• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"seems that the [new] PS5 is becoming like the Xbox... in a very bad way" Digital Foundry, or basically how the console are turning into services

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God

That raised on my mind the way a console should work

...so I remember something... I got a Series X day one. I hooked up on my TV and I saw the thing asking that I needed internet to continue to setup. I put a cable annnnnnd didn't go because my broadband was off for some reason. Put my phone to turn into router and continued on the Xbox and everything was running ok... except that the console asked for a mandatory update. Small and fast, but still raised an eyebrow. Then I log everything and put Resident Evil 3 to play... and another small update. In like 10 minutes or so I was playing everything in glorious graphics and framerate. So after the excitement has gone, I was like "that is a lot of bureaucracy to play a fucking game"

The internet today is mostly accessible for a lot of people, and is mostly a fast connection. Still, this isn't about how good your connection is, but when the machine will shut off the services, and having you with a brick that doesn't do shit. Because it's not a matter "if will", it's "when", for one reason or other.

One can say that is "normal" from a software service perspective thing. MMOs dies here and there, and emulation\pirate servers keeps then going. Still, that is a workaround, not how should be. It's sad, but you can understand why they turned off a service. But let me put another example: I have an iPad 3rd gen still alive. Can I download an app? No. the iOS is too old. Can I browse? Yes, for the most part. Can I watch streaming content? Not really. Although I have the apps, they doesn't work and I need to connect to the browse version... and when it works, mostly sucks, like YouTube, which is very much broken. The hardware itself still works fine thou. Maybe I will put some pirated OS later. Not sure. So hey, that's how the PS5 and Series consoles will be in 10 years?

I'm just asking that the console manufactures need to stop the console to turn into a thing that is attached to a service thing. We only have the Switch now. Turn it on, put the cartridge and there you go. That's how a console should work. And having only one in a land of three, that sucks.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Just wait until the PS6 and Next Xbox. Anyone who thinks a console is releasing with an optical drive in 2027/2028 is living in a dream world.

Jurassic Park Hold Onto Your Butts GIF

Beechos

Dont you worry, it's coming to nintendo too.
Nintendo hasn't done this because they are currently incapable of doing this. Their infrastructure is so far behind ms and sony. They are prob the biggest pains in the asses with trying to protect their stuff.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Just wait until the PS6 and Next Xbox. Anyone who thinks a console is releasing with an optical drive in 2027/2028 is living in a dream world.

Which simultaneously makes me sad and also…I’m like 2/3rds digital on consoles out of laziness and 100% digital on PC since like…15+ years ago? I didn’t even bother with an optical drive in my new PC build.

Lokaum D+

this again ? ins't the online a one time thing just to validate the hardware ?

imagine been mad after the install of a new GPU and u need to be online in order to update the drivers.

"Hey i just got a new RTX4090 but is running like shit"
" U need to go online to update the drivers"
Godofwar GIF by PlayStation

Last edited:

Sure buddy.

If one company releases a digital only console the other company can release one with a drive and has a huge advantage from fans of physical media.

I find It funny that nobody thinks about this and that there's only one way that both companies will release digital only consoles.

If both really do this what's the point playing on console. More and more people Switch to PC gaming. Cheaper game prices and free online gaming.

If both companies really do this I'm also switching completely to PC gaming.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Looks like I got the last real physical machine PlayStation will ever put out with og PS5. This slim just has a physical drive as an after thought, and when they finally do go all-digital I'll have no use for PlayStation whatsoever.
Lets hope that the PS5 Pro will have a disc drive included as that would prove that Sony does not plan for that yet. But if the Pro exist and the disc drive is optional then I think that you may be right.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
If the connection is needed only for the setup, I don't see it as a big problem. Some shops will even do that Blu ray drive link for you.
But if is a always online thing...

imagine been mad after the instalation of a new GPU and u need to be online in order to update the drivers.

We are so close, just patiently waiting for some PC folks that upgrade parts, build PCs to chime in.

