• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"seems that the [new] PS5 is becoming like the Xbox... in a very bad way" Digital Foundry, or basically how the console are turning into services

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I think its great that PS5 is turning into services.
nZwmoGw.gif

RickMasters

You're not looking at it from a practical standpoint, and from a position of hindsight.

Nintendo have had fantastic backwards compatibility given that for much of their (and gaming's) existence, physical media has been the main form of getting games out. And given the infancy of computer gaming, and computers in general, the technology has changed a lot and often.

For Nintendo

Gameboy --> GBA
GBA --> DS Lite (and also playable on GameCube)
DS (phat) --> New 3DS
GameCube --> Wii (sort of Wii U, but the GameCube wasn't a success so they didn't bother making it workable)

The DS line had run its course by the time of the Switch (13 years) and after the Wii U, Nintendo were looking for a fresh start. Other than also being ARM, the Switch was a complete change in design.

So we'll have to see with the Switch's successor, but there's nothing in Nintendo's history to say that chances of backwards compatibility with the Switch will be low.
thats a whole lot of nothing, you are saying..... tell that to the wii users who cant load up any of the virtual console games they bought on their switches.

RickMasters

Bruh, just buy the digital version then and shut up.

Why do you want to rain on other people's parade when them getting what they'd like affects you in absolutely no way?
Bruh just shut up and move on if you dont like a difference of opinion to yours.

Its like you didnt read what the thread was about and just came wading into the thread blindly spouting your opinions. Im not raining on anybodies parade...im giving my two cents like everybody else, here. get over it and DO try to stay on topic. jesus..... :pie_eyeroll:

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Bruh just shut up and move on if you dont like a difference of opinion to yours.

It’s like you didnt read what the thread was about and just came wading into the thread blindly spouting your opinions. Im not raining on anybodies parade...im giving my two cents like everybody else, here. get over it and DO try to stay on topic. jesus..... :pie_eyeroll:
You are factually wrong though. There are still major advantages for physical media for customers.

4K UHD BluRay disks have normally (if properly done) much higher bitrate then 4K streaming media.

Physical media allows customers to share and resell their purchases. In addition down the line there is some protection against media being pulled from digital services.

Physical media can also be cheaper to purchase depending where you live and ongoing sales. In Europe it’s generally cheaper to go physical if you are looking for Day 1 (or even Day 20) release.

The ones who really benefit from death of physical media are megacorps. Why defend them? Well, unless you are getting paid, and if so nvm.

Arguments that PC went same way are wrong. Unless we are talking Denuvo (and even with some of Denuvo titles), most PC games (or even other media) can be backed up. GoG from CDPR is structured around that even.

So I do agree with the other poster. Stop presenting your opinion as facts.

Last edited:

twilo99

Which simultaneously makes me sad and also…I’m like 2/3rds digital on consoles out of laziness and 100% digital on PC since like…15+ years ago? I didn’t even bother with an optical drive in my new PC build.

When you’ve been on PC for so long, doesn’t physical media feel archaic to you? It does to me.. like going back decades for no reason at all.

lyan

This is from 10 years ago.

"It is unfortunate that the discs are not being read. Request you to try the following steps which may help:

(1) Update the software you use to play Blu-ray movies:
A movie that was released after a movie player released may not play on older versions of Blu-ray hardware and software. This can happen due to copy protection. Blu-ray technology requires an Internet connection for software players. The software player must be updated over the Internet to acquire new encryption codes to help protect the movie industry from piracy. Also, new interactive features may not be recognized by the original software programs and drivers. Some Blu-ray movies feature an enhancement to the Blu-ray specification called BD Profile 1.1. This may prevent a movie from being played, or it may prevent access to the movie menus while using the Quick Play or Media Smart programs."

Not sure how much this applies to the PS5 tho or if its even relevant today.

I'm just amazed that when I look up whats needed for installing a blu ray drive in a PC or any issues with blu ray players on PC...I didnt think DF would have any concerns. Or would be cautiously optimistic since no info is really out there.

Yet here we are.
Off topic but I don't see how this helps stopping piracy in any way and evidently, it hasn't.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
When you’ve been on PC for so long, doesn’t physical media feel archaic to you? It does to me.. like going back decades for no reason at all.
Kinda? But on PC I have backwards compatibility for decades. My Steam account just turned 20 years old and I can still play anything I had then. I can’t just plop in a PS2 disc or login to PSN from 2003 and play a game, I still have my PS2.

If there were some reliable way to play BC games on consoles from previous gens, I’d probably totally forget about physical media. But there’s not.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Nah...
It's just... If they are forcing me so hard to go digital, then I'll do it! Just not on their store.

I understand what you mean. Like if everything is turning into services then might as well switch to the one with the best services

twilo99

Kinda? But on PC I have backwards compatibility for decades. My Steam account just turned 20 years old and I can still play anything I had then. I can’t just plop in a PS2 disc or login to PSN from 2003 and play a game, I still have my PS2.

If there were some reliable way to play BC games on consoles from previous gens, I’d probably totally forget about physical media. But there’s not.

There is.. buy an Xbox lol but no, honestly the BC problems with PS are on Sony for not maintaining compatibility :/

devilNprada

Nintendo have had fantastic backwards compatibility given that for much of their (and gaming's) existence,
Wait what?
I had to buy whole new libraries with every release Nintendo/Super Nintendo/N64/Game Cube/WII
Maybe digital gets better, but none of their physical games were backwards compatible...

Tams

Wait what?
I had to buy whole new libraries with every release Nintendo/Super Nintendo/N64/Game Cube/WII
Maybe digital gets better, but none of their physical games were backwards compatible...

And for other consoles?

My point is that Nintendo are comparatively quite good about it. Even PCs have issues with older games than can usually be fixed, but not always.

devilNprada

And for other consoles?
PS2 played PS1 games... PS3/PS2 games....
Maybe not all, but they at least made the attempt... Not one Nintendo console was backwards compatible.
Edit: Wii U was backwards compatible with the Wii I stand corrected!

Not sure how you think repurchasing games or services on a different platform = backwards compatible?

Last edited:

Tams

PS2 played PS1 games... PS3/PS2 games....
Maybe not all, but they at least made the attempt... Not one Nintendo console was backwards compatible.
Edit: Wii U was backwards compatible with the Wii I stand corrected!

Not sure how you think repurchasing games or services on a different platform = backwards compatible?

Bruh, I even listed it in this thread.

Gameboy --> GBA
GBA --> DS Lite (and also playable on GameCube)
DS (phat) --> New 3DS
GameCube --> Wii (sort of Wii U, but the GameCube wasn't a success so they didn't bother making it workable)

And I didn't include Wii --> Wii U as I thought that should have been obvious.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Have to make it way more complicated than necessary.

Besides that though consoles getting online capability was a mistake, as devs have been relying on it to finish their games after the fact, locking shit behind DLC, and then even if you want to play online you have to pay more to do that (i.e. Xbox Live or PS Plus).

The way PC handles it is the best way; online play is free, people have released fan patches, and mods essentially do the same thing as cosmetic DLC.

Last edited:

RickMasters

That's not the main reason for the disc drive in the PlayStation, as hasn't really been since the PS4. And even then, since the PS2, playing films/winning the film disc format war has been part of the reason for PlayStations having a disc drive.

At this point, it's more that they might as well offer disc releases of games as the console has a disc drive and discs that are good enough to ship games.
Disc format war? What is this 2006? I agree with what you are saying if we’re were talking about the PS3. But things have moved on quite a bit since then. They won the format war years ago as far as discs go….. but what does that matter when physical media is pretty much dead in the water?

kiphalfton

Wait what?

The Wii and Wii U were backwards compatible though.

However, even Nintendo handhelds have pretty much all been backwards compatible. So not sure WTF you're talking about.

For home consoles, before the Wii came out, the only backwards compatible home console was the PS2.

But out of all the console manufacturers, Nintendo has offered the strongest backwards compatibility support, then it's Sony, and then Microsoft (coming in way behind, with their crap selective offering of backwards compatibility, besides Xbox One stuff).

Last edited:
My last consoles were the 360/ps3/Wii generation, I owned all 3.
Since then I went PC only. Always backward compatible, mod as you please, multiple store fronts, completely free to buy any type of accessories ( Headsets, game pads etc) I want instead of only those allowed by the console manufacturers. Plus the PC ecosystem allows for all kinds of indie games that you would never see on console because to get on the console you have to be approved by them.

RickMasters

You are factually wrong though. There are still major advantages for physical media for customers.

4K UHD BluRay disks have normally (if properly done) much higher bitrate then 4K streaming media.

Physical media allows customers to share and resell their purchases. In addition down the line there is some protection against media being pulled from digital services.

Physical media can also be cheaper to purchase depending where you live and ongoing sales. In Europe it’s generally cheaper to go physical if you are looking for Day 1 (or even Day 20) release.

The ones who really benefit from death of physical media are megacorps. Why defend them? Well, unless you are getting paid, and if so nvm.

Arguments that PC went same way are wrong. Unless we are talking Denuvo (and even with some of Denuvo titles), most PC games (or even other media) can be backed up. GoG from CDPR is structured around that even.

So I do agree with the other poster. Stop presenting your opinion as facts.
Defending them? Lol….. I gain nothing by doing that so save it.

Look…. This all gets decided by consumers….. you want to mad at anybody be mad at the general population for moving on with the times. People download movies…. Have been downloading music since 1998, and nobody gave a shit about what that would mean for Vynil, CD, DVDs or blue rays. And they want to download their games too instead of dealing with the GameStops of the world…. But Tell me….. are they defending megacorps too? Or simply moving on with the times…..Maybe you should do the same instead of being all sensitive about it. Physical media is dead. It’s not my fault personally. It’s not anybodys fault. It’s simply the evolution of consumer habits. Don’t take it personally. We are not out to destroy physical media….. I know I do t give enough shots to even care, what even happens to it. I’m simply pointing out that times are changing.

Now…How is that, ‘defending’ megacorp? I’m simply stating the obvious to you. If you actually think anybody has money to waste on paying people to argue digital vs physical media Please show me where I can get paid to share my opinions on a forum like this. It sounds daft that anybody would pay somebody to do so but seeing as you insist that there is an agenda tell me where to sign up…. Sounds like easy fucking money 😂😂😂

What’s discussion worthy here is the fact that the whole industry and consumers en masse are going digital…. And none of them care much about the ‘advantages’ of physical media. It’s not like people are not aware they can’t swap digital content. They have been used to That with music and movies.Younger gamers these are playing free to play stuff like fortnight and apex legends. Online…so what is there to swap or trade anyway?

Your PC gaming argument is also poor. PC gamers were all digital long before DRM.

Yet the industry wants to charge more for these same retail copies you so fiercely defend…. Will you feel that way when standard disc editions are 100 bucks? Who’s gonna sound like a they are defending megacorps, then?

Top Bottom