• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hands-On DMC4 Impressions are full of lies

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbovo

Ned Flanders said:
EDIT: Just got a phone call..already!! Sorry I don't want to get anyone fired..please forgive me..
12345812dd.gif

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

brocke

Banned
Bearillusion said:
You just confirmed it as real.

Wow. I feel sorry for those who didn't read what he said. This could change the face of gaming.

*I don't live in Texas

i didn't fully understand the impressions in post one but i guess it could change the face of gaming. did seem rather intuitive.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
someone pm me the spesifics!!! unless that's bannable... then don't. ;)

Dahbomb

The only reason why this thread isn't locked because the first post is 100% legit and the mods know this. The other people here are just ****ing around and the ones who saw it are cock teasing.

God I am going to go cry in my closet now... :lol

DMC fanboy am cry total!

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Dahbomb said:
The only reason why this thread isn't locked because the first post is 100% legit and the mods know this. The other people here are just ****ing around and the ones who saw it are cock teasing.

God I am going to go cry in my closet now... :lol

DMC fanboy am cry total!

Yea...i missed them too. :( I was in the middle of a Defcon game.

Brobzoid

gah, I go to sleep for one hour and this is what's waiting when I get up? thanks alot gaf :'(

ps; my pm box is still thin on dmc4 spesifics.... :\

Brobzoid said:
gah, I go to sleep for one hour and this is what's waiting when I get up? thanks alot gaf :'(

ps; my pm box is still thin on dmc4 spesifics.... :\

I'd PM you the details but I like being on the inside. If everyones on the inside we may as well all be on the outside. Or something.

Brobzoid

Bearillusion said:
I'd PM you the details but I like being on the inside. If everyones on the inside we may as well all be on the outside. Or something.

but, but, but... I will nevar sleep aganz! :'( damn my eyes for demanding rest.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Bearillusion said:

you might as well just tell them if you're going to hide so many clues in your posts

castle007

Banned
Guys!!

I already posted his impressions on the first page!!!

He wrote that the game is looking good.
There will be levels in the game, but mostly minigames
You can play as Dante and some other dude
It is coming to PS3, an xbox 360 version is being considered, but not confirmed
There will be bosses and mini bosses
The return of that blonde from the first game
revival???
Remakes of levels from the second game
There are considering a new devil form
New enemies, and new items
less challenging
Ballet mode (that blonde lady will be the instructer)
A fairy will heal you
References to julia roberts movies
Hardgay costume

ofcourse these are all just rumors, and pulled out of my ass

castle007

Banned
Bearillusion said:

Is this a gay out of closet post or something????

j/k

Sweet! Because of the I always copy my posts before sending them in the event of an error, I was able to just paste the original post off the clipboard to let you all see the original thread content. Ban me if you want, not like it hasn't happened before. At least The Staminator had the conscience to see the error of his ways and attempt to bail out before further damage ensued.

Warning: Bolded for ridiculous content...note the subtlety of it's inclusion!

W00T Ok so I got a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for a sit down with an early-ish build of Capcom's upcoming PS3 flagship. Don't ask for the specifics of the arrangement because I've been sworn to secrecy that I'm not to divulge my sources. That said, you can assume that I've got some well-placed friends in high places, if you will.

Anyway, first off let me say that yes, Dante will be playable, but not in the form you may suspect. I won't go into more detail than that, but lets just say that you're in for the suprise of your life upon completing the one-play...err, I mean, the story mode. Nero is obviously the primary protagonist, but given everything I've been told about how the game plays out, I'd venture a guess that he will be among the more quickly forgotten characters in videogame history. Perhaps the only notable thing about him, outside of his outward similarity to Dante, is the freaking bulging cod-piece showcased on the newer tweaked build of his character model. I couldn't remember seeing any sign of such a thing in previous media/TGS vids etc, but it's blatantly apparent in the version I played (along with some sort of gauntlets he's sporting..I didn't think to ask whether these were gameplay related or just cosmetic..sorry) that this guy is sporting a hefty unit. It's almost ridiculous..completely unprecedented for a videogame in my estimation.