I didn't put a blu ray drive in my PC, and building my PC was such a headache I can't remember what I did and didn't have to do.

Nydius

If I can buy digital keys like I do for pc I'll go all digital. Picked robo cop up for 25 quid on steam. But, I'm not paying 70 squid for a digital single player with no multi that I can complete in a weekend.
Precisely. PC has the benefit of multiple storefronts. While Steam remains the predominant one, the existence of ones like GoG, Humble, and even Windows Store allows for pricing competition and a wealth of sales.

Digital only on console is a SINGLE storefront that won’t have any competition outside of gray market key resellers.

I’d have no problem with console digital future if it were more like PC and not these monopoly storefronts where you have no competition outside of buying the other platform and their monopoly storefront.

Vol5

I'm just asking that the console manufactures need to stop the console to turn into a thing that is attached to a service thing. We only have the Switch now. Turn it on, put the cartridge and there you go. That's how a console should work. And having only one in a land of three, that sucks.

Almost positive my XBOX One didn't get through initial setup without it being connected to the internet. Was a fucking shitshow.

This has been on the boil for years and now Sony and probably Nintendo will be doing the same in the coming years for the hardware. Fuck sake, can't even play the games I pay for if I'm disconnected from the internet because "Can't retrieve a license" and that's on PS5.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If I can buy digital keys like I do for pc I'll go all digital. Picked robo cop up for 25 quid on steam. But, I'm not paying 70 squid for a digital single player with no multi that I can complete in a weekend.
Exactly. People always scream "BUT PC IS DIGITAL FOR 20 YEARS !!!"
Well listen - pc is an open market. Tons of stores, key resellers, ways to get games and then on top of that you have FULL access to your files, can crack, mod the game or play any patch version you want.
On consoles? None of that. With disc, you at least get retailers pricing each other out, used market, ownership and can play 1.0 elden ring for example.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
We only have the Switch now. Turn it on, put the cartridge and there you go. That's how a console should work. And having only one in a land of three, that sucks.

100%, this is why I still only buy Playstation products reluctantly--my PS5 was the least-worst option for playing high end games on the TV. Frankly, I find their primary leadership (and MS) to be objectively awful people who make the world a tangibly worse place simply by being alive--particularly the western divisions in the case of Sony.

Nintendo is still a little different. They have the business drones in some of the leadership, but the ship is still largely run by people (Sakurai, Miyamoto, Aonuma, etc) who clearly are in it for the craft of gaming and never permit outside agendas or purely cynical business agendas to interfere with that.

Dont you worry, it's coming to nintendo too.
Nintendo hasn't done this because they are currently incapable of doing this. Their infrastructure is so far behind ms and sony. They are prob the biggest pains in the asses with trying to protect their stuff.

No one is 100% safe but I think it's incorrect to say that Nintendo is only held back by infrastructure -- they are also very different in nature due to their heavy emphasis on the family market. It's still in 2023 a significant part of their commitment to be able to let a parent buy a physical system and game for a kid, hand it to them for a long car ride, and know that it will simply work out of the box without any internet. Anything short of that would betray a huge part of their market.

Planned obsolescence, many people kept playing their PS2 and Xbox 360 well after the next generation of consoles. If consoles adopt the Ipad model that'll force customers to purchase the next hardware that comes out.

And you know this is what they want too.

I hate the way this industry is going right now. It's a very Grim future unless you're a casual who has no problem with everything being a service.

Well listen - pc is an open market. Tons of stores, key resellers, ways to get games and then on top of that you have FULL access to your files, can crack, mod the game or play any patch version you want.
On consoles? None of that. With disc, you at least get retailers pricing each other out, used market, ownership and can play 1.0 elden ring for example.

Exactly. I'm worried having a huge digital library on consoles. I was hoping for things to get better in the future as far as drm goes. "Gamers will revolt if these companies keep taking away our games, right?" That's what I thought but not anymore. Sony and particularly MS are straight up evil in how they view their very closed platforms. In short, console gamers are already treated like SHIT and console gamers are the biggest sheep's in the world with what we "accept" from these companies.

Codes 208

imagine been mad after the instalation of a new GPU and u need to be online in order to update the drivers.

Or imagine being an xbox owner. Every xbox from the xb1 up to the series x require online to set the console up

Thanks to that, im used to this shit. This is a non-issue to me.

Last edited:

NeonDelta

Lets hope that the PS5 Pro will have a disc drive included as that would prove that Sony does not plan for that yet. But if the Pro exist and the disc drive is optional then I think that you may be right.
I’m fully expecting the ps5 pro to come without one but will allow the add on disc drive to be connected.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Sure buddy.

If one company releases a digital only console the other company can release one with a drive and has a huge advantage from fans of physical media.

I find It funny that nobody thinks about this and that there's only one way that both companies will release digital only consoles.

If both really do this what's the point playing on console. More and more people Switch to PC gaming. Cheaper game prices and free online gaming.

If both companies really do this I'm also switching completely to PC gaming.

PC software hasn't been produced on discs for YEARS. Best Buy is stopping physical movie sales this year. There's only one disc replication plant in all of North America. By 2027/2028 consoles will be all digital like PCs have been for a decade.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

PS6 will still support physical, an replacable add on disc drive, we can see Sony is testing the water with the PS5 slim.

Xbox on the other hand, big chances they will eliminate physical support

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The thing is...if the Pro is based on these new models with the removable drive, its still gonna ask for it to connect before it can be used. Saw this with the CoD bundle that had the disc drive.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Exactly. Until the console makers let devs generate keys at will and sell them on their own like Steam does, I would never buy a digital only console. There are less and less reasons to own one as it is. I think going forward I will just commit to PC + Nintendo. I haven’t turned on my ps5 since the FFXVI demo.

//DEVIL//

Internet required for the ps5 slim disc drive is the least of it's problems.

I don't worry about a system like that 20 years from now because quite honestly I will no longer play on that system no matter what.

- all of these gsmes will be emulated on PC assuming there is no native port. With emulation being superior version
- I no longer collect consoles. I stopped seeing the value of this. Like I said I want to play a favorite old game, I'll just play it on PC. Consoles will always die whatever battery or capacitors or just old are, your blue ray games...not so much.

I get it, it sucks for collectors... But then again you still have the option to buy the fat ps5 ( which you really should because the slim is shit )

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
PS6 will still support disc.

Most devs will still produce physical copies, of course some will abandon it.

You think all physical copies will just vanished next gen? come on.
I think PS/Xbox are 80% digital. Switch is less. it'll get to a point it'll be close enough to 100% digital that console makers go 100% digital. Just like PC. How many people buy any kind of software on PC on disc? My new laptop I got in the summer doesn't even have an optical drive.

Last edited:

SHA

Guys, it's not worth all the drama, if shit really bothers you then buy a pc, I'm not trying to be mean, I mean it seriously, the support is beyond expectations, don't just look at benchmark graphs, that doesn't show the whole experience, when you look at the amount of possibilities you could do, you'll understand how valuable this stuff really is, a general purpose device is not a downside as many naysayers say about pc, it's a complement if you reason it with your daily tasks, you can't actually think of not having a pc, it's unthinkable, you don't really have a choice to not own one so why not make it premium to boost your experience?

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I think PS/Xbox are 80% digital. Switch is less. it'll get to a point it'll be close enough to 100% digital that console makers go 100% digital. Just like PC. How many people buy any kind of software on PC on disc? My new laptop I got in the summer doesn't even have an optical drive.
I think PS6 is probably the last gen with physical media since more and more devs will abandon the physical media.

Btw isnt Sony currently entering other markets as well? im not sure their internet infrastructure is good enough to support digital download only...

Banjo64

cumsessed

I’m in 2 minds because they would be conceding countries with developing infrastructure.

That said, wouldn’t be surprised if the west only receive digital and then they sell disc drive add ons where the internet is crap,

Top Bottom