• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My friend just got his 360 banned, presumably for downloading Rayman Legends.

TrueGrime

Played GTA V 2 days before rls, was ok with me. PS3 tho.

So.. someone sold you a copy early and you played on the PS3?

I'm genuinely shocked. So it is okay to play games before the release date on the PS3 if you're lucky to get it early somehow? And it is not even remotely a bannable offense?

It still is kinda worrying. Marketplace theft bans are usually very very rare. Now looking trough the last posts on the xbox support forum there are a lot of people that got banned for marketplace theft. There is a clear rise in bans for marketplace theft over the last two weeks ever since we've known about this starting with Costa Rica and Injustice.

This is too much coincidence if you ask me. If I get banned for this ( I was the thread creator for Oman here on GAF) you will know we are going to hell for this.

In the end was downloading those "free" games by taking advantage of a glitch worth all the stress?

TrueGrime

It still is kinda worrying. Marketplace theft bans are usually very very rare. Now looking trough the last posts on the xbox support forum there are a lot of people that got banned for marketplace theft. There is a clear rise in bans for marketplace theft over the last two weeks ever since we've known about this starting with Costa Rica and Injustice.

This is too much coincidence if you ask me. If I get banned for this ( I was the thread creator for Oman here on GAF) you will know we are going to hell for this.

Strange though. People say they've been doing this for years without any recourse. If they are banning for marketplace stuff, I wonder what triggered it.

Riggs

Banned

I'm genuinely shocked. So it is okay to play games before the release date on the PS3 if you're lucky to get it early somehow? And it is not even remotely a bannable offense?

Ya 80 bucks, found dude on craigslist lol.

Sony does not ban if you play early, MS employs am entire team to catch people playing early. They don't fuck around.

Lima

In the end was downloading those "free" games by taking advantage of a glitch worth all the stress?

No and I will not be doing it again. Heck I could have just bought all of those games on my main account because money is not an issue for me (I currently have nearly 1000€ on my main account for going all digital with Xbox One) but hey I just like to get shit for free.

Why would this matter? It's a video game it's not the end of the world if someone plays it two days early.

And the plot THICKENS

Sorry.. late I know but I just had to post this

tumblr_mt2hx3FKwZ1rjcfxro1_400.gif

That said, this thread has made me laugh lots. Thank you all for your reaction gifs.

And um..well, assuming nothing shady is in fact going on with your friend, I wish him best of luck OP.

Can you maybe edit that info into the OP? It's useful.

So they hit his console + his fake account, but left his primary tag alone. Did he use his fake account on more than one console to whore achievements on the free games?

No. He made the account for the sole purpose of getting Rayman Legends. The Bosnia account was banned and the xbox the game was downloaded to was banned. His main account is fine.

Bleeether

ugh im lost, so is the op spreading lies or is this true? im confused. Also i dont even own an xbox so idk why i even care.

AndrewPL

I was planning to go PS4, XB1 & Wii U for the next generation. If Microsoft can't price their marketplace correctly and are willing to ban consoles/accounts for something they allowed on their system...then I'll happily miss out on the XB1.

TrueGrime

Why would this matter? It's a video game it's not the end of the world if someone plays it two days early.

I guess I'm the only one here that things otherwise unless it is a beta. I would think that if it didn't matter to the gaming world then we'd be free to buy and play as soon as the game came off the factory line.

Small edit.

iammeiam

No. He made the account for the sole purpose of getting Rayman Legends. The Bosnia account was banned and the xbox the game was downloaded to was banned. His main account is fine.

Well, that is closer to making sense if this is all related to Legends. This could get interesting.

The guy cheats on his gamer score by exploiting the system. His ban is probably called for. If you are going to cheat on something as measly as a gamer score it might be a sign that your friend will go to further lengths. I smell something fishy here and I took a shower already.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Someone needs to test this by doing the bosnia trick or some other country to get something free and risk their xbox live account to find out.

The guy cheats on his gamer score by exploiting the system. His ban is probably called for. If you are going to cheat on something as measly as a gamer score it might be a sign that your friend will go to further lengths. I smell something fishy here and I took a shower already.
maybe there's some rotten fish outside in a garbage somewhere

I guess I'm the only one here that things otherwise unless it is a beta. I would think that if it didn't matter to the gaming world then we'd be free to buy and play as soon as the game came off the factory line.

Small edit.
Don't worry in the digital future you can play a game as soon as they press that big go button.

Lima

But then they would reset his gamerscore on his main account.

They would not ban his console and bosnia account for marketplace theft.

Damn guys at least think a little before you post. This will get really interesting for sure. People are talking about it on CAG too.

Anko

Personally, I'm shocked that playing games obtained legally early is bannable. I don't check for the release date sometimes, and just pick up games if I happen to see them in stores, which I assume isn't that uncommon of a scenario. Why do you punish the user when it was possibly the store that was breaking the release date?
I game mostly on the PS3 though, since my 360 died, so I haven't encountered any trouble.

jns

I was planning to go PS4, XB1 & Wii U for the next generation. If Microsoft can't price their marketplace correctly and are willing to ban consoles/accounts for something they allowed on their system...then I'll happily miss out on the XB1.

Thanks for letting us know you're not going to get an Xbone because you can't lie about what country you live in!

wizzbang

Banned
This is going to be a clusterfuck of a thread and it's MICROSOFTS fault- not the gamers.
Don't telll me about ToS I don't give a shit, I don't want to hear it.

It's 2013, the internet is fucking here. I type this post from Australia, land of the angry fucking gamer, shafted and buttfucked by publishers / manufacturers worldwide, region locking stuff, be it youtube videos, games, dlc or whatever? It's bullshit. Changing prices from one region to another? bullshit. It's frustrating and stupid. With the internet we know how much shit costs in other countries now, we're talking openly and constantly with each other.

Why should X get a bargain and not Y? why should A pay twice the price of B? All this stuff pisses the consumer off.
Yeah no doubt this guy broke the ToS - so ban the fucking account which downloaded the game at worst, NOT the fucking console. and as someone said, this is a VERY dumb time to be banning people who are making that big decision - PS4 or Xbox One (sure Sony might do the same thing but doesn't mean it won't sway them)

I've said this before but I went from being a dumbass pirate last generation and for decades on my PC to becoming a legitimate gamer for the last 7 years. Why? because I can import PS3 games at a genuinely reasonable price. I now own at least 40 maybe 50 games. Average price I paid? Probably $35 US each. I'm happy with that figure. Not paying fucking $80 to $110 US each. Do you know what would happen if I HAD to pay $80 US per game? I'd stop fucking gaming.
Stop fucking people and they'll stop trying to find loopholes and for fucks sake don't ban someones entire console because they made a pretty stupid mistake, ban the fucking account and revoke access to the game. Can't do that remotely? Then fucking patch and fix the system so you can.
Ridiculous, $200 brick produced due to silly policy.

Hattori

Banned
TOS or not perma-banning a console for acquiring free stuff is too much. If they are making a big fuss about this kind of thing then they should put forth a better solution, not an extreme one like banning their customers' consoles.

Bleeether

Okay, question: Why would one "cheat" their game score? what significance does it have in xbox, and why would someone go through the trouble of cheating their own score. What do they stand to gain from it?

I don't own an xbox so i am curious. Is this like the equivalent to someone figuring out a way to cheat their user lvl on steam? I'm level 11 on steam and all that means is i spent some money on video games. I really dont get much out of increasing my steam level.

big_z

Just checked the forum I looked through during the last apparent thread on this. There's a massive thread on getting games from other regions there, people have been doing it for over 5 years. Still no reports of bannings from it.

These scare threads which usually turn out to be I'm a pirate feel pitty on me are getting old. The OP is already banned, he just doesn't know it yet.

Lima

Just checked the forum I looked through during the last apparent thread on this. There's a massive thread on getting games from other regions there, people have been doing it for over 5 years. Still no reports of bannings from it.

These scare threads which usually turn out to be I'm a pirate feel pitty on me are getting old. The OP is already banned, he just doesn't know it yet.

Stop saying this. These glitches are a very recent thing and only started happening after the switch from MS points to real currency.

TrueGrime

TOS or not perma-banning a console for acquiring free stuff is too much. If they are making a big fuss about this kind of thing then they should put forth a better solution, not an extreme one like banning their customers' consoles.

Oh wait. I thought the Oman thing was an exploit. Like you had to jerry rig your system in order to trick the system into giving you free stuff.

So if I made an Oman account and went to marketplace, everything on this would say free and I would be free to download it?

I used to have a modded 360 played countless games early including modern warfare 3 like a week and a half early if i remember correctly never banned.If they are banning for silly crap like them screwing up their own marketplace thats just sad.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Personally, I'm shocked that playing games obtained legally early is bannable. I don't check for the release date sometimes, and just pick up games if I happen to see them in stores, which I assume isn't that uncommon of a scenario. Why do you punish the user when it was possibly the store that was breaking the release date?
I game mostly on the PS3 though, since my 360 died, so I haven't encountered any trouble.

