other.

Shredderi

I'm glad I didn't give up on my friend. If I just left him then he would have found new friends who shared his views and they would have circle jerked themselves further into their shit beliefs. The "understand them first" method is working great with my friend. He used to spout some real ignorant shit and then I go "but why do you say that?" and the he would be "because that's how it is, that's how they are", and I would go "not good enough, you need to go deeper", and piece by piece we would deconstruct his racist ideology. Okay, 'ideology' might be too big of a word because he has never followed some specific doctrine, just ignorant views of foreign people, largely inflicted on him by his parents. My friend has never been a raging racist, so discussing these things with him has never been impossible.

When confronted with his past racist remarks, he admits that he was juvenile. He's gotten smarter in general as well and thinks more about causal links between things. There's still a few things he gotta work on, which he admits. But I mean that's huge. Compared to where he started years ago, he's actually admitting that he has been juvenile and that he still has some things to work out. His views in general aren't as extreme anymore. He used to be more of a guy who had a lot of black and white views of the world in general. Our group of friends actually like having him around in our social gatherings now.

I really have to disagree. Everything I've ever read says if you want to have any impact or change you need to keep an open line of communication. Cutting them off? All that is going to do is divide even further.

Relationships need to be earned. If basic understanding between two people isn't there anymore, I don't see why one person should keep spending energy and time on it when it's evident already that the other person won't budge.

Yes, people do. But that you're ignoring stuff like that doesn't make you value your friends more, you just seem to be accepting of people having those "views".

There's a big distance between not being perfect and dictating morality to others and wanting friends not to hate and insult people because they're brown or have a different sexuality.

I'm glad I didn't give up on my friend. If I just left him then he would have found new friends who shared his views and they would have circle jerked themselves further into their shit beliefs. The "understand them first" method is working great with my friend. He used to spout some real ignorant shit and then I go "but why do you say that?" and the he would be "because that's how it is, that's how they are", and I would go "not good enough, you need to go deeper", and piece by piece we would deconstruct his racist ideology. Okay, 'ideology' might be too big of a word because he has never followed some specific doctrine, just ignorant views of foreign people, largely inflicted on him by his parents. My friend has never been a raging racist, so discussing these things with him has never been impossible.

When confronted with his past racist remarks, he admits that he was juvenile. He's gotten smarter in general as well and thinks more about causal links between things. There's still a few things he gotta work on, which he admits. But I mean that's huge. Compared to where he started years ago, he's actually admitting that he has been juvenile and that he still has some things to work out. His views in general aren't as extreme anymore. He used to be more of a guy who had a lot of black and white views of the world in general. Our group of friends actually like having him around in our social gatherings now.

As I said, if your friend seems to still be reasonable and you're sure that you can slowly change them, go ahead. I guess this isn't really evident from my posts, since I didn't elaborate on it much. But how you'll convince them is entirely up to you, situations like these differ greatly, so I can't really elaborate on this anyway.

Also, with breaking contact I don't necessarily mean indefinetely. If the people put effort into changing, establishing a relationship again is perfectly okay.

Anyway, good that it worked out for you.

KrellRell

Relationships need to be earned. If basic understanding between two people isn't there anymore, I don't see why one person should keep spending energy and time on it when it's evident already that the other person won't budge.

This is the real issue, concluding someone won't budge when you've been the hero by telling them how wrong they are. No one will budge when you tell them they are wrong, people don't work that way. I'd also like to think being someone's brother is an earned relationship.

This is the real issue, concluding someone won't budge when you've been the hero by telling them how wrong they are. No one will budge when you tell them they are wrong, people don't work that way. I'd also like to think being someone's brother is an earned relationship.

Good that I didn't say that then. You're perfectly welcome to try to change them in various ways, but at some point it will get unhealthy for some.

KrellRell

Good that I didn't say that then. You're perfectly welcome to try to change them in various ways, but at some point it will get unhealthy for some.

Dude, you can't change anyone, it's not possible. People can only change themselves. The only way to facilitate this is to try to understand someone, and in turn help them understand themselves. I just can't get behind the notion of, "Well I told that dumbass racist they were wrong, they didn't listen, time to cut em off"

You're totally right, some people will never change and at some point cutting ties may be the best option. I think it should be the last option though.

Skilletor

People who think myself, my friends, my family are less than human, less than deserving of fair treatment, less than anybody else because of their skin color or sexual orientation aren't worth valuing. And the people who normalize, tolerate, and forgive it can get lumped in with them.

Psychoanalyizing, jesus dude it's called communicating. Talking to someone, listening to them, trying to understand. If you take the time to listen to someone else and try to understand them, they are much more likely to do the same with you. If you come at them guns blazing, what do you think will happen? Or worse yet, cut em off, because that'll show em.

I think this is a case by case basis and up to the person on how they want to proceed. For example, I can't save everyone in my immediate circle who harbor toxic views of people when I am trying to protect my two girls from said views. I would rather spend my limited time teaching them ways to protect themselves emotionally, mentally and even physically, rather than reach out to an adult who has made the wrong choices. I don't mean to paint a better or worse picture, only what works for you.

Wow this is so sad and fucked up :(

Not sure why you haven't talked to your mom though. What does she have to do with it.

My mom had always had this bad habit of telling me, with a negative inflection, that I was just like my dad (they got divorced in '03). Compounded with this incident and her defending my brother, I wrote off that relationship as too toxic and did not want to expose my two young kids to the ordeal.

Dude, you can't change anyone, it's not possible. People can only change themselves. The only way to facilitate this is to try to understand someone, and in turn help them understand themselves. I just can't get behind the notion of, "Well I told that dumbass racist they were wrong, they didn't listen, time to cut em off"

You're totally right, some people will never change and at some point cutting ties may be the best option. I think it should be the last option though.

Sure, you can try to get behind why they think like they do instead of telling them what is wrong about it.

But I can't spite anyone for not doing that, because regardless of their reasons this here:

People who think myself, my friends, my family are less than human, less than deserving of fair treatment, less than anybody else because of their skin color or sexual orientation aren't worth valuing. And the people who normalize, tolerate, and forgive it can get lumped in with them.

is a way of seeing it that I can't say anything against. That's how vile the "views" these people have are.
I don't think I can tell anyone they're wrong for not trying it, especially since I myself am not the target of racism etc.

I find it interesting how so many people on here are willing to just cut off immediate family rather than try and help them. It only took 5 posts to get the first suggestion to do it and it was just a train after.

The answer is not to cut off those closest to you. That is passive aggressive avoidance.

When have you ever heard someone like his brother being "helped" to change from becoming a racist, right-wing asshole to a reasonable, rational person who is for progressive values? It doesn't happen. His brother is not an adolescent. He's an adult who has solidified views about the world and the people in it.

Some people are content with marginalizing their own intelligence and siphoning their hate by succumbing to a perspective harmonious with racism, homophobia, sexism, just overall hatred. And sometimes these same people just can't help but to bounce their narrow-minded opinion onto someone, particularly someone who doesn't subscribe to these warped values. Whether it's a cry for help or whatever, I try to explain to them politely as I can the first time why they're wrong. If that doesn't work, I tell them to shut the fuck up and keep their opinion to themselves. Persistence is a trademark characteristic with these assholes, almost as if they're trying to convince themselves. By that time, I cut them off. Family or friend. Don't need cancers in my circle, stressing me out with their stupidity. Life is stressful enough.

Very well said.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
What if there was a non-sexist racist and a sexist non-racist?

R4X7Z8k.png

So there's no tipping point?

What if they started to express a desire to murder Muslims? Or a desire to see all black people as slaves again? What if they expressed a desire to ban abortions and attack attack abortion clinics to achieve that goal?

At what point do you say to yourself hey, maybe they are too far gone and it might to be time to distance myself from these people? When they murder someone? Blow up a clinic?

I'm genuinely curious.

Shredderi

So there's no tipping point?

What if they started to express a desire to murder Muslims? Or a desire to see all black people as slaves again? What if they expressed a desire to ban abortions and attack attack abortion clinics to achieve that goal?

At what point do you say to yourself hey, maybe they are too far gone and it might to be time to distance myself from these people? When they murder someone? Blow up a clinic?

I'm genuinely curious.

You actually posted some very good tipping points. At those points I don't think they are just racists, but also mentally ill and it's a whole new ball game at that point. I think at that point they are crazy, and even I wouldn't try to rationalize with crazy.

We need to put these type of people through some type of divesting and mental and critical thinking, programs. Because it's humanity can't continue to be like this. We will all be buried before it's all over.

Although the sliver lining here is that. I won't have to deal with. When the time comes.

Uhh, it's absolutely a valid option and probably the healthiest for the OP.

How many racists have you converted with this approach?

I find it interesting how so many people on here are willing to just cut off immediate family rather than try and help them. It only took 5 posts to get the first suggestion to do it and it was just a train after.

The answer is not to cut off those closest to you. That is passive aggressive avoidance.

Yeah you're right, we should just let family drag us down into their horrible little pits of racism or whatever else, because they're family.

What does that have to do with anything? Besides hes actually somewhere between 5'7" and 5'9"

No relevancy. He doesn't like Shapiro or his ideas so he resorts to make fun of the fact that the dude is short instead of trying to debate his ideas. Love him or hate him, agree with him or disagree with him, I think Shapiro would beat most people in a moderated debate.

If my brother ever muttered something blatantly racist in front of me I would knock him the fuck out. ZERO tolerance.

Seems reasonable. I bet he would change immediately after that happened.

Top Bottom