• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Internet Service isn't nearly as fast as it should be. Any tips?

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
So I live in the Pittsburgh area and have Zoom Internet. I have their "Zoom" package (service levels described) which claims to have "up to 150mb/s" download speeds.

Now I have my PS4 pro running with an Ethernet cord directly to the modem yet it says I'm only getting 30mb/s and I've tried several speed test sites as well. Some streaming services stall or drop in quality especially if I'm wireless (two story house with the modem and router in the basement)

Is there anything I can do to get closer to the speed I'm supposed to be on or do I need to allow more overhead because of multiple devices and such putting a strain on the network? We run a business so I thought maybe having 3 people on their phones and a couple computers sucking on the internet at the same time threw those speeds so far down.

Last edited:

Jezbollah

It could be that your internet provider has traffic shaping on the go. With regards to your other devices, it might be worth looking into a nested wifi solution such as Google Wifi to improve internal wireless connectivity, especially being in a building that has multiple devices on multiple floors.

Filippos

Banned
Ok weird. Did u try:

- to use a different device for speed testing?
- using WiFi?
- changing the Ethernet cable?
- or maybe a new/different router?
Anything of this could be faulty,

Karmic Raze

Yeah, get some internet that doesn’t fucking suck.

giphy.gif

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Ok weird. Did u try:

- to use a different device for speed testing?
- using WiFi?
- changing the Ethernet cable?
- or maybe a new/different router?
Anything of this could be faulty,
Yeah maybe the cable. I know it's old though the tv gets similar speeds with a newer one (I have Ethernet going into the fire cube). I might try to test that. Since it's of cable to run I'll bring the PS4 downstairs and plug it in there to give a test

DrNeroCF

I'll double check that. Used to only have one ethernet port and they did replace it with a more recent one with 4 but I'll inquire

DOCSIS 2.0 will top out at 40mbps, 3.0 and 3.1 will be more than enough. If you got a new modem anytime recently you should be fine, though. You can check your router address to see how many channels are being bonded, it's entirely possible there's an issue there, weak signal, too strong a signal... How old is your wiring? I had to put my modem on a newer line and unhook the splitter (don't have cable). You're not using speedtest from the ps4, right? Most consoles and older mobile devices don't tend to hit peak performance, even over ethernet.

Also make sure your Wifi is AC, and 100% don't use the wireless built into the modem, they're garbage.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
DOCSIS 2.0 will top out at 40mbps, 3.0 and 3.1 will be more than enough. If you got a new modem anytime recently you should be fine, though. You can check your router address to see how many channels are being bonded, it's entirely possible there's an issue there, weak signal, too strong a signal... How old is your wiring? I had to put my modem on a newer line and unhook the splitter (don't have cable). You're not using speedtest from the ps4, right? Most consoles and older mobile devices don't tend to hit peak performance, even over ethernet.

Also make sure your Wifi is AC, and 100% don't use the wireless built into the modem, they're garbage.
Holy cow ok I'll check on all this. Thank you!

Top Bottom