Graphically, the game is everything you've seen/heard. Sickening detail (player and enemy models look near-CG in both detail and animation) and I can confirm an already near butter smooth 60fps in the portions I've played in the new build. It seems like the team has ramped up their efforts to give the entire look of game a visual boost, even going as far as tweaking core engine code for greater optimization (my words, the jargon was a little over my head ). The Variel boss battle is truly staggering in terms of effects and magnitude, and the lighting seems even more striking than in the other media shown in recent months. The only slightly disappointing aspect of the visuals was that in the other stages I was shown (outside of the stuff seen at TGS) there seems to be a pre-occupation with using various shades of pink, both in the lighting and overall color pallete. Seems to be an attempt at stylizing the look, and my "source" said that the team was looking to push the envelope and maintain a completely unique look/feel in order to differentiate the game from previous titles in the series (same reason they opted to go with Nero over Dante etc). I was a little put off by the look, but you can't argue that it's not extremely visually impressive on a technical level, pink/fuchsia or not. I'm hoping that it's only limited to the other two stages I got to play and doesn't end up being overblown in the later levels. Oh and the particle effects and water effects in this game are AMAZING to witness rendered in realtime. The visuals have no peer in this regard among any upcoming title I've seen.

My playtime was limited to 5-10 minutes of actual hands-on (I was given a needlessly drawn out walkthrough/demonstration by my "source") but I was immediately taken aback by the responsiveness of the controls. I don't know if they've incorporated some kind of physics calc thanks to the greater power afforded by the PS3 or if it's simply because it's a new game, but the character control feels even more intuitive and responsive than DMC3, making movement and interaction seem effortless. The demon arm is featured prominently and really does spice up the action..slamming and displacing baddies at will is quite the visceral thrill, and even the classic sword and gunplay has been completely revamped in terms of animation and the way you incorporate them into using the demon arm. They showed me some killer combos (I had trouble pulling off some of the newer stuff in my limited playtime) mixing in the arm with your weapons and even using enemies against each other. I was initially opposed to altering the DMC3 formula singificantly, but in all it felt more like they had broken down some of the pre-existing barriers from the old setup than just deliberately messed with a good thing. Every single button on the PS3 controller (BTW the setup I had was wired using a DS2, go figure) is utilized in regular combat, and the new hand-to-hand mechanism will have you mashing every button and clicking every stick, sometimes in unison, in order to demolish your foes. I had only previously heard hints of its implementation, but the hand to hand setup is probably more innovative (or unique, anyway) on the whole than the addition of the demon arm mechanics. It's basically a rhythm based attack setup, not altogether different from PaRappa-type mechanics found in GoW and the like. At various points, Nero finds himself disarmed and stripped of his weaponry, leaving you no option but to duke it out for yourself (along with the demon arm, of course) against your foes. The animation seems early in the build I saw, as the flow of the fights more closely resembled a PaRappa-like rhythm than the more visceral, intense stuff in GoW, but there's still more than a year to sharpen it up and from my understanding there will be at least one boss fight that has the hand-to-hand elements incorporated.

In all I left extremely impressed with the game in spite of the fact that it's more than a year off. I felt like, with a little enhancement here and there and some finalizing of the level design, they could ship this game at launch and it would be head and shoulders above 99% of other AAA developer's best stuff. Capcom is truly in the zone at the moment (I also got to talk Lost Planet with the guys for a while!! Awesome!!!) and seems to be on the leading edge of next-gen game design. Despite being "just another sequel", after playing with their build, I can't help but be absolutely mindblown with excitement to get my hands on this one. Apparently they have a demo in the works for next spring (not unlike the LP demo released nearly a year before the game is slated to ship) that is going to show off some of the new gameplay mechanics and give everyone the peek that I was so lucky to be afforded. Keep the questions brief, please.

The thought just came to me when I considered how readily we accept so-called "impressions" and exclusive first-looks from largely suspect and subjective sources. I wanted to see how much I could get away with if I made things sound as legitimate as possible and used the excuse of secrecy (as is often utilized in gaming media) in order to justify vaguery and ambiguity of content. Hope I am forgiven. Perhaps this will serve as a learning experience for both GAF and myself. Or something..

gbovo

Bearillusion said:

drohne said:
you might as well just tell them if you're going to hide so many clues in your posts

I think I've figured it out...unfortunaely :(
Dante or Nero is gay
:(

holy crap thanks for those impressions!

This game is going to be soo awesome. I hope you don't get fired for saying all that. Thanks again.

Dahbomb

Phallic imagery confirmed for DMC4 total! It's a series staple now:

Vergil_SE2.jpg

Oh and I crapped my pants at the new information... well aside from maybe the hand to hand only combat stuff and that pink/fuschia area.

In case I was not clear.

ITS F*CKING FAKE.

The only guys I know from Capcom are Blanka and Guile and thats because they live in the hard drive on my 360. Capiece?

gbovo

Ned Flanders said:
In case I was not clear.

ITS F*CKING FAKE.

The only guys I know from Capcom are Blanka and Guile and thats because they live in the hard drive on my 360. Capiece?
liar :p

So the game looks even better than it did at TGS -- wow. DMC4 is easily one of the best looking games for PS3, 60 fps to boot.

I'm glad Capcom's mixing it up, DMC4 will be a whole new beast.

Other devs of other action games are busy incorperating shit that Capcom did in the yesterday (like instant weapon switching), meantime Capcom shrugs and innovates new things.

The hand to hand fighting system seems a little bit like God Hand no?

*EDIT, if this is fake I will rape Mr. Bob.

castle007

Banned
C- Warrior said:
So the game looks even better than it did at TGS -- wow. DMC4 is easily one of the best looking games for PS3, 60 fps to boot.

I'm glad Capcom's mixing it up, DMC4 will be a whole new beast.

Other devs of other action games are busy incorperating shit that Capcom did in the yesterday (like instant weapon switching), meantime Capcom shrugs and innovates new things.

The hand to hand fighting system seems a little bit like God Hand no?

*EDIT, if this is fake I will rape Mr. Bob.

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Ned Flanders said:
The only guys I know from Capcom are Blanka and Guile and thats because they live in the hard drive on my 360. Codpiece?

man, this is getting to be a fixation with you

NED FLANDERS -- MESMERIZED BY NERO'S DIGITAL DONG

xaosslug

Ned Flanders said:
The thought just came to me when I considered how readily we accept so-called "impressions" and exclusive first-looks from largely suspect and subjective sources. I wanted to see how much I could get away with if I made things sound as legitimate as possible and used the excuse of secrecy (as is often utilized in gaming media) in order to justify vaguery and ambiguity of content. Hope I am forgiven. Perhaps this will serve as a learning experience for both GAF and myself. Or something..

oh please, now you're attempting to pass your bastardly deed off as some kind of case study? ;p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Ned Flanders said:
I'm serious. I wove all that crap into some semi-serious discussion about stuff thats already been covered, and everyone bought it. I felt guilty and came up with a fake reason to remove that nonsense before it spiraled out of control. I don't know anyone at Capcom. I live in f*cking Texas.

Hey, I was bored...and this is GAF and all.

So wait...I DO know people at Capcom (living in Osaka has its benefits). Does my spewing nonsense make it true?

djkimothy

Why am I always late to the party?

I'll just start making up game impressions in my head just so I can feel some satisfaction.

fartblast

Banned
you shouldn't be able to play DMC unless you're still in high school seriously i tried DMC3 the other day and it was the absolute corniest thing ive ever had the opportunity of playing., made me realize how good of a game ninja gaiden is compared to it.

Brobzoid

what is this? I thought there would be some bannings going around, one way or the other :\

oh, well. I luv y'allz

karasu

fartblast said:
you shouldn't be able to play DMC unless you're still in high school seriously i tried DMC3 the other day and it was the absolute corniest thing ive ever had the opportunity of playing., made me realize how good of a game ninja gaiden is compared to it.

Sounds like you missed the point.

BuddyC

Hey guys, whats going on?

Ned Flanders said:
I'm serious. I wove all that crap into some semi-serious discussion about stuff thats already been covered, and everyone bought it. I felt guilty and came up with a fake reason to remove that nonsense before it spiraled out of control. I don't know anyone at Capcom. I live in f*cking Texas.

Hey, I was bored...and this is GAF and all.
Oh.

Yea, though amusing, don't make up fake stuff and try to pass it off a legit just because you're bored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom