• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia Anime |OT| Go Beyond! PLUS ULTRA! (No Manga spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
One thing I love about this series, is that the whole "ore ga kita!" thing is introduced as kind of like a cheesy superhero catch phrase, but when All Might arrives in the dome, when you hear those words, you and the people in the story are put in a position where the words that just seemed like a catch phrase before, all of a sudden have incredible weight.

In that moment, and the scenes that follow, All Might goes from being a TV superhero into a real honest to god hero. The hype and the mythos becomes real and it's like holy shit.

Jintor

I'm curious sprsk, do you think "For I'm here" or "For I have come" is a better translation?

Also sneak a plus ultra into next week's 8-4 kthnx

kurahador

I'm guessing we won't find out the villain who severely injures All Might anytime soon. I thought it would be the creepy hands dude.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I'm curious sprsk, do you think "For I'm here" or "For I have come" is a better translation?

Also sneak a plus ultra into next week's 8-4 kthnx

It's another one that's kinda tough cause, "I am here" is so simple it works. I'm not sure you want to get too ornate with the language considering his character.

Some ideas off the top of my head would be like:

"I have arrived" (basically the same kind of deal, just with a little more bravado)

"All Might is here" (Like as a reference to the famous "Never fear, Superman is here!" line, which I'm guessing might be the inspiration in the first place, considering All Might is anime Superman.)

cntr

Banned
UA having a Latinate motto with "Plus Ultra" is a nice touch too, since it often feels like a hybrid of a high school and a college in terms of how maturely the characters behave about their education.

GeoGonzo

I wonder if they'll use "Plus Ultra" on the castilian spanish dub... because around here Plus Ultra is kind of the national motto (and, well, also an insurance company).

T-Rex.

Banned
Was Noumu being controlled by the hand guy? I noticed that he just stands around without doing anything until he's actually given a direct command, or until he's called.

cntr

Banned
His name means "no brain". Noumu's a bioengineered creature with no intelligence, so he can only listen to Hands.

kurahador

I don't understand how Assassination Classroom second season was made immediately while this, Attack On Titan and One Punch Man seems in the bubble.

Ascheroth

I don't understand how Assassination Classroom second season was made immediately while this, Attack On Titan and One Punch Man seems in the bubble.

Yep. AoT and OPM had no more material, while Assassination Classroom did and was also popular.
MHA has enough material left and the annoucement that got linked 3 posts above you might be for a season 2, so fingers crossed.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
This shit is DBZ-level slow. I read the manga and pretty much liked it, so it's not like I'm aching to know what happens next but it's hard for me to understand why anime-only watchers would like it. Feels like it could've been done in 1/2 to 2/3 the episodes.

This shit is DBZ-level slow. I read the manga and pretty much liked it, so it's not like I'm aching to know what happens next but it's hard for me to understand why anime-only watchers would like it. Feels like it could've been done in 1/2 to 2/3 the episodes.

Anime watchers still watch shippuden which is 8x as slow as mha and one piece which is like 4x as slow it's not major for most of us.

Palabrah

Because it's really not slow.

In 12 episodes they introduced the concept, main character, had him face adversity, had him train to get the power, had them do field tests in the school, had them face off with robots with eraser head, had them do the hero v villain test with all might, had the breach of the villains where they had their conflicts, and now all might has showed up.

What shounen anime pushes out this much movement in 12 episodes? It's slow compared to the manga but manga is often much more concise. Chounin exams were 47 episodes.

Jintor

you've forgotten how slow dbz is if you think that was dbz level slow. Namek takes 10 episodes to explode after Frieza decides it has about 5 minutes left in it.

(mind you All Might decides he only has one minute left in him and goes the full episode, but still)

Palabrah

you've forgotten how slow dbz is if you think that was dbz level slow. Namek takes 10 episodes to explode after Frieza decides it has about 5 minutes left in it.

(mind you All Might decides he only has one minute left in him and goes the full episode, but still)
Right. In the,average anime the breach part would be 15 episodes instead of the last like 3.

cntr

Banned
To be fair, All Might doesn't have a literal time limit, he has an estimate of how long he can last without strain.

His one minute ran out long before.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Lack of manga material.
Assassination Classroom had plenty of material, and had recently ended (allowing for two seasons to tell the whole story)
Attack on Titan Season 1 covered the first 8 volumes. By the time the show finished, only 11 volumes were out. Not enough for a second season. Now there's 19 volumes and plenty of material for Season 2.
One Punch Man covered the first 7 volumes. Right now there's only 11. With the lax schedule of chapter releases, it's going to be a LONG time before we get a Season 2.

Oddly enough, MHA actually has plenty of material for a Season 2. Which will hopefully happen.

oh apparently this is fake, since there's nothing on any BONES official account about it
n3ZjNg3.jpg

Im dead

zulux21

Oddly enough, MHA actually has plenty of material for a Season 2. Which will hopefully happen.

ideally not only will it happen but it will happen in the fall anime season.

there are two ways to adapt a weekly shonen show nearly perfectly.

A. Do a 22-26 episode season once a year. See Major or Shokugeki no Soma.
B. Be do two seperate 11-13 episode seasons in a year. Ideally what we will get from MHA.

the reason these work is because as long as the episode count is somewhere between 22-26 you can put two chapters per episode and in general never run out of content to work with since the manga will replenish what you used up over that year. It means you can make a consistent release without the need for filler.

thus ideally with MHA it's merely a case of on for a season, off for a season on off on off, where every spring and fall we get more MHA until the end of its run.

Ascheroth

why didn't he just punch him in the brain

the exposed brain

that's just lying there exposed

I assume the shock absorption quirk also works for exposed brain matter.
But it's so obvious that it might also be some sort of trap or is only decoration considering how brainy Noumu acts.

Wow, what an episode. All Might was amazing, truly amazing.
Can i add how much i love his design? I love his a tribute to american heroes, I love the use of full black shadows, I love how he name his attacks. As a fan of the mythology of superheores I love everything about him.

I wonder if they'll use "Plus Ultra" on the castilian spanish dub... because around here Plus Ultra is kind of the national motto (and, well, also an insurance company).

Is the castillian spanish dub confirmed? Long shonens that are not Dragon Ball dont usually get full anime translations anymore. Maybe in catalan, but thats it.

I know Canal Plus already are dubbing One Punch Man, but that seems like its going to be a smaller series in terms of episodes in the future, like HotD and Attack on Titan.
BYW, I like how they are using new young valencian dubbing studios to dub all this new series to spanish. Good to give these professional voice actors jobs in anime after they lost them when Canal Nou closed.

I also they dont think they are going to have much problem with Plus Ultra.

EDIT Just saw the manga comes out in Spain in October, and the first one only for 3 euros. Will buy it.

Clgq8eEWkAAruy5.jpg:large

This was a hot episode at times and at others kind of boring. All Might is how I feel about superhero movies when that overrated one gets screentime, its like how I felt in superman v batman and superman had scenes, or in any xmen movie with wolverine getting screentime, such a drag. Oh well fortunately, these scenes constantly and consistently had Bakugou, Todoroki, or Kirishima getting screentime. Kirishima and Bakugou get the mvp awards and Todoroki makes nice effort, though I wish he had a different Yuki Kaji voice.

Jigolo

Good episode but damn the anime changes are bad and the actual animation just doesn't feel like Boku no Hero. Bones is doing something weird man. This was one of my favorite chapters in the manga so I was hoping they'd do it justice, and they did, a little bit.

ok animation, shit pacing is just killing my enjoyment for the anime because the guy just draws so good

NEO0MJ

All Might is how I feel about superhero movies when that overrated one gets screentime, its like how I felt in superman v batman and superman had scenes, or in any xmen movie with wolverine getting screentime, such a drag. Oh well fortunately, these scenes constantly and consistently had Bakugou, Todoroki, or Kirishima getting screentime. Kirishima and Bakugou get the mvp awards and Todoroki makes nice effort, though I wish he had a different Yuki Kaji voice.

I'm gonna have to stop you there. All Might is one of the better characters in the show, and this episode helped show why.

-Even though he could have waited for the other instructors to arrive, he rushed to the dome himself even though he's weaker than he ever was before, and already pushed past his limits for the day.
-He made sure to help the students first and even risked his own safety to save Bakugan, giving him injuries and spending precious time. He quickly saw through the villains thin philosophical argument for the rubbish it actually was.
-He found a way to take out a beast that was supposedly designed to take him out, and not by swinging wildly. He played it smart and figures out how to use Nomu's confidence against him, knowing he had limited time All Might landed quick but carefully landed strikes all over Nomu's body, dishing out damage faster than his internals can heal and eventually knocking him out.

Aside from his deep care for others, the reason he did all that was to show them that he's truly the symbol of peace, a larger than life figure who can go beyond what others call impossible and always brings comfort and hope to people, letting them know that things are going to be fine. Even though the villains seem to already know he was weaker than before they were dumbstruck by him that day, cementing his current standing.
He even tried to hold his smile during his fight with Nomu, most evident with the knockout punch.

SOLDIER

I'm gonna have to stop you there. All Might is one of the better characters in the show, and this episode helped show why.

-Even though he could have waited for the other instructors to arrive, he rushed to the dome himself even though he's weaker than he ever was before, and already pushed past his limits for the day.
-He made sure to help the students first and even risked his own safety to save Bakugan, giving him injuries and spending precious time. He quickly saw through the villains thin philosophical argument for the rubbish it actually was.
-He found a way to take out a beast that was supposedly designed to take him out, and not by swinging wildly. He played it smart and figures out how to use Nomu's confidence against him, knowing he had limited time All Might landed quick but carefully landed strikes all over Nomu's body, dishing out damage faster than his internals can heal and eventually knocking him out.

Aside from his deep care for others, the reason he did all that was to show them that he's truly the symbol of peace, a larger than life figure who can go beyond what others call impossible and always brings comfort and hope to people, letting them know that things are going to be fine. Even though the villains seem to already know he was weaker than before they were dumbstruck by him that day, cementing his current standing.
He even tried to hold his smile during his fight with Nomu, most evident with the knockout punch.

Just like with Goku, Japanese authors prove they can write a way better Superman than what we've got nowadays.

NEO0MJ

Just like with Goku, Japanese authors prove they can write a way better Superman than what we've got nowadays.

All might does a good job at beating MOS Superman but not Goku. It's not just about defeating impossible odds, there's the whole inspiring people aspect that Goku is missing. Mr.Satan does a better job than him at that :p

Dahbomb

Um yeah All Might is far more of a Superman character than Goku.

His main goal is inspiring people and saving lives. He knows why he has to be the symbol of peace above all costs. He puts other above himself.

Goku's main goal is to have a good fight.

DaveH

Just like with [any single-author creator-owned work of finite duration], Japanese authors prove [as a poor straw man] they can write a way better Superman [the world will barely know] than what we've got nowadays.
This is and always has been a ridiculous comparison.

Mainstream comic characters are corporately owned and exist in a collective consciousness spanning close to a century for Superman. You have a myriad of takes, tastes, and trends over that time. Civil rights and desegregation is newer than Superman. The state of Alaska is newer than Superman.

No mangaka has to contend with expectations on an eternal emblem, no mangaka is constrained by editorial or audience to present a classic again and again as somehow unchanging but always fresh and new, no mangaka is holding back for their own creator-owned works because this is their creator owned shot at glory.

Just because they're both sequential art doesn't make the expectations on both the same. Between 1986 and 1994, Superman featured in 541 issues. 5.6 books a month, full-color at a faster pace than the most relentless mangaka, all while trying to maintain continuity and coherence across different creator visions, teams, and titles. That's just a small 7 year slice out of 77 years.

At best, the comparison says, "Let someone do a long run immune from interference and greatness can arise..." not "does arise" because even with the advantages of weekly storytelling, no expectations, creator-controlled continuity... the vast majority of manga is not noteworthy. Pointing to an exception as proof of prevalence is pointless.

Yes, most Superman stories aren't great, but neither are most comics or most manga... otherwise your definition of "great" is so broad as to be pointless. However, it's a machine that's good at what it does.

Hypron

I just ordered the first 4 volumes of the manga after really liking the anime. It's cool that there aren't that many volumes out yet, as it means there's a lower cost of entry. Now that I'm up to date I can buy the volumes as they come out every couple of months. I'd like to do that for a couple of other manga but once they are 10+volumes in it starts getting pretty dam expensive...

I can't with All Might's punch, it's my favourite animated punch ever. Exceptional delivery from the VA in the whole scene, incredible OST, epic animation. I love it.

cntr

Banned
This is and always has been a ridiculous comparison.

[snip]
Amen.

The author is a comics nerd, for what it's worth. Deku's "weakling hero is gifted super strength" is like Captain America's backstory, Iida's "family of speedsters spanning generations" is sort of like the Flash.

The manga even has English sfx alongside the Japanese sfx; Horikoshi's fluent in English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom