• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My life at Rockstar games" blog about working conditions at San Diego during RDR

catapult37 said:
So glad that people like you are commenting and responding in this thread. I'm going to guess that many of the detractors in here are not old enough to have ever actually interviewed for a job, much less held one. Anyone who is out of school would agree that the lunch bit, for instance, was certainly outside of normal interview etiquette.
I'm old enough to realize that something like "normal interview etiquette" is pretty damn low on the list of things that matter and are worth paying any mind to.

Give unemployment a try for a while and see how much you care about an interviewer buying you lunch.

CrankyJay

Banned
Sharkington said:
I'm old enough to realize that something like "normal interview etiquette" is pretty damn low on the list of things that matter and are worth paying any mind to.

Give unemployment a try for a while and see how much you care about an interviewer buying you lunch.

Then they shouldn't make it a lunch interview. :lol

Redbeard

Banned
Wait, so is R* North working on Agent right now and not the next GTA game?

Or are they a big enough studio to handle both?

CrankyJay said:
Then they shouldn't make it a lunch interview. :lol
True, but they payed for the flight. I think that's good enough, but apparently that's not the way things are normally done, so I'm out of my mind.

Sharkington said:
That would be a valid observation if the guy was down on his luck and anxious to jump on the first opportunity to get a paycheck. Instead, it's coming from the perspective of someone who felt he had the luxury of being picky in choosing the right career opportunity.

StuBurns

Banned
The lunch thing was just his way of articulating what made him doubt the other job was for him as he saw him having to pay as a failure in the operation of the company, which was ultimately why he drew the parallel to begin with.

Redbeard said:
Wait, so is R* North working on Agent right now and not the next GTA game?

Or are they a big enough studio to handle both?
They really need to be working on both I'd imagine. Unless Agent is canned or move to another studio. Last gen there was a different Rockstar studio working on it.

.GqueB.

Banned
I dont see how this is different from any other job in the art/entertainment field. My first job out of school as a graphic designer was the same. I only got paid for 40 hours but the only difference was my days started off at 10 hours and only went up from there.

I had last minute pitches, had to stay until 3am more than a few times because we didnt get assignments until 6pm for something due the next day. Vague instructions, inefficiency. Its not really any different many other places. Its hard to find a place NOT like this in some way really.

But I guess his point was that at such a big company he expected things to not be run this way which I wouldnt agree with. I think with bigger companies youre not treated much like an individual just that guy doing that thing for them that youre getting paid for. Thats why I'll never work in a "corporate" environment.

beat

Sharkington said:

He had two offers on the table; he wasn't forced to take whatever he could.

That said, the start of the story is also a lesson that the interview process is also for you to know what you're potentially getting into. Ask what your responsibilities will be. Ask what the turnover's been like. Ask how well the last few milestones went. Ask about their processes, both to see if they've got their heads on straight and if you can work within those processes. If you can, ask what the hours are like. (Though it's probably wiser not to give the impression that you're out the door at 5pm every day.) If the interview somehow didn't cover it, but it went well otherwise, ask to meet who you'll be working with day-to-day.

Steve Youngblood said:
Ha! But what I was getting at was asking for clarification so that when I agreed and said "totally," I'd know if we were in agreement about Rockstar being awesome alpha males who know how to land conquest after conquest on naive targets by laying on the right amount of charm, or if we're agreeing that Rockstar is the immature jerk who preys upon women who mistake their bravado for sincerity and wind up hurt afterward?
Or, more succinctly, I was calling your comparison uninsightful.
It can't be a little of both and they can't be just as shameful?

It seems like their is a period of new guy time that you have to put up with at a job that he was unwilling to tolerate. I have had many jobs and one thing I've learned is you can't just go in and start beating the old beehive to change things. You have to put on your bee suit and bee hat and work for the queen a little bit before you can taste that sweet delicious bee nectar.

lord pie

jred2k said:
The lack of communication explains why the people working on the end of the game thought they were designing the tutorial.

That really boggles my mind. It does explain the early endgame missions being so simplistic (crow shooting, etc). Although to be fair I actually enjoyed the change of pace a lot - until it all went shooting gallery again.

I suspect a lot of people underestimate how demanding and draining creative work in the game industry can be. It becomes especially hard if you are fighting management or culture, let alone working the equivalent of a second job with overtime (I can't even imagine what that'd do to me).

Sharkington said:

I'm just saying that the kinds of things he notes as omissions are perfectly legit for what is essentially a corporate office environment. The lack of orientation procedures is a great example. Certainly anyone in need of a job in this economy would not scoff at such things when an offer is on the table, but that wasn't the case here.

practice02 said:
It can't be a little of both and they can't be just as shameful?

It seems like their is a period of new guy time that you have to put up with at a job that he was unwilling to tolerate. I have had many jobs and one thing I've learned is you can't just go in and start beating the old beehive to change things. You have to put on your bee suit and bee hat and work for the queen a little bit before you can taste that sweet delicious bee nectar.

I'm getting a real buzz off this post.

legend166

It doesn't surprise me that RDR came out of that environment.

It's the very definition of a product being brute forced. The components of a game that cannot be done through brute force (gameplay) are the low points, whilst the environment is spectacular. And when you've got a couple hundred people working 12 hour days for a year, it's basically impossible not to have a spectacular, large environment.

Reading this makes me happy I didn't actually pay for RDR though. Thanks Choc!

StuBurns

Banned
legend166 said:
It doesn't surprise me that RDR came out of that environment.

It's the very definition of a product being brute forced. The components of a game that cannot be done through brute force (gameplay) are the low points, whilst the environment is spectacular. And when you've got a couple hundred people working 12 hour days for a year, it's basically impossible not to have a spectacular, large environment.

Reading this makes me happy I didn't actually pay for RDR though. Thanks Choc!
I don't think RDR's weakness are evidence of a rocky development so much as indicative of the genre it's in.

Maybe Agent will be the game where Rockstar finally do a very short, very focused single player campaign within a sandbox environment.

Three Leaf Clover is the best mission of all the GTA4 content, and better than anything in RDR. Of course it also appears to be the most demanding in terms of the work that went into it. I've spoken to a few people about it, and the consensus always seems to be that players would prefer twenty missions of that quality to the eighty of mixed quality they put in their games.

tassletine

He doesn't seem to understand that the way people work is intertwined with the final result. He doesn't have enough of a top down view of Rockstar's loose world building process, to criticise it properly.

For instance he complains about the fact that the other artist was poor but fast, but doesn't seem to understand that he could (and probably was) only given a portion of graphics to refine. A section of rough objects pulled from a much larger pile, that the original artist did many more of, at high speed.

KingJ2002

I can definitely relate to this guy... and especially the hack work that goes on, the "job security" mentality... uggh

you feel like you entered a damned if you do / damned if you dont situation.

but at the end of the day... as long as you don't get comfortable you can walk away with a clear head... a little bitter but you don't have to champion change that clearly the company doesn't want.

this blog post might work against him though... i can't imagine him finding his next job as easy because he aired out rockstar's bullshit

.GqueB.

Banned
KingJ2002 said:
I can definitely relate to this guy... and especially the hack work that goes on, the "job security" mentality... uggh

you feel like you entered a damned if you do / damned if you dont situation.

but at the end of the day... as long as you don't get comfortable you can walk away with a clear head... a little bitter but you don't have to champion change that clearly the company doesn't want.

this blog post might work against him though... i cant imagine him finding his next job as easy because he aired out rockstar's bullshit
Yea I agree with that last bit. You never bad mouth your previous employer especially in such a public space like the internet. You do it at a bar after work with your buddies and even then you have to be careful.

A friend of mine I was working with was trying to find another job and when he told me he was talking shit about our company during his interviews I almost slapped him. Yea they'll laugh and scoff with you but when all is said and done theyre gonna think "...wait... he'll probably do the same to us."

element

KingJ2002 said:
this blog post might work against him though... i can't imagine him finding his next job as easy because he aired out rockstar's bullshit
If you read what he has done sense, it is pretty clear he isn't returning to the game industry.

.GqueB.

Banned
Wait did anyone actually go to this guys website? Zero Dean... the ZERO dean experience

minime1.jpg

Shiggy

Blog post removed.

Were you expecting something else? — I’m sorry to disappoint you. People were ignoring the attached warning & the disclaimer and altering words & punctuation slightly — and/or drawing conclusions to fit their need for a “story”. Folks were also reposting without permission. I had to remove it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I AM JOHN! said:
Isn't the Rockstar budget currently at $70 million without advertising?

Unless you're including the cost of Agent thus far, I highly doubt that. Team Bondi aren't a big studio.

Zizbuka

Banned
stuminus3 said:
So working for a videogame company is pretty much the same as working anywhere else?

I still don't get why people in this industry think they're special.

I don't think so. I work for a major investment company. My team's responsible for a small part of the web site, the web site in all most likely a much bigger project than a video game. There are probably 30 teams working on various pieces, maybe 400 or so people. Somehow, it's all run very efficiently, and working conditions are actually very good.

Maybe R* should look into Agile Development.................................... or maybe not. :D

Effect

stuminus3 said:
So working for a videogame company is pretty much the same as working anywhere else?

I still don't get why people in this industry think they're special.

Don't know where you've worked but this isn't normal at all. At least not at a decent place of employment. If someone does something wrong expect them to be talked to but nothing said, if all true, even suggest the responses gotten were warranted. There are also to many reports from other former employees regarding Rockstar Games and how they treat people. It's not about being treated special but treated decently and expecting common sense to be apart of the situation.

StuBurns

Banned
JaseC said:
Unless you're including the cost of Agent thus far, I highly doubt that. Team Bondi aren't a big studio.
Why would that include Agent?

LA Noire has been an infamous cash sink, but I was surprised to see the $70m number. However when really considered, they're also not fucking around with their casting, I recognized most of the actors in the tech demo video for example. Those guys can't be coming cheap.

$70m seems like a lot, but they burnt thru $40m in three years, and it's been three years since then, and the studio would have had to expand for asset production I'd imagine. Seems a lot higher than I'd have thought, but really not that surprising.

All that being said, it looks like something really special to me, I hope it can make money.

Just a heads up this thread isn't about Agent. It's about working conditions at Rockstar San Diego or other Rockstar studios. Thanks.

StuBurns said:

LA Noire has been an infamous cash sink, but I was surprised to see the $70m number. However when really considered, they're also not fucking around with their casting, I recognized most of the actors in the tech demo video for example. Those guys can't be coming cheap.

$70m seems like a lot, but they burnt thru $40m in three years, and it's been three years since then, and the studio would have had to expand for asset production I'd imagine. Seems a lot higher than I'd have thought, but really not that surprising.

All that being said, it looks like something really special to me, I hope it can make money.

With a 100 millions budget cost for RDR, I'm not surprised. Still, it's a shame Rockstar likes to waste so much money. It's the designers and the artists who end up paying the price when it's all over.

Kittonwy

Banned
StuBurns said:

I wonder if they ramped up production even more after 3 years just to get moving on the project, the tech is very interesting and we're basically dealing with the same high concept bullshit that people think must succeed or else we won't get any more of this stuff but they've shown absolutely no actual gameplay, and McNamara isn't exactly a director who keeps a keen eye on basic gameplay mechanics, and I'm not talking about some fucking dialogue wheel, but everything from basic character controls, gunplay and level design.

Shiggy said:
Blog post removed.

Uh oh.

hsukardi

Rockstar = Blizzard?

Games put out infrequently, crazy long dev cycles, most if not all turn out to be flawless.

I've never heard about work conditions from within Blizzard though.

theBishop said:
Just like we see in the film and sports industries! All these crazy Russian, Chinese, and Indian films have completely overtaken Hollywood in the US. I don't understand it!

Maybe not to those countries, but a good chunk of the film and tv industry has run to Canada.

Massa

hsukardi said:
Rockstar = Blizzard?

Games put out infrequently, crazy long dev cycles, most if not all turn out to be flawless.

I've never heard about work conditions from within Blizzard though.

Red Dead Redemption is far from flawless, it's a very glitchy game (which is no surprise - stressed and tired programmers make a lot more mistakes).

This just in: working at a video game production company isn't like working at Brainasiam. That is, unless, you have a car bed.

Shin Johnpv said:
Maybe not to those countries, but a good chunk of the film and tv industry has run to Canada.

Where those films and TV shows are made by unionised Canadian workers. Unions have nothing to do with that, the migration of production is all down to exchange rates and tax breaks. Canada's down with the proletariat's struggle.

The stuff he writes about working conditions and pay is a big sign that the industry needs unionisation, and on a wider scale, that the US needs legislation to protect worker's rights. But since even a bill to offer free healthcare to people can't pass there I don't think anyone posting on this board can expect to see anything like the European Working Time directive in the US in their lifetime.

Thank God someone saved the blog. I really hate when people pull this shit of writing something potentially inflammatory only to pull it when people pick up on it. Stand by what you wrote or never hit publish to begin with, you pussy.

Top Bottom