• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

cntr

Banned
Sorry for the double post, but reposting a theory I posted on reddit:

The quirk that can grant quirks is almost certainly called All for One. But what limitations does it have?

One theory that I like goes that AFO can draw out dormant quirks -- so Noumu was genetically thrown together to use this.

I can think of at least two interesting plotlines for this:

AFO activates the quirks Deku was supposed to have -- fire breathing + attraction, if he was not quirkless. The problem is that, why would the AFO user do it on Deku?

The AFO user could force Shouto's siblings to activate their latent ice or fire powers, replicating the ice/fire ability that Endeavor wants -- I could see Endeavor being whitemailed by the AFO user to do things for him this way.

Given that Trueman went specifically to All Might to tell him about AFO, I'm guessing that AM's faced AFO before -- the mastermind is the one who injured him.

Likewise, Shigaraki is going to inherit AFO. He's being set up as the mirror-Deku, story-wise:

Deku: a child but highly mature, has a focused goal and motivation, was raised quirkless, is a completely normal human, has One for All, being trained as the hero to lead the next generation and replace All Might

Hands: an adult but highly immature, has no particular goal and loses motivation when things don't go his way, was likely raised with multiple quirks, an artificial human?, will have All for One?, being trained as the villain to lead the next generation and destroy All Might

SalvaPot

Sorry for the double post, but reposting a theory I posted on reddit:

I don´t think All for One can grant quirks, but the parallels between Deku and Hands is so clever it makes sense.

Also I agree with everyone, Iida has so many flags raised I have no idea what is going to happen to him, but killing him this early in the story seems like a waste, since we still have no real emotional connection between Deku and Iida that might set a dramatic tone. I think he is going the anti-hero route.

cntr

Banned
I don´t think All for One can grant quirks, but the parallels between Deku and Hands is so clever it makes sense.
Well, they explicitly say that there's a quirk that can grant quirks in the latest chapter, and it would make perfect sense to name it "All for One".

SalvaPot

Well, they explicitly say that there's a quirk that can grant quirks in the latest chapter, and it would make perfect sense to name it "All for One".

Oh I now realized its a pun, One for All reversed. Got it, carry on then, but sounds overpowered in a way, I guess its the kind of quirk that removes quirks from someone and gives it to someone else.

cntr

Banned
Oh I now realized its a pun, One for All reversed. Got it, carry on then, but sounds overpowered in a way, I guess its the kind of quirk that removes quirks from someone and gives it to someone else.
The phrase "One for All" originates from a line in the Three Musketeers, "All for one, and one for all!" -- it makes perfect sense for it to be counterpart quirks.

As for limitation, the best guess is that it requires the DNA of the quirk to be present to bestow the power. Hence why Noumu has the DNA of 5 people, and hence why Hands is likely an artificial human as well.

Anyway, follow up theory I just came up with:

All Might worries about people stealing One for All, and the obvious assumption is that to get One for All, you just need to ingest some of All Might or Deku's DNA -- but that would be really easy, you know? You could get OFA by accidentally using their toothbrush if it worked that way.

So maybe the user needs to be intending to do it if they want to transfer OFA, and it's not just simply ingesting DNA -- so why does All Might worry?

Enter All for One. If AFO really does rely on activating quirk DNA, and All Might knows this, then OFA can be stolen -- but instead of being done by anybody, you need All for One.

So you'd need the One for All user to will it to transfer the power, normally, but the DNA activation skills of All for One can bypass this and activate One for All without the original user's permission.

Vito

Banned
oh there's a thread for the manga? here

CIC-MmsUEAAEGg5.jpg:orig

Nightbird

Yeah they aren't exactly fantastic battle quirks are they?

no really haha.

I mean it's great for stuff like Bullets if you can actually slow down the Speed of wich stuff moves towards you, and if they are close enough you can melt them.

But that makes the Quirks only defensive, there's still next to zero offensive possibillities outside of intimidating the Enemy with the Fire-breathing.

Yeah they aren't exactly fantastic battle quirks are they?

In combination they could be pretty devastating. Supplementing hand-to-hand combat with pulling objects and firebreathing sounds like it'd be hell on wheels, and if the former is powerful enough you can guarantee hand-to-hand combat.

Grexeno

In combination they could be pretty devastating. Supplementing hand-to-hand combat with pulling objects and firebreathing sounds like it'd be hell on wheels, and if the former is powerful enough you can guarantee hand-to-hand combat.
Well the attraction quirk is specifically small objects, and we have no idea how powerful his dad's firebreathing is.

ss-hikaru

I can't wait till August when Viz release the tankobons because I am seriously confused due to missing 30 or so chapters ^^;

For some reason Iida's battle outfit reminds me of digimon.

Ashodin

aw shit he's gonna slowly let it empower all his physical functions and eventually get up to All Might's status (where he looks buff all the time).
YISS

cntr

Banned
please no swole deku
I doubt we'll get swole Deku. They already established that Deku's techniques are different from All Might's, and that's why he needs to learn how to use One for All differently. And All Might was swole before he got OFA, so that means that he's based around being swole. Deku isn't.

Pappasman

Deku's powering up scene was great. The visual effect of his body's power up is awesome. Much better than hulking out like All Might.

Deku seems like hes getting bulky or either just appeared that way in the scenes with him in shorts and t-shirt, didnt like it much. I really wanted to see him wall jump.

More time could have been spend with Bakugou.

Top Bottom