I don't want to open up a can of worms here, but how is getting games under the table from mom and pop shops, or some dude on craigslist legal? The way I understand buying games from these kinds of stores requires the store to take the money, give the customer a game and then ring it up the day of release. How is that at all legal?

Sure, the game is legitimate, but the transaction was not.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Stop saying this. These glitches are a very recent thing and only started happening after the switch from MS points to real currency.

Free regional games have happened in the past, I'm pretty sure.

I don't want to open up a can of worms here, but how is getting games under the table from mom and pop shops, or some dude on craigslist legal? The way I understand buying games from these kinds of stores requires the store to take the money, give the customer a game and then ring it up the day of release. How is that at all legal?

There's nothing 'illegal" about that transaction. It does, however, probably violate the vendor agreement that the store has with their distributor/Microsoft/Sony/etc. So, yeah, they'd get in trouble for selling it to you early (hence their cash only policy to create no record), but you shouldn't get in trouble for buying and playing it.

Riggs

Banned

Street dates are not legally binding IIRC. Not 100% sure tho.

Oh wait. I thought the Oman thing was an exploit. Like you had to jerry rig your system in order to trick the system into giving you free stuff.

So if I made an Oman account and went to marketplace, everything on this would say free and I would be free to download it?

Yes. Unless they recently fixed it. Not EVERYTHING. But a decent amount of games.

Lima

Free regional games have happened in the past, I'm pretty sure.

Yes but all with regions that actually have Xbox Live and were incorrectly listed as free.

This new thing with creating accounts in small foreign countries that don't even have Xbox Live to cheat the system is a very recent thing that only has been around for a couple of weeks starting with Costa Rica and Injustice.

zoukka

I can understand banning someone for content "theft", but to ban a user for playing a game early... Wtf. There needs to be a bigger backlash against MS for this shit.

If you don't live in Bosnia, you have no right to spoof your system to say you do so you can swipe a game. It's simple. Exploits are not a right.

iammeiam

The transaction is legal in that it is not a crime. It is a breech of contract on the part of the retailer, but the purchaser has done nothing wrong. The publisher can fine or otherwise penalize the retailer per contract, but the retailer didn't break the law.

MS isn't banning legit people to punish them for buying early, they're doing it because a.) most people playing early who aren't reviewers are probably pirates, and b.) by trading ban revocation for receipt scans, they can go after the retailers who violated their distribution agreements. Funnily enough, pre-180 Xbone could have circumvented the problem by just refusing to activate the game until release. If the Xbone gets hacked 360-style, we'll probably end up here again.

big_z

Yes but all with regions that actually have Xbox Live and were incorrectly listed as free.

This new thing with creating accounts in small foreign countries that don't even have Xbox Live to cheat the system is a very recent thing that only has been around for a couple of weeks starting with Costa Rica and Injustice.

Wrong sleeping dogs, assasins creed 3 and some others were obtainable via the same methods. These errors have nothing to do with the points change, they've been happening for a long time and no one has been directly banned for it.

zainetor

Banned
You have nothing to worry, if you have the receipt, which shows the date of.your purchase. And its not.a common thing. I played a lot of games early in the past, and.nothing.happened.to my account.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Strange though. People say they've been doing this for years without any recourse. If they are banning for marketplace stuff, I wonder what triggered it.

High visibility threads about game stealing + at least two well placed MS employees on the forum...

big_z

I can understand banning someone for content "theft", but to ban a user for playing a game early... Wtf. There needs to be a bigger backlash against MS for this shit.

It seems bans for early access seem to be only some games. I wonder if its a publisher request.

Lima

Wrong sleeping dogs, assasins creed 3 and some others were obtainable via the same methods. These errors have nothing to do with the points change, they've been happening for a long time and no one has been directly banned for it.

Sleeping Dogs? Can't find anything on google with that being free ever on any marketplace. Please share a link.

AC3 in China was different. Xbox Live went live (kinda) in China when AC3 was free. You could just queue up the game on xbox.com or visit the marketplace if you knew Chinese.

This is way different from making an account in an unsupported region with no Xbox Live marketplace, going to your recent games list and searching for specific stuff that would then come up as free because of a glitch in the system (we still don't know why or how it works).

Top Bottom